2020 Draft Class - 2021 Predictions

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bored, and sick of the Rodgers saga...let's put some "ink" down on some projections or predictions for what I think 2021 holds for the draftees/UDFAs of 2020...

JORDAN LOVE - Plays a roller coaster of a pre-season, going to in at least one outing put together an amazing game and folks will get the buzz to why maybe Gute liked him. He will also however struggle...so pretty much a rather predictable "rookie" pre-season. I expect him to do better than many believe though. He won't see playing time unless Rodgers is not active in one way or another for a game.

AJ DILLON - I think we see Dillon end up somewhere (without Jones injury) between 125-150 rush attempts. He'll average minimum 3.75 which will put him just north of 500 yards or so. The most interesting aspect of Dillon I predict will occur is like in his limited use we saw, he'll use his hands on 15-25 receptions as well. Dillon's sophomore season is going to see a lot of snaps, and he is going to be an excellent #2 behind Aaron Jones. I'll predict a line of 140 rushes for 525 yards, 17 receptions for 120 yards and will altogether chip in 7 TDs (6 rushing and 1 receiving). Dillon is a tough cookie to figure out and predict though I'll admit - used to heavy use and fully capable of such - don't be shocked if he sees more carries than Jamaal ever did and flirts with closer to 200 rather than the 140 I predicted - for reference Williams never rushed for more than 150 times save 153 times in 2017.

JOSIAH DEGUARA - We saw a glimpse of all the action/snaps he was getting VERY early on in 2020, and then the injury. Josiah is going to see around 20 snaps a game IMO and will constantly be part of the offensive cogs that make the MLF system flourish. He will be a guy that shouldn't be measured as a success based on his box score - albeit at times he'll appear - no his impact will be in blocking, positioning and being that support cast member doing everything else for others and the system. I'll place a line on him of 25 receptions for 225 yards and will chip in a TD.

KAMAL MARTIN (AND KRYS BARNES) - Gonna throw both into this slot as I see them both becoming more what they showed last year. I predict both will end the year with 100+ tackles, Barnes is going to be much better in coverage than many thought and each are going to chip in a couple sacks a piece as well. Neither of these guys are going to light the world unfire in 2021, but they will continue to be serviceable at worst and dependable at best with flashes of good sprinkled throughout.

JON RUNYON - Chances are Runyon will start a few games or earn a starting nod in 2021 for us after a SOLID 2020 rookie campaign where he was called upon more than we'd probably have hoped for. He saw 190 snaps last year, while I believe he could start depending how we handle the beginning of the season with Bahk out I'll say he for the most part serves as primary back up at the guard spots but will see 300 snaps this season or so.

JAKE HANSON - I think this is a pick we never see come to the gameday roster unless something unpredictable happens...he was a guy I loved in 2020 pre-draft for Day 3 - but Meyers is a gameday ready center right now out of college and I suspect that is precisely who will be our gameday 1 starter (with Jenkins and Patrick as backups on gameday offering more versatility than Hanson). Hanson remains a second season no doubt on our practice squad though I bet.

SIMON STEPNIAK - He feels like to me who will become the next Yosh Nijman, but I don't know where he is going to wash out for us or if he simply washes out. We added 4 solid OL this draft period (Meyers, Newman, Van Lanen and Cronk a UDFA with great experience)...there simply are too many OL around which I feel should out produce Simon for this year - his best chance is PS in 2021 and illustrate promise.

VERNON SCOTT - The fact we didn't draft a pure Safety this year had to make Scott smile (Uphoff an UDFA is a legit darkhorse though)...but Scott being active for 15 games last year is a promising sign that we like him. While no one wants to see him delve into a starting role, it would appear Scott's roster spot is his to lose and I don't think he does - he sees the roster, plays STs and sees only deep limited action with solid starters ahead of him on the depth chart.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers have signed WR DeAndre Thompkins. I liked this guy when he came out of PSU as a punt returner. Might be for camp bodies due to all the no-shows or to give him a shot at the return job.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers have signed WR DeAndre Thompkins. I liked this guy when he came out of PSU as a punt returner. Might be for camp bodies due to all the no-shows or to give him a shot at the return job.

i also liked his return chops

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ohhh, I like this game! Actual forecasting without having to deal with offseason soap opera drama!

Jordan Love - shows moments of potential with other moments of wtf?! Coaches all say the same nonsensical coachspeak things that don't actually mean anything. Looks good enough that the Packers can reasonably believe he'll be a good NFL starter in a season or two more (let's all remember this is his first real offseason of practice). He's active for every game but is the 3rd string QB.

AJ Dillon - He and Williams combined for 165 rush attempts last year. I'm going to guess that MLF trusts him more after a full offseason of practice and I'm going to say he gets 170 attempts and averages at least 4 yards per carry for a total of 680 rush yards. Williams had 35 targets last season and Dillon had 2 so I'm going to guess the team throws 30 passes his way this year (primarily because I'm not sure they trust him as much on passing downs as Jones) and he ends up with 25 catches for 200 yards. A nice little 880 yards from scrimmage season. Let's also give him 50 touchdowns. Disclaimer: all of this assumes a healthy Jones for every game because I don't want to imagine any injuries.

JOSIAH DEGUARA - (note I copied and pasted this because I will never, not one time, ever spell this name correctly). Wont' do much for stats but will help block for Jones and Dillon and most likely help compensate for Bakh while he's out (basically a clone of what Jusczyk does for the 49ers). I'm on record that I don't agree with drafting a FB/TE that early but I'll keep my fingers crossed he proves me wrong.

KAMAL MARTIN (AND KRYS BARNES) - will be adequate, if slightly below average, starting ILBs. Not sure we saw enough from Martin last season to make any real judgments but he's the more athletic of the two so hopefully we can see some flashes of what he might become.

Jon Runyan - Hopefully we don't see too much of him. He's a depth guy who can take up some space but I think he'd be a pretty big negative if forced to start too often.

Jake Hanson - Packers replaced him in this draft. At best he might be practice squad but I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers use that practice squad spot on a position with weaker depth.

Vernon Scott - In my ideal world he would be good enough to start with Amos and allow Savage to play nickel corner or the star position. Most likely he's a depth guy who's still learning the position and is a primary backup at safety (which, btw, is an AMAZING outcome for the 236th pick in the draft).

D

Deleted member 6794

Jon Runyan - Hopefully we don't see too much of him. He's a depth guy who can take up some space but I think he'd be a pretty big negative if forced to start too often.

Runyan showed potential in limited action last season. While that opinion is based on a small sample size I would feel more comfortable about him starting in place of Patrick or any other guard aside of Jenkins on the roster.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope, didn't know that. Here's to hoping my quickly typed guess is wrong!

Yup, and honestly unless a rookie draft pick surprises folks - he is the early option both by what he showed in 2020 but also by default of what else we have.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Runyan showed potential in limited action last season. While that opinion is based on a small sample size I would feel more comfortable about him starting in place of Patrick or any other guard aside of Jenkins on the roster.

I really liked what I saw of Runyan last year and think he may end up being a 6th round steal and a potential future startup. I think he was the first guy off the bench a couple times last year when a starter would go down.

I hated loosing Bahk, but of all the position groups, I really like what we have on the OL in the way of both starters and depth. The last 2 drafts have seen 6 O-Lineman selected and I think Gute knows just how important having 7 or even 8 quality guys there can be a difference maker.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordan Love - I think he plays in the preseason and the gameplan is kept pretty simple. He looks good but isn't ready for the real thing. If Rodgers gets traded, Blake starts and Love comes in for a few snaps per game. If we are out of the playoff race by game 10, he starts and does well but not great. But the potential will be very obvious to all.

AJ Dillon - I think he splits carries with AJ/AD/KH 60/30/10. Dillon will see rushes every game. Especially late in the game. Give Jones a rest and pummel the ILBs for a series or 2. His value won't be reflected in his stats.

JOSIAH DEGUARA - MPFYG. Most important First Year Guy. Before he got hurt here really caught my eye. He is perfect for the offense philosophy - you don't know what is coming. Run, screen, block, go deep, and you don't know till a few moments into the play.

KAMAL MARTIN (AND KRYS BARNES) - excited to see what these two men can do. They were both kind of raw. They both didn't have a full TC. They didn't have a preseason. Yet they did well. A year of experience and an entire offseason should bring even better results.

Jon Runyan - played well as a rookie. Would not be surprised if he earns a starting spot. Started OTAs at starting Left OG.

Jake Hanson - no idea

Vernon Scott - no idea

D

Deleted member 6794

I hated loosing Bahk, but of all the position groups, I really like what we have on the OL in the way of both starters and depth. The last 2 drafts have seen 6 O-Lineman selected and I think Gute knows just how important having 7 or even 8 quality guys there can be a difference maker.

The Packers seem to have enough depth on the interior of the offensive line but I'm worried about it at tackle.

Reaction score
The Packers seem to have enough depth on the interior of the offensive line but I'm worried about it at tackle.
Keep an eye on Royce. I think he’s got a year on the bench and grow into his body/strength (much like Bak did if you recall) but he’s got ideal length and he moves well at 310lbs. Nice pick there end of round 4

You might have meant LT, but I think Elgton will do a sufficient job until Bak returns.

D

Deleted member 6794

You might have meant LT, but I think Elgton will do a sufficient job until Bak returns.

There's no doubt in my mind the offensive line will be weakened by Jenkins, Runyan and Myers starting at left tackle, left guard and center compared to last season.

With the Packers not having any proven depth at tackle I'm concerned about both sides at the position.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt in my mind the offensive line will be weakened by Jenkins, Runyan and Myers starting at left tackle, left guard and center compared to last season.

With the Packers not having any proven depth at tackle I'm concerned about both sides at the position.
I didn't understand why Runyon was left out of the equation in the playoffs. I thought he did well when he started at guard.

Reaction score
Well I guess it doesn’t confront me like it does you. I’ve seen far worse numbers of options in the past and also on others’ teams.
Stepaniak, Runyon Jr., Van Lanen, Newman, Nijman and Turner have all played OT regularly at some points of their careers. That doesn’t even account for Elgton or Bakhtiari who should be back by mid-season. We’ve got a ton (literally more than a ton) of versatility at the Tackle position and likely one of the top 5-10 graded OL in the league as a unit.

I think the sleeper of this draft class might be our 4th round selection Newman. Once he’s up to speed I think he’ll impress. His tape was very good there at Ole Miss. You’ll probably like he played lots of top competition at a high level

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Stepaniak, Runyon Jr., Van Lanen, Newman, Nijman and Turner have all played OT regularly at some points of their careers. That doesn’t even account for Elgton or Bakhtiari who should be back by mid-season. We’ve got a ton (literally more than a ton) of versatility at the Tackle position and likely one of the top 5-10 graded OL in the league as a unit.

Bakhtiari is great but most likely will miss a significant portion of the season. Turner is serviceable at right tackle. While Jenkins can play both spots at a decent level he's best suited to line up inside.

The rest of the players mentioned are late round picks who haven't proven to be adequate at tackle at the pro level resulting in me being concerned about the quality of depth at the position.

I think the sleeper of this draft class might be our 4th round selection Van Lanen. Once he’s up to speed I think he’ll impress. His tape was very good there at Ole Miss. You’ll probably like he played lots of top competition at a high level

For the record, Van Lanen played at Wisconsin.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the other record Newman was drafted in the 4th round and played at Ole Miss and is likely who he was referencing. I am sure others picked up on this also and like myself (until now) decided not to comment since our number one goal is not to disagree with as many posts as we can.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am sure others picked up on this also and like myself (until now) decided not to comment since our number one goal is not to disagree with as many posts as we can.

It's strange how many members have an issue with posters disagreeing with each other.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bored, and sick of the Rodgers saga...let's put some "ink" down on some projections or predictions for what I think 2021 holds for the draftees/UDFAs of 2020...

JORDAN LOVE - Plays a roller coaster of a pre-season, going to in at least one outing put together an amazing game and folks will get the buzz to why maybe Gute liked him. He will also however struggle...so pretty much a rather predictable "rookie" pre-season. I expect him to do better than many believe though. He won't see playing time unless Rodgers is not active in one way or another for a game.

AJ DILLON - I think we see Dillon end up somewhere (without Jones injury) between 125-150 rush attempts. He'll average minimum 3.75 which will put him just north of 500 yards or so. The most interesting aspect of Dillon I predict will occur is like in his limited use we saw, he'll use his hands on 15-25 receptions as well. Dillon's sophomore season is going to see a lot of snaps, and he is going to be an excellent #2 behind Aaron Jones. I'll predict a line of 140 rushes for 525 yards, 17 receptions for 120 yards and will altogether chip in 7 TDs (6 rushing and 1 receiving). Dillon is a tough cookie to figure out and predict though I'll admit - used to heavy use and fully capable of such - don't be shocked if he sees more carries than Jamaal ever did and flirts with closer to 200 rather than the 140 I predicted - for reference Williams never rushed for more than 150 times save 153 times in 2017.

JOSIAH DEGUARA - We saw a glimpse of all the action/snaps he was getting VERY early on in 2020, and then the injury. Josiah is going to see around 20 snaps a game IMO and will constantly be part of the offensive cogs that make the MLF system flourish. He will be a guy that shouldn't be measured as a success based on his box score - albeit at times he'll appear - no his impact will be in blocking, positioning and being that support cast member doing everything else for others and the system. I'll place a line on him of 25 receptions for 225 yards and will chip in a TD.

KAMAL MARTIN (AND KRYS BARNES) - Gonna throw both into this slot as I see them both becoming more what they showed last year. I predict both will end the year with 100+ tackles, Barnes is going to be much better in coverage than many thought and each are going to chip in a couple sacks a piece as well. Neither of these guys are going to light the world unfire in 2021, but they will continue to be serviceable at worst and dependable at best with flashes of good sprinkled throughout.

JON RUNYON - Chances are Runyon will start a few games or earn a starting nod in 2021 for us after a SOLID 2020 rookie campaign where he was called upon more than we'd probably have hoped for. He saw 190 snaps last year, while I believe he could start depending how we handle the beginning of the season with Bahk out I'll say he for the most part serves as primary back up at the guard spots but will see 300 snaps this season or so.

JAKE HANSON
- I think this is a pick we never see come to the gameday roster unless something unpredictable happens...he was a guy I loved in 2020 pre-draft for Day 3 - but Meyers is a gameday ready center right now out of college and I suspect that is precisely who will be our gameday 1 starter (with Jenkins and Patrick as backups on gameday offering more versatility than Hanson). Hanson remains a second season no doubt on our practice squad though I bet.

SIMON STEPNIAK - He feels like to me who will become the next Yosh Nijman, but I don't know where he is going to wash out for us or if he simply washes out. We added 4 solid OL this draft period (Meyers, Newman, Van Lanen and Cronk a UDFA with great experience)...there simply are too many OL around which I feel should out produce Simon for this year - his best chance is PS in 2021 and illustrate promise.

VERNON SCOTT - The fact we didn't draft a pure Safety this year had to make Scott smile (Uphoff an UDFA is a legit darkhorse though)...but Scott being active for 15 games last year is a promising sign that we like him. While no one wants to see him delve into a starting role, it would appear Scott's roster spot is his to lose and I don't think he does - he sees the roster, plays STs and sees only deep limited action with solid starters ahead of him on the depth chart.
Deguara has to come back and be a guy. Tonyan is a great weapon but we don't have alot behind him. I look for and hope Deguara can be that guy. Martin I think comes out and claims a starting spot with I think Barnes but it could be anyone beside him in that room. Runyon I look to be the #6 O-Lineman, and an early starter with D Bakh out. Hanson I'm not sure about I think Meyers might be better and the starters.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that the biggest x-factor for Deguara will be the confidence in his knee. Luckily his knee injury happened earlier in the season so he might be close to the guy we saw last season.

Bakhtiari is great but most likely will miss a significant portion of the season.
Some of the media have reported seeing Bakhtiari doing much more at OTAs than they would have expected only six months after tearing his knee. While I am skeptical of the hype that he may be ready for Week 1, it sounds like missing a significant portion of the season may only happen if he suffers a setback.

Reaction score
I think that the biggest x-factor for Deguara will be the confidence in his knee. Luckily his knee injury happened earlier in the season so he might be close to the guy we saw last season.

Some of the media have reported seeing Bakhtiari doing much more at OTAs than they would have expected only six months after tearing his knee. While I am skeptical of the hype that he may be ready for Week 1, it sounds like missing a significant portion of the season may only happen if he suffers a setback.
I agree. My best guess is they won’t rush Bak back. But getting back one of the best LT in the league is also a priority. Balancing that magic is another matter. I think we’ll see Bak early October range.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, they never rush anyone back.

However, the doctors will follow what they see. If someone is showing that they are completely healed, they will clear that player. I'll keep my hopes high and expectations low.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts