2020 Outlook

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of now, MVS will be fighting for his job. GB should and likely will sign 2 more WR who are graded higher than MVS, not to mention EQ returning. MVS is essentially the #5 or #6 WR and rightfully so.
When ESB had to go to IR before the season started I figured it was going to be next to impossible for him to make the team again next year as he'd be pretty far behind. Then absolutely NOBODY but Lazard, and even his progress is slightly inflated because of nobody else being there, stepped up to take control despite there being ample opportunity to take it and never look back.

As far as i'm concerned, Adams, Lazard and ESB are the only ones i'm really interested in seeing going forward. The rest are nothing but place fillers until someone better comes along and we need better, period. If they're still here in any prominent role, we're in trouble.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When ESB had to go to IR before the season started I figured it was going to be next to impossible for him to make the team again next year as he'd be pretty far behind. Then absolutely NOBODY but Lazard, and even his progress is slightly inflated because of nobody else being there, stepped up to take control despite there being ample opportunity to take it and never look back.

As far as i'm concerned, Adams, Lazard and ESB are the only ones i'm really interested in seeing going forward. The rest are nothing but place fillers until someone better comes along and we need better, period. If they're still here in any prominent role, we're in trouble.

Being a massive fan of ESB I feared the same. I hope you are 100% right because if so that means we for sure got our #2 in draft or FA and maybe have ESB as our #5 which is killer.

He was clicking towards end of last year and Rodgers loves the smart guys and he for sure is that. Knowing his pedigree I'm betting the dude has been a scholar of the system all year despite being out. I am praying he pushes into a spot.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being a massive fan of ESB I feared the same. I hope you are 100% right because if so that means we for sure got our #2 in draft or FA and maybe have ESB as our #5 which is killer.

He was clicking towards end of last year and Rodgers loves the smart guys and he for sure is that. Knowing his pedigree I'm betting the dude has been a scholar of the system all year despite being out. I am praying he pushes into a spot.
I was optimistic for him before, he still has a lot to prove and I hope he does. I do think he'll work hard and can understand the offense, so we'll see how he does.

I just figured 1 or 2 guys would step up and tke off and he'd be at the back end of the roster. At this point, he moves right back up to the top to show what he can do again. He's behind nobody but Adams really. I expect a FA or draft pick to move up there too, but that still leaves plenty of room for him to catch on. I hope he takes it and runs. Been waiting to see that from some WR's for a few years now. Lazard is as close as anyone has come so far and we still need more.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Elevate his game to be what our #1? The dude literally at that point was only halfway through his second NFL season, in a brand new system and is a 5th round draft pick from South Florida. Not a single person logically would have expected him to be a stud dependable guy at this point in his career given all that.

What were his stats with probably more reps with Adams gone?

D

Deleted member 6794

I think no one is going to swoop in and defend MVS in the sense of believing he is going to be a stud, but the claim some have been saying to cut him is ignorant in my opinion.

MVS will definitely be given a chance to compete for a roster spot next offseason but there's a possibility he ends up being cut if he doesn't show improvement.

It's really hard for me to imagine the Packers matching up well against the likes of SF within AR12's remaining career.

Sure, we get SF to schlog through the mud at Lambeau we can slow them down. But to have to depend on this to mask our overall lack of speed?

My (sad, and regretful) prophesy is that we won't see another SuperBowl with AR12 under center.

The Packers have enough talent to build around to make it to another Super Bowl with Rodgers starting over the next few years. They will need to improve at some positions to actually make it work though.

With all the rule changes that make the passing game easier, I don't think it will be that difficult to find another good QB.

There are a ton of other NFL teams proving each and every season that it's not easy to replace a franchise quarterback by any means.

What were his stats with probably more reps with Adams gone?

MVS had six receptions for 203 yards and a touchdown in four games Adams missed because of an injury.

Reaction score
The silver lining is that GB will have a shot at a starting caliber WR in this draft.
The only position that concerns me is LB because it’s a position that is lacking in this draft and it’s GB’s biggest weakness.
They will likely need to turn to FA to get a legitimate run stopper at LB (or make a trade)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The silver lining is that GB will have a shot at a starting caliber WR in this draft.
The only position that concerns me is LB because it’s a position that is lacking in this draft and it’s GB’s biggest weakness.
They will likely need to turn to FA to get a legitimate run stopper at LB (or make a trade)

We are literally dying for an ILB that isn't just a run LB though?!?!?! We desperately in Pettine's system need a ILB with speed more than one which is tackler of runners.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DeVonta Smith would be a good addition to our wide receiver corps. I think Rodgers need more deep targets who can get open and dependable besides Adams with speed and this kid has what it takes.

Ladies and gentleman say hello to our 2020 receiving corps:
1. Adams
2. Geronimo
3. MVS
4. Smith
5. Jesus(the guy with the long hair)

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DeVonta Smith would be a good addition to our wide receiver corps. I think Rodgers need more deep targets who can get open and dependable besides Adams with speed and this kid has what it takes.

