2011 Draft

MelrosE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give me Justin Houston or Von Miller in the first round. We absolutely NEED a rush opposite of Matthews. 2nd round, if Carimi is there; no doubt, take him, otherwise CB (Brandon Harris, Dowling, Williams(TX). 3rd Round OT/OG preferably John Moffit. Colledge needs a replacement IMO.

The rest: best player available. Wouldn't mind getting a quick PR/KR or a big physical receiver.

MelrosE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine if we got Casey Matthews... The flowing hair we would have in our LB corps. Boths Matthews, Barnett, Hawk, and Chillar. Now all we need to do is get Bishop to grow some rows out and cut Poppinga because he flat out sucks.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2bIixBADiw]YouTube - Top 10 Inside Linebacker NFL draft 2011 1.0[/ame]

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still going with an OLB opposite Mathews and offensive line depth. Clifton is getting up in years and Tauscher is done. As shown in the Lions game, the depth behind College is sub-par.

The defensive line will be alright next year when Neal and Jenkins are healty. CJ Wilson looks like he could produce when given the chance.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give me Justin Houston or Von Miller in the first round. We absolutely NEED a rush opposite of Matthews. 2nd round, if Carimi is there; no doubt, take him, otherwise CB (Brandon Harris, Dowling, Williams(TX). 3rd Round OT/OG preferably John Moffit. Colledge needs a replacement IMO.

The rest: best player available. Wouldn't mind getting a quick PR/KR or a big physical receiver.

Justin Hoston doesn't fit the mold of a good edge rusher for us because he is a bit too slow at this point...unless he surprises and tests a bit better if he declares. Like I have said in previous posts here, you can't expect an edge rusher to be effective as a pass rusher unless he has sub 4.70 speed. Houston has NOT proven that he posesses that. Not saying that he couldn't, but it is far less likely. In fact, Houston isn't even a first round talent at this point. He is the 4th best Jr OLB on our board and wouldn't be closer unless he shows that speed. Von Miller, however, DOES posess that speed that we could use and IS a first rounder unless he tests poorly.

Carimi is on the rise, but is a late first rounder at best and early second rounder at worst...at this point anyway. If the draft was today, he would be out of reach.

This is the year of the CB but I am not sure some of those 3 guys you listed would be great in the 2nd round. Dowling is falling like a stone due to injuries in may fall out of the first 3 rounds and Harris is a sure-fire 1st if he declares. Williams may be solid, but I wouldn't take him ahead of the 3rd round at this point. I would look instead at Jenkins, Burton, Minnifield, House, or Brown. Personally, if it was me making that pick out of those 5, I would take Brown from Texas.

If you want an OG/OT in the 3rd round, Moffitt would be good value so long as it is in the late 3rd at this point. He may be a bit too slow for our scheme, however. For this reason I would prefer Schilling as an OG in the 3rd or DeChristopher, Datko, or Watkins at OT/OG.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Von Miller, however, DOES posess that speed that we could use and IS a first rounder unless he tests poorly.

Carimi is on the rise, but is a late first rounder at best and early second rounder at worst...at this point anyway. If the draft was today, he would be out of reach.

If you want an OG/OT in the 3rd round, Moffitt would be good value so long as it is in the late 3rd at this point. He may be a bit too slow for our scheme, however. For this reason I would prefer Schilling as an OG in the 3rd or DeChristopher, Datko, or Watkins at OT/OG.
I like Von Miller but doubt he'll be there for us. I also love the idea of Carimi but also don't think he's there.
I don't look at Guard as any kind of need as they have some good tackles who can play as guards in the ZBS.
In all scenarios, I like to think we can improve the O-line. Since we have a pro bowl quarterback who gets hit, since we have running backs who will never gain yardage without a chance to even get to the line of scrimmage without hitting a defender...
I hope that regardless of BPA, they get some more O-Line help. I believe that James Starks is the future of the Packers running game.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Von Miller but doubt he'll be there for us. I also love the idea of Carimi but also don't think he's there.
I don't look at Guard as any kind of need as they have some good tackles who can play as guards in the ZBS.
In all scenarios, I like to think we can improve the O-line. Since we have a pro bowl quarterback who gets hit, since we have running backs who will never gain yardage without a chance to even get to the line of scrimmage without hitting a defender...
I hope that regardless of BPA, they get some more O-Line help. I believe that James Starks is the future of the Packers running game.

It all comes down to the juniors who declare. Miller is argueably the ONLY 1st round talent available at OLB right now. However, if Ayers, Brown, and Lewis declare, he could slide. The same goes for Carimi, and he isn't even the top OT in this class as of today! I would put Sherrod and Solder ahead of him and possibly Smith and Potter if they declare. He is a late 1st round guy now, so he could fall out of that round.

Reaction score
Here is a list of Players I like and would love to have: Ashlon Jefferies, Von MIller, Casey Matthews, Owen Marecic, Armon Binns and Doug Baldwin. The last four I have seen A LOT of. I live in cincy so I see a lot of Binns and I follow Stanford so I see a lot of Baldwin and Marecic. I just tried to stay away from the big names I want like Green, Fairly and Prince. I agree that we NEED a stud pass rusher on the opposite side of the claymaker. I think o line is fine with Bulaga taking over a LT if clifton is done and Lang at RT. We need to D up and I would love a big nasty WR like Green but thats just a dream lol

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is a list of Players I like and would love to have: Ashlon Jefferies, Von MIller, Casey Matthews, Owen Marecic, Armon Binns and Doug Baldwin. The last four I have seen A LOT of. I live in cincy so I see a lot of Binns and I follow Stanford so I see a lot of Baldwin and Marecic. I just tried to stay away from the big names I want like Green, Fairly and Prince. I agree that we NEED a stud pass rusher on the opposite side of the claymaker. I think o line is fine with Bulaga taking over a LT if clifton is done and Lang at RT. We need to D up and I would love a big nasty WR like Green but thats just a dream lol

First of all, it looks like Green is coming out as a junior:

Georgia receiver heading for the NFL | ProFootballTalk

Second, here is my analysis on the guys you listed:

Alshon Jeffery: The #1 Soph. prospect at WR. However he is not a REDSHIRT Soph, so he is not eligible to be drafted this year (you have to be out of HS for 3 seasons). Otherwise, he is better than Blackmon from Oklahoma State in our opinion at NFLDS.

Von Miller: The top senior OLB in this class and the prototype rush OLB in the 3-4 defense. Has great speed for an OLB (estimated 4.56 40). Good size for a rush OLB 6-2, 243). Middle first rounder at best.

Casey Matthews: An ILB prospect with marginal athleticism for the position (4.78 40). Average size for an ILB in the 3-4 (6-1, 238). Late 4th rounder at best.

Owen Marecic - 2nd best FB prospect in the senior class. Average speed for a FB (4.78 40). Good size (6-1, 245). 4th rounder at best.

Armon Binns - 5th round prospect in the best case scenario in a deep WR class. 15th best senior WR overall with average speed (4.56 40). Good size however (6-3, 205).

Doug Badwin - