2012 Draft Grades

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Why not trade down and collect draft picks say another 5-7 slots and get Smith in early 2nd?
Because my dear Watson, the Vikings took him in the first. Would you have us looking stupid like the Rams? Twice they traded down expecting a reciever, they got Brockers. Unhatched chickens tend to fly the coop.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JenningsLongCatch,

Ever heard of a cat named Tim Brown? Heisman Trophy winner from Notre Dame who played 15 years in the league? And he only retired within the last 10 years or so. Yes right now, it is a down spot for the program, but the quality of player is coming back up. Michael Floyd this year, Harrison Smith this year, Mantei Te'O next year, just watch.

Tim Brown hasn't played in almost ten years. Having one great player every twenty years ain't bad!

I hope Floyd and Smith are as good as Arnaz Battle, Brady Quinn, Jimmy Clauson and Tom Zbinkowski.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

Floyd I'm not as sure about as Smith or Te'O. Floyd can be lacksadaisckle but the other two are good solid workers. As far as those you mentioned, Zbikowski doesn't need football, he has a boxing career he can fall back on. Clauson, yeah ok bust, Charlie should've never recruited him. Arnaz Battle, I'm not even sure I KNOW who he is. And well Quinn's failures I think are in the family, I mean his sister married one as well.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

But at the time, who KNEW Smith was gonna go to Minnesota there? Also if Ted had been smart and taken him, he would be in GB and not Minnesota, and our secondary would be significantly upgraded.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Floyd I'm not as sure about as Smith or Te'O. Floyd can be lacksadaisckle but the other two are good solid workers..
Te'O is a savage. That being said Floyd may have been more motivated if he had a steady QB. With him going to a team currently in a QB fight it could well destroy his career

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Floyd I'm not as sure about as Smith or Te'O. Floyd can be lackadaisical but the other two are good solid workers..
Te'O is a savage. That being said Floyd may have been more motivated if he had a steady QB. With him going to a team currently in a QB fight it could well destroy his career

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But at the time, who KNEW Smith was gonna go to Minnesota there? Also if Ted had been smart and taken him, he would be in GB and not Minnesota, and our secondary would be significantly upgraded.

Herm Edwards hated this pick... He called Smith an "in the box safety who will struggle in coverage"... Sign me up for that!

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay Packers
Good Idea: Second Round Draft picks Jerel Worthy (DT, Michigan State) and Casey Hayward (DB, Vanderbilt) - Worthy was the third highest rated defensive tackle on my board, and someone who I thought could be a late first round talent. He slides to the Packers late in the second round and gives them someone who has great size, speed and ability to be an anchor on the interior of the defensive line. He met all the team requirements I look for when grading defensive tackles and should be a quality producer for the Packers for years to come. Casey Hayward was ranked third on my defensive back rankings. With 15 career INTs and 46 PBU, he will be a welcome addition to the Packers secondary.
Bad Idea: B.J. Coleman (QB, Chattanooga) - Coleman failed to reach the minimum benchmarks on a few of the statistical markers I look for when reviewing QBs. He only amassed 14 career wins in college despite playing at a lower division school. Secondly, he had a career completion percentage of 57.4%, far below the required mark of 60%. Lastly, he was careless with the football as shown by his TD to INT ratio of 1.6. The Packers have a history of drafting and developing QB’s. I'm not sure why they didn’t take a flier on Kellen Moore.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Green Bay Packers
Good Idea: Second Round Draft picks Jerel Worthy (DT, Michigan State) and Casey Hayward (DB, Vanderbilt) - Worthy was the third highest rated defensive tackle on my board, and someone who I thought could be a late first round talent. He slides to the Packers late in the second round and gives them someone who has great size, speed and ability to be an anchor on the interior of the defensive line. He met all the team requirements I look for when grading defensive tackles and should be a quality producer for the Packers for years to come. Casey Hayward was ranked third on my defensive back rankings. With 15 career INTs and 46 PBU, he will be a welcome addition to the Packers secondary.
Bad Idea: B.J. Coleman (QB, Chattanooga) - Coleman failed to reach the minimum benchmarks on a few of the statistical markers I look for when reviewing QBs. He only amassed 14 career wins in college despite playing at a lower division school. Secondly, he had a career completion percentage of 57.4%, far below the required mark of 60%. Lastly, he was careless with the football as shown by his TD to INT ratio of 1.6. The Packers have a history of drafting and developing QB’s. I'm not sure why they didn’t take a flier on Kellen Moore.
Arm strength and an unfair advantage where he was the only one able to see the offense? Moore is short with a limited range, Coleman needs to work on mechanics, something we teach well. Obviously TT saw something he liked

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arm strength and an unfair advantage where he was the only one able to see the offense? Moore is short with a limited range, Coleman needs to work on mechanics, something we teach well. Obviously TT saw something he liked
Thompson is not always right with his picks though too. He's not flawless.
These are 2 different opinions and we will see how it plays out.
Thompson has missed on plenty of picks too..... he liked some things in Cory Rodgers, Brian Brohm, Harrell, Neal, etc as well.
A lot of what makes a player make it or miss is what's in their head and heart (as well as some old-fashioned luck too), so it's a hard deal... no science.
Ted's as good as any in the business though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Certainly Thompson has made mistakes - Brohm is the most relevant one regarding QBs - and his picks should be given scrutiny like any other GM's. His overall record has me giving him the benefit of doubt more often than not and compare national draft "analysts" now compared to early in his career and I think you that happening on a national scale too. That's why while I think it's certainly valid to criticize his drafts, assigning the grade of "F" to one right after it happens seems to be either overly emotional or to lack a sense of perspective. [quote="FrankRizzo, post: 445087, member: 2232"]Green Bay Packers Good Idea: [/quote] Who wrote this analysis? BTW, if he's right about the two 2nd rounders I'd be willing to have him be correct about the 7th round QB.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These are 2 different opinions and we will see how it plays out.
Thompson has missed on plenty of picks too..... he liked some things in Cory Rodgers, Brian Brohm, Harrell, Neal, etc as well.
A lot of what makes a player make it or miss is what's in their head and heart (as well as some old-fashioned luck too), so it's a hard deal... no science.
Ted's as good as any in the business though.
Its just a little much to criticize a 7th round flyer pick when you have a team as deeply talented as the Packers. There is a very small chance that he will ever contribute, and not just because AR is one of the best at his position. I see no problem with taking a shot here.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
TT Flawless? Anything but. The term I like to use is "eccentric." he sees something, God knows what it is, and has to toy with it. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. Can't argue with success though.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't call Harrell or Neal mistakes. Injuries happen and you can never know. So you end up with Justin Harrell in some cases and with Adrian Peterson other times. There is risk reward ratio with all draft picks.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Can't call Harrell or Neal mistakes. Injuries happen and you can never know. So you end up with Justin Harrell in some cases and with Adrian Peterson other times. There is risk reward ratio with all draft picks.
What about Lee and Brohm?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about Lee and Brohm?
Now those are Mistakes. Plain a simple - especially Brohm. He never had a chance. Lee - not sure what the story is there. He should have been better but he never progressed. I would toss a few more names in there as mistakes: Brandon Jackson and Abdul Hodge. Anything past the 3rd round you are really gambling and its silly to expect many of them to be stars. Jackson had some contributions but I always felt that it was a matter of not having anyone better on the roster, not that he was a strong contributer.

No, TT is not perfect, and don't expect him to be. But with Harrel and Neal, I don't know how you expect him to anticipate injuries.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I disagree a bit with Amish Mafia. Because of his long history of injury, I think Harrell counts as a mistake. Its one thing if you draft WR Terry Murphy or Mark D'Onofrio (second rounder by Wolf in '92 was going to be a GREAT LB) and injuries end their careers. It's another IMO to draft a kid who had injuries from high school through college and arrived in Green Bay injured. If I remember correctly, he had shin splints and a lower back problem in high school. IOW teams had notice he could be injury-prone.

Brandon Jackson was taken with the second to last pick in the second round so I understand Packers fans being disappointed he was only a third down back. But he was very good blocking in that spot and the Packers missed his contribution in that regard after he left. And he caught the ball out of the backfield pretty well too IMO. But he wasn't the every-down back you'd expect of a player drafted that high. If Thompson had balked at extending/re-signing Hawk after his rookie contract was up, and he was no longer a Packer how would those two picks compare? The #5 pick overall who started but wasn't a playmaker vs. pick #63 who was OK as a third down back? Both are disappointments but for me but neither rises to the level of a mistake like the Brohm pick does.

Just a note on D'Onofrio: One of the knocks on him coming out of college was he was too intense! He was going to be a talented kid with a nasty attitude in the middle of the Packers D. I was so looking forward to watching his Packers career. If I remember correctly, he suffered a really bad broken leg running down on a KOR and never recovered.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Harrell had injuries in college. The year before he was drafted, he missed a majority of the season with torn biceps. The injury affected him going into his rookie year. He came into camp out of shape.

I'd rate Harrell as a mistake. TT took a player with an existing injury in the first round. He's the only person to blame here.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell had injuries in college. The year before he was drafted, he missed a majority of the season with torn biceps. The injury affected him going into his rookie year. He came into camp out of shape.

I'd rate Harrell as a mistake. TT took a player with an existing injury in the first round. He's the only person to blame here.
I was a huge Harrell fan, I thought he would be a dominating pro. If he had a knee injury in college and it continued as a pro, that would have been one thing. But he developed a back injury while working out, and its what did him in.

He was the only player to ever wear #92 since Reggie at Tennessee. The man was huge, powerful, and amazingly athletic. He was a leader, tough and very dedicated. I think if he played his senior year, he would have gone in the top 5.

He was worth the risk in my opinion - especially in that draft. There was little talent selected after him in the first round.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a huge Harrell fan, I thought he would be a dominating pro. If he had a knee injury in college and it continued as a pro, that would have been one thing. But he developed a back injury while working out, and its what did him in.

He was the only player to ever wear #92 since Reggie at Tennessee. The man was huge, powerful, and amazingly athletic. He was a leader, tough and very dedicated. I think if he played his senior year, he would have gone in the top 5.

He was worth the risk in my opinion - especially in that draft. There was little talent selected after him in the first round.

I agree with you. The guy had a ton of potential and should have been a beast. With that said, he had a horrible pro career. He was always injured and regularly out of shape. It was a bad pick.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score

Hindsight is 20/20, I suppose, but I honestly never liked the pick. Talent truly means nothing if you're not available, something that McCarthy preaches as a mantra. As far as little talent selected after him, what about: Leon Hall, Michael Griffin, Aaron Ross, Dwayne Bowe, Brandon Meriweather, Jon Beason, Anthony Spencer, Joe Staley, Ben Grubbs, Greg Olsen. Even in the second there were guys like Eric Weddle, Zach Miller, Chris Houston, Sidney Rice, LAMARR WOODLEY, David Harris, Eric Wright, Ryan Kalil. A few in the 3rd: Ryan Harris, Charles Johnson, etc. Man the Panther's had a nice draft in 2007. Almost all of those players have had decent careers at worst and some are elite talent.

It was clearly a huge mistake, but whatever. They happen and will happen again. It's part of the game. Fortunately for the Packer's, Ted drafts well in all rounds, minimizing the importance of first round picks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts