2019 NFL Draft Prospects

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's never too early, right?? Please forgive me, I'm a draft degenerate who's already excited for next year.

So it looks like next year will have some top heavy talent at Edge, iDL, OT, and a couple good-decent TE's. Hmmm...boy, that's not like this year, and almost like we have weaknesses at a lot of those positions! I hope some of you realize that picking up another 1st for 2019 was a brilliant stroke of forward thinking for more than one reason. These guys scout years in advance...they know. Anyways, some players I like, or at least have heard of.

Edge:

Joe Jackson - Miami: Followed this kid since he was a freshman. Long, long arms, lean athletic kid. 6'6 250 I think. He's a stud. This is a great edge class so he might slip to us. Watch for his teammate Jon Garvin in 2020. Garvin toasted Mike McGlinchley (#9 pick) as a true freshman on a speed rush last year.

Clelin Ferrell - Clemson: Would've been a sure fire 1st round pick this year. Clemson's DL has 4 potential first round picks! They're a championship contender.

Austin Bryant - Clemson: not as good as Ferrell, but good. Don't know much.

Nick Bosa - Ohio State: Potentially better than his brother Joey...which is saying something.

Brian Burns - Florida State: He's undersized (220) but FSU used him as their pass rusher over Josh Sweat. He's good. Needs to put on weight.

iDL:

Christian Wilkins - Clemson: Would've been a first round pick. Better than Vita Vea.

Rashaan Gary - Michigan: he's a freak.

Ed Oliver - Houston: another freak. Great, great, great DL class.

I know I'm missing some guys, but I can't remember who. For sure another Clemson guy who's name is slipping my mind at the moment.

TE: Noah Fant - Iowa: Literally the only guy I know. Had 11 TD's last year on 30+ catches.

WR:

AJ Brown - Ole Miss (I think): Supposed to be good. Never seen him.

Ahmonn Richards - Miami: Really good. Amari Cooper type.

OT:

Trey Young - Washington: Supposed to be good. Got hurt last year.

I know there's a guy from Wisconsin. Can't remember who. Help!

CB:

Greedy Williams - LSU: Great name, good game.

Michael Jackson - Miami: Good size, speed, and play.

ILB:

Shaq Quaterman - Miami: Started since he was a freshman. Good in all facets of the game. A little too short, maybe. True leader. Better than Martinez for sure.

Possibly all time great DL class. Draft seems to line up well with out weaknesses. I know there's a lot more guys I didn't mention, so help me out here!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For me, I'm going to want to focus my time on watching pass rushers. The following, some of whom Janis already named, are the guys I'll focus on first:
  • Nick Bosa, Ohio State
  • Clelin Ferrell, Clemson
  • Joe Jackson, Miami
  • Rashaan Gary, Michigan
  • Austin Bryant, Clemson
  • Montez Sweat, Mississippi State
  • Josh Allen, Kentucky
  • D'Andre Walker, Georgia
  • Zach Allen, Boston College
  • Shareef Miller, Penn State
  • Anfernee Jennings, Alabama
  • Chase Winovich, Michigan
  • Carl Granderson, Wyoming

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
OT:

Trey Young - Washington: Supposed to be good. Got hurt last year.

I know there's a guy from Wisconsin. Can't remember who. Help!

The Badgers have 3 players on the OL that are projected to be possible first rounders.

David Edwards (T)
Beau Benzschawel (G)
Michael Deiter (T)

The Badgers are literally stacked on the OL. For an idea as to how talented Wisconsin’s offensive line will be, consider that guard Micah Kapoi is a senior who has played in 34 career games with 14 starts. He could be the eighth- or ninth-best lineman in the group.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Badgers have 3 players on the OL that are projected to be possible first rounders.

David Edwards (T)
Beau Benzschawel (G)
Michael Deiter (T)

The Badgers are literally stacked on the OL. For an idea as to how talented Wisconsin’s offensive line will be, consider that guard Micah Kapoi is a senior who has played in 34 career games with 14 starts. He could be the eighth- or ninth-best lineman in the group.

This is often the case and illustrates the reason behind my point of contention some time ago that Wisconsin RB production needs to be taken well salted.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is often the case and illustrates the reason behind my point of contention some time ago that Wisconsin RB production needs to be taken well salted.
LOL, without getting into a back and forth on ex Badger RB's again, I will say "yes, there is some truth to that, but still don't discount what those backs can/could do on their own". Without naming names, 2 of Wisconsin's most prominent RB's in the last 20 years faltered in the NFL, not because they weren't talented, but they didn't adjust to life in the NFL very well. Just keep and eye on my man Jonathan Taylor, last year as a freshman he was 23 yds. shy of 2000 yards and 6th in the Heisman voting. #OnWisconsin.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
LOL, without getting into a back and forth on ex Badger RB's again, I will say "yes, there is some truth to that, but still don't discount what those backs can/could do on their own". Without naming names, 2 of Wisconsin's most prominent RB's in the last 20 years faltered in the NFL, not because they weren't talented, but they didn't adjust to life in the NFL very well. Just keep and eye on my man Jonathan Taylor, last year as a freshman he was 23 yds. shy of 2000 yards and 6th in the Heisman voting. #OnWisconsin.

Well played. I wondered if you would take the bait. You know what I think of Badger backs. I’ll watch Taylor at some point.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well played. I wondered if you would take the bait. You know what I think of Badger backs. I’ll watch Taylor at some point.
I admittedly have been a bit high on Badger RB's at times, but I think Taylor is the real deal. He will be a true Sophomore, so I believe he has to stay at least through the 2019 season, if he stays healthy and yes with the help of that Badger OL, he is going to break some records.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll admit ive not watched the dude play one down. But looking at those stats and taking into account whats been said about the o line I'd be a bit concerned that he averaged only 4.53 yards a carry that's not very good at all for college. NFL yeah and he's playing with an NFL line. Also if I were him I would not want to carry the ball 299 times again too much wear before you're getting paid could lose a lot of money if you figure your body only has so many touches in it as a running back

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'll admit ive not watched the dude play one down. But looking at those stats and taking into account whats been said about the o line I'd be a bit concerned that he averaged only 4.53 yards a carry that's not very good at all for college. NFL yeah and he's playing with an NFL line. Also if I were him I would not want to carry the ball 299 times again too much wear before you're getting paid could lose a lot of money if you figure your body only has so many touches in it as a running back
Interesting part about that 4.53 number, I have no clue where they got it from. If you do the math yourself or look up his stats on any other website, its a 6.6 yds/ave.

299 carries is quite a few, but also shows he can be a workhorse. Saquon Barkley played in one less game and had 217 attempts and a 5.9 average.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting part about that 4.53 number, I have no clue where they got it from. If you do the math yourself or look up his stats on any other website, its a 6.6 yds/ave.

299 carries is quite a few, but also shows he can be a workhorse. Saquon Barkley played in one less game and had 217 attempts and a 5.9 average.

Ok I'm on the band wagon 6.6 is nice. But still if I were him I'd wait to be a work horse again til I'm getting paid RB careers are too short

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ok I'm on the band wagon 6.6 is nice. But still if I were him I'd wait to be a work horse again til I'm getting paid RB careers are too short
I figured it out, the 4.53 number is "yards/carry after contact". Barkley was at 3.45 in this category.

Yup, 6.6 on THAT many carries is hard to find. The Badgers were slowly working him into the passing game during the season, I see that level of his game improving as well. Again, I don't want to stir Dantés up too much, but I think Taylor is legit. :coffee:

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw college football show late in the season last year on who was the best RB in the big 10. First guy said Barkly but that Taylor was a very close 2nd. Said only Barkleys better receiving experience put him ahead of Taylor. Said Taylor was well ahead of Barkley at this stage of his career. Said he ran with amazing maturity and vision for such a young player. But the offensive line for Wisconsin is likewise amazing and it sure helps. His junior year will telling when he loses a bunch of these guys. As far as this coming season? If he stays healthy this season, I think he sets some new records.

He was only a few yards from the all time freshman record.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Saw college football show late in the season last year on who was the best RB in the big 10. First guy said Barkly but that Taylor was a very close 2nd. Said only Barkleys better receiving experience put him ahead of Taylor. Said Taylor was well ahead of Barkley at this stage of his career. Said he ran with amazing maturity and vision for such a young player. But the offensive line for Wisconsin is likewise amazing and it sure helps. His junior year will telling when he loses a bunch of these guys. As far as this coming season? If he stays healthy this season, I think he sets some new records.

He was only a few yards from the all time freshman record.

Totally agree with all your post, but the last sentence ;) Taylor actually DID set the record for yards gained by a Freshman. He passed Adrian Peterson's 2004 mark of 1925 yds. :)

If Taylor stays healthy, I really think the sky's the limit. During Spring practice this year, Taylor was working quite a bit on route running. So although the Badgers have a lot of weapons at WR, I think we are going to see Taylor catching more passes. Get him into an open field, watch out. Taylor ran a verified 40 in 4.42 seconds. At this years combine, that would have been the 3rd fastest by a RB, Barkley was second at 4.40.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Taylor: Imo, he’s got good functional speed to get into and through the second level. His greatest attribute in my opinion is his seemingly effortless ability to run through leg tackles while hardly slowing down. I don’t know if he’ll break any Badger rushing records or not because Dayne, Gordon and Ball have set really high bars, but I believe Taylor could be legitimately a top 3 RB prospect in his draft class. He definitely needs to improve his ball security.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Taylor: Imo, he’s got good functional speed to get into and through the second level. His greatest attribute in my opinion is his seemingly effortless ability to run through leg tackles while hardly slowing down. I don’t know if he’ll break any Badger rushing records or not because Dayne, Gordon and Ball have set really high bars, but I believe Taylor could be legitimately a top 3 RB prospect in his draft class. He definitely needs to improve his ball security.
Will depend on how long Taylor is around. Dayne, Gordon and Ball were all 4 year players. Probably the toughest record to break will be Ball's 77 career rushing TD's, but 13 isn't a bad start as a freshman, Ball only had 4. You are correct on his ball security. 8 fumbles, with 6 lost would be the black mark on his Freshman year. At least ball security is something that can be taught. That is one thing that really impressed me with Saquon Barkley, in his 3 years at Penn State, only 4 fumbles with 3 lost.

Members online

Latest posts