2020 Outlook

Reaction score
Because this is such a good WR class it would be foolhardy to not take one at #30 unless a really good one at another positions falls. If that happens then you take one in the 2nd round.
We may even see a repeat of the Darnell Savage type transaction, where we trade up slightly to grab a WR.
Laviska Chennault? Devonta Smith? I’d like to have someone like that can keep teams honest over the top and make them pay when they gamble underneath.

Last edited:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with TE. Jace I think was drafted to eventually be the guy. Can save cash on developing him and starting Tonyan.

Depth is going to be a concern so a prospect-pick would be practical. I doubt they resign Lewis, and graham is questionable.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depth is going to be a concern so a prospect-pick would be practical. I doubt they resign Lewis, and graham is questionable.

Ya, maybe a later round dude, but an early pick? I think I'd rather WR and ILB. Obviously assuming a blue chip TE prospect doesn't fall in our laps.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the plus side:
  • I expect Gute will be able to fill some of the holes on the team.
  • Hopefully the offense will be better in its second year.
On the downside:
  • Rodgers will be another year older. He is still capable of playing at a high level, but as we saw this season, his great games are becoming fewer and further between.
  • We overachieved this season. We went 9-1 in games decided by one possession. We went 6-0 in the division. Historically, teams like us are not be able to replicate that success the following year. We have some tough games on the schedule, including NO, SF, HOU, TEN. So 11-5 is a real possibility next year, which means no first round bye and yet another NFC Championship on the road if we make it that far.
Unknowns:
  • We better hope MVS and ESB have breakout seasons, because any WRs we draft will be unlikely to have a big impact in their first year. Either that or Gute needs to sign a proven WR.

The offense should be better next year with more familiarity in LaFleur's system. Also, Gute should really get rid of dead weight like Graham and Bulaga. I think restructuring deals of many vets and possibly punting on Blake Martinez will allow for better allocation of resources.

Rodgers will be another year older so let's surround him with great weapons.

The TE free agent is probably the best it has been in years, with unrestricted agents such as Ebron, Henry, Hooper and Jarwin as pretty nice targets. All have potential, with proven production and could come at an affordable price based on either injury (Henry and Hooper) or after an underachieving season due to change in philosophy Ebron and Jarwin).

At WR, Robby Anderson would be a great target for Rodgers and complement for Davantae Adams. Good size and great speed, which is sorely needed. Not really sold on other receivers in 2020 free agent class, including Cooper. Either receivers are too old or too average.

At RB? I think Jordan Howard would an inexpensive and effective hammer on a one-year prove it deal. Also, adding proven veteran depth to the RB position. Also, grab Derek Watt at FB from LAC, back to Wisconsin. That will be a huge boost to LaFleur's system.

OL? Go after RT Jack Conklin from Tennessee. He's 5 years younger than Bulaga and more healthy. Gotta protect the edges for Rodgers as well as set the edge in the run game. He'll cost the most, but is more of a sure thing than battered Bulaga.

Next? Let's get a veteran QB and stop the BS. In the event of Rodgers going down, the backup should be able to "steer the ship" instead of just keep things afloat. AJ McCarron would be a great signing.

Also, with LaFleur stating that Pettine isn't going anywhere...can the Packers switch to a 4-3 or install more cover 2 concepts.

DL- A 4-3 switch should help Rashan Gary make an impact otherwise that pick was a waste. Also, a veteran signing to work alongside Clark will help better with the run. Marcell Dareus, a possible cut causality from Jacksonville would be a solid pickup if he chooses to play for a contender for less.

DE- Put the Brothers Smith at ends and let them loose. Just rush and stuff. I like Fackrell. More vets and maybe a draft pick for wave after wave of pressure.

ILB- This group needs an overhaul. Martinez is gonna price himself out. He's a sure tackler without much athleticism. No matter the scheme he should really have more sideline to sideline range which requires speed. I think Cory Littleton or Reggie Ragland should get a look on a cheaper deal. Also, Darron Lee is solid if not slightly undersized.

CB-Kind of a crap shoot in free agency...let's stick with who we know.

S- 3rd Safety with coverage ability especially against TE's. Adrian Phillips or Tre Boston are proven and won't break the bank. I like Raven Greene, if he's healthy the safety group is solid, but not spectacular.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The offense should be better next year with more familiarity in LaFleur's system. Also, Gute should really get rid of dead weight like Graham and Bulaga. I think restructuring deals of many vets and possibly punting on Blake Martinez will allow for better allocation of resources.

Rodgers will be another year older so let's surround him with great weapons.

The TE free agent is probably the best it has been in years, with unrestricted agents such as Ebron, Henry, Hooper and Jarwin as pretty nice targets. All have potential, with proven production and could come at an affordable price based on either injury (Henry and Hooper) or after an underachieving season due to change in philosophy Ebron and Jarwin).

At WR, Robby Anderson would be a great target for Rodgers and complement for Davantae Adams. Good size and great speed, which is sorely needed. Not really sold on other receivers in 2020 free agent class, including Cooper. Either receivers are too old or too average.

At RB? I think Jordan Howard would an inexpensive and effective hammer on a one-year prove it deal. Also, adding proven veteran depth to the RB position. Also, grab Derek Watt at FB from LAC, back to Wisconsin. That will be a huge boost to LaFleur's system.

OL? Go after RT Jack Conklin from Tennessee. He's 5 years younger than Bulaga and more healthy. Gotta protect the edges for Rodgers as well as set the edge in the run game. He'll cost the most, but is more of a sure thing than battered Bulaga.

Next? Let's get a veteran QB and stop the BS. In the event of Rodgers going down, the backup should be able to "steer the ship" instead of just keep things afloat. AJ McCarron would be a great signing.

Also, with LaFleur stating that Pettine isn't going anywhere...can the Packers switch to a 4-3 or install more cover 2 concepts.

DL- A 4-3 switch should help Rashan Gary make an impact otherwise that pick was a waste. Also, a veteran signing to work alongside Clark will help better with the run. Marcell Dareus, a possible cut causality from Jacksonville would be a solid pickup if he chooses to play for a contender for less.

DE- Put the Brothers Smith at ends and let them loose. Just rush and stuff. I like Fackrell. More vets and maybe a draft pick for wave after wave of pressure.

ILB- This group needs an overhaul. Martinez is gonna price himself out. He's a sure tackler without much athleticism. No matter the scheme he should really have more sideline to sideline range which requires speed. I think Cory Littleton or Reggie Ragland should get a look on a cheaper deal. Also, Darron Lee is solid if not slightly undersized.

CB-Kind of a crap shoot in free agency...let's stick with who we know.

S- 3rd Safety with coverage ability especially against TE's. Adrian Phillips or Tre Boston are proven and won't break the bank. I like Raven Greene, if he's healthy the safety group is solid, but not spectacular.

A few thoughts.

Hooper and Henry are quality TE targets currently slated to hit the market. However, with Atlanta already in contract talks with Hooper and Henry almost certainly being the #1 priority for a team with plenty of cap space, there's a real chance that neither ever see the open market. If they're gone, this TE class is absolutely wretched. Seriously, if those guys are gone, I think the Packers are best off just keeping Lewis and drafting a Y prospect. However, if the combination of Henry's durability and perhaps not wanting to play for that **** show mean he makes it, by all means the Packers should be in on him.

Robby Anderson has a well established reputation for being a knucklehead. Ability wise, he makes sense. But I would not want my team to be the one that commits significant money to him.

I don't think they need to make any moves at RB. Certainly they shouldn't pay a veteran contract for a one dimensional guy like Howard. With the cap restraints being what they are, this is an area where I think they need to just benefit from having a good starter and good backup on rookie deals.

Conklin would indeed be very sensible, however he's another guy unlikely to actually see free agency. The Titans have 54M in space this offseason with the capacity to easily create a lot more. Conklin is homegrown, young, and an important piece of the offense. This is one reason why I think the Packers need to try everything they can to work out something with Bulaga that hopefully doesn't commit money to him for more than 2 seasons. The alternative options are likely going to be pretty bleak.

With the amount of areas that need addressing on the roster and the cap restraints, it might not be feasible to pay for a worthwhile veteran backup at QB.

I don't think it matters whether the Packers' base defense is 3-4 or 4-3... the true base is sub. And whether you call your nickel 4-2-5 or 2-4-5 makes virtually no practical difference. I also assure you that the Packers, along with the 31 other NFL teams, can and do play cover 2 when they feel it suits them.

Gary may or may not end up being a wasted pick, but a switch to a 4-3 base defense will have nothing to do with it. As stated, sub defense is the true base and his role in sub is going to be the same regardless. Dareus is a good call as a buy low veteran on the DL. Fellow Jag Calais Campbell could also be let go there and would be even better.

Cory Littleton is a great target for the Packers, but he won't come on a cheaper deal. You're going to have to pay up for him. 12-14M annually, I would guess. Ragland is a non-starter for me. He barely played for the Chiefs this season because of his limitations.

At corner there are a couple slot options who could be interesting as a replacement for Tramon who could both be buy low candidates-- Chris Harris Jr (played a lot outside in 2019 and wasn't as good-- also aging) and Kendall Fuller (fell apart in KC after being a great slot corner in WAS).

Safety is another spot where I think they need to pass in FA because of cap constraints. A middle round pick to add to the other reserves (Redmond and Greene) is probably in order.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't believe we can improve this roster in the next couple of years to get back into the NFCC game? AR12 isn't a spring chicken but he is well above average at this point in his career. With all of our issues we got there this year with a rookie HC. If Gute can address our weaknesses this offseason I don't see why 2020 can't be successful.

Agree, people keep on forgetting that this year wasn't supposed to have a trip to the NFCCG happen. And this isn't the 2014-2015 season either where Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy were ... well getting near the end of the line. We're still very much at the beginning of a new regime that hasn't yet finished building the new team and I expect LaFleur to be even better this year and next.

