2022 Salary Cap Riddle/Thread/Discussion

D

Deleted member 6794

Ah yes your right. Culminating in fumbling away the playoff game to the Cards… tried to block that one from memory :)

It's hard to blame Rodgers for the loss to the Cardinals after the offense scored 45 points in that game though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's hard to blame Rodgers for the loss to the Cardinals after the offense scored 45 points in that game though.
Well, Crosby missed a field goal in that game :sneaky:
I would hardly blame Crosby for that loss either, given that it was a 54 yard attempt, in the second Q.

Besides a leaky defense, it didn't help that the Packers fumbled twice and Rodgers threw 1 interception. One of the fumbles was by Rodgers and ended the game when it was returned for a TD. :(
I also remember Rodgers missing a wide open Greg Jennings in OT, Jennings had gotten behind the Cards defense and had the throw been on target, he easily scores, game over.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would hardly blame Crosby for that loss either, given that it was a 54 yard attempt, in the second Q.

Besides a leaky defense, it didn't help that the Packers fumbled twice and Rodgers threw 1 interception. One of the fumbles was by Rodgers and ended the game when it was returned for a TD. :(
I also remember Rodgers missing a wide open Greg Jennings in OT, Jennings had gotten behind the Cards defense and had the throw been on target, he easily scores, game over.

Just to clarify, I wasn't serious about Crosby being to blame for that loss.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just to clarify, I wasn't serious about Crosby being to blame for that loss.
No, but you seem pretty serious about trying to find ways to imply that he hasn't been a really solid kicker in the playoffs. ;)

I think we all agree that he and the special teams have had a rough year. Given that, this may be his final season in Green Bay or not. I do hope the next 3 games once again prove that he is a guy you can rely in in the post season. Although, depending on weather, I don't really expect to see him kick a lot of 50+ yarders in Green Bay.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the 2009 playoff loss in OT, Rodgers was facemasked on that fumble. Should've been a 15 yard penalty but instead ended the game. In a sign of many future playoff debacles. the defense was attrocious in that game. I don't think they even forced a third down on most drives and were barely a speed bump to Cardinal Td's.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the 2009 playoff loss in OT, Rodgers was facemasked on that fumble. Should've been a 15 yard penalty but instead ended the game. In a sign of many future playoff debacles. the defense was attrocious in that game. I don't think they even forced a third down on most drives and were barely a speed bump to Cardinal Td's.

Even with all that, Green Bay was just a play away from winning that game. That's how good the offense was.

My memory is less-than-reliable, but I seem to recall Jemichael Finley having a particularly good day...

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even with all that, Green Bay was just a play away from winning that game. That's how good the offense was.

My memory is less-than-reliable, but I seem to recall Jemichael Finley having a particularly good day...
That game was J-Mike's coming out party! Too bad his career ended early with a neck injury. Packers seem to have cornered the market on great players having their careers cut short with neck injuries like Tim Lewis, Chmura, Sterling Sharp, J-Mike and worst of all, losing HOF talent Nick Collins.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Right before the Rodgers fumble in OT, Greg Jennings got behind the Cards secondary and was wide open and would have gone untouched in the endzone, game over. The 2009 version of Rodgers just overshot him by a few yards.

People talk about Rodgers only playing in 1 Super Bowl, there have been at least 2 NFCCG where the Packers were literally 1 play away from going. I also will continue to say it, had Rodgers been given a better supporting cast on defense and lately at WR, I think he plays in quite a few Super Bowls.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I will agree with that.
I think its been kicked around a few times, but as Rodgers got better, he made others look better. On offense, that ended up being a negative too, since it seemed to cover up the urgency of fixing the hidden inefficiencies.

The defense, no real excuses for TT, other than he drafted a lot of bad talent on that side of the ball in his later years. To some extent Rodgers talent also covered for that as well, by having an offense that could outscore the other teams offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

In a sign of many future playoff debacles. the defense was attrocious in that game. I don't think they even forced a third down on most drives and were barely a speed bump to Cardinal Td's.

You're right about that, the Cardinals faced only five third downs all game long.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right about that, the Cardinals faced only five third downs all game long.
Thanks for looking up that stat. Wow! I knew they were pathetic in that game but it would be difficult to keep up that level suckage for a whole game? Did they stubbornly not make any adjustments ?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the trash (except defense) performance by us and Rodgers’ comments I see only two things happening:

- Rodgers takes a restructure that is very team friendly to avoid a "rebuild” he stated he will not be part of. This would allow us to make another run with him and arguably even Davante. He convinces Cobb to restructure too. This obviously includes other extensions to Jaire and other restructures possibly.

- The era is over and we push forward to find out in 2022 Love is the guy and stripping the team of most high cost veterans for a hopefully quick reset. Fear here is does this stall Jaire in being willing to extend? Does this make us have to truly clean the shelves if you will.

There is no middle ground. Gute and Ball better have some of this ready should Rodgers say I want to be here. It isn’t as simple as just staying - lot of stuff has to happen also

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
After the trash (except defense) performance by us and Rodgers’ comments I see only two things happening:
I agree and up until last night, I was leaning towards #1 happening (Rodgers staying). This is going to be a tough call and maybe as the sting of the loss sets in, the Packers front office AND Rodgers realize that they actually were very close, had it not been for special teams and a few missing parts on offense (#2 WR and TE).

If the decision was being made today, the knee jerk is clean house and start over with Love. I just think reality sets in for everyone and they realize that 13-4 was a great year, they just need to fix the cracks.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree and up until last night, I was leaning towards #1 happening (Rodgers staying). This is going to be a tough call and maybe as the sting of the loss sets in, the Packers front office AND Rodgers realize that they actually were very close, had it not been for special teams and a few missing parts on offense (#2 WR and TE).

If the decision was being made today, the knee jerk is clean house and start over with Love. I just think reality sets in for everyone and they realize that 13-4 was a great year, they just need to fix the cracks.

I don’t personally have a preference. The one where he stays you have more assurance of what or how good you will be - the other is an unknown and definitely not about next year. Gonna be interesting

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don’t personally have a preference. The one where he stays you have more assurance of what or how good you will be - the other is an unknown and definitely not about next year. Gonna be interesting

Well the rebuild is probably going to happen sooner or later, with or without Love. I think Ball is going to have a big say in this. Guessing he has crunched the numbers on how both scenarios play out and if there isn't any room to keep both Rodgers and Adams, I think you trade Rodgers and get what you can for him. Last thing I want to see is locking him up for 4 more expensive years, Davante walks and we have absolutely garbage left over for Rodgers to throw to.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the rebuild is probably going to happen sooner or later, with or without Love. I think Ball is going to have a big say in this. Guessing he has crunched the numbers on how both scenarios play out and if there isn't any room to keep both Rodgers and Adams, I think you trade Rodgers and get what you can for him. Last thing I want to see is locking him up for 4 more expensive years, Davante walks and we have absolutely garbage left over for Rodgers to throw to.
Rodgers made it very clear last night in his interview that he will not be part of a rebuild. Outside of some creative structuring and few guys taking team friendly deals - option one may not even be possible and force Rodgers to leave or retire

Reaction score

I agree with you, and it would be great if we could just "fix the cracks", but the problem is the salary cap. I am not sure if we have any other choice but to clean house and start over, because I am not sure if we can afford to keep the team intact while making the couple of moves necessary to get us over the hump.

This is what is really bad about losing last night.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What they do depends on what Rodgers is willing to do with his contract. If they can't sign him longer to a more cap friendly deal or he wants to be paid as the top QB then he won't be in GB in 2022.

There is no way they can sign Rodgers and Adams to $75M worth of cap space.

wallsthotshot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get a new st coach who can count to 11.
Trade Bak if you can do so and still keep Aaron. Cap room is the key.
Resign/ extend Aaron Davante Rashan Jaire
Smiths you cut or on a one year prove it deal.
Let knuckleheads like King go.
Rest is window dressing but those are the primary moves.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts