2023 Draft Live Discussion Thread

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Throwing more assets at Joke Barry while expecting Jordan Love to succeed with a pass-catching corps that even Aaron F’ing Rodgers couldn’t make work sure seems like a recipe for long term success to me.

The draft is only 25 picks in. Seems a little early to complain about getting Love WR help since historically they never do that in the 1st.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, point is that maybe that’s the issue lol

And historically they've done really well in the 2nd.

Lets be honest, they have a ton of holes that need filling. Grabbing a WR in the 1st was more important in the last 3 years for Rodgers. This year they need help across the board. Everywhere.

Basically 2 things upset people on draft day in the 1st round. Picking a guy above where the board is slotted (picking a guy #20 where 'the board' has him at 40) and not picking an offensive weapon which is the equivalent of getting a new toy on Christmas. The Packers in the 1st round are always are the aunt that gives us socks on Christmas. In the past few years, I wanted the Packers to get a new toy under the tree. This year... they need f'n socks (and underwear)

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t deny that we’ve done well in the 2nd. My issue is more with how we’ve done continually investing our 1sts on defense. But hey, maybe this year will finally be different….

Yeah, we need socks, but it feels like we’re giving them to a guy who’s just as liable to put them on his hands and think they’re gloves, to maintain the metaphor

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the plus side with two early seconds I’d like to think we’ll have a crack at one of Mayer, Musgrave, Washington, or someone like Hyatt or Reed…

And I didn’t want him in the first but I wouldn’t hate Branch if the value is there tbh.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My issue is more with how we’ve done continually investing our 1sts on defense.

Can't say that doesn't bug me too on some level, but way less this year given the needs. Avoiding giving Barry more tools to use because you are afraid he might poke his eye out with him isn't wise. (Really wish he was gone too, but.. unfortunately he isn't)

I will say though, they really need a TE. I'll be miffed if they don't get one of the worthwhile top 4 TE's in the 2nd with one of their picks. TE is a glaring need IMHO.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t deny that we’ve done well in the 2nd. My issue is more with how we’ve done continually investing our 1sts on defense. But hey, maybe this year will finally be different….

Rashan Gary is a freaking BEAST and we are barely removed from his draft year??

Jaire Alexander is a freaking BEAST and we are barely removed from his draft year??

I firmly believe that there are folks that believe GB should always regardless of prospects available, other needs on the team simply draft a WR.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My favorite 3 or so of each position going into Day 2, tried to only put guys I could see using a 2nd round pick:

TE - Mayer / Washington / LaPorta / Musgrave
WR - Hyatt / Tillman / Mingo
OT - Jones (RT) / Bergeron (Freeland is there but not worth more than a 3rd IMO)
iOL - JMS / Torrence / Avila

EDGE/OLB Types - Keion White / Ojulari / Foskey / Hall
DL Types - Adebawore / Benton
DBs - Brown / Stevenson / DJ Turner / Brents
LB - Sanders / Simpson

If we look to the third I add:

TE - Kraft, Schoonmaker
WR - X Hutchinson / Rice / Mims / Wilson
OT - Freeland / Steen
iOL - Tippman / Zavala

EDGE/OLB Types - McGuire / Brooks
DL Types - Turner / Ika / Ojomo
DBs - Trice / Rush / Martin / Moss / Robinson / Johnson (both)
LB - Overshown

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My favorite 3 or so of each position going into Day 2, tried to only put guys I could see using a 2nd round pick:

OT - Jones (RT) / Bergeron (Freeland is there but not worth more than a 3rd IMO)

LB - Sanders / Simpson

TE - Kraft, Schoonmaker
OT - Freeland / Steen
iOL - Tippman / Zavala

LB - Overshown
1. Washington (pending medical)
2. Meyer
3. Hyatt
4. S Branch
5. Musgrave
6. Mauch
7. DL Adabaore
8. Benton
9. Bergeron
10. Tillman
11. Mingo

That's about my list for our next 2 picks..

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

LB - Sanders / Simpson

TE - Kraft, Schoonmaker
OT - Freeland / Steen
iOL - Tippman / Zavala

LB - Overshown
Heading into Round 2 that's a pretty good list. Since Gute went Edge with #13 and moving Tariq Carpenter to ILB (now have 5 ILB's on the roster) I think both of the positions are "off the table" for Day 2.

Also, from Pre-draft visits Jaquelin Roy - DT may sneak into the 3rd round group.

Wouldn't be sad if in Round 2 Gute grabs a TE & either a WR, DT, or OT tonight.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I am quite confident we end up with three picks in the second round. I think we will trade away this years third and potentially next years third for a late second or this years third and next years second (ours not the conditional) to nab another top 50 or so pick. Gute is gonna move around tonight...he may even trade off of 42 to pick up one additional 90-120 pick depending on move and then execute a trade up.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, point is that maybe that’s the issue lol
Brooks, Freeman, Driver, Nelson, Jennings, Jones, Cobb, Adams, Watson. Which of those were first round picks?

Packers have drafted exactly 5 WRs in the first round. Two HOFers, two busts, and one flash in the pan.

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brooks, Freeman, Driver, Nelson, Jennings, Jones, Cobb, Adams, Watson. Which of those were first round picks?

Packers have drafted exactly 5 WRs in the first round. Two HOFers, two busts, and one flash in the pan.
“We drafted some good WRs outside of the first round, and out of the whopping five WRs we did draft in the first round only two of them were HoF players, therefore there’s no reason to suggest we should consider drafting a WR in the first more frequently”

Compelling logic I must admit

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just feel like Joey Porter Jr has to be a steeler but just don’t feel it. I suspect they’re trading as they gotta have gotten tons of offers

Members online