2021 opponents

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Home: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, Washington, Los Angeles Rams, Seattle Seahawks, Cleveland Browns and Pittsburgh Steelers.
6 of the 8 home opponents made the playoffs.

Away: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Baltimore Ravens and Cincinnati Bengals.
3 of the 8 road games vs playoff teams.

Also
The NFL is expected to add a 17th game next season as a way to drive up revenue. That 17th opponent will “be an interconference matchup based on divisional standings” from the previous season, and “on a rotating divisional basis.” That means the Packers would play Buffalo (AFC East), Tennessee or Indianapolis (AFC South) or Kansas City (AFC West).

Last edited:

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Im getting tired of playing 49ers yet again...

Why couldent we get The Bucs again in Tampa so maybe I could had attended it...

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Rams, Seahawks, 49ers, Saints, Ravens, Steelers...That's brutal!
The price you pay for winning all the time. The NFL is desperately trying to get the best teams back to 8-8 via scheduling and draft order. Alas, they continue to fail.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The price you pay for winning all the time. The NFL is desperately trying to get the best teams back to 8-8 via scheduling and draft order. Alas, they continue to fail.

Heh, that's not really true. Only 2 games are slotted by record (3 with a 17 game season.)

The 16 game schedule is:

Your Division: 6 games
One other NFC Conference: 4 games
One AFC conference: 4 games
The matching place finisher from the other 2 NFC conferences: 2 games.

The rest of the North has the same (equivalent) schedule for 14 games. I say equivalent, because obviously no one can play themselves.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh, that's not really true. Only 2 games are slotted by record (3 with a 17 game season.)

The 16 game schedule is:

Your Division: 6 games
One other NFC Conference: 4 games
One AFC conference: 4 games
The matching place finisher from the other 2 NFC conferences: 2 games.

The rest of the North has the same (equivalent) schedule for 14 games. I say equivalent, because obviously no one can play themselves.
Would you rather have two 1st place NFC teams or two last place NFC teams on your schedule?

Would you rather have the 1st and 33rd pick in the draft, or picks 32 and 64?

The NFL does try to artificially create parity because they know that all GM’s are not created equal.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Home: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, Washington, Los Angeles Rams, Seattle Seahawks, Cleveland Browns and Pittsburgh Steelers.
6 of the 8 home opponents made the playoffs.

Away: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Baltimore Ravens and Cincinnati Bengals.
3 of the 8 road games vs playoff teams.

Also
Hope we get Los Angeles in mid December.
Good news that no games in Florida in first half of the season. I hate those games.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
almost all those teams are trending down and a couple will be decimated by cap cuts. the schedule is the least of the Packers problems next year.
You also had a cautionary, pessimistic view of what the Packers were going to be up against this season as well. Like I pointed out in the studs/duds thread which you conveniently ignored, you said last year we were an overachieving 13-3 team and that we would regress record wise this year. Now we're 13-3 again, but just a few weeks ago you said we were overachieving like last year.

Care to try to square those pegs?

It has to be tough on you right now with Rodgers about to win an MVP after you left him for dead.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You also had a cautionary, pessimistic view of what the Packers were going to be up against this season as well. Like I pointed out in the studs/duds thread which you conveniently ignored, you said last year we were an overachieving 13-3 team and that we would regress record wise this year. Now we're 13-3 again, but just a few weeks ago you said we were overachieving like last year.

Care to try to square those pegs?

It has to be tough on you right now with Rodgers about to win an MVP after you left him for dead.
I think we did overachieve last year. I didn't ignore your post...I didn't see it. going into this season i expected a repeat of the disjointed offense of last year and a worse record. what I didn't expect was Rodgers total buy-in to the system. that has propelled this team to the level they're at. LOL...and no it doesn't bother me that he'll be the MVP. I've said all season his 180 from last year has been the key to all positive aspects of this years O. he deserves the MVP! I don't ever recall saying this year's team is overachieving. please find that statement. we'll see if there's any context involved. *sigh* "left Rodgers for dead." I think you're losing it. last season i said he was "still good but trending down." he was. fact.
now what's this got to do with next year's schedule?

Last edited:

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which team will we play on the opening Thursday night game as Super Bowl champions? Steelers or Bears seem likely.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I think we did overachieve last year. I didn't ignore your post...I didn't see it. going into this season i expected a repeat of the disjointed offense of last year and a worse record. what I didn't expect was Rodgers total buy-in to the system. that alone has propelled this team to the level they're at. LOL...and no it doesn't bother me that he'll be the MVP. I've said all season his 180 from last year has been the key to all positive aspects of this years O. he deserves the MVP! I don't ever recall saying this year's team is overachieving. please find that statement. we'll see if there's any context involved. *sigh* "left Rodgers for dead." I think you're losing it. last season i said he was "still good but trending down." he was. fact.
now what's this got to do with next year's schedule?
I tagged you in the colts game thread from a few weeks ago. I’ll be happy to do it again. Stay tuned. Give me a few. Check it out when you see it on page one.

Last edited:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Would you rather have two 1st place NFC teams or two last place NFC teams on your schedule?

The NFL does try to artificially create parity because they know that all GM’s are not created equal.
Just because they were first place this year doesn't mean they will be good next year. Based on last year's schedule, the Packers got to play the Niners and the Eagles. MN got the Seahawks and Dallas. Now the East teams are a wash, but do you think playing the Niners or the Seahawks was easier this year?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Just because they were first place this year doesn't mean they will be good next year. Based on last year's schedule, the Packers got to play the Niners and the Eagles. MN got the Seahawks and Dallas. Now the East teams are a wash, but do you think playing the Niners or the Seahawks was easier this year?
I agree with your general premise but what do you think the league’s reasoning is then for pitting champions against champions? There is a noticeable difference between the Packers and the Lions schedule next year. It’s been this way for many years now. The league does try to create parity IMO. There is a huge difference drafting in the 7th spot versus the 25th spot in every round and playing 3 what probably will be tougher teams next year. I’m not complaining just trying to explain the NFL’s motives.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with your general premise but what do you think the league’s reasoning is then for pitting champions against champions? There is a noticeable difference between the Packers and the Lions schedule next year. It’s been this way for many years now. The league does try to create parity IMO. There is a huge difference drafting in the 7th spot versus the 25th spot in every round and playing 3 what probably will be tougher teams next year. I’m not complaining just trying to explain the NFL’s motives.

I don't see what is wrong with trying to give all 32 teams a shot at being competitive. It makes the games more interesting when a fan's team is not playing and more interested fans means more money. I also think there are more teams who had 500 or worse records this year with a shot to make the playoffs next year. I mean the truly bad team are getting fewer and fewer. Besides the Jets and Jaguars I could see scenarios where any of the other non playoff teams this year make the playoffs next year. Ok maybe not the Lions

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't agree that the scheduling variability for those two games based on division rank is all that artificial - I think it's a sensible act of fairness, in that Detroit, for instance, is going to play two games against a first-place team (the Packers) that the Pack doesn't have to play; the Pack plays two games against a last-place team (Lions) that Detroit doesn't get to play.

in my view the division-finish-ranked games on the schedule just provide equity, not a manipulated parity.

The draft is obviously what it is, no argument there - although it's a widely-shared process among other leagues.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see what is wrong with trying to give all 32 teams a shot at being competitive. It makes the games more interesting when a fan's team is not playing and more interested fans means more money. I also think there are more teams who had 500 or worse records this year with a shot to make the playoffs next year. I mean the truly bad team are getting fewer and fewer. Besides the Jets and Jaguars I could see scenarios where any of the other non playoff teams this year make the playoffs next year. Ok maybe not the Lions
For the record, I don’t see it as wrong either.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers play 14 common opponents with the other teams in their division but have to play Washington and New Orleans while the Bears, Lions and Vikings face other teams from those two division.

In my opinion that's not a significant difference at all.

I definitely prefer the Packers having the 32nd pick in each round.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="captainWIMM, post: 895198, member: 6794"
I definitely prefer the Packers having the 32nd pick in each round.[/QUOTE]

Lol, me too!

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers play 14 common opponents with the other teams in their division but have to play Washington and New Orleans while the Bears, Lions and Vikings face other teams from those two division.
nitpick, it's 12. Next season fer instance, the Lions do not play NO or Washington or 2 games against the Lions.

Staff online

Latest posts