2018 Week 1: It's Bear hunting season already.

H

HardRightEdge

You can't keep just two RBs on the roster then decide to be a ball control running team.
Sure you can if neither gets injured. 16 runs apiece gets you to about 50% of the league average snaps. Regardless, the Packers won't be doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Rodgers isn’t going to change who he is. We’ll get at least a couple of those types of plays a game at least. He just needs to be smart about when and how. Pick his spots.
2016, 2nd. half against Dallas, and the throughout the following game against the Bears: Those 3 halves were chockablock with short ball control throws.

In those 2 games, Montgomery had 19 catches for 158 yards; Cobb had 12 catches for 74 yards, to give some indication.

This was at the tail end of the "What's wrong with Rodgers", "Rodgers has lost it" howling. I think they went to this approach to reestablish timing. That didn't last long, except it's not unusual to see it on scripted opening, "metriculating the ball down the field", to borrow a phrase from Hank Stram.

Might we see that on the opening drive? That's an even bet. A staple of the offense? Doubtful. Should the Packers go to more often? I believe so. Will they? Doubtful.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today's the day, season opener tonight, I'm getting excited!

By the way, I haven't seen this discussed here, so maybe some haven't seen these reports: That several Packer players had the impression that they were going to be getting Kahlil Mack, before finding out the Bears had traded for him. I hope that any disappointment isn't disheartening enough to affect the team's attitude. I wasn't calling for the trade to happen, but I couldn't help but thinking that if it did happen there would be similarities to Reggie White signing here (not saying Mack is as good as Reggie, of course). Some of the players were probably relieved that they got to keep their job in GB.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/05/randall-cobb-thought-packers-were-getting-khalil-mack/

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched a breakdown of some GB vs. Chicago tape, and the play design is just awful on some of our plays. There was a play where Nelson, Cobb, and Bennet were within a 5 yard radius of one another, and there were about 5 defenders in the same area. Good modern OCs use route distributions to free up the others in coverage, not make it easier on the defense by bunching them up. I'd love to see Rodgers with a real OC, which unfortunately won't be seen because he'll save McCarthy once again.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like the short passing game strategy, but I worry sometimes that Rodgers doesn't. He seems to like trying to escape defenders to try and chuck it deep as of late. Just hope he's conscious of his health in that tomorrow.

The Packers passing offense struggled in 2015 and early in '16 before implementing more short throws. While it seems Rodgers isn't fond of it the team might be smart to use it to set up big plays.

I watched a breakdown of some GB vs. Chicago tape, and the play design is just awful on some of our plays. There was a play where Nelson, Cobb, and Bennet were within a 5 yard radius of one another, and there were about 5 defenders in the same area. Good modern OCs use route distributions to free up the others in coverage, not make it easier on the defense by bunching them up. I'd love to see Rodgers with a real OC, which unfortunately won't be seen because he'll save McCarthy once again.

Bunch formations work at the pro level though when used in appropriate situations. Your criticism of McCarthy and his play calling is getting tired, especially considering the Packers have fielded one of the best offenses in the league over his tenure.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Adam Schefter the snap count of both Khalil Mack and Roquan Smith will be limited to a maximum of 20-30 for tonight's game.

H

HardRightEdge

According to Adam Schefter the snap count of both Khalil Mack and Roquan Smith will be limited to a maximum of 20-30 for tonight's game.
The Journel Sentinal, under a "Packer News" byline, also reports both on limited snap counts. Smith tweeked a hamstring after his two week holdout and is reportedly still not 100%.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2pm tee time and game is at 4:20 here so I’m hoping we have it well in hand by the time I get off the course!!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today's the day, season opener tonight, I'm getting excited!

By the way, I haven't seen this discussed here, so maybe some haven't seen these reports: That several Packer players had the impression that they were going to be getting Kahlil Mack, before finding out the Bears had traded for him. I hope that any disappointment isn't disheartening enough to affect the team's attitude. I wasn't calling for the trade to happen, but I couldn't help but thinking that if it did happen there would be similarities to Reggie White signing here (not saying Mack is as good as Reggie, of course). Some of the players were probably relieved that they got to keep their job in GB.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/05/randall-cobb-thought-packers-were-getting-khalil-mack/

Just goes to show that players are human as well and they fall for the same media hype that the fans do. I'm sure they were not privy to any inside information that would make them think we were getting Mack.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers passing offense struggled in 2015 and early in '16 before implementing more short throws. While it seems Rodgers isn't fond of it the team might be smart to use it to set up big plays.

Bunch formations work at the pro level though when used in appropriate situations. Your criticism of McCarthy and his play calling is getting tired, especially considering the Packers have fielded one of the best offenses in the league over his tenure.
Our play design looks like a complete joke compared to Chicago. Get real.

txj

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't seem to stop anything and anyone....Is this for real?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Care to comment? This team and coach are bad