2017 NFL Draft

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Though I am not on the "let's lose every game for the rest of the season" bandwagon, I have pretty much put this season out of the playoff picture. The Packers are far too deep into their defensive depth chart to even have a shot of salvaging the season, I am on to my personal favorite topic of discussion: The Draft.

So lets of assumptions have to be made here of course....assuming we lock up Jared Cook, JC Tretter, Micah Hyde and I guess TJ Lang (meaning let Lacy, Barclay, And Datone Jones go sit the bench for another team) and Julius Peppers retire, what is this team looking for? Is Sam Shields going to be allowed to play football again?

Oline is always in need of depth and young talent is always something good to have, but after that I am really unsure. I am not a fan of drafting a RB in the 1-3 rounds, though we may need too. Maybe an athletic D end? A true wide out? First round talent at OLB? Maybe do not sign Jared Cook and go after a TE? A CB to replace Shields because Rollins obviously is NOT the answer. Here are some prospects for the first round. What does everyone else think?

Round 1
Cam Robinson, Alabama OT
OJ Howard, Alabama TE
Mike Williams, Clemson WR
Tim Williams, Alabama OLB
Geez Tabor, Florida CB
Sidney Jones, Washington CB
Ryan Ramsey, Wisconsin OT
Christian McCafferty, Stanford RB
Solonman Thomas, Stanford DE

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The status of Cook will be determined by what he does the rest of the season. Last night he looked like someone who is worthy of keeping around and I can see the Chemistry between him and AR just getting better and better.

CB is most definitely a glaring need. Shields won't be back. While Randall and Rollins may end up being decent CB's with more seasoning, I think a shut down CB is high on the Packers priority list at this point.

Not sure who Ryan Ramsey, Wisconsin is on your list? Did you mean Ryan Ramczyk? He is a Junior, but obviously could declare.

OL, OLB, WR, RB will all be needs as well. How urgent, will depend a lot on who we resign, who Eliot Wolf :)D) signs in Free Agency and who the coaching staff is.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

Reaction score
The status of Cook will be determined by what he does the rest of the season. Last night he looked like someone who is worthy of keeping around and I can see the Chemistry between him and AR just getting better and better.

CB is most definitely a glaring need. Shields won't be back. While Randall and Rollins may end up being decent CB's with more seasoning, I think a shut down CB is high on the Packers priority list at this point.

Not sure who Ryan Ramsey, Wisconsin is on your list? Did you mean Ryan Ramczyk? He is a Junior, but obviously could declare.

OL, OLB, WR, RB will all be needs as well. How urgent, will depend a lot on who we resign, who Eliot Wolf :)D) signs in Free Agency and who the coaching staff is.
Yes Ryan Ramczyk (auto-correct)

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

Reaction score
Well, who is worth the 7th pick at this point?
I personally love Mike Williams, but it is hard to say that WR is our biggest need. Like PokerBrat mentioned, it all depends on what happens in the head office during the off season and which guys stick around. If Shields football career is over, CB quickly becomes our biggest need.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell no! No more linemen in the first rd! And No more PAC 12 guys in the 1st rd! They clearly need a corner who can run with people! and a wr who can have an impact right away. Corner should be the first priority. This has got to be the slowest group of corners I've ever seen.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I personally love Mike Williams, but it is hard to say that WR is our biggest need. Like PokerBrat mentioned, it all depends on what happens in the head office during the off season and which guys stick around. If Shields football career is over, CB quickly becomes our biggest need.
Well at the rate they are playing the last 4 weeks it may be higher than 7. I don't see a lot of victories in the Packers last 6 games. Maybe the Texans and Bears, possibly the Vikings. 3-3? Not looking good right now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well at the rate they are playing the last 4 weeks it may be higher than 7. I don't see a lot of victories in the Packers last 6 games. Maybe the Texans and Bears, possibly the Vikings. 3-3? Not looking good right now.

While I agree with that, I don't think the Packers will even beat the Texans. The Viking will be playing for their playoff lives, while the Packers will be thinking about the off season, easy win for the Vikes.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
To TT or a GM with a clear vision of value?
If they go 6-10 I would not be surprised to see a whole new staff from GM on down. MM is just not calling the plays for the people he has. When Turner resigned from the Vikings it made a difference on the offense. You can really see a difference in the play calling the last few games. And this Thursday we may actually have the same starting o-line for two games in a row.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
While I agree with that, I don't think the Packers will even beat the Texans. The Viking will be playing for their playoff lives, while the Packers will be thinking about the off season, easy win for the Vikes.
Houston game is at Green Bay. Os isn't that good of a QB. Packer just need to get to him. Hit him a few time in the first quarter and I think he gets gun shy. Vikes road isn't going to be easy. Thursdays game will say a lot. If they lose to the Lions I don't expect them to make the playoffs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Houston game is at Green Bay. Os isn't that good of a QB. Packer just need to get to him. Hit him a few time in the first quarter and I think he gets gun shy.

Don't worry, the Packers Defense will allow Texan fans to say "Brock just earned his salary with THAT game!". The Packers have had the knack of making average QB's look pretty good. The Texans are 6-3, have done better against common opponents and playing in GB doesn't scare many teams anymore. Call Vegas.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A new coaching staff is the biggest need.

If Fournette falls to GB, I'm all for taking him. He's probably the most talented player other than Garrett, and would be an immense upgrade to the offense.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would this thread have come up at this time if the Packers were hot and in first place?

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would this thread have come up at this time if the Packers were hot and in first place?

Logically that would make no sense if we would be in first place. We wouldn't be talking about a possible top 10 even top 5 pick. But as a fan base when you start losing, it is natural to move from the frustration of the current year to optimism of the next year.

