2018 Salary Cap Analysis

D

Deleted member 6794

It's always best not to create turnover in the workplace in order to create a marginal or even trivial savings. We need to respect what Jordy and Cobb have done for us and offer them both deals that are in earshot with their previous contract but also factor in their age and recent reduction in production.

I appreciate what Nelson and Cobb have done for the Packers in the past but both of them are currently overpaid. I agree with Pokerbrat that the team should hold on to both but restructure their contracts.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'm still in that crowd if a trade would be the most sensible option. If trading him results in an improved defense, better overall team, and better cap situation, how could any Packers (not Rodgers) fan possibly be upset about going that route?
You just seem to have an anti-Rodgers history piling up. That's all.

He's the best complete package the QB position has ever seen. You don't trade him. There isn't a realistic package that comes close to equaling what he brings to the table. Any idea to the contrary is lunacy.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

He's the best complete package the QB position has ever seen. You don't trade him. There isn't a realistic package that comes close to equaling what he brings to the table. Any idea to the contrary is lunacy.
Well, if I were GM and Cleveland called offering a very handsome package of draft picks it would certainly give me pause to contemplate. There’s more than 1 way to skin a Super Bowl cat.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I appreciate what Nelson and Cobb have done for the Packers in the past but both of them are currently overpaid. I agree with Pokerbrat that the team should hold on to both but restructure their contracts.
There is no way that the packers can afford to keep both if they both decline to take a pay cut though. While I do not see this happening since they both bleed green and gold, if it ever comes to it, Nelson has got to be the first to go. I'd rather have a young and versatile Cobb in the slot than an aging Nelson.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, if I were GM and Cleveland called offering a very handsome package of draft picks it would certainly give me pause to contemplate. There’s more than 1 way to skin a Super Bowl cat.

While there are different ways to win a Super Bowl having an elite quarterback significantly increases a team's chances to achieve it. Therefore it would be a foolish move to trade Rodgers.

There is no way that the packers can afford to keep both if they both decline to take a pay cut though. While I do not see this happening since they both bleed green and gold, if it ever comes to it, Nelson has got to be the first to go. I'd rather have a young and versatile Cobb in the slot than an aging Nelson.

I guess Nelson would agree to restructure his contract if the Packers approached him about it. I'm not convinced about Cobb though.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey! Someone who gets it! I'll say it again...I'd rather be Jacksonville with an average quarterback and epic defense over Green Bay with a star quarterback and below average defense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey! Someone who gets it! I'll say it again...I'd rather be Jacksonville with an average quarterback and epic defense over Green Bay with a star quarterback and below average defense.
did I miss where the Jags actually made it to a Super Bowl? Ever?

D

Deleted member 6794

That is one of the most ridiculous posts I've read in a long time. Before this season the Jaguars hadn't made it to the playoff since 2007. :rolleyes:

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is one of the most ridiculous posts I've read in a long time. Before this season the Jaguars hadn't made it to the playoff since 2007. :rolleyes:
Who cares about playoffs if you don't hoist the trophy? The Packers and Jaguars have won the same amount of Super Bowls in the past 7 years. The Jaguars are trending upward because of their defense. Put Rodgers on that team and they are easy preseason Super Bowl favorites. Put Bortles on this Packers team and they win 6 games at best.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares about playoffs if you don't hoist the trophy? The Packers and Jaguars have won the same amount of Super Bowls in the past 7 years. The Jaguars are trending upward because of their defense. Put Rodgers on that team and they are easy preseason Super Bowl favorites. Put Bortles on this Packers team and they win 6 games at best.
This guy has zero ability to conceptualize the drastic differences in circumstances that have brought each team to their current states. So you have a homework assignment. You go and learn HOW and WHY the Jaguars have the players on defense they do. It has to do with skirting Cap rules, that's a hint. and why just 7 years? because if you go to 8 it they aren't the same anymore? If trophies are all that matter, then the Jags haven't won anything ever.

The Jags didn't lose Malik Jackson for a season. When Bouye misses a season or career for injury and they don't miss a beat, maybe I'll be impressed. The Jags are trending nowhwere, they still don't have anyone to move the ball for them. Did you not pay attention to the Vikes this year? They lost 2 guys for half a game, what did their defense become? Did you see what happened to the upward trending Broncos we should have been a few years ago ? LOL by the time they figure anything out their defense is gone and they'll have no offense either. Well, I think that may have already happened.