1. Adams
2. Geronimo
3. MVS
4. Smith
i think 2020 looks more like this..
Adams
2020 pick 2nd or 3rd round
Lazard
canada guy....his tape looks good....pray
EQ
MVS JK and Shepard...all on bubble and GA is long gone, no way we resign him.

Reaction score
We are literally dying for an ILB that isn't just a run LB though?!?!?! We desperately in Pettine's system need a ILB with speed more than one which is tackler of runners.
You’re referring to the LB #2 spot, which they like to use a Hybrid LB/SS (Oren/Greene/etc..)

I’m actually referring to ILB#1. Martinez gets a D- for block shedding and SF knew it and specifically attacked our weakness.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers actually need two inside linebackers with one being able to consistently stop the run and another excelling in coverage.

1. Adams
2. Geronimo
3. MVS
4. Smith

It would be extremely disappointing if the Packers receiving corps would look that way entering next season.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the plus side:
  • I expect Gute will be able to fill some of the holes on the team.
  • Hopefully the offense will be better in its second year.
On the downside:
  • Rodgers will be another year older. He is still capable of playing at a high level, but as we saw this season, his great games are becoming fewer and further between.
  • We overachieved this season. We went 9-1 in games decided by one possession. We went 6-0 in the division. Historically, teams like us are not be able to replicate that success the following year. We have some tough games on the schedule, including NO, SF, HOU, TEN. So 11-5 is a real possibility next year, which means no first round bye and yet another NFC Championship on the road if we make it that far.
Unknowns:
  • We better hope MVS and ESB have breakout seasons, because any WRs we draft will be unlikely to have a big impact in their first year. Either that or Gute needs to sign a proven WR.

We dont necessarily need a drafted receiver to make a big impact, someone who produces say 40+ receptions and 500+ yards would help the offense.

I think a guy like Jace Sternberger might surprise us next year, he wasn't asked to do much catching the ball but after returning from IR I understand that he looked good in practice and he put in good work in the run game. Maybe he turns into the versatile well rounded TE who can both block and stretch defenses vertically that we've been wanting for a while now.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We dont necessarily need a drafted receiver to make a big impact, someone who produces say 40+ receptions and 500+ yards would help the offense.

I think a guy like Jace Sternberger might surprise us next year, he wasn't asked to do much catching the ball but after returning from IR I understand that he looked good in practice and he put in good work in the run game. Maybe he turns into the versatile well rounded TE who can both block and stretch defenses vertically that we've been wanting for a while now.

This is where I'm at. I feel optimistic about Jace making an impact next year along with Lewis, if he wants to play another year.

Depending on if Lewis wants another year, that is the only way I'd want the Packers looking at Hooper. Hard to see Falcons moving on unless they cannot afford. But reports they are one of 4 teams interested in him. Maybe it is PTSD from the Graham signing.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers actually need two inside linebackers with one being able to consistently stop the run and another excelling in coverage.

It would be extremely disappointing if the Packers receiving corps would look that way entering next season.

I agree!

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think 2020 looks more like this..
Adams
2020 pick 2nd or 3rd round
Lazard
canada guy....his tape looks good....pray
EQ
MVS JK and Shepard...all on bubble and GA is long gone, no way we resign him.

Could be.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see them drafting two WR's similarly to when we drafted two early CB's. It's that much of a problem. ILB is as well, really I guess it depends on how the draft falls vs. who becomes available in FA.

at least wr and te.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Gute also said WR would be a position they will be looking at this offseason.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think no one is going to swoop in and defend MVS in the sense of believing he is going to be a stud, but the claim some have been saying to cut him is ignorant in my opinion. Rookie contract still, dude has raw burner ability and well worth keeping around unless you have 5 or 6 CLEARLY better options..which we do not presently. We may entering the 2020 season but right now I'm only putting Adams and Lazard ahead of him 100%.

I love EQ and personal opinion is he is higher for sure. I'd also not argue against saying GMo is ahead as well should he return...but that puts him at worst our 5th best option which atm on a rookie contract is hurting nothing to see if he grows.

MVS won't be cut. It was really asking a lot to expect a 4th rounder to be our #2 guy IMO. He can be a nice #3 or 4 but we really need to upgrade this position this offseason. I wouldn't mind a FA vet and a fairly high WR in this upcoming draft, which is reportedly deep at WR this year.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's really hard for me to imagine the Packers matching up well against the likes of SF within AR12's remaining career.

Sure, we get SF to schlog through the mud at Lambeau we can slow them down. But to have to depend on this to mask our overall lack of speed?

My (sad, and regretful) prophesy is that we won't see another SuperBowl with AR12 under center.

Now who do you suppose we can get lined up for Hall of Famer #3 in a row?

You don't believe we can improve this roster in the next couple of years to get back into the NFCC game? AR12 isn't a spring chicken but he is well above average at this point in his career. With all of our issues we got there this year with a rookie HC. If Gute can address our weaknesses this offseason I don't see why 2020 can't be successful.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1. Adams
2. Geronimo
3. MVS
4. Smith

I'd keep ESB around before Kumerow.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Because this is such a good WR class it would be foolhardy to not take one at #30 unless a really good one at another positions falls. If that happens then you take one in the 2nd round.