Why does that bother you? Realistically for the Packers to make they playoff, they would have to win out... That would make them 10-6. With games at Detroit, and at home vs Seattle the odds are less then slim that this team could do that. Even if they do, the talent level isn't able to survive the playoff run.

So instead of being all doom and gloom, why not let people look at the positives... I for one would be pumped for Fournette or Peppers. I haven't seen that kind of talent in a secondary since Woodson.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Probably not at this time, but The Fire Capers Thread has been open 24/7/365 for many years now....might be time to start planning our 2018 draft as well. :coffee:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Logically that would make no sense if we would be in first place. We wouldn't be talking about a possible top 10 even top 5 pick. But as a fan base when you start losing, it is natural to move from the frustration of the current year to optimism of the next year.

Why does that bother you? Realistically for the Packers to make they playoff, they would have to win out... That would make them 10-6. With games at Detroit, and at home vs Seattle the odds are less then slim that this team could do that. Even if they do, the talent level isn't able to survive the playoff run.

So instead of being all doom and gloom, why not let people look at the positives... I for one would be pumped for Fournette or Peppers. I haven't seen that kind of talent in a secondary since Woodson.
I have no problems at all with you all discussing this.
I know nothing at all and asking about it or making a point that this is the conversation now was the only way I could contribute to the discussion.

Frankly, I wish that Ted was gone so that we could all be having a discussion of other current players the Packers GM would be looking at but we all know that is a waste of a time of a discussion as long as Ted is around.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Frankly, I wish that Ted was gone so that we could all be having a discussion of other current players the Packers GM would be looking at but we all know that is a waste of a time of a discussion as long as Ted is around.

I think there is a good possibility of that happening at the end of the season. While maybe the uncertainty of that changes how we talk about the Free Agent market, the NFL draft will take place no matter who the GM is and chatting about that now, seems like the next step in the process.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is a good possibility of that happening at the end of the season. While maybe the uncertainty of that changes how we talk about the Free Agent market, the NFL draft will take place no matter who the GM is and chatting about that now, seems like the next step in the process.
Good points and I agree.

Will Ted really be gone though? Those of us who are just fans really don't know the inner workings of the office.
Wanting to see him gone is a knee jerk reaction and maybe he really is smarter than we think he is.
Is it really all his fault when the injuries happen or when players perform badly?
He is the main man at building the team and perhaps he should go but it's not really up to us.
He knows more about football than any of us.
I don't agree with his draft and develop philosophy either since it isn't working anymore.
But who should the Packers really draft to get us out of the playoff losing hole we are so deep into?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good points and I agree.

Will Ted really be gone though? Those of us who are just fans really don't know the inner workings of the office.
Wanting to see him gone is a knee jerk reaction and maybe he really is smarter than we think he is.
Is it really all his fault when the injuries happen or when players perform badly?
He is the main man at building the team and perhaps he should go but it's not really up to us.
He knows more about football than any of us.
I don't agree with his draft and develop philosophy either since it isn't working anymore.
But who should the Packers really draft to get us out of the playoff losing hole we are so deep into?

In my humble opinion, TT has been a very good GM who's D & D philosophy has been successful but aided by picks like Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews. However, his stubbornness to go outside the organization with FA signings or trades will ultimately be his downfall, if it already isn't. The situation at CB and RB this year were good examples of putting way to much faith in his own guys. TT is using the PS like its part of the 53, there is a reason these guys are on an NFL PS, they aren't ready to play NFL football, at least in key roles. TT should have been looking for a vet CB to trade for as soon as Shields, Randall and Rollins went down. Cutting Sitton and getting nothing was a mistake. Keeping Don Barclay, instead of finding someone who actually can play back-up OL was a big mistake. With all the injuries the Packers have sustained this year, we are seeing just how weak the bottom of our D & D roster is.

I'm sure people have started compiling a list of all the mistakes TT has made over the years, but this year has been chalked so full of them, its enough for me to say goodbye to Ted.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, TT has been a very good GM who's D & D philosophy has been aided by picks like Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews. But his stubbornness to go outside the organization with FA signings or trades will ultimately be his downfall, if it already isn't. The situation at CB and RB this year were good examples of putting way to much faith in your own guys. TT is using the PS like its part of the 53, there is a reason these guys are on an NFL PS, they aren't ready to play NFL football, at least in key roles. With all the injuries the Packers have sustained this year, we are seeing just how weak the bottom of our D & D roster is.

I'm sure people have started compiling a list of all the mistakes TT has made over the years, but this year has been chalked so full of them, its enough for me to say goodbye to Ted.
My theory is the reason for all the injuries as well as poor performance is because they are rookies and are not accustomed to playing in the big boys game.
If we had more seasoned veterans whose bodies are more used to punishment and they have the knowledge and experience of playing in the NFL for a few years, then I think we would be a lot better.
What do you, or anyone else, think of that theory?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My theory is the reason for all the injuries as well as poor performance is because they are rookies and are not accustomed to playing in the big boys game.
If we had more seasoned veterans whose bodies are more used to punishment and they have the knowledge and experience of playing in the NFL for a few years, then I think we would be a lot better.
What do you, or anyone else, think of that theory?

Well the injuries are happening to vets as well; Shields, Cook, Lacy, Matthews, Lang....insert name here. So I don't think injuries are related as much to age as you do. However, performance is related to age and experience and TT by having one of the youngest rosters in the NFL, is finding out what happens when you have no experience in your depth. That is the biggest thing I have taken away from this year. The Packers need to make sure they have more vets, not named Don Barclay, ready to step up.