Rodgers isn't on the Jags because despite all their years of sucking ********, they never picked a good QB. And IF Rodgers were the QB, they wouldn't have the money, the draft capital an all the other situations that arose by them sucking so hard for so long to build that defense. Now kindly get a clue and realize why some things are the way they are. GB's defense needs to get better, that much is obvious. For a guy that thinks trophies are all that matter, you sure picked an odd horse to attach your wagon too, the Jags, at least MN has played in some Super Bowls, but the Jags? that case is empty man, empty

Reaction score
While I can appreciate the idealism in setting our sights high, the Packers have hands down been more successful over the course of the last 7 years than Jacksonville, even with GB's subpar Defense. There's a bit of irony in making these 2 statements back to back isn't there? Being favored in Preseason and actually owning the Lombardi are a far cry from one another and we of any fan base should recognize this. ;)
Who cares about playoffs if you don't hoist the trophy?
Put Rodgers on that team and they are easy preseason Super Bowl favorites.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While there are different ways to win a Super Bowl having an elite quarterback significantly increases a team's chances to achieve it. Therefore it would be a foolish move to trade Rodgers.
I doubt the Cleveland offer could be good enough to get me to pull the trigger because I don’t see a great franchise QB in this draft or headed for FA. But, they’ve got an arsenal of draft picks that I’d certainly find tempting if offered up.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy has zero ability to conceptualize the drastic differences in circumstances that have brought each team to their current states. So you have a homework assignment. You go and learn HOW and WHY the Jaguars have the players on defense they do. It has to do with skirting Cap rules, that's a hint. and why just 7 years? because if you go to 8 it they aren't the same anymore? If trophies are all that matter, then the Jags haven't won anything ever.

The Jags didn't lose Malik Jackson for a season. When Bouye misses a season or career for injury and they don't miss a beat, maybe I'll be impressed. The Jags are trending nowhwere, they still don't have anyone to move the ball for them. Did you not pay attention to the Vikes this year? They lost 2 guys for half a game, what did their defense become? Did you see what happened to the upward trending Broncos we should have been a few years ago ? LOL by the time they figure anything out their defense is gone and they'll have no offense either. Well, I think that may have already happened.

Rodgers isn't on the Jags because despite all their years of sucking ********, they never picked a good QB. And IF Rodgers were the QB, they wouldn't have the money, the draft capital an all the other situations that arose by them sucking so hard for so long to build that defense. Now kindly get a clue and realize why some things are the way they are. GB's defense needs to get better, that much is obvious. For a guy that thinks trophies are all that matter, you sure picked an odd horse to attach your wagon too, the Jags, at least MN has played in some Super Bowls, but the Jags? that case is empty man, empty
wish I could pin a double winner on this one.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Well, we could trade Rodgers to Cleveland for their #1 and #4 2018 picks plus additional considerations, sign Brees out of free agency to a 2 or 3 year contract, draft a couple of studs, trade some picks for some vet help, and roll on to the SB!

There's the formula for all the "win now" advocates! :coffee:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While I can appreciate the idealism in setting our sights high, the Packers have hands down been more successful over the course of the last 7 years than Jacksonville, even with GB's subpar Defense. There's a bit of irony in making these 2 statements back to back isn't there? Being favored in Preseason and actually owning the Lombardi are a far cry from one another and we of any fan base should recognize this. ;)
Agree. Jacksonville has been a train wreck for a long time. I’m actually happy for their fan base that they had a very successful season this year. I’d like to see Cleveland rise up next year and win 10-12 games. Their loyal fans have earned a good year.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It has been said that a team should roll a minimum of 5M from year to year to cover replacement players for those that get injured regular season. While I realize we are not at the bottom of the food chain in salary cap, we're also not in a position to spend freely and we may have our arm twisted to let a veteran player go if it adds around the 10M mark to our budget.
We can trade directly (player A for player B) or trade-off indirectly (cutting player(s) and adding other players in separate transactions.
The nice thing about adding to our salary cap with indirect transactions is that we get a host of options of who we want to sign and we can do it at our discretion.

IMO, we need at least $30M to actively go out and get the players we need this year in FA (beyond the draft picks we have) and we don't necessarily want to be on fumes monetarily speaking when we're done, so we really need more like $35M. That means we really need 40M if we want to carry that 5M reserve. There are several ways to get there but the easiest is to cut 1 large Veteran contract first and then that takes away the pressure of having to low ball several other solid players and possibly losing a grouping like we did in the 2017 offseason because of the pressure of having our financial backs pinned against the wall so to speak. We can't afford that 2 years in a row. 1 major cut and a few more contracts leveraged by lowering the annual output a few million each annually and we're there. We could then go out and get 3 or 4 solid FA guys that will contribute day 1, plus sign some depth players. I think that our positional needs dictate a sort of "rebalancing" of player assets.
My gut tells me we will very likely see a player we all have grown attached to being let go.

Last edited:

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks to insomnia, i have just read this whole thread, took over 2 hours btw. as a non-yank, i do struggle to comprehend the way things like the draft and cap stuff work, but this thread has been very informative. cheers @HardRightEdge. in an ideal world, players/athletes regardless of sport would have wage limits(who really needs 20M/yr), but i kinda digress

when it comes to the big three fa's, cm3/nelson/cobb, this is what i consider doing, please forgive if it's complete crap

in a bid to save on the 2018 cap, offer a one year extension to each to end of 2019 and offer 15/16 for the two years to randy and jordy, and 14/15 for clay, then an option for a third year for each player. i realise with randy being younger he may want something a bit longer, so maybe a 3yr 21-23M deal with an option of a fourth year. if we had to lose one, i think i would cut randy, more because i think AR would rather have jordy still over randy. i think all three can still contribute to the team, and look forward to seeing if clay is more productive with a new DC. and i think this lets us not have to hope for an immediate impact from the draft/fa for these positions and lets any draftees learn our game for one season before we need to see that impact

D

Deleted member 6794

I doubt the Cleveland offer could be good enough to get me to pull the trigger because I don’t see a great franchise QB in this draft or headed for FA. But, they’ve got an arsenal of draft picks that I’d certainly find tempting if offered up.

While it's true that the Browns have an intriguing arsenal of draft picks available there's absolutely no way I would be thinking about trading Rodgers.

Well, we could trade Rodgers to Cleveland for their #1 and #4 2018 picks plus additional considerations, sign Brees out of free agency to a 2 or 3 year contract, draft a couple of studs, trade some picks for some vet help, and roll on to the SB!

There's the formula for all the "win now" advocates! :coffee:

It's all but guaranteed that Brees will re-sign with the Saints.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
thanks to insomnia, i have just read this whole thread, took over 2 hours btw.

For your next assignment, you need to do the same with the "Fire Capers" thread. :coffee:

as a non-yank, i do struggle to comprehend the way things like the draft and cap stuff work, but this thread has been very informative. cheers @HardRightEdge. in an ideal world, players/athletes regardless of sport would have wage limits(who really needs 20M/yr), but i kinda digress

when it comes to the big three fa's, cm3/nelson/cobb, this is what i consider doing, please forgive if it's complete crap

in a bid to save on the 2018 cap, offer a one year extension to each to end of 2019 and offer 15/16 for the two years to randy and jordy, and 14/15 for clay, then an option for a third year for each player. i realise with randy being younger he may want something a bit longer, so maybe a 3yr 21-23M deal with an option of a fourth year. if we had to lose one, i think i would cut randy, more because i think AR would rather have jordy still over randy. i think all three can still contribute to the team, and look forward to seeing if clay is more productive with a new DC. and i think this lets us not have to hope for an immediate impact from the draft/fa for these positions and lets any draftees learn our game for one season before we need to see that impact

Good insight and in theory it appears what you suggest or something close to it could end up being beneficial to the Packers as well as to some extent the players. But, it all relies on both sides willingness to renegotiate the contract. I won't regurgite the pros and cons for both sides of the equation, since this thread is full of them, but for whatever the reason(s), you don't see it happen that frequently in the NFL.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For your next assignment, you need to do the same with the "Fire Capers" thread. :coffee:

F*** that, that was well over 100 pages wasn't it, ain't nobody got time for that

Good insight and in theory it appears what you suggest or something close to it could end up being beneficial to the Packers as well as to some extent the players. But, it all relies on both sides willingness to renegotiate the contract. I won't regurgite the pros and cons for both sides of the equation, since this thread is full of them, but for whatever the reason(s), you don't see it happen that frequently in the NFL.
cheers for not just laughing at me. glad my thoughts don't seem to come from some far off planet, even if the chances of things playing out this way are slim

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm absolutely convinced Brees will stay in New Orleans.

Me too. Just thought it was funny. The Vikings have 4 real options it seems without knowing anything about their cap situation. They can sign one of the three guys who were with them last year all who have major question marks or get in a bidding war for cousins. Don't really know what else is out there

D

Deleted member 6794

Me too. Just thought it was funny. The Vikings have 4 real options it seems without knowing anything about their cap situation. They can sign one of the three guys who were with them last year all who have major question marks or get in a bidding war for cousins. Don't really know what else is out there

The Vikings currently have more than $50 million of cap space available (assuming Over The Cap is correct that the cap will raise to $178 million). That will probably allow them to sign a quarterback to a lucrative deal. It will be a tough decision who to spend that money on though.