2015 Draft Killed This Team

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Picking Randall and Rollins forced us to do 3 bad things in 3 years (2015-2017)
1) Get rid of Tramon that offseason which was probably the least egregious of these 3(2015)
2)Get rid of Hayward the next offseason (2016). No idea why he never got more of an opportunity.
3)Get rid of Hyde for no good reason last offseason (2017).

Ted went from being great at finding corners to becoming a joke at filling that position. He did bring in the guys named above early, signed Woodson and found Shields in 2010. But not talking with Woodson in 2013 about a pay cut is really when the bad moves at corner started. 2015 draft really put a dent in this defense. Just trying to think if we drafted other positions in 2015 when we already had Shields, Hayward, and Hyde even if we did move on from Tramon. The 2011 draft was bad, but this one to me stings the most especially after trading Randall for a 2018 version of Jamarcus Russell. I'm basically done with Rollins being any type of contributor. These picks played a big part of the most pathetic defensive performance in a big game I have ever seen in the Atlanta NFC Championship game. This makes me feel poopy.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Get rid of Tramon that offseason which was probably the least egregious of these 3(2015)
2)Get rid of Hayward the next offseason (2016). No idea why he never got more of an opportunity.

Ted went from being great at finding corners to becoming a joke at filling that position. He did bring in the guys named above early, signed Woodson and found Shields in 2010. But not talking with Woodson in 2013 about a pay cut is really when the bad moves at corner started. 2015 draft really put a dent in this defense. Just trying to think if we drafted other positions in 2015 when we already had Shields, Hayward, and Hyde even if we did move on from Tramon. The 2011 draft was bad, but this one to me stings the most especially after trading Randall for a 2018 version of Jamarcus Russell. I'm basically done with Rollins being any type of contributor. These picks played a big part of the most pathetic defensive performance in a big game I have ever seen in the Atlanta NFC Championship game. This makes me feel poopy.

TT shares the blame with Capers for this. Don't forget that capers thought heyward was just a nickel cb who could only play inside and didn't realize that Hyde was best as a safety. It was incompetency all around

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20. Hayward was burnt toast when given the opportunity to play on the outside and thrived inside. The promising rookie years of both aforementioned corners did make him expendable. He looked horrible and lost when starting outside so I don't doubt our system prevented him from reaching his potential.
The same goes for Hyde, who was our jack of all trades. You don't pay a guy that much money to be a backup/spot safety or corner. Should he really start over Haha or Burnett in our system? No. Jones has more upside than Hyde and just needs more experience.
Woodson's best years were behind him and he was becoming injury prone. Injuries and veterans with big paychecks aren't a good combination for a team trying to stay cap efficient.
I'm glad these guys are thriving in other systems, but nobody was crying when they left - in fact it seemed understandable in each situation.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Throw on top of the terrible 2015 draft, the maybe worse 2016 draft, and you have a fired GM.

Out of the 2016 draft the only player with any upside is Dean Lowry.

Clark is strong, but just doesn't make plays; neither Spriggs nor Fackrell can play at all... Fackrell was on my "do not draft list", but Ted never got my memo, lol...

I'm surprised at how bad Spriggs has been. He's too high a pick to give up on too early, but my God has he been bad.

If not for his draft status, he would have been an easy cut very early on.

Don't get me started on the Vince Beigel pick from last year, lol... they had all night to sit on the decision as they had the first pick of rd 4, and they pick Beigel??? Wow, just wow!!

Glad to see that Highsmith and Wolf are gone out of the front office. I think they were a big part of the problem along with TT.

H

HardRightEdge

TT shares the blame with Capers for this. Don't forget that capers thought heyward was just a nickel cb who could only play inside and didn't realize that Hyde was best as a safety. It was incompetency all around
There's some merit in that. On the other hand, matching thier FA offers would have cost about $26 million to date over 3 years. While that might have made for a better defense, if we're engaging in 20/20 highsight we could say it would have been wasted cap since this team was going nowhere without Rodgers. Today, you'd be at negative cap and not even able to sign the upcoming draft class as the roster stands now.

Before that there was Willams and House as cap casualties, which were good moves given their FA deals and subsequent performance.

The problem isn't that the Packers did not re-sign these guys. The problem is the guys they drafted (read: "cheap rookie contracts"), first Randall and Rollins, then and King and Jones (where the book is still open), have not yielded the expected returns.

A similar situation was dumping Sitton's cap (and a guy in his contract year who would become further unaffordable) and replacing him for a less expensive and competent replacement. That worked well.

If you're going to play the draft and development game then you must have good drafts and successfully develop those players. That did not happen and that is the real problem, not the players they did not re-sign. Good teams lose good players all of the time because they can't afford them.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Don't get me started on the Vince Beigel pick from last year, lol... they had all night to sit on the decision as they had the first pick of rd 4, and they pick Beigel??? Wow, just wow!!
It's difficult to get too upset over a single 4th. round pick. I would say that when drafting a guy with a known Jones Fracture at that position in the draft, you'd have to think you're getting a 2nd. round value if he can get healthy. That would have been a dubious proposition from the start.

He looks like one of those good, smart college players without a 3-down fit in the NFL. Maybe 4-3 OLB, rotation at ILB. He's not an edge rusher.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
2 bad drafts really set the team back when TT was all about draft and develop. When you hit many duds you set the team back few good years.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's difficult to get too upset over a single 4th. round pick. I would say that when drafting a guy with a known Jones Fracture at that position in the draft, you'd have to think you're getting a 2nd. round value if he can get healthy. That would have been a dubious proposition from the start.

He looks like one of those good, smar college players without a 3-down fit in the NFL. Maybe 4-3 OLB, rotation at ILB. He's not an edge rusher.

I see Biegel as being pedestrian - very pedestrian. Another terrible pick.

The guy I wanted with that 1st pick of the 4th round (a very valuable pick) was Carl Lawson, LB, Auburn.

He went 8 picks later to the Bengals... week 3 against the Pack?? While Biegel was watching the game on TV - Lawson had 2.5 sacks on Rodgers.

How can fans with magazines and youtube videos get it right, but the Packer brass makes a mess of it??

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with all of your assassments with the exception of Clark. His second season was very good. Fackrell and Spriggs were massive hits to the team. You can't miss on as many high draft picks as TT and not plunge the team into its current mess. Like Fackrell R Rodgers was another head scatcher. TT drafted too many players at high draft picks who did not have the athleticism to excell. Toss into the equasion moving players into new positions and you have a recipe for wasting AR's career.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've neither replenished the roster with enough starter talent, nor hit on anyone special. We'll need a draft like NO had last year to make this team into a SB threat. Outside of QB, we likely have the worst roster and worst coach in the division.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20. Hayward was burnt toast when given the opportunity to play on the outside and thrived inside. The promising rookie years of both aforementioned corners did make him expendable. He looked horrible and lost when starting outside so I don't doubt our system prevented him from reaching his potential.
The same goes for Hyde, who was our jack of all trades. You don't pay a guy that much money to be a backup/spot safety or corner. Should he really start over Haha or Burnett in our system? No. Jones has more upside than Hyde and just needs more experience.
Woodson's best years were behind him and he was becoming injury prone. Injuries and veterans with big paychecks aren't a good combination for a team trying to stay cap efficient.
I'm glad these guys are thriving in other systems, but nobody was crying when they left - in fact it seemed understandable in each situation.

I disagree. Hayward was always better in the slot, but he was never worse than average on the outside.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We've neither replenished the roster with enough starter talent, nor hit on anyone special. We'll need a draft like NO had last year to make this team into a SB threat. Outside of QB, we likely have the worst roster and worst coach in the division.

Lol... what a joke of a post. You realize who else is in our division right?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Biegel as being pedestrian - very pedestrian. Another terrible pick.

The guy I wanted with that 1st pick of the 4th round (a very valuable pick) was Carl Lawson, LB, Auburn.

He went 8 picks later to the Bengals... week 3 against the Pack?? While Biegel was watching the game on TV - Lawson had 2.5 sacks on Rodgers.

How can fans with magazines and youtube videos get it right, but the Packer brass makes a mess of it??

I agree with you about the Biegel pick, but I think you're wrong when you say Clark is just strong and doesn't make plays. Clark is one of the best young, up and coming defensive lineman in the league. It wasn't a **** pick, but it was a great pick.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
some guys tip their hands and show exactly where they rate as talent evaluators LOL

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Randall & Rollins were clearly misses. No argument.

3rd round yielded Ty Montgomery - Not a superstar by any stretch, but, when healthy, a solid contributor.

4th rounder Jake Ryan......So-so.

5th rounder Brett Hundley has been a disappointment.

The 6th round pick might have been the best value: Aaron Ripkowski, the team's lone fullback.

Both 7th rounders, Christian Ringo and Kennard Backman, are gone.

Not a great draft, but a couple of contributors at least.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol... what a joke of a post. You realize who else is in our division right?
A team who had 0 receivers and rookie QB last year that we barely beat without Rodgers who just hired a great OC to coach the team and added a talented young WR to go along with Meredith, and a team who crushed us without Rodgers and added one of the league's best DCs as a coach, and a team which went to the NFC championship.

I'm not seeing how what I said is a reach. You are oblivious if you think we are superior to the other teams, outside of our QB.

Reaction score
Unfortunately Packer fans, don't get your hopes up for the next couple years for all this to
return to a winning season, and that's if the new management knows anything about football.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
A team who had 0 receivers and rookie QB last year that we barely beat without Rodgers who just hired a great OC to coach the team and added a talented young WR to go along with Meredith, and a team who crushed us without Rodgers and added one of the league's best DCs as a coach, and a team which went to the NFC championship.

I'm not seeing how what I said is a reach. You are oblivious if you think we are superior to the other teams, outside of our QB.

It’s weird how many Bears and Lions homers root for the Packers.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall & Rollins were clearly misses. No argument.

3rd round yielded Ty Montgomery - Not a superstar by any stretch, but, when healthy, a solid contributor.

4th rounder Jake Ryan......So-so.

5th rounder Brett Hundley has been a disappointment.

The 6th round pick might have been the best value: Aaron Ripkowski, the team's lone fullback.

Both 7th rounders, Christian Ringo and Kennard Backman, are gone.

Not a great draft, but a couple of contributors at least.
That's a terrible draft. Montgomery can't stay healthy, and contributes under 500 combined yards per season, even while forced into a starting RB workload. And a starting FB in this day and age with 17 career catches is just a wasted spot on the field on most plays.

Members online

Latest posts