2012 Draft Grades

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From around the Draft Webosphere:

Post any other grades and reviews you find of our whole draft in here. It's nice to hear what the national draft guys say about our picks.

From Walter Football:

2012 NFL Draft Individual Grades:

28. Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC: A- Grade

Every single analyst on TV told me that Nick Perry wasn't a 3-4 prospect. Hmm... I guess Ted Thompson knows best. I'll trust Thompson, who's had success with USC pass-rushers. The Packers really needed someone other than Clay Matthews to get after the quarterback.

51. Jerel Worthy, DE/DT, Michigan State: A- Grade
The Packers surrendered a fourth-round pick to the Eagles for Jerel Worthy. And with that, their front seven projects to be so much better. Worthy, who was projected by some to be a late first-round pick, fills a big need at five-technique on the defensive line.

62. Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt: B+ Grade
There weren't many cornerbacks who fit Green Bay's defense in this class. Casey Hayward was one of them. The Packers had to find a cornerback to bolster the secondary because Charles Woodson won't be around much longer. Green Bay moved up for him, jumping up from No. 90 to No. 62. All it cost them, however, was a fifth-round pick. I don't understand why Bill Belichick couldn't get more from Ted Thompson.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't watch a lot of college football, but from what I've seen and read I think this draft couldn't have possibly gone any better for the Packers. Maybe Mercilus or McClellin were rated higher on TT's board, but I think Nick Perry can be a special player and I absolutely love the Worthy pick.

Yeah, when I heard the Packers moved up with New England I was expecting for us to give up either the rest of our draft or maybe next year's 2/3rd rounder. Can't believe we only had to give up a late 5th rounder and our 3rd to move up to 62.

I personally think the Bears and Lions have done a poor job of addressing their biggest weaknesses. The Bears haven't picked any OL which surprises me and the Lions secondary maybe worst than last year. Eric Wright, one of their better corners, left for free agency and they waited until the 3rd round to draft a corner from a small school who maybe considered a project.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears draft has been mindless. I had a feeling that their GM was just a front man for Lovie and I think I am right.

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
This is from Bleacher Report so it might not be the best source, but it is still a different opinion.

1(28): Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC - Grade: B
Perry was an excellent value at the biggest need position for the Packers, but I would have preferred Courtney Upshaw here. Perry is more physically talented as an edge rusher, but Upshaw is the better all-around player. Perry has to be developed as a run defender, but he should play early on because the Packers have little to work with opposite Clay Matthews.
2(51): Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State - Grade: B
Worthy can shoot gaps and beat his man off the snap with ease, but as a 3-4 DE he will often face double teams, which he struggled to beat in college. Worthy is a good value this late, but might not be a good fit.
2(62): Casey Hayward, DB, Vanderbilt - Grade: A
The pick gets a high grade because the Packers gave up the paltry price of a late fifth-round pick to move up 28 spots for Hayward. The defensive back could stay at corner or move to free safety with the recent release of Nick Collins.
Rounds 1-3 Grade: B+

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rap against Upshaw that I heard was two things. First, Upshaw is not that athletic. Perry is considerably more so. Second, lots of scouts saw in Upshaw a guy who tends to stand up straight too much and is susceptible to cut blocks because of it.

The only reason to give Perry a B is if Perry can't make a good transition to OLB. That's something we just don't know.

The rap on Worthy here, that he will often face double teams is something I don't get. So tell me, who DOESN'T struggle to beat a double team? That's exactly what Worthy faced in his senior season, a constant double team. The role of a DE in the 3-4 is primarily to force double teams and get a push to collapse the pocket. You rely on Clay Matthews and Nick Perry to get the sacks.

And Bleacher Report is not one source I'd take very seriously either.

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
Nick Perry, Outside Linebacker, USC - This is a different Bleacher Report Opinion
The best pick of the last 10 selections in our humble opinion, Nick Perry is a freaking beast off the edge. He's an athletic pass-rusher who can attack the edge and generate pressure in the backfield opposite Clay Matthews.
The Packers could not have asked for a better pick here. Perry is an absolute steal.
Next stop, Titletown?
Grade: A+

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rap against Upshaw that I heard was two things. First, Upshaw is not that athletic. Perry is considerably more so. Second, lots of scouts saw in Upshaw a guy who tends to stand upstraight too much and is susceptible to cut blocks because of it.

The only reason to give Perry a B is if Perry can't make a good transition to OLB. That's something we just don't know.

The rap on Worthy here, that he will often face double teams is something I don't get. So tell me, who DOESN'T struggle to beat a double team? That's exactly what Worthy faced in his senior season, a constant double team. The role of a DE in the 3-4 is primarily to force double teams and get a push to collapse the pocket. You rely on Clay Matthews and Nick Perry to get the sacks.

And Bleacher Report is not one source I'd take very seriously either.
Worthy's objective is to DRAW the double team. And if he gets blocked - thats okay. It means there is one less OL taken away from blocking Clay or Perry. If they instead just single block him, Worthy has to take advantage of that and get a sack now and then - make em pay.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
From around the Draft Webosphere:

Post any other grades and reviews you find of our whole draft in here. It's nice to hear what the national draft guys say about our picks.

From Walter Football:
2012 NFL Draft Individual Grades:

28. Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC: A- Grade
Every single analyst on TV told me that Nick Perry wasn't a 3-4 prospect. Hmm... I guess Ted Thompson knows best. I'll trust Thompson, who's had success with USC pass-rushers. The Packers really needed someone other than Clay Matthews to get after the quarterback.

51. Jerel Worthy, DE/DT, Michigan State: A- Grade
The Packers surrendered a fourth-round pick to the Eagles for Jerel Worthy. And with that, their front seven projects to be so much better. Worthy, who was projected by some to be a late first-round pick, fills a big need at five-technique on the defensive line.

62. Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt: B+ Grade
There weren't many cornerbacks who fit Green Bay's defense in this class. Casey Hayward was one of them. The Packers had to find a cornerback to bolster the secondary because Charles Woodson won't be around much longer. Green Bay moved up for him, jumping up from No. 90 to No. 62. All it cost them, however, was a fifth-round pick. I don't understand why Bill Belichick couldn't get more from Ted Thompson.
C'mon Rizzo, where'd you hide the rest of them.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

I have to give the whole draft an F. I only see one player drafted that has the ability to play right now, and that's Worthy.

Round one, they should've either taken Kontz at their spot, or trade to early round 2, gotten more picks then taken Kontz. He is the best Center in the draft. We know we only have Jeff Saturday for one year, so why not draft Kontz and bring him in as the heir apparent. I know people are going to come back with 'what about Evan Dietrich Smith?' Ok what about him? He's a good GUARD. I have doubts about whether or not he can make the calls and adjustments at Center. Why not take Kontz early?

Or another possible way to go would've been to take Courtney Upshaw in either a late 1 or early 2 spot with a trade down and more picks? I don't know how or why Upshaw was rated lower than Perry. Upshaw played a tough SEC schedule, and won a national championship, so you know he can play immediately.

Harrison Smith the safety from Notre Dame could've gone to Green Bay at 28. Here's a kid who is a combination of Charles Woodson and Chuck Cecil. A ball hog that will lay leather to people. This kid would've been a PERFECT pick to fill the void left by Nick Collins!

I know I'll get killed on this on this board but I think Ted locked in on one player, and stuck with that player no matter what. He's done that twice now. He did it when drafting Clay Matthews which has really worked out, and when drafting Justin Harrell, which didn't work. I just hope like I obviously think Ted is thinking that the USC breeding is the same for Perry as it was for Matthews. F- for drafting Perry in Round 1.

Heyward to me is an undersized corner that came out of the WORST program in the SEC. This to me looks like a wasted pick. F- Can anybody say Ahmad Caroll Version 2.0?

Daniels unless they plan to move him to end or put him on a see food diet seems 1.) Too light to play inside and 2.) I'm wondering about his abilities, as he played in the Big Ten, and on a team that lost to Iowa State and Minnesota. Granted both were road losses, but both are weak teams. I'll give this pick a see, as in let's SEE if he can play or not.

McMillan I'm gonna give a SEE too as well. We got Starks from a nowhere college out east, hopefully McMillan will have close to the same impact immediately, lord knows we'll need him to play safety ASAP. Seems like the right size to play safety though.

Manning. This could actually work. As much as I initially loved AJ Hawk when he came to Green Bay over the last year or two I've seen HUGE flaws. If we can bring in a linebacker, who is yes a hair undersized (I like my ILB's to be 6'1-6'3) but has tenacity and a nose for the ball and either subplant, or light a fire under AJ that will only help the team. Major problem here being the potential to have Manning and DJ Smith both under 6 feet starting at ILB if Hawk and Bishop go down at the same time again. Give this selection a B-.

Datko: Can Ted Thompson PLEASE draft a quality INTERIOR offensive lineman? I know he backed into Sitton, but that's 1 out of how many so far? Datko to me looks like another tackle, that honestly, we really don't need right now. We need INTERIOR help. F

Coleman: Unless this is an insurance policy this is another FAIL of a pick. And even if it is an insurance policy, is he gonna be ready in case BOTH Rodgers and Graham Harrell go down this year? Granted it'd be Armaggedon for the Packers, but it has happened, look at Houston last year. Wasn't Yates like their #4 QB?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I have to give the whole draft an F. I only see one player drafted that has the ability to play right now, and that's Worthy.

Round one, they should've either taken Kontz at their spot, or trade to early round 2, gotten more picks then taken Kontz. He is the best Center in the draft. We know we only have Jeff Saturday for one year, so why not draft Kontz and bring him in as the heir apparent. I know people are going to come back with 'what about Evan Dietrich Smith?' Ok what about him? He's a good GUARD. I have doubts about whether or not he can make the calls and adjustments at Center. Why not take Kontz early?

Or another possible way to go would've been to take Courtney Upshaw in either a late 1 or early 2 spot with a trade down and more picks? I don't know how or why Upshaw was rated lower than Perry. Upshaw played a tough SEC schedule, and won a national championship, so you know he can play immediately.

Harrison Smith the safety from Notre Dame could've gone to Green Bay at 28. Here's a kid who is a combination of Charles Woodson and Chuck Cecil. A ball hog that will lay leather to people. This kid would've been a PERFECT pick to fill the void left by Nick Collins!

I know I'll get killed on this on this board but I think Ted locked in on one player, and stuck with that player no matter what. He's done that twice now. He did it when drafting Clay Matthews which has really worked out, and when drafting Justin Harrell, which didn't work. I just hope like I obviously think Ted is thinking that the USC breeding is the same for Perry as it was for Matthews. F- for drafting Perry in Round 1.

Heyward to me is an undersized corner that came out of the WORST program in the SEC. This to me looks like a wasted pick. F- Can anybody say Ahmad Caroll Version 2.0?

Daniels unless they plan to move him to end or put him on a see food diet seems 1.) Too light to play inside and 2.) I'm wondering about his abilities, as he played in the Big Ten, and on a team that lost to Iowa State and Minnesota. Granted both were road losses, but both are weak teams. I'll give this pick a see, as in let's SEE if he can play or not.

McMillan I'm gonna give a SEE too as well. We got Starks from a nowhere college out east, hopefully McMillan will have close to the same impact immediately, lord knows we'll need him to play safety ASAP. Seems like the right size to play safety though.

Manning. This could actually work. As much as I initially loved AJ Hawk when he came to Green Bay over the last year or two I've seen HUGE flaws. If we can bring in a linebacker, who is yes a hair undersized (I like my ILB's to be 6'1-6'3) but has tenacity and a nose for the ball and either subplant, or light a fire under AJ that will only help the team. Major problem here being the potential to have Manning and DJ Smith both under 6 feet starting at ILB if Hawk and Bishop go down at the same time again. Give this selection a B-.

Datko: Can Ted Thompson PLEASE draft a quality INTERIOR offensive lineman? I know he backed into Sitton, but that's 1 out of how many so far? Datko to me looks like another tackle, that honestly, we really don't need right now. We need INTERIOR help. F

Coleman: Unless this is an insurance policy this is another FAIL of a pick. And even if it is an insurance policy, is he gonna be ready in case BOTH Rodgers and Graham Harrell go down this year? Granted it'd be Armaggedon for the Packers, but it has happened, look at Houston last year. Wasn't Yates like their #4 QB?
I give it a C, as in Center-lacking.

Konz the Clot?! That guy is one heart attack waiting to happen! LITERALLY!!! I'm GLAD we passed on him.

You also know Upshaw is slow. Why not take the better physical talent and use the best coaches around to teach him to be great? TBH I didn want Perry either, but for other reasons.

I liked Smith, but I never had him high enough on my board to take him in the first. From my perspective the Vikings reached as bad as the Seahawks did for Irvin.

Killed on this forum? You betcha ;)

And yet despite both speed and height concerns he was productive against SEC offenses. Tape Tape Tape. Combine just gives you an idea how much will translate.

Lets see, Ted picked Perry, a DE, to move him to LB. I suppose you would put Still on NT?

Can't argue with a calm assessment.

I'm one of the guys that hated this pick. IMO we didn need him, our back-ups could easily replace Hawk. Why trade a potential interior lineman for a dude you'll probably wind up cutting?

Datko was a talent slap to the face. Blame it on the BPA.

Ted just wanted to create competition. As it stands he'll be third string or practice squad. It was all too foreseeable. Too bad for Hill, I wanted a center. Jokes on us, he probably would have signed as a UDFA

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

Why not trade down and collect draft picks say another 5-7 slots and get Smith in early 2nd? I honestly believe Smith is now and will be a better Safety than the one we drafted. He is also a converted linebacker so he has intelligence, which our safeties sorely lacked last year as is evidenced by the coverage mishaps that fans had to watch on a weekly basis.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was a terrible year for 1st round quality safeties and as a result, players like Harrison
Smith were over valued. In a good year, he probably would have been a late 3rd round
choice. He is serviceable but he is not an impact ball hawk type of player.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not trade down and collect draft picks say another 5-7 slots and get Smith in early 2nd? I honestly believe Smith is now and will be a better Safety than the one we drafted. He is also a converted linebacker so he has intelligence, which our safeties sorely lacked last year as is evidenced by the coverage mishaps that fans had to watch on a weekly basis.

1) Clearly Smith wouldn't have been there in the early second. The Vikings took him three picks later.

2) Smith should be better than McMillian. Smith was a first round pick while McMillian was a fourth roun pick.

3) Name the last Notre Dame player worth anything in the NFL...

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Tin foil hat time!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is just dumb. If Rodgers goes down, the season goes down. You're mad because the Packers didn't upgrae the #3 QB position.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per Sportsline, "I neglected to include the Packers in my Day 2 list of winners and losers and that was wrong. So my apologies for that, because Ted Thompson crushed this draft, going defense with his first six picks. Nick Perry will help limit the number of double teams Clay Matthews sees and moving up to snag Jerel Worthy in the second was superb. Thompson then proceeded to pile on the depth all over the defense with good value picks like Terrell Manning and Casey Hayward. I love the pick of B.J. Coleman from Chattanooga late in the seventh round too. He's going to be their next Matt Flynn type guy, watch."

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

TeamTundra,

I disagree with your assessment of Harrison Smith, and I'm not saying that as a Notre Dame fan. I'm saying that as someone who's watched him every Saturday since he walked on campus. He's not a true ball-hawk like you said, I grant you that part of it, but he's better than what I think you believe him to be. He's more a Leroy Butler type. A heavy-hitter, that you know you can count on when you HAVE TO have one. And no matter which of us is right he will turn out to be a better player than the safety we took later on.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

This is just dumb. If Rodgers goes down, the season goes down. You're mad because the Packers didn't upgrae the #3 QB position.

I'm not mad, I'm concerned about what happens if Rodgers and Harrell go down. Until the defense shows it can stay with even an AVERAGE offense, I will always be concerned about this team's ability to win, I don't care who the QB is, Rodgers, Harrell, Coleman, whoever it is.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

JenningsLongCatch,

Ever heard of a cat named Tim Brown? Heisman Trophy winner from Notre Dame who played 15 years in the league? And he only retired within the last 10 years or so. Yes right now, it is a down spot for the program, but the quality of player is coming back up. Michael Floyd this year, Harrison Smith this year, Mantei Te'O next year, just watch.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
I 'm so tired of this "value" word. It covers a GMs *** if he F's up.............oh sorry I went for value.
Its so the word to use now a days when drafting(the media is all in with this) . Its a lot like the word "whatever", if I hit, I'm a scientist, if not I made a value pick and thats how you draft.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts