2018 Week 1: It's Bear hunting season already.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
can’t wait to see Pettine unleash this new D on the baby Bear cubs.
^^^^
THIS

In Pettine's four years with the Jets their defense was ranked 1st, 3rd, 5th and 8th. The man is a GREAT DC and I believe he's got some surprises for the Bears that will do one of two things:

1. Make this a defensive heavy game with low scoring.

2. Shut down the Bears offense while the Pack's excels.

Jimmy Graham will be the weapon of choice against the Mack Attack, with a blocking TE (Tonyn maybe) or RB added for good measure.

We got this.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only concern is that Rodgers often times goes for the 'big' play and doesn't utilize what's in front of him. Hopefully with his new TE toys he will play differently.
The Bears already had a good pass rushing team. They just added another piece. I'm have a feeling Philbin and MM with take that into consideration along with just what we have for weapons. Our strength is going to be our balance. 1, 2, 3 TE's, run, short pass, swing pass, check down and play action when it's ready.

With the offensive line not being together much this preseason and Bulaga just coming back from an ACL injury, I don't envision drop back and look for the 20+ yard play every time. But maybe this offensive line is that ready. :)

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
why wouldn't we take the Mercedes out for a spin if we're looking for a blocking TE? He's the best in the business
I wouldn't mind some double TE sets with Graham on one side and Lewis on the side that Mack is on. Negate his effectiveness as much as possible.

Try establishing the run and then it will also open up some quick strike play action throws. Allow Rodgers to roll one way or the other to where he can make a decision with the ball before a defender gets close enough to him to create a Barr situation.

The combination of ball control and an improved defense will help tremendously.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind some double TE sets with Graham on one side and Lewis on the side that Mack is on. Negate his effectiveness as much as possible.

Try establishing the run and then it will also open up some quick strike play action throws. Allow Rodgers to roll one way or the other to where he can make a decision with the ball before a defender gets close enough to him to create a Barr situation.

The combination of ball control and an improved defense will help tremendously.
You can't keep just two RBs on the roster then decide to be a ball control running team.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You can't keep just two RBs on the roster then decide to be a ball control running team.
By ball control I'm insinuating some run obviously, but I'm not suggesting AR only drop back 25 times either. I'm insinuating more short passes, screen passes, dump passes, slant patterns, etc. Small yardage gains to eat up the clock. The biggest advantage, at least in this game, is to utilize formations that give Bulaga or Bakh some help if needed with Khalil Mack. Also with the quick passes (something akin to the New England philosophy) would help to negate whatever pass rush the Bears would try to generate on Rodgers.

As a side note, picking up Darius Jackson from the Cowboys practice squad on Monday gives us 3 RBs on the 53 man roster.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Bold Prediction, Offense Part II: Davante Adams has more receiving yards than the entire Chicago WR corps.

Bold Prediction, Defense Part II: Blake Martinez tops his 2017 sack total in this one game.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
If this was a road game I might be concerned, but since it's at home I'm not. I think the Packers will be looking to make a statement.

I agree that they're looking to make a statement. I hope that statement begins and ends at the line of scrimmage. If #75 or #69 limp off the field, IT will be starting all over again. 12 can't do a whole lot if the fat guys aren't showing up or aren't available.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we can trade for Le'Veon Bell. :)

He would be cheaper than Mack. He only wants 17 million a year.:) It probably wouldn't cost 2 first rounders either since Pittsburgh is only going to get 7 games out of him this year and then lose him next year.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
17 Mil for a RB, Yesh. Le'Veon needs to return to Planet Earth.

Its not 17 mil for just any RB its for the best RB in the league. I'm not saying he is worth it but that is the argument. Heck even his agent seems to think 17 mill for the RB position is a bit much but he is saying with a guy like Bell you are not paying for the position you are paying for the player and I can understand that to a point. On the other hand with Bell specifically there are other circumstances to consider. Although he has appeared to stay clean there is the suspension threat if he slips. There is an injury issue as well.

I think people severely underestimate what a guy like Bell brings to the table. I also think they severely overestimate the chances of getting someone like that late in the draft (Day 3) yes it can happen but I don't think its as common as some fans want to believe. For a player of that caliber however and I will say guys like Gurley, Johnson, maybe Zeke or even Hunt or Fournette (we shall see) you are not just getting RBs who carry the ball 15-20 times a game and maybe catch a pass or two and occasionally break a long one. You are getting guys that can take over a game in both the running and short passing games. Steelers fans who are saying "we don't need Bell we have Conner" are just fooling themselves. James Conner is not Le'Veon Bell and if the Steelers fall just short this year it will be a perfectly legitimate question to ask "should we have paid Bell?"

Maybe its just my love of the running game that is tarnishing my viewpoint. IMO a running play of anything over 10 yards is more exciting than a pass play of the same distance 90% of the time if you look specifically at the play and the result and take the actual catch out of it (there are some spectacular catches that result in very few yards gained.) under 10 it may be a toss up.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The experts think the Bears can score at least 23 points on us. Time for Pettine to live up to the hype.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The experts think the Bears can score at least 23 points on us. Time for Pettine to live up to the hype.

The "experts" are also acting like Mack has made them the reincarnation of the 01 Ravens and 85 Bears defenses combined.

If their offense puts up 23 it means the Packers put up 30 quickly and started coasting

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not 17 mil for just any RB its for the best RB in the league. I'm not saying he is worth it but that is the argument. Heck even his agent seems to think 17 mill for the RB position is a bit much but he is saying with a guy like Bell you are not paying for the position you are paying for the player and I can understand that to a point. On the other hand with Bell specifically there are other circumstances to consider. Although he has appeared to stay clean there is the suspension threat if he slips. There is an injury issue as well.

I think people severely underestimate what a guy like Bell brings to the table. I also think they severely overestimate the chances of getting someone like that late in the draft (Day 3) yes it can happen but I don't think its as common as some fans want to believe. For a player of that caliber however and I will say guys like Gurley, Johnson, maybe Zeke or even Hunt or Fournette (we shall see) you are not just getting RBs who carry the ball 15-20 times a game and maybe catch a pass or two and occasionally break a long one. You are getting guys that can take over a game in both the running and short passing games. Steelers fans who are saying "we don't need Bell we have Conner" are just fooling themselves. James Conner is not Le'Veon Bell and if the Steelers fall just short this year it will be a perfectly legitimate question to ask "should we have paid Bell?"

Maybe its just my love of the running game that is tarnishing my viewpoint. IMO a running play of anything over 10 yards is more exciting than a pass play of the same distance 90% of the time if you look specifically at the play and the result and take the actual catch out of it (there are some spectacular catches that result in very few yards gained.) under 10 it may be a toss up.

Oh I think Bell is awesome alright, but something like $14-15 mil per year is more reasonable. If the Packers' traded for Bell and signed him for that, I'd have no complaints at all.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Oh I think Bell is awesome alright, but something like $14-15 mil per year is more reasonable. If the Packers' traded for Bell and signed him for that, I'd have no complaints at all.
This offense would be stupid scary with Le'Veon Bell in the backfield.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
We'll see how long this good health lasts.....

Oren Burks (shoulder) and James Crawford (hamstring) listed as questionable after being limited participants in practice this week. Josh Jones (ankle) has been ruled out.

Gonna have some healthy scratches this week.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the short passing game strategy, but I worry sometimes that Rodgers doesn't. He seems to like trying to escape defenders to try and chuck it deep as of late. Just hope he's conscious of his health in that tomorrow.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I like the short passing game strategy, but I worry sometimes that Rodgers doesn't. He seems to like trying to escape defenders to try and chuck it deep as of late. Just hope he's conscious of his health in that tomorrow.
Rodgers isn’t going to change who he is. We’ll get at least a couple of those types of plays a game at least. He just needs to be smart about when and how. Pick his spots.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers isn’t going to change who he is. We’ll get at least a couple of those types of plays a game at least. He just needs to be smart about when and how. Pick his spots.

Yes, it's just after being without him last year when he went down, I suspect me and several other fans might get a little nervous any time this happens tomorrow.