2014 Pro Bowl Selections

H

HardRightEdge

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/286733371.html

"Led by QB Aaron Rodgers, who was elected for the fourth time, the Packers group included FB John Kuhn (second), LB Clay Matthews (fourth), WR Jordy Nelson (first) and G Josh Sitton (first).

The Packers also landed these alternates: T David Bakhtiari, WR Randall Cobb, RB Eddie Lacy, G T.J. Lang, LB Julius Peppers, CB Sam Shields and CB Tramon Williams.

The positions of the alternates (first, second, third) was not released. The alternates replace injured players and players who are playing in the Super Bowl."

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well the offensive line looks like it turned out just fine to me. I remember people telling me I was being way to optimistic regarding our offensive line back in camp. I wont name any names. :rolleyes:

A first team pro bowler, 2 alternates, probably an all-rookie candidate Linsely and Bryan Bulaga. Wow. When your odd man out is Bryan Bulaga your pretty damn good up front.

My "best roster TT has ever assembled" statement back in July doesn't look so ridiculous anymore does it?

D

Deleted member 6794

Well the offensive line looks like it turned out just fine to me. I remember people telling me I was being way to optimistic regarding our offensive line back in camp. I wont name any names. :rolleyes:

A first team pro bowler, 2 alternates, probably an all-rookie candidate Linsely and Bryan Bulaga. Wow. When your odd man out is Bryan Bulaga your pretty damn good up front.

My "best roster TT has ever assembled" statement back in July doesn't look so ridiculous anymore does it?

I couldn't care less about Pro Bowl selections. The offensive line has played surprisingly good and we have been lucky none of our starters on the OL has suffered an injury resulting in one of them missing any time.

The Packers still haven't clinched the division so your "best roster Thompson has ever aamssembled" is still far-fetched IMO.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I couldn't care less about Pro Bowl selections. The offensive line has played surprisingly good and we have been lucky none of our starters on the OL has suffered an injury resulting in one of them missing any time.

The Packers still haven't clinched the division so your "best roster Thompson has ever aamssembled" is still far-fetched IMO.

Thats basically what I am saying is that the O-line playing as well as they are isn't a surprise to me Based on the assessment I gave prior to the season that I was told I was way to optimistic. The pro-bowl selections are just "icing on the cake". We lost Barclay so there is an injury.

As far as thr roster thing goes this team gives us the best chance to win a Super Bowl since 2010 and that team didn't clinch a division BTW. I will hold off on more speculation but once again it doesn't look like a ridiculous statement which is what I was told when evaluating what I thought at the beginning.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thats basically what I am saying is that the O-line playing as well as they are isn't a surprise to me Based on the assessment I gave prior to the season that I was told I was way to optimistic. The pro-bowl selections are just "icing on the cake". We lost Barclay so there is an injury.

As far as thr roster thing goes this team gives us the best chance to win a Super Bowl since 2010 and that team didn't clinch a division BTW. I will hold off on more speculation but once again it doesn't look like a ridiculous statement which is what I was told when evaluating what I thought at the beginning.

The 2011 team had the best regular season in franchise history, before their loss to the Giants I thought they had a great chance to win the Super Bowl.

While this year's team is pretty good I don't see them as the favourite to win it all.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Got to agree with Wimm on this one. Pro-bowl doesn't mean much anymore. The Packer offensive line is IMHO the best in the Reign of TT. And I whole heartedly agree that this is the best team that TT has fielded. I don't agree that 2010 we had a better chance to win the SB, I think this team is deeper and stronger at key positions. Yeah, we won it in 2010 but we were quite the underdogs - just squeeking in and then playing on the road the whole way. This season, we could even be the #1 seed and looking at the team in 2010 at this same point and the team now - we have a better chance I feel.

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that there are no Packers players at this years Pro Bowl....I'd rather they be checking into their Hotel in AZ.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

The 2011 team had the best regular season in franchise history, before their loss to the Giants I thought they had a great chance to win the Super Bowl.

While this year's team is pretty good I don't see them as the favourite to win it all.
The 2011 defense was deeply flawed.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score

My worst memory of that game was Harris getting repeatedly burned,scorched and toasted by Burris. Burris ran past the Packer's bench taunting the Packers with, "He can't cover me!"

Sad thing was, he couldn't.

D

Deleted member 6794

My worst memory of that game was Harris getting repeatedly burned,scorched and toasted by Burris. Burris ran past the Packer's bench taunting the Packers with, "He can't cover me!"

Sad thing was, he couldn't.

Neither Harris nor Burress played in the 2011 divisional playoff game, you're thinking about the 2007 NFC championship game.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Got to agree with Wimm on this one. Pro-bowl doesn't mean much anymore. The Packer offensive line is IMHO the best in the Reign of TT. And I whole heartedly agree that this is the best team that TT has fielded. I don't agree that 2010 we had a better chance to win the SB, I think this team is deeper and stronger at key positions. Yeah, we won it in 2010 but we were quite the underdogs - just squeeking in and then playing on the road the whole way. This season, we could even be the #1 seed and looking at the team in 2010 at this same point and the team now - we have a better chance I feel.

I don't care about pro-bowl either but our guys usually get snubbed for Pro-bowl selections so it's the "nail in the coffin".

Yes, that is what I stated back in camp that this roster is overall the deepest collection of talent and is superior to what TT has ever assembled.

Some people thought I was crazy.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

2011 team didn't have a defense. We lost some guys and were finally recovering 3 years later from the Nick Collins injury.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't care about pro-bowl either but our guys usually get snubbed for Pro-bowl selections so it's the "nail in the coffin".

Yes, that is what I stated back in camp that this roster is overall the deepest collection of talent and is superior to what TT has ever assembled.

Some people thought I was crazy.

Once again I think it's way too early to pat yourself on the back. IMO the receiving corps including the TEs isn't even close to the talent the Packers have had during some seasons when Thompson was the GM and the offense has had troubles vs. teams capable of containing Nelson and Cobb.

The defense is pretty deep at some positions but the unit has still holes at NT and ILB.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
You might have confused Burris with Nicks embarrassing the secondary in 2011. ;)

That was equally as bad. But it was Plaxico Burress and Al Harris I was thinking of. Just got my years mixed up.

I really liked Harris but I think that game was the beginning of the end for old Al in Green Bay.

But at his best, he was a real bad-*** out there.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

The Packers still haven't clinched the division so your "best roster Thompson has ever assembled" is still far-fetched IMO.
While we can appreciate the surprising contribution of Barclay last season, especially considering the roster alternatives, Bulaga is an upgrade. Linsley is the best center the Packers have fielded by a meaningful margin since Wells left.

But there are other factors that tend to get overlooked.

Kuhn got few snaps in the early games. Since the bye, his blocking has been a factor in Lacy going from a 4.0 runner from to a 5.0+ runner down the stretch. Lacy has developed into an outstanding pass blocker. Starks looks to have stepped up his pass blocking as well. Quarless is a better in-line blocker than Finley if one wants to make comparisons to the blocking mess we saw in 2012 (see Newhouse, Saturday, Bulaga out for half the season).

Except for the rare 5 wide / empty backfield sets, there are 6 or 7 at least decent blockers in play at all times for run or pass.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2011 defense should get credit for the ints which helped the offense alot. They lead the league by a WIDE margin. 31 and the next closest team had 23.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts