2020 as it fell....

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So many are or have twisted much discussion of what I've said or expressed on the draft. So let's do an exercise of the 2020 draft now that we know precisely when and where players were available. Obviously, changing our picks could or would impact the rest of the draft, BUT we know far more than we did for draft predictions.

We will even keep the "trade up" we did as well. So....I have the power what would I have done:

#26 - With Aiyuk off the board on my big board I have one clear and ahead by A LOT wide out - in Pittman. It is rare to have a guy with a floor that is as high as his. Sure many would argue Mims or Claypool or Laviska have higher ceilings...but I want someone I for sure think I can throw a lot at and he have the best chance at delivering his rookie year. I hand in a card with Michael Pittman written on it.

Valid considerations: Epenesa IMO had NO business lasting past 25...not a need but building that front with Smiths, Gary and he on the edges...yikes. Blacklock DT is also a valid consideration to help and assist Clark up front as well.

#62 - I remember setting there when #62 came on the clock I was truly beside myself as to what direction I would go between three positions rich with options.:
  • Offensive Tackle/Lucas Niang...a prospect at Tackle which I really liked and fully knew was not making it to our next pick unless we traded up. Josh Jones wasn't my pick but I did in the back of my mind know he was an option to be called.
  • Linebacker/Logan Wilson....many know I loved how he projects into the NFL. Pairing him with Kirksey and they rest of our defense is something I really wanted to see...I mean give me a hard nosed no fear cowboy at any position.
  • Defensive Line/Madubulke...we need to get Clark help and I truly feel Madubulke can handle assistance role right out the gate...and could become something special with time and growth.
Given my belief that Niang will become an NFL starting tackle and the fact we enter the season with Bahk in a contract year and Wagner at RT....I select the hopeful long term RT replacement of Bulaga. I hand in a card with Lucas Niang's name on it.

#94 - Having found a top 5 WR and Top 10 OT on my boards....sitting at #94 the draft has opened up in a way I didn't foresee. I'm seeing immense value along the defensive side of the ball. I can go with a trench type guy in Algim...ILB with vastly different options in Malik to stop run more or Akeem Davis-Gaither a more athletic side to side type guy.....or sitting there for the taking is a DB I'm high on in Troy Pride. If I hadn't already nabbed a OT, Peart would be the pick here BUT we got Niang....

In the end with so many more important contracts coming up, and King possibly performing himself out of us keeping him...getting Troy Pride right here is a win and I joyfully write his name down. Pettine is grinning from ear to ear imagining having Jaire, King and Pride to play with together for at least one year.

#175 - It's been a long wait...some calls for trade ups just didn't come to be...so here we are. Strnad is a guy I circled for this pick from the start...and is surprisingly still there. He is possibly the best intersection of need meet board of the first four picks...and Kirksey officially has found his back up (hopefully). Justin Strnad is the pick. To be fair Runyon is on my radar already...and was on the true draft night.

#192 - I've been watching carefully as we passed on Runyon in the 5th for Strnad....and he is still there. So is a BIG trench guy we like in Penisini. However, in the end Runyon is a position of unknown futures despite Niang already drafted...Jon Runyon has potential starter written on him and has flexibility to play Guard. Runyon is the pick.

#209 - Hanson as many know here on the boards is a Center I really liked for the future without Linsley I've been pushing for. He is still there and 100% without hesitation his name is the selection. Jake Hanson is the pick.

#210 - There has been one name at WR that has surprised me along the way that has made it this far, KJ Hill. Hill is a very intriguing guy to me and despite adding Funchess, growth of Lazard, return of EQ and Begelton addition KJ is merely too much to pass in the spot. KJ Hill is the pick.

#236 - Knowing Aaron's getting longer in the tooth...there is an intriguing pocket guy that is still out there I circled for Day 3 to keep an eye on. Nate Stanley out of Iowa. Does he blow you away at anything he does; not necessarily. Does he do anything bad, also not necessarily. Throws a solid ball, is smart and size wise nothing to dislike. Well worth a gamble in the 7th that could be groomed into a seriously good back up. Nate Stanley is my pick here.

#242 - To be 100% honest I had Garvin on my radar, but as a target UDFA. He has a lot of growing up to do...and at #242 as the draft fell I was looking at two specific players I'd have strongly considered spending my last pick on. The TEs Stephen Sullivan out of LSU and Hunter Bryant out of Washington...as well as AJ Green the defensive back from OSU. In the end I sense one of the TEs or even Charlie Taumoepeau will be there as TOP priority in UDFAs. AJ Green projects VERY well and he is 100% the pick here.

Overall just the picks
Michael Pittman - WR
Lucas Niang - OT
Troy Pride Jr - CB
Justin Strnad - LB
Jon Runyon - OT/OG
Jake Hanson - C
KJ Hill - WR
Nate Stanley - QB
Aj Green - CB

Last edited:

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KJ Hamler went in the second round to the Broncos. However I like your draft overall. Though I got to say our recent draft has kind of grown on me - where I was heavily against I am somewhat allright with it now.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KJ Hamler went in the second round to the Broncos. However I like your draft overall. Though I got to say our recent draft has kind of grown on me - where I was heavily against I am somewhat allright with it now.

Hang on something isn't right. I had to have mis typed someone. Hang on

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hill! KJ Hill

Facepalm moment. So sorry folks, I mean Hill who was there still

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There is some solid choices we did, albeit NOT as I would have. Doesn't change the fact we got some good ones.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty good.
Here's mine.

R1P26: Denzel Mims, WR

R2P62 Lucas Niang, OT

R3P94 Tyler Biadasz, C

R5P175 Netani Muti, G

R6P192 Evan Weaver, LB

R6P208 KJ Hill, WR

R6P209 Stephen Sullivan, TE

R7P236 Raymond Calais, RB

R7P242 Jonathan Garvin, OLB

And if it were me I wouldn't have traded up from 30.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if it were me I wouldn't have traded up from 30.

I was firmly in the trade back camp, there was IMMENSE depth of value in the 2nd-3rd rounds this year IMO. The issue though quickly became I personally didn't have a top tier WR left at 30 besides Pittman. Mims in the 2nd would have been GREAT value though. All are what ifs at this point, but still a fun exercise nontheless.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was firmly in the trade back camp, there was IMMENSE depth of value in the 2nd-3rd rounds this year IMO. The issue though quickly became I personally didn't have a top tier WR left at 30 besides Pittman. Mims in the 2nd would have been GREAT value though. All are what ifs at this point, but still a fun exercise nontheless.
I had Mims as my WR3 so I have to disagree on the no top tier value left if we stayed at 30. But I would have also been in the trade down camp provided there was a reasonable offer on the table, I really hated trading up and there turned out to be plenty of good player on the board in round 4

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had Mims as my WR3 so I have to disagree on the no top tier value left if we stayed at 30. But I would have also been in the trade down camp provided there was a reasonable offer on the table, I really hated trading up and there turned out to be plenty of good player on the board in round 4

You won't find dislike from me for Mims, merely just not ranked as high for me. Once we left Day 1 this year, I was willing to see us package a 2021 2nd or 3rd rounder to move up to get Pittman OR Mims once Pittman was gone early Day 2

Taryn Miller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many, likely most, originally and instantly agreed that Gute blew the draft with the trade up for Love, and his consequent over-drafting of those that followed assured such feelings. Those who are now finding agreement with Gute are doing so out of loyalty to the franchise (likely denied), especially since being drafted, not one player has been seen in action, less any self produced video or auto-scripted write-ups to help in the indoctrination to accepting that all done by the FO is done well always.

It's like they're already in the Packers HOF and whatever they don't do on the field will not matter, and yet in the same breath, we again need to wait for 3 years to justify such thinking, while also creating the excuse list for each one's failure, when applicable to reveal.

Trading up or drafting a player a round or two earlier than projected should eliminate much of that 3-year waiting period because you felt that player to be under-valued by other teams. If those players cannot perform quicker, than either the player was valued correctly by all the others or your scouting needs improvement or a total overhaul.

I didn't like the draft, but don't confuse that with not liking the players. The only way that mindset changes is by what they do and how quick they get to do it. If GB drafted for the future, fine, but doing so has more likely killed the now, and for those who believe this team was a real 13-3 record and a true one game away SB participant, you shouldn't be happy or find yourself agreeing via loyalty, you should be extremely upset that the decade waiting for the next, fail to see the bulldozer dumping dirt on top of it.

I hope the bulldozer can be halted, but the increase in play level for so many, doesn't make it seem likely.

Reaction score
Many, likely most, originally and instantly agreed that Gute blew the draft with the trade up for Love, and his consequent over-drafting of those that followed assured such feelings. Those who are now finding agreement with Gute are doing so out of loyalty to the franchise (likely denied), especially since being drafted, not one player has been seen in action, less any self produced video or auto-scripted write-ups to help in the indoctrination to accepting that all done by the FO is done well always.

It's like they're already in the Packers HOF and whatever they don't do on the field will not matter, and yet in the same breath, we again need to wait for 3 years to justify such thinking, while also creating the excuse list for each one's failure, when applicable to reveal.

Trading up or drafting a player a round or two earlier than projected should eliminate much of that 3-year waiting period because you felt that player to be under-valued by other teams. If those players cannot perform quicker, than either the player was valued correctly by all the others or your scouting needs improvement or a total overhaul.

I didn't like the draft, but don't confuse that with not liking the players. The only way that mindset changes is by what they do and how quick they get to do it. If GB drafted for the future, fine, but doing so has more likely killed the now, and for those who believe this team was a real 13-3 record and a true one game away SB participant, you shouldn't be happy or find yourself agreeing via loyalty, you should be extremely upset that the decade waiting for the next, fail to see the bulldozer dumping dirt on top of it.

I hope the bulldozer can be halted, but the increase in play level for so many, doesn't make it seem likely.
The Love selection definitely changed the trajectory of the remaining selections. While it’s not how I would’ve went about it personally, I also understand GB has an entire staff of personnel guys that have decades of combined experience building rosters. Us novice fans tend to think with a more surfaced approach angle. No question the top of the draft creates a domino effect, especially when you trade up.
There’s 2 selections that GB made that at least have an opportunity to compete for substantial playing time this season. RB and ILB. Both are positions that don’t currently have firmly entrenched #2 types or both draft positions have historically gotten involved earlier than later.

As said before I likely would’ve traded back, ideally between 33-40. To be realistic and flexible I likely would’ve traded our 1st/4th for a early 2nd and early 3rd.
We could’ve had to start.
DT Blacklock
WR Mims (using a packaged 2nd/5th rounder)

Then two 3rd rounders who I would’ve been sniffing the best prospect at LB, OL, RB, TE etc.. There’s an outside chance Dillon would’ve been there by our #72 move up and still had Deguara at his original #94.

Then moving on to round 6 and 7.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
V
So many are or have twisted much discussion of what I've said or expressed on the draft. So let's do an exercise of the 2020 draft now that we know precisely when and where players were available. Obviously, changing our picks could or would impact the rest of the draft, BUT we know far more than we did for draft predictions.

We will even keep the "trade up" we did as well. So....I have the power what would I have done:

#26 - With Aiyuk off the board on my big board I have one clear and ahead by A LOT wide out - in Pittman. It is rare to have a guy with a floor that is as high as his. Sure many would argue Mims or Claypool or Laviska have higher ceilings...but I want someone I for sure think I can throw a lot at and he have the best chance at delivering his rookie year. I hand in a card with Michael Pittman written on it.

Valid considerations: Epenesa IMO had NO business lasting past 25...not a need but building that front with Smiths, Gary and he on the edges...yikes. Blacklock DT is also a valid consideration to help and assist Clark up front as well.

#62 - I remember setting there when #62 came on the clock I was truly beside myself as to what direction I would go between three positions rich with options.:
  • Offensive Tackle/Lucas Niang...a prospect at Tackle which I really liked and fully knew was not making it to our next pick unless we traded up. Josh Jones wasn't my pick but I did in the back of my mind know he was an option to be called.
  • Linebacker/Logan Wilson....many know I loved how he projects into the NFL. Pairing him with Kirksey and they rest of our defense is something I really wanted to see...I mean give me a hard nosed no fear cowboy at any position.
  • Defensive Line/Madubulke...we need to get Clark help and I truly feel Madubulke can handle assistance role right out the gate...and could become something special with time and growth.
Given my belief that Niang will become an NFL starting tackle and the fact we enter the season with Bahk in a contract year and Wagner at RT....I select the hopeful long term RT replacement of Bulaga. I hand in a card with Lucas Niang's name on it.

#94 - Having found a top 5 WR and Top 10 OT on my boards....sitting at #94 the draft has opened up in a way I didn't foresee. I'm seeing immense value along the defensive side of the ball. I can go with a trench type guy in Algim...ILB with vastly different options in Malik to stop run more or Akeem Davis-Gaither a more athletic side to side type guy.....or sitting there for the taking is a DB I'm high on in Troy Pride. If I hadn't already nabbed a OT, Peart would be the pick here BUT we got Niang....

In the end with so many more important contracts coming up, and King possibly performing himself out of us keeping him...getting Troy Pride right here is a win and I joyfully write his name down. Pettine is grinning from ear to ear imagining having Jaire, King and Pride to play with together for at least one year.

#175 - It's been a long wait...some calls for trade ups just didn't come to be...so here we are. Strnad is a guy I circled for this pick from the start...and is surprisingly still there. He is possibly the best intersection of need meet board of the first four picks...and Kirksey officially has found his back up (hopefully). Justin Strnad is the pick. To be fair Runyon is on my radar already...and was on the true draft night.

#192 - I've been watching carefully as we passed on Runyon in the 5th for Strnad....and he is still there. So is a BIG trench guy we like in Penisini. However, in the end Runyon is a position of unknown futures despite Niang already drafted...Jon Runyon has potential starter written on him and has flexibility to play Guard. Runyon is the pick.

#209 - Hanson as many know here on the boards is a Center I really liked for the future without Linsley I've been pushing for. He is still there and 100% without hesitation his name is the selection. Jake Hanson is the pick.

#210 - There has been one name at WR that has surprised me along the way that has made it this far, KJ Hill. Hill is a very intriguing guy to me and despite adding Funchess, growth of Lazard, return of EQ and Begelton addition KJ is merely too much to pass in the spot. KJ Hill is the pick.

#236 - Knowing Aaron's getting longer in the tooth...there is an intriguing pocket guy that is still out there I circled for Day 3 to keep an eye on. Nate Stanley out of Iowa. Does he blow you away at anything he does; not necessarily. Does he do anything bad, also not necessarily. Throws a solid ball, is smart and size wise nothing to dislike. Well worth a gamble in the 7th that could be groomed into a seriously good back up. Nate Stanley is my pick here.

#242 - To be 100% honest I had Garvin on my radar, but as a target UDFA. He has a lot of growing up to do...and at #242 as the draft fell I was looking at two specific players I'd have strongly considered spending my last pick on. The TEs Stephen Sullivan out of LSU and Hunter Bryant out of Washington...as well as AJ Green the defensive back from OSU. In the end I sense one of the TEs or even Charlie Taumoepeau will be there as TOP priority in UDFAs. AJ Green projects VERY well and he is 100% the pick here.

Overall just the picks
Michael Pittman - WR
Lucas Niang - OT
Troy Pride Jr - CB
Justin Strnad - LB
Jon Runyon - OT/OG
Jake Hanson - C
KJ Hill - WR
Nate Stanley - QB
Aj Green - CB
Very nicely done Ty! My only change, I’d take Epenesa in round 1. Can’t believe he fell that far. I do like Pittman, but feel Epenesa provides more immediate help for the porous run D.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Love selection definitely changed the trajectory of the remaining selections. While it’s not how I would’ve went about it personally, I also understand GB has an entire staff of personnel guys that have decades of combined experience building rosters. Us novice fans tend to think with a more surfaced approach angle. No question the top of the draft creates a domino effect, especially when you trade up.
There’s 2 selections that GB made that at least have an opportunity to compete for substantial playing time this season. RB and ILB. Both are positions that don’t currently have firmly entrenched #2 types or both draft positions have historically gotten involved earlier than later.

As said before I likely would’ve traded back, ideally between 33-40. To be realistic and flexible I likely would’ve traded our 1st/4th for a early 2nd and early 3rd.
We could’ve had to start.
DT Blacklock
WR Mims (using a packaged 2nd/5th rounder)

Then two 3rd rounders who I would’ve been sniffing the best prospect at LB, OL, RB, TE etc.. There’s an outside chance Dillon would’ve been there by our #72 move up and still had Deguara at his original #94.

Then moving on to round 6 and 7.
Agreed. Trading back from 30 would have made sense in a draft this deep. Ah well, the past is the past. The more I’ve looked at it, the more I like the selections of Dillon and Runyan, two guys who will contribute early in their careers. Dillon, to me, is what Eddy Lacy coulda/shoulda been. 5% body fat, 4.5 40, and an astounding 40” vertical. MLF will find a way to use him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Unfortunately Martin will most likely receive a lot of playing time mostly because of a lack of talent at inside linebacker, not because he's ready to perform at a high level.

There’s an outside chance Dillon would’ve been there by our #72 move up and still had Deguara at his original #94.

In my opinion it's pretty likely Dillon would have still been available at #72, or #94 for that matter.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately Martin will most likely receive a lot of playing time mostly because of a lack of talent at inside linebacker, not because he's ready to perform at a high level.

In my opinion it's pretty likely Dillon would have still been available at #72, or #94 for that matter.
I thought the same thing initially. But looking at his combine results (a 40” vertical would be hard for a WR) I’ve come to accept that Dillon would not have been there in round 3. A 250 pound bulldozer with a 4.5 40 and 5% body fat is not likely to have survived round three, or at least when GB picked. IMO, he’s the best player from this draft.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
V

Very nicely done Ty! My only change, I’d take Epenesa in round 1. Can’t believe he fell that far. I do like Pittman, but feel Epenesa provides more immediate help for the porous run D.

There are gonna be a lot of teams regretting the fall of Epenesa I believe.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he’s going to be a good football player, wouldn’t have minded him at all

D

Deleted member 6794

But looking at his combine results (a 40” vertical would be hard for a WR) I’ve come to accept that Dillon would not have been there in round 3. A 250 pound bulldozer with a 4.5 40 and 5% body fat is not likely to have survived round three, or at least when GB picked. IMO, he’s the best player from this draft.

There's no doubt Dillon is a great athlete but I'm not convinced he's an elite football player as well.

There's no way of proving either way if he would have been available at a later pick for the Packers.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt Dillon is a great athlete but I'm not convinced he's an elite football player as well.

There's no way of proving either way if he would have been available at a later pick for the Packers.
Agreed on both. Gluten took a calculated risk taking him in round 2. And yes, he has to show he's elite through his performance v NFL opponents. I doubt he gets there in year 1, maybe if Jones walks next year. Hard to tell with RBs. Probably no one would have expected Jones to become an elite back. IMO, Dillon and Runyan were the only good picks in a dismal draft.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. That’s incredible value for a guy I had picked to go in the 20s.

I remember setting there freaking out wondering if he was SOMEHOW going to make it to our 2nd round spot....was baffled honestly.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember setting there freaking out wondering if he was SOMEHOW going to make it to our 2nd round spot....was baffled honestly.
Same here. I like Dillon a lot. But in “win now” Mose, Epenesa was the right pick.

Members online

Latest posts