Now, we do have to keep a few things in mind:

1. Rodgers is 36 and will be 37 by the end of next year, so father time is certainly running on him

2. We do have a tougher schedule next year

3. We know what's needed this off season, but we still have to get FA and Draft picks right

Well this next season, we do arguably have 5 road games that could be pretty rough in addition to our division schedule

At San Francisco, at New Orleans, at Houston, at Indianapolis and possibly at Tampa Bay

The home game I'm unsure about is against Atlanta. Don't know if we're going to get the bad 1-7 team that started this last year, or the stout team that knocked off the Saints and 9ers.

I like the suggestion of going with Tonyan as TE1, and Sternberger as TE2, or at least I don't see any prospects out there who would be better than that combo.

We gotta bolster the WR core, add a RT, get another ILB or 2, and if there's a DLman out there get him too.

I definitely think even if we don't get to 13-3 again, we can still get in position to make a run the table run like we did a few years ago, only this time finish the deal.

The key is Rodgers can still make some throws, but we gotta not make him do it all. When you got an older QB, you gotta surround him with stars on offense who can make his job much easier. If we can do that, the sky's the limit.

D

Deleted member 6794

I disagree with TE. Jace I think was drafted to eventually be the guy. Can save cash on developing him and starting Tonyan.

While Sternberger might have been drafted to eventually be the guy he hasn't proven to be capable of it so far. I wouldn't feel comfortable about Tonyan being the starter entering next season.

In my opinion Graham is all but gone with the Packers saving $8 million in cap space by releasing him.

Also, Gute should really get rid of dead weight like Graham and Bulaga.

I don't believe the Packers absolutely have to bring Bulaga at all cost but it's ridiculous to consider him dead weight.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe we have too many holes to fill. Going to roll with Sternberger. And I kind of like Bayliss? on the reserve players.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe we have too many holes to fill. Going to roll with Sternberger. And I kind of like Bayliss? on the reserve players.

Agreed, plus I think it's just crazy how everyone was all over Tonyan early on this season, but now all the sudden he can't hack it? Ridiculous.

He's going into year 3 now too, and Mark Chmura started here way before that stage in his career. He's plenty ready, and we still got the Mercedes.

Offense needs in OL and WR are much bigger.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we need to buffer the offense, but I fear in doing so, our defense will take a big step back. I'd rather we continue buffering our defense as that's what's ultimately gonna get us to the Superbowl. Make no mistake I want to improve the offense and I do think getting another weapon would help, but I feel like our priority should be continuing to buffer the defense as Rodgers is getting older and we can't expect him to play Superman all the time and bail us out like he used to.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, plus I think it's just crazy how everyone was all over Tonyan early on this season, but now all the sudden he can't hack it? Ridiculous.

He's going into year 3 now too, and Mark Chmura started here way before that stage in his career. He's plenty ready, and we still got the Mercedes.

Offense needs in OL and WR are much bigger.
I've been meaning to ask you this on a random note, what's with the #NotMcDaniels at the bottom? I thought that was in regards to the coaching thing. Nothing serious bud, just curious.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask you this on a random note, what's with the #NotMcDaniels at the bottom? I thought that was in regards to the coaching thing. Nothing serious bud, just curious.

Well I did put it up when we were searching for the next HC, but I still think he needs to be smeared as a fraud coach. I just am so glad we hired LaFleur because McDoofus would never have come even close to a 13-3 record this year. I'll probably change my sig once Bellichick retires and names him his successor. He's going to stink and stink bad, and certain posters here will be hearing all about it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Marcell Dareus, a possible cut causality from Jacksonville would be a solid pickup if he chooses to play for a contender for less.

Sounds like the Jags won't be picking up his 2nd year option, so Dareus will be available to sign. I don't know much about him, but seems his last 2 contracts with the Bills and now the Jags have been terrible for both teams. Soon to be 30, coming off a season ending core muscle injury, tread carefully with this guy.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like the Jags won't be picking up his 2nd year option, so Dareus will be available to sign. I don't know much about him, but seems his last 2 contracts with the Bills and now the Jags have been terrible for both teams. Soon to be 30, coming off a season ending core muscle injury, tread carefully with this guy.

I agree with the tread lightly...but to be fair this is the kinds of moves I think Gute will need to roll dice on this year with limited Cap. He is not going to be crazy expensive given age and last year's injury.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Again, I don't know much about the player, just not liking what I see with his contracts. How the hell do you get a guy like that, ready to cost you $20M and count $22.5M against your cap if you pick up his option? Guess the Jags viewed him as a one year player on a 2 year deal?

Reminds me a bit of Mo Wilkerson's path. But yeah, on a cheap deal, he might be a piece of the puzzle that strengthens that defensive line.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mo was my quick thought comparison contract wise history. Mind boggling...but then again the Jags are that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Mo might have worked out in Green Bay, had he not suffered that broken ankle that required surgery and ended his 2018 season. Looks like he may be done too? Arrested in New York City for DWI in June of last year and never invited to a camp.

Same draft as Dareus too, 2011.

Members online

Latest posts