2020 as it fell....

Reaction score
Unfortunately Martin will most likely receive a lot of playing time mostly because of a lack of talent at inside linebacker, not because he's ready to perform at a high level.
You’re probably right there. I will say that Martin knows how to make his 240lb+ (combine was 245lb) count when it comes to laying out a ball carrier. He has a bit of violence in his hits that we’ve been missing.
I’ve read he’s initially at best a 2-down back, but if he’s paired with Kirksey that will cover some deficiencies. I’m just ready for some new blood at LB. I’m fine with a learning curve if he has what it takes.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed on both. Gluten took a calculated risk taking him in round 2. And yes, he has to show he's elite through his performance v NFL opponents. I doubt he gets there in year 1, maybe if Jones walks next year. Hard to tell with RBs. Probably no one would have expected Jones to become an elite back. IMO, Dillon and Runyan were the only good picks in a dismal draft.

In my opinion the Packers should have used next year's draft to replace Jobesand Williams if both walk away in free agency. There was no need to spend a second rounder on the position this year.

I like Dillon a lot. But in “win now” Mose, Epenesa was the right pick.

This year's draft seems to indicate there's no win now mode within the front office.

I’ve read he’s initially at best a 2-down back, but if he’s paired with Kirksey that will cover some deficiencies. I’m just ready for some new blood at LB. I’m fine with a learning curve if he has what it takes.

I don't expect a fifth rounder to have an immediate impact either. That's why Gutekunst should have used the team's early rounders on positions of actual need.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You’re probably right there. I will say that Martin knows how to make his 240lb+ (combine was 245lb) count when it comes to laying out a ball carrier. He has a bit of violence in his hits that we’ve been missing.
Yeah it will be interesting if/how that ILB group steps up this year. Almost all new players so we’ll see. Interesting that Dillon is a few lbs bigger than Martin.......

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect a fifth rounder to have an immediate impact either. That's why Gutekunst should have used the team's early rounders on positions of actual need.

While I personal feel Martin has more to offer long term than Blake, I would be ecstatic if he produces similar numbers to Blake's rookie campaign - which honestly for a rookie was pretty solid. Martin will get his chance, along with Summers and ILB is a position I hold my three favorite UDFA's to make the roster at.

Krys Barnes - ILB from UCLA....flashes make one very excited about him being a steal in UDFA.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I personal feel Martin has more to offer long term than Blake, I would be ecstatic if he produces similar numbers to Blake's rookie campaign - which honestly for a rookie was pretty solid. Martin will get his chance, along with Summers and ILB is a position I hold my three favorite UDFA's to make the roster at.

Krys Barnes - ILB from UCLA....flashes make one very excited about him being a steal in UDFA.

Martinez put up impressive numbers over his entire career with the Packers resulting in the Giants overpaying for him. Just like AJ Hawk he hardly had any impact plays though. Well, at least the team didn't use the fifth overall pick on him.

There's definitely a chance for either a late round pick or an undrafted free agent to have an impact at inside linebacker this season. Hopefully one of them will be able to step up.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty risky.

yeah, i would not want to go into the draft thinking "crap, i have no rbs, i absolutely have to take probably at least 2 of them"
and similar to the Love pick, if you see a guy that you think is THE guy, you have to take him then and there cos he's not gonna be there next year

Reaction score
yeah, i would not want to go into the draft thinking "crap, i have no rbs, i absolutely have to take probably at least 2 of them"
and similar to the Love pick, if you see a guy that you think is THE guy, you have to take him then and there cos he's not gonna be there next year
In addition, we know MLF values the RB position and that’s makes what you said even weightier.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Good call Tynimiller.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good call Tynimiller.

Appreciate it, Barnes was a guy I had pegged as a no doubter on Day 3 of the draft late...was pleasantly shocked he wasn't and that we nabbed him. Lunch pail type guy with a little of an unknown ceiling. Liking what we got so far from him no doubt.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many, likely most, originally and instantly agreed that Gute blew the draft with the trade up for Love, and his consequent over-drafting of those that followed assured such feelings. Those who are now finding agreement with Gute are doing so out of loyalty to the franchise (likely denied), especially since being drafted, not one player has been seen in action, less any self produced video or auto-scripted write-ups to help in the indoctrination to accepting that all done by the FO is done well always.

It's like they're already in the Packers HOF and whatever they don't do on the field will not matter, and yet in the same breath, we again need to wait for 3 years to justify such thinking, while also creating the excuse list for each one's failure, when applicable to reveal.

Trading up or drafting a player a round or two earlier than projected should eliminate much of that 3-year waiting period because you felt that player to be under-valued by other teams. If those players cannot perform quicker, than either the player was valued correctly by all the others or your scouting needs improvement or a total overhaul.

I didn't like the draft, but don't confuse that with not liking the players. The only way that mindset changes is by what they do and how quick they get to do it. If GB drafted for the future, fine, but doing so has more likely killed the now, and for those who believe this team was a real 13-3 record and a true one game away SB participant, you shouldn't be happy or find yourself agreeing via loyalty, you should be extremely upset that the decade waiting for the next, fail to see the bulldozer dumping dirt on top of it.

I hope the bulldozer can be halted, but the increase in play level for so many, doesn't make it seem likely.
Agreed. I like the way they're playing now. What happens next year when they see an exodus at either RB (Jones) or CB (King). This makes the last atrocity of the draft even harder too take.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Appreciate it, Barnes was a guy I had pegged as a no doubter on Day 3 of the draft late...was pleasantly shocked he wasn't and that we nabbed him. Lunch pail type guy with a little of an unknown ceiling. Liking what we got so far from him no doubt.
I didn't see Barnes coming. What I really like, aside from the athleticism, is the smarts. He's sniffing out plays and putting himself in a position to succeed. We're early in the season, but I like whet I see from Barnes.

Kirksey? He's been disappointing. Again, the season is young.. I just want to see more from the D, because great offenses don't win championships. They get all the pressure when they need to score AT LEAST 30 to 40 points to win a game. Not a long-term plan for success. We'll see if Petting gets that he's on the hot seat and actually tries coaching to close the weaknesses.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m on the record as saying I was clearly surprised at the move for Love. No anger or disappointment here. The 2nd and 3rd round picks just confirmed my suspicions that the offensive look and schemes were clearly in the process of changing. The Love and Dillon picks also confirmed to me that the Gutekunst draft philosophy was going to be more similar to Thompson’s than Wolf’s. This should not be at all surprising to anyone given Gutekunst’s employment history.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m on the record as saying I was clearly surprised at the move for Love. No anger or disappointment here. The 2nd and 3rd round picks just confirmed my suspicions that the offensive look and schemes were clearly in the process of changing. The Love and Dillon picks also confirmed to me that the Gutekunst draft philosophy was going to be more similar to Thompson’s than Wolf’s. This should not be at all surprising to anyone given Gutekunst’s employment history.

Don't dislike love, dillon, or Deguara...just think they were all over drafted.

In fanspeak mocks when Love fell to 30, I took him because if he falls in your lap you kinda have to say ok we can't pass on what in our situation has good potential to be 3 in a row.

And I'm convinced he would of been there at 30 still...there's not a lot of teams that have the luxury of taking a qb in first round and having him sit behind a future hall of famer for 3 or 4 years which is what Rodgers needed and what love needs.

Dillon almost certainly would of been around in the 3rd, there's not many teams that are fans of backs that big. Same goes for Deguara he's kind of a scheme niche player too. im also very confident hed have been around at least a round later if not more

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a very good point. I don't know if it was TT or Wolf who drafted QB Aaron Brooks years ago ( I think it was Wolf, no matter). He proved to be a good QB and was traded to the Saints. I still don't like the 1st round pick this year. It looks like Rodgers has a few years left in him, maybe more than a few. So why trade up to grab an average QB? Oh well, it's done.

And yeah, the 2nd and 3rd round picks are consistent with the MLF scheme. Run a lot, and have a guy who either is a FB or can play FB, and they got that with Josh D. Anyway, thanks for the reminder Pike.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't dislike love, dillon, or Deguara...just think they were all over drafted.

In fanspeak mocks when Love fell to 30, I took him because if he falls in your lap you kinda have to say ok we can't pass on what in our situation has good potential to be 3 in a row.

And I'm convinced he would of been there at 30 still...there's not a lot of teams that have the luxury of taking a qb in first round and having him sit behind a future hall of famer for 3 or 4 years which is what Rodgers needed and what love needs.

Dillon almost certainly would of been around in the 3rd, there's not many teams that are fans of backs that big. Same goes for Deguara he's kind of a scheme niche player too. im also very confident hed have been around at least a round later if not more
Of course, this is all pure speculation on whether Love, Dillon and Deguara as none of us have access to any of the team draft boards and have no way of knowing if other teams had strong interest or would have traded up ahead of us take Love or Dillon. One thing I’m pretty certain of is that teams do not sculpt there draft board by ranking players according to keyboard warriors mock drafts. That’s what scouts are for and they are much more capable and knowledgeable than the keyboard warriors in the media.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a very good point. I don't know if it was TT or Wolf who drafted QB Aaron Brooks years ago ( I think it was Wolf, no matter). He proved to be a good QB and was traded to the Saints. I still don't like the 1st round pick this year. It looks like Rodgers has a few years left in him, maybe more than a few. So why trade up to grab an average QB? Oh well, it's done.

And yeah, the 2nd and 3rd round picks are consistent with the MLF scheme. Run a lot, and have a guy who either is a FB or can play FB, and they got that with Josh D. Anyway, thanks for the reminder Pike.
It was Wolf and he also drafted Mark Brunell and I think Matt Hasselback. And maybe Ty Detmer?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was Wolf and he also drafted Mark Brunell and I think Matt Hasselback. And maybe Ty Detmer?
You're correct Pike, thanks for the reminder. Brooks went on to start for the Saints. Hasselback of course went to the Seahags. I don't remember where Brunell and Detmer went, but I think they both started. Wolf knew how to draft. What did we get? Brett Hundley. Is he still playing? Last I remember he was a backup for Russ Wilson.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, this is all pure speculation on whether Love, Dillon and Deguara as none of us have access to any of the team draft boards and have no way of knowing if other teams had strong interest or would have traded up ahead of us take Love or Dillon. One thing I’m pretty certain of is that teams do not sculpt there draft board by ranking players according to keyboard warriors mock drafts. That’s what scouts are for and they are much more capable and knowledgeable than the keyboard warriors in the media.
You're correct again Pike, well mostly. I don't think Dillon gets out of round 2. Deguara looks like a 4th round pick, at best, most likely fifth. And I agree that draft boards are just that, they rank players. BPA is a myth. Teams draft for need. Which is why I was confused when Gluten took Gary at #12. A #12 pick should start. That said Gary is coming into his own. He had a great week against the Lions. And you can never have enough rushers. Between the Smiths, Gary, and Clark, opposing Ds have no idea where the rush is coming from, or if it's coming at all.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol..... Mostly correct?? Mostly correct?!?!

BPA, value pick, whatever you want to call it is imo, most definitely not a myth.

I have no way of proving it but I think Love, Gary and Alexander were all positioned higher on the Packers draft board than the spot they were picked.

side note: I’d pay $1000 to be able to sit in the Packers war room on draft weekend if I was able to take pictures and video. I’d even sign a non-disclosure agreement. Man! Talk about eating from the tree of knowledge!!!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol..... Mostly correct?? Mostly correct?!?!

BPA, value pick, whatever you want to call it is imo, most definitely not a myth.

I have no way of proving it but I think Love, Gary and Alexander were all positioned higher on the Packers draft board than the spot they were picked.

side note: I’d pay $1000 to be able to sit in the Packers war room on draft weekend if I was able to take pictures and video. I’d even sign a non-disclosure agreement. Man! Talk about eating from the tree of knowledge!!!
Sorry Pike, I think Dillon was a legitimate RD 2 pick.

As far as BPA, yeah I think that is true with Gary. Not so sure about Love, and just don't know enough to comment on Alexander. But I tend to believe you, and when has GB not needed a quality corner?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You're correct Pike, thanks for the reminder. Brooks went on to start for the Saints. Hasselback of course went to the Seahags. I don't remember where Brunell and Detmer went, but I think they both started. Wolf knew how to draft. What did we get? Brett Hundley. Is he still playing? Last I remember he was a backup for Russ Wilson.
Burnell went to Jax, didn’t really well and took to afccg I believe. Pack had to play them one year down there while he was qb?

ty went to philly for a while

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burnell went to Jax, didn’t really well and took to afccg I believe. Pack had to play them one year down there while he was qb?

ty went to philly for a while
Thanks for the history longtime. I do remember Ty going to Philly now. And I remember Brunell going to Jax. Out of the two, I seem to recall Brunell doing better. But neither of them we're exactly HOF material. Still, Wolf knew how to draft. I still miss him.