2021 opponents

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We caught a break getting NO instead of TB. Brees will retire and they have major cap issues to deal with. I suspect they're going to fall back significantly next season, whereas TB are going to be favored to at least return to the Super Bowl. Sucks to be the Bears.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Home: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, Washington, Los Angeles Rams, Seattle Seahawks, Cleveland Browns and Pittsburgh Steelers.
6 of the 8 home opponents made the playoffs.

Away: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Baltimore Ravens and Cincinnati Bengals.
3 of the 8 road games vs playoff teams.

Also

As always, 14 of the 16 games are against teams everyone else in the division will play. The outliers are Washington and New Orleans.

Both of those teams are quite possibly looking at a change at quarterback.

Go Pack Go!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The NFL does try to artificially create parity because they know that all GM’s are not created equal.

Nothing artificial about it and I rather like it. You have a successful season, you pick later in each round of the draft and play a perceived to be more difficult schedule the following year. You forgot to mention the Salary Cap, which is what think deserves the most credit for maintaining parity. The cap is the only thing that is probably keeping the Packers in Green Bay or at least keeping them as a competitive team in GB.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Im getting tired of playing 49ers yet again...

Why couldent we get The Bucs again in Tampa so maybe I could had attended it...

Like why can`t they play in London so I can attend it ? **** happens mate ;)

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We caught a break getting NO instead of TB. Brees will retire and they have major cap issues to deal with. I suspect they're going to fall back significantly next season, whereas TB are going to be favored to at least return to the Super Bowl. Sucks to be the Bears.

I'd like to see if Rodgers can beat TB, or if they're his new kryptonite. As for the Bears, I hope they do well enough to make the NFCCG, might be the only way we can make the Super Bowl!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When was the last time we played SF at Lambeau? This is getting as tiresome as all those years going to Dallas in the 90s.

10/15/2018

The Series has had 35 home games for each team and the Packers lead the total series 37-32-1.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When was the last time we played SF at Lambeau? This is getting as tiresome as all those years going to Dallas in the 90s.
If it makes you feel better we are guaranteed a home game against them in 2024, and in 2022 and 2023 if we draw them in an at large game.

D

Deleted member 6794

I suspect they're going to fall back significantly next season, whereas TB are going to be favored to at least return to the Super Bowl. Sucks to be the Bears.

Don't forget the Bears actually beat the Bucs this season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it just me, or have the Packers played an inordinate number of games against SF on the road? Can't the schedulers do better? Or is this just how the chips fell?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is it just me, or have the Packers played an inordinate number of games against SF on the road? Can't the schedulers do better? Or is this just how the chips fell?
NFL does nothing without a plan. It's just how the formula has worked lately. From 1976-1996, excluding playoffs, SF was the visitor 8 out of 10 times.

Yup. All a matter of historical perspective. I looked it up once upon a time and I believe they have played around 70 games against each other and its exactly half (35) that each team has hosted.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The NFL doesn't really schedule teams it schedules divisions and standings. Assuming they don't change their scheduling formula we can tell 11 of the 13 teams we will face every year for years into the future and we can even tell whether it will be a home or an away game. I think if you just count the regular season it will even out as every four years we play them as part of the rotation and one time it home and the next its away. I'm not exactly sure how it works for the 2 teams we play based on standings with the division.

This year we played the Saints in New Orleans because we played the entire NFC South and the last time we played the NFC South (2017) we had them in Green Bay. Next year we play them because we both won our divisions this year but we play them in New Orleans I'm not sure how that home and away is figured for these two games but I think it rotates as well and I would assume that if we both win our divisions this coming season we would have them at home in 2022 be not because its the Saints and Packers but because its the NFCN and NFCS divisional winners. If TB wins the South this season I would think we would get them at home in 2022 but I could be wrong on that rotation.

Playoffs are a different story as that is all dependent on standings so if we play them and they have a better record we go there so we could play many years in a row in San Fran.

So I guess the short answer to your question is that yeah, it really is how the chips fall. The schedulers don't look and say "geez, the Packer have traveled to San Fran for the last three times they played This year lets give them the game at home" The only real job the schedulers have is to schedule the actual dates the games are played and from what I hear its a pretty daunting task what with shared stadiums, other events, special requests by teams and a host of other factors. As for who and where we play the vast majority of that (all but 2 game a year) can be figured out years in advance.

Hope that clears it up a bit or it may have just confused you more. Once you get it though its really quite simple

D

Deleted member 6794

Assuming they don't change their scheduling formula we can tell 11 of the 13 teams we will face every year for years into the future and we can even tell whether it will be a home or an away game.

With the NFL adding another regular season game most likely starting in 2021 it's actually 12 out of 15 opponents.

I think if you just count the regular season it will even out as every four years we play them as part of the rotation and one time it home and the next its away. I'm not exactly sure how it works for the 2 teams we play based on standings with the division.

Actually teams are guaranteed to play intraconference opponents every three seasons with home and away games alternating.

Interestingly the NFL doesn't alternate home games for the games scheduled based on last year's division standings in the two years those divisions aren't scheduled to face each other, resulting in the possibility of a team hosting another three times in a row.

As an example, the Packers will face the Saints on the road for the second consecutive time next season based on playing the team that finished in the same spot in their division on the rosd in 2021. As NFC North teams are scheduled to face NFC Siuth opponents that finished in the same spot in 2022 the Packers could travel to New Orleans again before being guaranteed to host them at Lambeau in 2023.

I

Do we get the Rams next season ? I`ll be curious to see how good Stafford is with a reasonable squad around him.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the NFL adding another regular season game most likely starting in 2021 it's actually 12 out of 15 opponents.

Actually teams are guaranteed to play intraconference opponents every three seasons with home and away games alternating.

Interestingly the NFL doesn't alternate home games for the games scheduled based on last year's division standings in the two years those divisions aren't scheduled to face each other, resulting in the possibility of a team hosting another three times in a row.

As an example, the Packers will face the Saints on the road for the second consecutive time next season based on playing the team that finished in the same spot in their division on the rosd in 2021. As NFC North teams are scheduled to face NFC Siuth opponents that finished in the same spot in 2022 the Packers could travel to New Orleans again before being guaranteed to host them at Lambeau in 2023.

Right, I wasn't thinking about the added game.

I had initially put in intraconference when I said 4 years but changed it to interconference and forgot to change the number.

One of those games is home and the other is away but like I said I wasn't sure if these went on some sort of formula as well.

I

Or, you know, you could have read the first post in this thread.

Yeah, but then you wouldn`t have had something to pick me up on would you ? :)

I would have also asked if that means do the Lions play them as well, but God knows the commotion THAT would have caused ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts