2022 Salary Cap Riddle/Thread/Discussion

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if fans will ever stop believing that myth.

How is that a myth?

Tom Brady sacrificed to win Super Bowls

"Brady was smart enough to see through that vanity trap. He chased what really mattered. He built relationships with everyone who could help him, mastering every technique and detail in pursuit of Super Bowl rings. He knew that real wealth and true riches came after the trophies, and not before. He knew that nobody in the NFL can make more than a championship is worth."

-
DAN BICKLEY

There is an intrinsic value in winning a championship. Just look at some the members in media i.e. James Jones. He is prominent on the NFL Network and its a fair guess to say winning a ring contributed to that.

There are so many examples of the benefits that come with being a champion independent of paper money.

Last edited:

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which I respect...so let's discuss thought process behind what you presented is all.

My thought process is... how can Green Bay maximize this roster and actually fulfill its decade long potential of winning another championship.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
M thought process is... how can Green Bay maximize this roster and actually fulfill its decade long potential of winning another championship.

How are you getting two concensus first rounders and another many feel might as well (Mafe) though in the draft? You want Gute to trade future 1s and 2s and deeper picks to make it happen?

Barno at ILB, was it something in his tape that makes you believe he is an off ball inside linebacker?? VT even played him with his hand down a ton last year and was listed as an edge on the combine site, yet when was on film for measurables (running forty and else) he had DL by his name. I like takes of thoughts few feel will happen, so you gotta flesh this out some for me.

Gotta flesh out the release Lowry move and then no mention of needing DL help when that leaves us with Clark and then massive drop off to a Slaton (rookie last year) and Heflin (rookie last year) to fill his void and the whole DL room...a room which already was depleted of depth and potential when Keke walked and Lancaster most likely gone. I'm assuming you have very high hopes that Slaton has it click and he is an animal?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a hypothetical....at the costs we are seeing arguably similar producing WRs like Cedric Wilson command over $7M a year....Lazard tendered is just shy of $4M.

If a team calls and offers a second rounder what do you do if you're Gute?

My answer would depend on whether I feel confident Adams and us are going to work things out....if I'm hesitant or not sure I do not want to lose the familiar Lazard. If I am decently confident I'll jump at that deal and gamble finding a replacement in the draft.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a hypothetical....at the costs we are seeing arguably similar producing WRs like Cedric Wilson command over $7M a year....Lazard tendered is just shy of $4M.

My answer would depend on whether I feel confident Adams and us are going to work things out....if I'm hesitant or not sure I do not want to lose the familiar Lazard. If I am decently confident I'll jump at that deal and gamble finding a replacement in the draft.

This is a good question. Which way do they go with this. There are so many things that connect together like a spider web. I'll bet the bean counters in GB have nightmares.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Depends on the team, ie. where that pick lands in the second round. I like Lazard and if Adams isn't playing, we would need him for sure. If Adams is playing, I would prefer the Packers try to land a decent #2 WR via Free Agency. I am expecting Amari to be better and if Lazard is just going to be a #4 WR, I would rather save the money and take a pick in the #33-#45 range.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends on the team, ie. where that pick lands in the second round. I like Lazard and if Adams isn't playing, we would need him for sure. If Adams is playing, I would prefer the Packers try to land a decent #2 WR via Free Agency. I am expecting Amari to be better and if Lazard is just going to be a #4 WR, I would rather save the money and take a pick in the #33-#45 range.

Shared elsewhere...but many of us forget just how efficient of a receiving weapon Lazard is when called on as well, one of these is Lazard the other is Kirk the last three years compared:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How are you getting two concensus first rounders and another many feel might as well (Mafe) though in the draft? You want Gute to trade future 1s and 2s and deeper picks to make it happen?

Barno at ILB, was it something in his tape that makes you believe he is an off ball inside linebacker?? VT even played him with his hand down a ton last year and was listed as an edge on the combine site, yet when was on film for measurables (running forty and else) he had DL by his name. I like takes of thoughts few feel will happen, so you gotta flesh this out some for me.

Gotta flesh out the release Lowry move and then no mention of needing DL help when that leaves us with Clark and then massive drop off to a Slaton (rookie last year) and Heflin (rookie last year) to fill his void and the whole DL room...a room which already was depleted of depth and potential when Keke walked and Lancaster most likely gone. I'm assuming you have very high hopes that Slaton has it click and he is an animal?

Lol. All I did was list players I like. Never said what round to take them nor...yes I said nor...did I list any of these players in any kind of particular order.

I think Jameson Williams is gonna fall a bit. He did tear his ACL in the CFB Championship. Reports show he is progressing, but that injury may scare off teams

As for Barno. He is a raw prospect. He is listed as an Edge, but last time I checked, a pass rush can come from any defensive position. Also, he is capable of doing other things from the LB position.

As long as you have a healthy Kenny Clark, the depth of the D-Line can be replenished at a relatively cheaper cost than other premium defensive positions.

If releasing Lowry ensures that Davante Adams retires a Green Bay Packer...well...

Also, I don't care about what historically this position does this...blah blah blah, who gives a damn.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol. All I did was list players I like. Never said what round to take them nor...yes I said nor...did I list any of these players in any kind of particular order.

I think Jameson Williams is gonna fall a bit. He did tear his ACL in the CFB Championship. Reports show he is progressing, but that injury may scare off teams

As for Barno. He is a raw prospect. He is listed as an Edge, but last time I checked, a pass rush can come from any defensive position. Also, he is capable of doing other things from the LB position.

As long as you have a healthy Kenny Clark, the depth of the D-Line can be replenished at a relatively cheaper cost than other premium defensive positions.

If releasing Lowry ensures that Davante Adams retires a Green Bay Packer...well...

Also, I don't care about what historically this position does this...blah blah blah, who gives a damn.

LOL...so you close with ignoring actual tendencies, positional facts and/or reason. Gotcha.

I say add Aidan Hutchinson, Evan Neal, Chris Olave, Jordan Davis then and would love to see Kayvon Thibodeaux play out of ILB....

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL...so you close with ignoring actual tendencies, positional facts and/or reason. Gotcha.

I say add Aidan Hutchinson, Evan Neal, Chris Olave, Jordan Davis then and would love to see Kayvon Thibodeaux play out of ILB....
Gotcha. I answered your question and you focus on my last statement.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotcha. I answered your question and you focus on my last statement.

Not at all however I understand your statements don’t seem to be IMO defended but is what it is.

Thank goodness we don’t deplete our DL more than it already is as discussed

D

Deleted member 6794

Help me understand that, is it because of his signing bonus structure?

It's pretty straight forward. If a team designates a player as a post June 1st cut no matter the structure his cap number won't be reduced until June 1.

How is that a myth?

Tom Brady sacrificed to win Super Bowls

"Brady was smart enough to see through that vanity trap. He chased what really mattered. He built relationships with everyone who could help him, mastering every technique and detail in pursuit of Super Bowl rings. He knew that real wealth and true riches came after the trophies, and not before. He knew that nobody in the NFL can make more than a championship is worth."

-
DAN BICKLEY

There is an intrinsic value in winning a championship. Just look at some the members in media i.e. James Jones. He is prominent on the NFL Network and its a fair guess to say winning a ring contributed to that.

There are so many examples of the benefits that come with being a champion independent of paper money.

If you take a look at the numbers (I have posted them on several occasions around here) it's just not true that Brady took less money.

That's not how it works though. Lazard is still free to negotiate with every other team in the league. If he signs an offer sheet with another club the Packers have the chance to match it. If they decide to pass on it they will receive that team's second rounder.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you take a look at the numbers (I have posted them on several occasions around here) it's just not true that Brady took less money.

I find your comment misleading.

It's true Tom Brady never took money less than his "perceived" market value.

Its true Tom Brady didn't give the Patriots any financial discounts. He took what he felt he was worth.

However, Tom Brady's sacrifice wasn't that he took less, Brady's sacrifice was not taking more.

This guy won MVPs, won Super Bowls, and didn't try to break the bank for Robert Kraft.

He was never greedy.

He kept the construction of the roster, which is a direct correlation for success, in his mind.

I was never a Tom Brady, I'm still not. But I respect the hell out of him, because year after year since I was 16, Brady has proven he is all about winning.

For the first time I find myself really questioning is that what Rodgers is all about. Only time will tell.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's pretty straight forward. If a team designates a player as a post June 1st cut no matter the structure his cap number won't be reduced until June 1.

That's not how it works though. Lazard is still free to negotiate with every other team in the league. If he signs an offer sheet with another club the Packers have the chance to match it. If they decide to pass on it they will receive that team's second rounder.

First point, gotcha so no savings now - only potential savings in future. Thanks!

Sorry I condensed the hypothetical down to the wrong way, yes a team doesn't just offer a 2nd, they have to first present a deal to Lazard he is willing to do and then we can match OR get a second.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When some people argue that Brady took less money they argue that because he likely could have made more as a free agent it means he took a pay cut or less money. In reality, like you said, Brady got every dollar of every contract he signed (up until the current one which remains to be seen). Just because he signed for less than he could have gotten from someone else doesn't mean he didn't get everything the Patriots owed him. I do give him credit for possibly not taking the Patriots to the cleaners whenever he had the chance.

He may have taken a salary reduction in exchange for some sort of bonus to reduce cap hits along the way but he didn't give any money back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Amos restructured and adds an additional $4.7M to our cap number.
Good move to keep Amos. When you say "adds" do you mean it increases the current Cap number that we are at or the amount we have to spend? I assume the latter?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good move to keep Amos. When you say "adds" do you mean it increases the current Cap number that we are at or the amount we have to spend? I assume the latter?

I corrected it. This is purely a cap restructure (kicking can) - as I read it no additional years are added so his contract ends still after this year unless we extend him. We will have a $4.7M dead cap hit in 2023 as we added void years in 2023, 2024 and 2025 to make this savings.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I corrected it. This is purely a cap restructure (kicking can) - as I read it no additional years are added so his contract ends still after this year unless we extend him. We will have a $4.7M dead cap hit in 2023 as we added void years in 2023, 2024 and 2025 to make this savings.
If the Packers were a business that actively traded on the stock exchange, I would be getting ready to buy short in 2025. Yes, the cap is going up, but it is for everyone. The hits this team is going to take for the next 3-4 seasons is crazy and the only way to stop them are to keep pushing them out. Problem is, once you lose the players that each one of those cans are associated with, its time to pay the price. The more cans and the bigger the cans, the higher the risk for a season of having to field a lot of JAG's.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If they were to find a way to bring back Douglas and either re-sign Tonyan or some other veteran TE, I'd be pretty content with the FA period.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they were to find a way to bring back Douglas and either re-sign Tonyan or some other veteran TE, I'd be pretty content with the FA period.

Honestly they do this and/or also maybe an aging veteran DL signed to vet minimum late in FA - I don't think anyone can think they should have done more...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think anyone can think they should have done more...
Well, they should have done more, but the problem is, they can't do much more, because of the cap. Basically, they had to further mortgage the future to bring back the 2021 team, with a few guys missing from it. We all knew going in, that was about all they could do, but personally, I don't think it sets them up for a Super Bowl. For that to happen, they are going to have to either find a few instant playmakers in the draft or in the bargain basement FA pool that is left before Sept. They are also going to need a few current players to step up their game a bit, as well as avoid any major injuries.

Members online

Latest posts