2022 Salary Cap Riddle/Thread/Discussion

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Of course extending him is preferred, but the pick or even picks wouldn’t be necessarily to replace him but an arrow in the quiver to try and plug many spots left by the cap casualties. If Jaire scenario happened, IMO it only occurs if you can and have signed Rasul to be here in 2022.
We've spent a decade throwing 1st round darts at the position. We finally got a good one. We can't just let him go only to go back to the dart board. Rasul has had a meh career until this season. Regress to mean is still a possibility. Stokes has one year in. I recall one of the dart draft picks also looking good his first season only to regress. Which of the picks it was escapes me but I think it was why we let Hayward leave.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We've spent a decade throwing 1st round darts at the position. We finally got a good one. We can't just let him go only to go back to the dart board. Rasul has had a meh career until this season. Regress to mean is still a possibility. Stokes has one year in. I recall one of the dart draft picks also looking good his first season only to regress. Which of the picks it was escapes me but I think it was why we let Hayward leave.
I don't think that there is anyone disputing how great Jaire is, I sure am not. If there is no future concerns about his shoulder, then he remains one of the best CB's in the NFL. Problem is, you soon have to pay him like one. I think the Packers are going to agree with you and pay him, my only question is, how does that effect the rest of the team. Also, if Rodgers is gone, will it really matter that we have a shut down CB on the team for the next few years, which is when his contract will be at its cheapest.

Lots of moving parts and decisions to make this offseason, none of them very easy really. Like I have said, it all starts with Rodgers and then Adams and from there, the chips will fall as Gute and Ball let them.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Trust me you don't have to convince me of the belief to resign/extend Jaire. Sound logic is there for sure. Merely exercising discussions that are valid options or directions one might go to both handle the cap and the losses/holes created by it and turnover.

The guy who actually triggered the thought with me put it this way...

Which is going to be easier:

To replace getting a starting level Edge opposite Gary when you cut both Smiths...

or

Replacing Jaire...

Neither of these scenarios are good and both suck having to face. His logic was we've already seen a year without Jaire essentially and have the chance to use picks from his trade to supplement other holes and his vacant hole while also saving cap. Rasul will be affordable to sign and still result in probably $7-$9M saved in 2022.

I see the logic, but don't necessarily think I'd do it. Now if trading Jaire makes extending/keeping Rodgers here or not money wise I'm doing it without question....but again that is something which will start the whole offseason direction first anyways.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Neither of these scenarios are good and both suck.
Exactly and there are going to be a lot of "Packer Fans" going absolutely nuts when they see some of the moves that the Packers are forced to make this offseason. But these are the same fans who ask "who is this Russ Ball guy I hear about and what does he do?"

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly and there are going to be a lot of "Packer Fans" going absolutely nuts when they see some of the moves that the Packers are forced to make this offseason. But these are the same fans who ask "who is this Russ Ball guy I hear about and what does he do?"

LOL right, there will be a small group that know him - yet will argue just make the contracts work like other teams - keep one of the Smiths, Rodgers, Adams, extend Jaire is all possible..."just make it work"

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
LOL right, there will be a small group that know him - yet will argue just make the contracts work like other teams - keep one of the Smiths, Rodgers, Adams, extend Jaire is all possible..."just make it work"
You forgot the part of them being busy playing Madden Football while talking. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No those are the guys that think you can get four first rounders for Billy Turner.....just turn "trade approval" off LOL
Then there is that too. :) Also, "Rodgers and Adams love it in Green Bay, they will definitely give the Packers a huge home team discount".

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, these types of people are my favorite to drink around LOL

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To be fair, these types of people are my favorite to drink around LOL
I had a drunk Viking fan standing next to me on Sunday night, he could barely talk, but some of the stuff coming out of his mouth was just funny..."Da Vikings woulda beee on der way to da Super.....Bowl if dat damn Cousins would hav been vaccinated."

By about the 2nd Quarter I got so tired of the guy swaying and using my body to catch him, I asked him if maybe he should sit for awhile. He said "nahhh man Im good". So I backed up as much as I could, and on his next sway into me, I swayed back and watched as he fell flat in the stands. He was alright, but it must have jarred his bladder....he quickly got up and scooted off to the bathroom and to get 2 more beers.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had a drunk Viking fan standing next to me on Sunday night, he could barely talk, but some of the stuff coming out of his mouth was just funny..."Da Vikings woulda beee on der way to da Super.....Bowl if dat damn Cousins would hav been vaccinated."

By about the 2nd Quarter I got so tired of the guy swaying and using my body to catch him, I asked him if maybe he should sit for awhile. He said "nahhh man Im good". So I backed up as much as I could, and on his next sway into me, I swayed back and watched as he fell flat in the stands. He was alright, but it must have jarred his bladder....he quickly got up and scooted off to the bathroom and to get 2 more beers.

I'd have looked at him and said, "Too bad he isn't immunized." LOL Would have been a good drunk level test :roflmao:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd have looked at him and said, "Too bad he isn't immunized." LOL Would have been a good drunk level test :roflmao:
I really was just hoping that he didn't throw up all over me or anyone else. Almost surprised that the vendors aren't told to cut people off when they are that drunk.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I really was just hoping that he didn't throw up all over me or anyone else. Almost surprised that the vendors aren't told to cut people off when they are that drunk.
As a former vendor, they are told that. Just need to stand straight and not sway or slur while in line or ordering.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As a former vendor, they are told that. Just need to stand straight and not sway or slur while in line or ordering.
This Viking fan must have paid a sober kid to buy his beer for him, he could barely walk up the stairs, yet alone say the word "Stairs". One time when he came back from a beer/piss run, he walked right by our row, traveled down about 20 rows and when he realized that he was almost at the first row....he started to make/stumble his way back up.

Zad Fnark

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy at the car dealership who sold us our last 2 cars also works security at Lambeau during the games.

He always said the worst games were when Minnesota was here and their fans over.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The guy at the car dealership who sold us our last 2 cars also works security at Lambeau during the games.

He always said the worst games were when Minnesota was here and their fans over.
I wouldn't be surprised if Sunday night was a Viking drunk fest at Lambeau. They had nothing to really cheer about, so the next best thing is getting drunk. I was actually surprised at how many Viking fans were at the game, but they were a lot quieter than past games.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Sunday night was a Viking drunk fest at Lambeau. They had nothing to really cheer about, so the next best thing is getting drunk. I was actually surprised at how many Viking fans were at the game, but they were a lot quieter than past games.
I have a lot of family that are MN fans. They bought their tickets before Cousins was ruled out.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOT of time between now and then...but more promising quotes out of AR:

"The grass is greener where you water it," Rodgers responded. "I really believe that. And you know, that's an adage to dissuade people from going out and taking risk and chances, and you know, I think that where you spend your time and energy and what you choose to water will always be the greenest part of your life. I decided when I came back that I was going to be all in with the team and all in to see things move forward to a better place. And that's what the conversations were about, you know, during the offseason, was about being a part of those conversations that impact my ability to do my job. And I, you know, from one of the first days, Brian [Gutekunst] and I sat it down and got on the same page and it's been a really nice Fall and Winter. I appreciate his approach, how it's been, and it's been very meaningful to me. So I'm thankful for that relationship, where it's at at this point, and that's made my life that much more enjoyable. So I gotta give Brian a lot of credit for meeting me in the middle."

Reaction score
LOT of time between now and then...but more promising quotes out of AR:

"The grass is greener where you water it," Rodgers responded. "I really believe that. And you know, that's an adage to dissuade people from going out and taking risk and chances, and you know, I think that where you spend your time and energy and what you choose to water will always be the greenest part of your life. I decided when I came back that I was going to be all in with the team and all in to see things move forward to a better place. And that's what the conversations were about, you know, during the offseason, was about being a part of those conversations that impact my ability to do my job. And I, you know, from one of the first days, Brian [Gutekunst] and I sat it down and got on the same page and it's been a really nice Fall and Winter. I appreciate his approach, how it's been, and it's been very meaningful to me. So I'm thankful for that relationship, where it's at at this point, and that's made my life that much more enjoyable. So I gotta give Brian a lot of credit for meeting me in the middle."
Regardless where Aaron ends up. I think that statement speaks volumes. Imo Aaron has grown on a maturity level since becoming our QB and I think he continues to grow. I know he’s had some regrets and things he would’ve handled differently. Someone reported that he admitted he could’ve done a better job proactively getting involved vs expecting our FO to approach him. That’s another really big admission that speaks to his growth.
The guy made mistakes. We all have made those. But I like to believe that life lessons offers lessons in discernment. Wisdom is not always as valuable as discernment. Wisdom can help you out of a bad situation, discernment can avoid that situation altogether.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless where Aaron ends up. I think that statement speaks volumes. Imo Aaron has grown on a maturity level since becoming our QB and I think he continues to grow. I know he’s had some regrets and things he would’ve handled differently. Someone reported that he admitted he could’ve done a better job proactively getting involved vs expecting our FO to approach him. That’s another really big admission that speaks to his growth.
The guy made mistakes. We all have made those. But I like to believe that life lessons offers lessons in discernment. Wisdom is not always as valuable as discernment. Wisdom can help you out of a bad situation, discernment can avoid that situation altogether.
And knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit while wisdom is knowing not to put it in the fruit salad.

And the truth will set you free but a really good lie would have kept you out of jail in the first place.

Other than that I think you are right. Its possible that Rodgers does not end up on the Packers roster next year but I think his actions since reporting have definitely shown that he is open to the possibility of returning.

To he honest I think many players in his position might harbor similar feelings. Wanting to be more involved or at least more informed about team decisions. He just said something about it and he has admitted he may not have gone about it the right way.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's a trade option that even just a few months ago I'd have written off as lunacy...however let's flesh this thing out some.

Stokes has clearly shown more promise than even some of the biggest fans here of him pre-draft (I got this one right)...and Rasul is not overachieving IMO at this point and has proven in this system he can flourish.

Jaire Alexander....traded as part of the 2022 Cap Problem Solving????

Now this is not something I want to see happen...however when a buddy brought up the fact that this move alone could free up $13.29M in cap space for 2022, bring back SOLID draft pick(s) in return for hopefully covering depth and gaps created by other cuts it is not crazy to think about.

Few fiscal facts. Jaire's contract next year explodes up to $13,294,000. Is he worth that, YES...however we cannot afford to have that happen so like many of us have been saying we need to get an extension deal done to keep him in Green Bay through his prime (he is 24 folks) and lesson the cap hit in 2022 especially. OR.....has Green Bay seen enough of Rasul and Stokes together this year to take the much CHEAPER route and sign Rasul to a two to four year deal (he is 26) and trade the All Pro/PREMEIRE top 3 talent that Jaire is in a passing dominated league now? There would be no shortage of teams offering awesome draft equity and a chance to sign such a talent to a restructured extension upon completing the trade.

Green Bay would instantly save nearly $13.3 Million dollars (some of that would go to Rasul contract sure) + we would IMO get a 1st rounder back most likely that could help offset the loss of cuts that no doubt will have to occur (one or both Smiths, Turner, Lowry, Cobb, Crosby...)

It is crazy to think about I get it....BUT fiscally and cap wise it holds merit...how much merit will depend on the person thinking about it. I have no doubt though as Rasul and Stokes continue to show this year that they can play, I guarantee you this is already in the back of Gute's mind somewhere - because honestly if you're a good GM (and he is) all valid options must be considered.

The Packers can create up to $9.6 million of cap space by extending Alexander's contract next offseason. I definitely prefer the front office to handle the situation that way instead of trading him. No matter what happens with Rodgers they absolutely need to hold on to blue chip players who are still young as well.

Correct you have to have the space at the tag is my understanding @captainWIMM hopefully will confirm that for us.

The Packers can tag Adams while not having the cap space to do it at that point but they would have to fit his contract under the cap on March 20.

Lot of fleshing of roster moves must be done, but if Love is QB1 in 2022 I instantly view my lens of hope around .500 season. So 9 wins or so would be the hope...

As I've mentioned repeatedly I would expect the Packers to be closer to competing for the #1 overall draft pick than nine wins with Love starting next season.

Jones won't rework his contract and cutting costs us doesn't save us. He is here for 2022

The Packers can hardly create any cap space for 2022 by restructuring Jones' contract in the first place.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had losing records Rodgers first 2 years as a starter coming off a loss in the NFCCG. While I don’t think we can get the “haul” some people expect I honestly think the best future for the team is to deal him after this year. If Love IS the guy you can parlay what you get for Rogers into 4 or 5 2nd/3rd day guy to put around him. If MF is the coach people are touting him as, GB should be very competitive and fun to watch. I just don’t trust Rodgers. A) I dont trust ANY 39 yo (next year) QB on a long term deal, this is not a knock on Rodgers B) He’s the one who forced GB to put a lot of the bullets in the Cap Gun pointed at their head to soothe his wounded ego/need for attention… whatever C) given his drama this off season who knows what happens when he realizes the team is going to be depleting around him and he has no “GM Aaron Rodgers” brilliant ideas to fix it. Let’s win this Super Bowl…. Sell hi…. Invest in some new potential talent and move on

D

Deleted member 6794

We had losing records Rodgers first 2 years as a starter coming off a loss in the NFCCG.

First of all the Packers went 11-5 in 2009 with Rodgers starting for the second season.

In addition the defense struggling was the main reason the Packers won only six games in his first year as a starter in '08.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all the Packers went 11-5 in 2009 with Rodgers starting for the second season.

In addition the defense struggling was the main reason the Packers won only six games in his first year as a starter in '08.
Stop with the facts. You just like to ruin everything, don't you Mr. Know it all? Or is it No it all?

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ah yes your right. Culminating in fumbling away the playoff game to the Cards… tried to block that one from memory :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts