2011 Draft

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sat next to 4 scouts at the wisc purdue game (none for the green and gold) and would have picked their brains but they looked stressed and busy. Wish I knew they were scouts b4 the game.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We do need a running back for sure. During the past draft I was kind of hoping we picked up LaGarrett Blount. I know he is not exactly the kind of RB that fits our system perfectly but when I watched some highlights this past week I saw the guy hurdle a would be tackler and make some good yardage. Just because he is like 245 lbs does not mean he is slow either.

Anyhow.....OLB in the first or second round to help Matthews out is what I am looking for.

Yes sir! Packers need that pass rusher opposite Matthews... give defensive coordinators nightmares.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes sir! Packers need that pass rusher opposite Matthews... give defensive coordinators nightmares.

If you want to find a guy who will be a great pass rusher you have to look at a few things first.

240lbs (size)
4.69 40yd (speed)
1.60 10yd OR 4.20 20yd shuttle (initial quickness)
35in vertical (explosion)
7.30 3-cone (COD)

As of right now the guys who will have the combination of size and speed to fit these criteria are slim.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think picking for a specific position is not a good idea for the draft. Yet I do feel that an emphasis should be made on the most needed positions. For example, if Green Bay is on the clock and both Anthony Castonzo (OT, Boston College) and Bruce Carter (OLB, North Carolina) are available, I would hope they go with Carter.

This example is purely hypothetical. Yet no one can dispute that the Packers could use quality help at both the offensive line and OLB/edge pass rush. I think the most sound strategy for the Packers would be to continue to take the best available player, but with strong emphasis on the positions that are the weakest.

At this moment in the season, I don't think the Pack should take a WR at all in the draft, unless there is some kind of steal available like 1-2 round talent available in the 3-4 rounds. Remember, a healthy Jermichael Finley makes every receiver we already have a lot better.

I feel the Pack's needs are as follows:

1. CB- I think one more good corner would provide needed depth and youth and ensure a strong secondary for several more seasons.

2. OLB/Edge Pass rush- Another Clay Matthews opposit Clay Matthews would be perfect, yet it might be impossible/illegal to clone him. I would prefer an OLB prospect who has good all around OLB skills (Coverage, Run Support, instincts, etc), yet he must have serious speed and pass rushing ability.

3. OL- I think that the O-line needs a really physical, bruising type addition. A tackle would be preferred over a guard, but I think a "take no prisoners" type attitude would help the overall line play.

4. RB- I think Grant is great. I have no issues with him. I know that a portion of the adequate running game we have is due to our offensive line as well. Yet I think the Pack would benefit from a good change of pace type back. Grant has great consistency. Let him maul defenses and wear them down, then spell him with a back that has greater speed and quickness. Granted, this need may disappear altogether if Starks or Nance show some good ability.

I know that it is early in the season and things do change. Yet aside from some off season FA signings I don't see the first 3 needs changing very much. If Green Bay can get another stud OLB pass rusher, a skilled young cover corner, and an offensive lineman with some killer instinct in the next draft, I think they take a great first step in staying very competitive for a long time.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the above being said, this is who I like so far in no particular order. I tried to avoid underclassmen/undeclared for the most part as who knows if they will even be an option at all.

CB- Curtis Brown (Texas), Rashad Carmichael (Virginia Tech), Johnny Patrick (Louisville), Davon House (New Mexico State), and Jimmy Smith (Colorado). Prince Amukamara of Nebraska would be nice too, but he will be gone when Green Bay has their first pick.

OLB- Von Miller (Texas A&M), Steven Friday (Virginia Tech), Akeem Ayers (UCLA-doubt we have a shot at him), Bruce Carter (North Carolina). Dontay Moch of Nevada may be worth a look if he is around in the later rounds. His speed is rediculous for his position.

OT- Anthony Castonzo (Boston College-doubt we have a shot at him), Gabe Carimi (Wisconsin), Derek Sherrod (Miss State-also not likely to be around), Joseph Barksdale (Louisiana State), Marcus Cannon (TCU)

OG- Mike Pouncey (Florida), John Moffit (Wisconsin), Stephen Schilling (Michigan), Clint Boling (Georgia), Will Rackley (Lehigh), Orlando Franklin (Miami), Benjamin Ijalana (Vilanova).

RB- Shane Vereen (Cal), Kendall Hunter (Oklahoma State), Derrick Locke (kentucky), Baron Batch (Texas Tech), Demarco Murray (Oklahoma), Mikel Leshoure (Illinois), Roy Helu (Nebraska), Delone Carter (Syracuse), Da'Rel Scott (Maryland).

I know its quite a list. Those are just several guys at the positions I think Green Bay needs to address come the next draft. The guys below aren't organized by position, they are just guys I really really like from what I have seen so far this season in college football.

1. Owen Marecic- ILB/FB-Stanford-This dude is a beast. Pro level skills on both sides of the ball. Perfect work ethic and attitude. I don't even care if he played fullback or ILB for the Pack, I just think he is a great fit. Besides, he is the type of player TT and MM like.

2. Lee Ziemba- OG-Auburn- I like him in the later rounds. Good OLine skills and size. Super durable and a good work ethic.

3. Jalil Brown- CB-Colorado- I dig this guy. He is a little big for TT and MM's preference but I think he could be a steal late.

4. Casey Matthews- ILB-Oregon- Why the hell not? He should be around late in the draft. He is no slouch. Besides, maybe his big brother shows him how to tap into the insanity that is the Matthews family LB skills, and Casey becomes the ILB compliment to Clay!

I'm not sure about the first or second round guys. Grading that talent is so difficult. Its very hit or miss to pick a player in those two rounds that live up to that draft status. I would be happy with Von Miller, Prince Amukamura, Derek Sherrod, Nate Solder, or Bruce Carter in the first round. I'd be happy with Jeremy Beal, Curtis Brown, Marcus Cannon, Davon House, Orlando Franklin, or Gabe Carimi in the second round.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I really, really like Dontay Moch now that you bring him up. 6'1", 245, and 4.2-4.3 speed.

He's played end at Nevada, though, which scares me. But if anybody in this draft has the physical gifts to make the switch, he does. Certainly worthy of a later round flier if he's there, because he has the potential to be a freak.

At the very least if he ends up sucking at linebacker he'd almost certainly be a great special teamer with that combo of size and speed.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really, really like Dontay Moch now that you bring him up. 6'1", 245, and 4.2-4.3 speed.

He's played end at Nevada, though, which scares me. But if anybody in this draft has the physical gifts to make the switch, he does. Certainly worthy of a later round flier if he's there, because he has the potential to be a freak.

At the very least if he ends up sucking at linebacker he'd almost certainly be a great special teamer with that combo of size and speed.

He is one of my favs as well. Runs a 4.38e. Should be around in the second or third round.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will go BPA.

But what I would like the most is an OLB to complement Clay Matthews, a great Olinemen, and a great RB.

But I trust the management. Who's to say that Zombo and Jones don't turn into great players? Who's to say that we don't already have the solution in T.J. Lang and Marshall Newhouse? Jackson is improving each game, we have Grant, and Starks is there.

Truth is, we have youngsters in every position, guys that could turn to be very good.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that we have a lot of young guys who could end up being great. I am ok with that. I just think that with Woodson's age, another young corner is a good idea. I think we have both Saftey positions covered. I just think that you can never have too much young talent, especially at the positions I mentioned. I think that unless the BPA is a WR or NT or QB or whatever and its very obvious, then the Pack should stay away. I think that going into training camp with extra LBs/DBs and OLineman is sound strategy. Our offensive pieces are already set for the most part. I think an upgrade to our offensive line would have the most impact for our offense. Yet I also think that with success we have had with the players we do have, I think the Pack can afford a little wheeling and dealing a bit more in the next draft. Maybe they should take a page out of the Patriot handbook and keep an eye out for teams who want to trade up or acquire an additional 2nd round pick. Either way, I think the draft will be pretty interesting with how many players we have coming back from IR.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for busts, I am not sure. I think JaQuizz (or however you spell it) Rodgers is a bust at RB. He might turn out to be a decent return guy or scatback like Sproles is for San Diego. I just don't think he has the size or body to stand up to the punishment as an NFL RB.

Oklahoma_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hope we take Von Miller in the first round (If he's still available). To have him on the other side of CM3 would make our already good pass rush even better.

But if by some miracle Patrick Peterson, or Prince Amukamara fall to us, then we will surely take one of them. I highly doubt they will fall to us, but last year I didn't think Bulaga would fall to us, but he did. So I guess you never know.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hope we take Von Miller in the first round (If he's still available). To have him on the other side of CM3 would make our already good pass rush even better.

But if by some miracle Patrick Peterson, or Prince Amukamara fall to us, then we will surely take one of them. I highly doubt they will fall to us, but last year I didn't think Bulaga would fall to us, but he did. So I guess you never know.

Von Miller would be perfect for us. He has a high motor, good size, and great speed for an edge rusher with an estimated 4.56 40! That's CM3-like speed folks!

Miller has issues against the run and in coverage tho since he was primarily utilized as a rusher on all downs. He might not be strong enough to take on OTs in the NFL either.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
Luck is advanced in terms of poise and pocket presence, especially surprising for a redshirt sophomore. He has all the physical tools, yes, but he also has everything above the shoulders an NFL quarterback must possess. He goes through his progressions, moves defenders with his eyes and makes great decisions. He also has been in Stanford's pro-style offense for three years, making him more prepared than most college quarterbacks to enter the NFL. He is reminiscent of the Colts' Peyton Manning and the Falcons' Matt Ryan when they entered the league.

2. Da'quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
Many defensive linemen struggle during their rookie seasons, but Bowers has uncommon athleticism, size and strength. Bowers, a junior, also shows surprisingly advanced hand usage and technique. He has improved with every season and is a consistent playmaker. He has the pass-rush skills to make an instant impact as a 4-3 end and also has the frame to be a productive 3-4 end. Most young pass rushers win with either speed or power, but Bowers already can beat NFL blockers with both.

3. Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
He lacks jaw-dropping speed and could struggle early against elite speed receivers, but his technique, instincts and coverage skills should allow him to neutralize most NFL receivers. Amukamara has been assigned to every No. 1 receiver Nebraska has faced for years, so he is prepared. Some evaluators will bad-mouth him for that lack of elite speed, but he is certain to be a top-line NFL starter early in his career.

4. Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
Clayborn lacks the explosiveness to be a dominant pass rusher, but he has the height at 6-3, long arms, athleticism, strength and competitiveness to be a productive 3-4 end. He won't get much publicity because 3-4 ends never become stars, but he will be a strong and consistently productive NFL player from Day 1, especially against the run.

5. Anthony Castonzo, T, Boston College
Many rookie tackles play right away in the NFL, and Castonzo has the tools to do the same. He is quick and has top-level athleticism to slide outside and protect the edge against NFL speed rushers. He is technically sound and should be a productive pass protector as a rookie. In comparison to some recently successful high picks, Castonzo is more athletic than the Miami Dolphins' Jake Long, the Atlanta Falcons' Sam Baker and the Green Bay Packers' Bryan Bulaga, and has better technique than the San Francisco 49ers' Joe Staley.

6. Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina
Carter isn't an explosive edge rusher in the class of Robert Quinn or Von Miller, but he is more prepared to make an immediate impact. Carter has the athleticism and speed to chase down ballcarriers all over the field. He also is strong and uses his hands well to shed blockers. He has the instincts to read plays quickly. He will rack up tackles as a rookie -- he just won't make many game-changing plays. He will remind some of the Kansas City Chiefs' Derrick Johnson and the Houston Texans' Brian Cushing.

7. Stefan Wisniewski, C, Penn State
Wisniewski is super smart and technically sound with the athleticism to start at center or guard as a rookie. He handled several big and strong Big Ten defensive tackles, which should prepare him well for life in the NFL. Unlike many college centers, Wisniewski is a good athlete who blocks effectively in the open field and as a pass protector. Wisniewski will need to get stronger, however, to become a dominant blocker.

(* -- underclassman)
1. Carolina Panthers: Andrew Luck*, QB, Stanford
2. Detroit Lions: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
3. Cincinnati Bengals: Da'Quan Bowers*, DE, Clemson
4. Buffalo Bills: Jake Locker, QB, Washington
5. Arizona Cardinals: Ryan Mallett*, QB, Arkansas
6. Denver Broncos: Nick Fairley*, DT, Auburn
7. Dallas Cowboys: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
8. San Francisco 49ers: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
9. Minnesota Vikings: Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal
10. Cleveland Browns: A.J. Green*, WR, Georgia
11. Seattle Seahawks: Julio Jones*, WR, Alabama
12. New England Patriots (from Oakland Raiders): Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
13. Washington Redskins: Jonathan Baldwin*, WR, Pitt
14. Tennessee Titans: Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State
15. Houston Texans: Patrick Peterson*, CB, LSU
16. San Diego Chargers: Robert Quinn*, OLB, North Carolina
17. Indianapolis Colts: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
18. Miami Dolphins: Stefen Wisniewski, C, Penn State
19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
20. Green Bay Packers: DeMarcus Love, OT, Arkansas
21. St. Louis Rams: Michael Floyd*, WR, Notre Dame
22. Jacksonville Jaguars: Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami (Fla.)
23. Kansas City Chiefs: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
24. New York Giants: Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina
25. Philadelphia Eagles: Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
26. Chicago Bears: Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy
27. New Orleans Saints: Ryan Williams*, RB, Virginia Tech
28. Baltimore Ravens: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
29. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson
30. New England Patriots: Mark Ingram*, RB, Alabama
31. New York Jets: Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina
32. Atlanta Falcons: Ryan Broyles*, WR, Oklahoma

Sporting News Mock Draft

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Luck is advanced in terms of poise and pocket presence, especially surprising for a redshirt sophomore. He has all the physical tools, yes, but he also has everything above the shoulders an NFL quarterback must possess. He goes through his progressions, moves defenders with his eyes and makes great decisions. He also has been in Stanford's pro-style offense for three years, making him more prepared than most college quarterbacks to enter the NFL. He is reminiscent of the Colts' Peyton Manning and the Falcons' Matt Ryan when they entered the league.

Many defensive linemen struggle during their rookie seasons, but Bowers has uncommon athleticism, size and strength. Bowers, a junior, also shows surprisingly advanced hand usage and technique. He has improved with every season and is a consistent playmaker. He has the pass-rush skills to make an instant impact as a 4-3 end and also has the frame to be a productive 3-4 end. Most young pass rushers win with either speed or power, but Bowers already can beat NFL blockers with both.

He lacks jaw-dropping speed and could struggle early against elite speed receivers, but his technique, instincts and coverage skills should allow him to neutralize most NFL receivers. Amukamara has been assigned to every No. 1 receiver Nebraska has faced for years, so he is prepared. Some evaluators will bad-mouth him for that lack of elite speed, but he is certain to be a top-line NFL starter early in his career.

Clayborn lacks the explosiveness to be a dominant pass rusher, but he has the height at 6-3, long arms, athleticism, strength and competitiveness to be a productive 3-4 end. He won't get much publicity because 3-4 ends never become stars, but he will be a strong and consistently productive NFL player from Day 1, especially against the run.

Many rookie tackles play right away in the NFL, and Castonzo has the tools to do the same. He is quick and has top-level athleticism to slide outside and protect the edge against NFL speed rushers. He is technically sound and should be a productive pass protector as a rookie. In comparison to some recently successful high picks, Castonzo is more athletic than the Miami Dolphins' Jake Long, the Atlanta Falcons' Sam Baker and the Green Bay Packers' Bryan Bulaga, and has better technique than the San Francisco 49ers' Joe Staley.

Carter isn't an explosive edge rusher in the class of Robert Quinn or Von Miller, but he is more prepared to make an immediate impact. Carter has the athleticism and speed to chase down ballcarriers all over the field. He also is strong and uses his hands well to shed blockers. He has the instincts to read plays quickly. He will rack up tackles as a rookie -- he just won't make many game-changing plays. He will remind some of the Kansas City Chiefs' Derrick Johnson and the Houston Texans' Brian Cushing.

Wisniewski is super smart and technically sound with the athleticism to start at center or guard as a rookie. He handled several big and strong Big Ten defensive tackles, which should prepare him well for life in the NFL. Unlike many college centers, Wisniewski is a good athlete who blocks effectively in the open field and as a pass protector. Wisniewski will need to get stronger, however, to become a dominant blocker.

(* -- underclassman)

I forsee sooo many issues with this mock it will take some time to type it all out.

1. Where is Patrick Peterson the CB from LSU in the top 5? The HOFer in the making? If anyone should be a top 3 pick as a lock...it would be him.

2. Jake Locker has been falling like a rock on boards. His accuracy battles may keep him out of the first round...although he will dazzle at the combine.

3. Costanzo has been loosing ground for a while now. Once a pre-season award favorite, he has been passed up by other senior OTs such as Derek Sherrod and Nate Solder. He is likely to be a late first/early 2nd round pick.

4. Clayborn is another guy who has been falling and may find himself out of the first if enough talented underclassen declare early. At this point, both Jordan and Carrigan have passed him up on the board for DEs.

5. Jon Baldwin is a HUGE reach here in the first round. He has been injured this season and there are several other juniors in a weak senior WR class who are simply more talented and have a larger upside. This includes Michael Floyd, Ryan Broyles, and Torrey Smith.

6. Ponder is another player dropping and isn't even first round talent. 2nd round at best.

7. Robert Quinn has been dropping as well. Lucky if he goes in the 2nd round.

8. Paea is more like a late first round player or early 2nd. A reach here to the Colts.

MORE TO COME LATER

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score

(* -- underclassman)

Sporting News Mock Draft

Continuing from my previous post:

9. 18 may not be the best value pick for Wisniewski because of his present 2nd round grade. However, someone taking him later in the first may be a bit more feasible.

10. Sherrod should go a lot earlier than this as he is considered to be the best OT of the senior class.

11. Love is another reach here in the middle to late first round. His stock would put him somewhere closer to the late first or early second.

12. Hankerson is the best Sr. WR this year, but that isn't saying much. His second round grade BEFORE the juniors declare will not help. You can imagine him falling more once those underclassmen come in. 3rd rounder at best.

13. Bruce Carter should be LONG GONE by this pick at 24. If he backs up that estimated 4.57 40 time he may even go top 15.

14. Ras-I Dowling has been dropping severely lately. He has had injuries this year which will be a major concern. The junior class of CBs is amazing this year and he is presently a late 2nd/early 3rd round prospect. Expect him to fall more, possibly into the 4th round as a result.

15. See #12 for Jernigan. If he is a late 2nd/early 3rd now, you can only imagine how far down he will drop in April.

16. Ryan Williams is on the rise, but is only the 3rd best back in the 2013 class (r-shirt so.) so he may not be the best back to take here.

17. Kerrigan should be long gone by this pick at 28.

18. Big reach with Jenkins...more of a late 2nd/early 3rd at this point.

19. Ingram is still the best overall junior RB...and that still puts him miles ahead of the best Sr. RB, DeMarco Murray. He should be gone by this point and should go ahead of other backs on the board.

20. Austin has been dropping for a variety of reasons. His drop has already taken him back into the 2nd round.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I'm more sold on Casey Matthews every time I watch Oregon play. I don't think he'll be a first round pick, so he could be a good value pick somewhere after round 1.

And I'm not just saying that because he's Clay's brother. Casey makes plays. A lot.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm more sold on Casey Matthews every time I watch Oregon play. I don't think he'll be a first round pick, so he could be a good value pick somewhere after round 1.

And I'm not just saying that because he's Clay's brother. Casey makes plays. A lot.

I know clay has some cousins playin D1 ftball but I know next to nothing about them.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score

At this point Casey is a late 4th rounder at best. Now, that will change when the underclassmen declare, so he may not even be drafted at all. Right now, he is the 6th best ILB on our board.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
At this point Casey is a late 4th rounder at best. Now, that will change when the underclassmen declare, so he may not even be drafted at all. Right now, he is the 6th best ILB on our board.
Good. The later the round, the better.

And if he goes undrafted, I can't see a reason he wouldn't want to come play with his brother.

jhutch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Theres no way he goes undrafted. Im guessing hell be gone by the 3rd. Someone will take a chance on him just bcuz of his name.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Theres no way he goes undrafted. Im guessing hell be gone by the 3rd. Someone will take a chance on him just bcuz of his name.

A lot will depend upon how he tests at his pro day because it is unlikely he will even get to go to the combine in Indy. His athleticism is marginal at best for an ILB presently as he only runs a 4.78e. Unless he chops a tenth off of that in the spring, he may go undrafted. Most NFL teams don't like that lack of speed at MLB, but it is more forgiveable than being that slow at OLB on either side.

The other thing stacked against him is the junior class at his position. If he is a late 4th rounder NOW, he will drop further once guys like Wilson, Upshaw, Galippo, Franklin, Williams, Johnson, Cole and Marve declare before Jan. 15th.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I don't see him being taken earlier than the 4th unless someone reaches due to his pedigree. I think every year I get more and more excited about the draft. I'm always pumped for football season but I have only been following the draft for the last 6 or 7 years. Every year I watch more college ball and pay more attention to the prospects. I think the last 3 years have been the biggest for me in terms of college ball and the draft. I've been stationed in Texas and Lousiana over that time, and college ball is insane massive huge rediculous important down here.

Members online

Latest posts