2022 Draft Directions Discussed

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's more 95-5 that Preston is coming back. I don't think he's in danger of being cut at all anymore. He is earning his money, he does a lot on this defense. These other guys, while nice for later round picks and inexperienced haven't proven even close to holding down an edge down in and out over the course of a year like Preston.

Garvin may have had more snaps, but a rookie Gary was also behind 2 brand new shiny high paid FA's that were playing superbly. I don't know what Gary's count was, but by the end, he was more productive than the stats show or people gave him credit for. He also looked in a different league than Garvin from the start.

There's no way i'd enter the season as "all in" and do it with Garvin as a starter.

Don't forget he was also behind a solid Fackrell as well. If Preston isn't here look for a bargain veteran and a VERY high draft pick brought in...Preston back it frees up the need some on EDGE/OLB for Gute in the draft, which you know he'd appreciate being able to slide more to BPA

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You keep posting that in various threads but it has no basis in fact at all.
The fact is that they can't keep him without making their cap situation in future years even more problematic. Maybe they push the bulk of Preston Smith's salary into future years but at some point the piper will be paid and the desperation of trying to keep Rodgers for a little longer will start looking like the John Hadl trade in terms of sabotaging multiple seasons.

D

Deleted member 6794

The fact is that they can't keep him without making their cap situation in future years even more problematic. Maybe they push the bulk of Preston Smith's salary into future years but at some point the piper will be paid and the desperation of trying to keep Rodgers for a little longer will start looking like the John Hadl trade in terms of sabotaging multiple seasons.

The Packers can actually keep Preston without restructuring his contract.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers can actually keep Preston without restructuring his contract.
That's true but a poor option since it sets in motion a domino effect of other important players that will either not be signed like Douglas or Campbell or cut due to lack of cap space since Smith will have a hefty cap hit for 2022. I also think pushing the bulk of his cap hit into future seasons is even a worse option.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starting to warm to the idea that, if he falls, Jameson Williams would be an excellent first round pick. Would replace MVS and, looking at the NFC North, the Packers are not going to need him to win the division. He'll be healthy in time to ramp up for the playoffs and would certainly add a really nice dimension to the offense. Options in the passing game matter and, while Adams is the best receiver in the NFL, only having the one good receiver is a serious handicap against good defenses.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starting to warm to the idea that, if he falls, Jameson Williams would be an excellent first round pick. Would replace MVS and, looking at the NFC North, the Packers are not going to need him to win the division. He'll be healthy in time to ramp up for the playoffs and would certainly add a really nice dimension to the offense. Options in the passing game matter and, while Adams is the best receiver in the NFL, only having the one good receiver is a serious handicap against good defenses.
Jameson's ACL injury occurred on January 10, 2022. ACL recovery is usually 1 year so this 2022 season is most likely a red-shirt season for him & doubtful GB would bring him back for 1-2 playoff games. I think he'll be a stud once he plays for some team, but won't count on any contribution this season.

I'd love for Gute to use our 2nd rounder on Alec Pierce or Christian Watson - both have a bit of "Jordy" traits as far as size & speed. Immediate #2's, with desire & work either could eventually become a #1 for GB.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jameson's ACL injury occurred on January 10, 2022. ACL recovery is usually 1 year so this 2022 season is most likely a red-shirt season for him & doubtful GB would bring him back for 1-2 playoff games. I think he'll be a stud once he plays for some team, but won't count on any contribution this season.

I'd love for Gute to use our 2nd rounder on Alec Pierce or Christian Watson - both have a bit of "Jordy" traits as far as size & speed. Immediate #2's, with desire & work either could eventually become a #1 for GB.

Alec Pierce I don’t see going that early but if likes of Pickens and Watson are gone by our second that most likely means Pierce or Khalil are the next best options

D

Deleted member 6794

That's true but a poor option since it sets in motion a domino effect of other important players that will either not be signed like Douglas or Campbell or cut due to lack of cap space since Smith will have a hefty cap hit for 2022. I also think pushing the bulk of his cap hit into future seasons is even a worse option.

The Packers can create enough cap space to re-sign Douglas and/or Campbell without restructuring Preston's contract if they want to. It doesn't make any sense to solely concentrate on his deal to possibly make a move.

A receiver might be able to return to action significantly faster than within 12 months.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts