2020 as it fell....

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think the current ilb group is the best they've had in years. Kirksey is essentially blake martinez at half the cost...and we're about to really find out about ty summers but he made some good plays against the saints. I get it some bad ones too. Barnes has already shown to be better than just about everyone they've had recently not named blake.

Then you have Kamal martin who was on a rare track for a Packers rookie...set to start the opener prior to being injured. If he's as good as they think he is, the Packers just might finally have a ilb group that's not a glaring weakness
Forgot to ask, when is Martin expected to be back?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well watt's an outside linebacker I believe but trading out of the spot they could of had watt will be a move the Packers regret for as long as watt plays...that was a no brainer pick if there ever was one. And while kevin king is certainly an above avg player he just isn't the anywhere close to the player watt has become and that was clear in the projection at the time...

Watt 4 ints 20 pds 38 sacks 15 ff 4 fr 186 tkls 41 tfl

King 6 ints 22 pds 1 sack 1 ff 1 fr 124 tkls 5 tfl

King has 2 more ints and 2 more passes defensed which is pretty amazing considering the position difference and that watt has done that while also posting 37 more sacks 36 more tfl and 14 more ff...
So I go to my mailbox today and who graces the cover of SI? T.J. Watt as the best strip sacker in football. Ouch!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I thought that was cuz of what he was rumored to be doing outside of the league rules, hadn't heard that about watt but don't doubt it's true about a lot of guys
I think some do more things outside of league rules than others.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's still so early in the season (barring injuries). So far Laviska Shenault is proving me wrong! Looks like he's just keeping his head down and doing all the right things(not being asked to do everything is nice for once!). I'm still on the wire with Justin Jefferson.
Patrick Queen -- Woo baby. Hes playing lights out. My only worry before draft was physicality -- but that Ravens Defense culture, ILB responsibility and try hard attitude rubbed off on him.
I was high on Gabriel Davis and Chase Claypool, so far they look good for rooks!
Cant wait for: A.J. Dillion, Anthony McFarland, K.J. Hill to get a chance to play.

Defensive players are so hard to grade either you're a first rounder and get playing time or wait your turn till someone gets injured. Shaquille Quarterman, Jacob Phillips & Khaleke Hudson LBS I'm looking forward to see get playing time.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was curious how "my picks" are doing:

Pittman - Is really starting to come into his own in the Colts system, proven he would have been a dependable option and probably been our #2/#3 guy for sure.

Niang - Well, opted out...so...

Troy Pride Jr - has played over 50% of Panthers' snaps, isn't grading out the best but still contributing as a rookie on a bad team...he'd have been a solid #3 CB here.

Justin Strnad - Injured in training camp....

Runyon - SOLID pick

Hanson - Didn't expect to know until 2021 if or what he is...stashed on our Practice Squad presently.

KJ Hill - Only 7 receptions but has played in every game this year...for a late Day 3 he's doing about what one would expect...with Ervin down I bet if here he'd been given a chance for that jet/sweep role.

Nate Stanley - Practice Squader...project/future back up so it was a flyer no doubt

AJ Green - Practice Squad guy - unknown future.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Pittman - Is really starting to come into his own in the Colts system, proven he would have been a dependable option and probably been our #2/#3 guy for sure.

Troy Pride Jr - has played over 50% of Panthers' snaps, isn't grading out the best but still contributing as a rookie on a bad team...he'd have been a solid #3 CB here.

Runyon - SOLID pick

Hanson - Didn't expect to know until 2021 if or what he is...stashed on our Practice Squad presently.

KJ Hill - Only 7 receptions but has played in every game this year...for a late Day 3 he's doing about what one would expect...with Ervin down I bet if here he'd been given a chance for that jet/sweep role.

Nate Stanley - Practice Squader...project/future back up so it was a flyer no doubt

I was also a really big fan of Pittman's, and felt that he was a Packers "type" at WR. He would have been my pick for them.

However, it's interesting to me that Pittman's role in LaFleur's offense would be the one that Lazard is playing.

In 12 games, Pittman has 38/475/1 (12.5 YPR). He's converted eight 3rd downs on 19 targets.

In 9 games, Lazard has 31/434/3 (14.0 YPR). He's converted nine 3rd downs on 11 targets.

Obviously if you could just pick between the two of them right now, you'd take Pittman because of the projection. But in 2020, they've been better off with Lazard.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was also a really big fan of Pittman's, and felt that he was a Packers "type" at WR. He would have been my pick for them.

However, it's interesting to me that Pittman's role in LaFleur's offense would be the one that Lazard is playing.

In 12 games, Pittman has 38/475/1 (12.5 YPR). He's converted eight 3rd downs on 19 targets.

In 9 games, Lazard has 31/434/3 (14.0 YPR). He's converted nine 3rd downs on 11 targets.

Obviously if you could just pick between the two of them right now, you'd take Pittman because of the projection. But in 2020, they've been better off with Lazard.

I concur on the Lazard and Pittman comparison. I still though believe Pittman is slightly more diverse and is a better route guy than Lazard. I'd have liked to see Lazard put up a full season, because he projects well.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I concur on the Lazard and Pittman comparison. I still though believe Pittman is slightly more diverse and is a better route guy than Lazard. I'd have liked to see Lazard put up a full season, because he projects well.

Yeah, Pittman is probably a better route runner. Not sure he'd have been as effective at all the dirty work that Lazard does to free up other guys though.

It's just interesting to me because if, on draft day, you told fans that we don't need Pittman in 2020 because we have Lazrard, it wouldn't have gone over. And yet.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Runyon - SOLID pic,

Nice summary Dantes. Runyon proved to be a later round surprise. He has played well in his first year, contributing to the depth on the strongest unit on the team. And he helps provide #12, no small matter.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice summary Dantes. Runyon proved to be a later round surprise. He has played well in his first year, contributing to the depth on the strongest unit on the team. And he helps provide #12, no small matter.

Man @Dantés always gets the credit for what others post LOL

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man @Dantés always gets the credit for what others post LOL
Oh damn I'm sorry Ty, mea culpa! Good job on the summary and it takes guts to go back and look at your own predictions. Well done buddy. Hey who drafted Pittman? I seem to recall he was a guy we may have gone after.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh damn I'm sorry Ty, mea culpa! Good job on the summary and it takes guts to go back and look at your own predictions. Well done buddy. Hey who drafted Pittman? I seem to recall he was a guy we may have gone after.

Colts, and I do firmly believe he and Shenault were the two guys Gute has hinted at they tried to make move up for in 2nd round but nothing came to be. Higgins, could have been the second guy (went first pick in the 2nd round) but I believe it was Laviska.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colts, and I do firmly believe he and Shenault were the two guys Gute has hinted at they tried to make move up for in 2nd round but nothing came to be. Higgins, could have been the second guy (went first pick in the 2nd round) but I believe it was Laviska.
Thanks Ty, Happy New Year!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I remember Shenault's name being kicked around pre-draft. Do you know where he went, and what kind of year he's had? Happy New Year Ty!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yeah I remember Shenault's name being kicked around pre-draft. Do you know where he went, and what kind of year he's had? Happy New Year Ty!

The Jags took Shenault in the 2nd round (#42 overall). He's currently sitting at 52/532/3 as a receiver, chipping in 17 rushes for 93 yards.

He has basically met pre-draft expectations.

1. He's been banged up at times, which was part of his profile.

2. He's been fairly good after the catch (5.4 YAC per reception).

3. He's been used some one the ground to good effect (5.5 YPC).

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Laviska has done very well especially given skill or lack of at QB and on that team.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Shenault would have thrived with LaFleur. He is an unconventional WR with a lot of after contact ability.

The concern with Shenault, if I remember correct, was he had a pretty substantial injury history. Fun player.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jags took Shenault in the 2nd round (#42 overall). He's currently sitting at 52/532/3 as a receiver, chipping in 17 rushes for 93 yards.

He has basically met pre-draft expectations.

1. He's been banged up at times, which was part of his profile.

2. He's been fairly good after the catch (5.4 YAC per reception).

3. He's been used some one the ground to good effect (5.5 YPC).
Thanks Dantes.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

One guy they may have been targeting is K.J. Hamler.

I was not a fan, but he would be able to do some things in the jet motion game. As we've seen with the acquisition of Tavon Austin, they value the role.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One guy they may have been targeting is K.J. Hamler.

I was not a fan, but he would be able to do some things in the jet motion game. As we've seen with the acquisition of Tavon Austin, they value the role.

I remember us disagreeing on Hamler, I was much higher on him than you. He isn't anything amazing, and the biggest issue I have is same issue I have with like Moore from Purdue this year. Those Gadgety style guys that to me don't illustrate true WR skills, while special have very limited role in the offense - and spending high draft pick equity on them is tough for me to do.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts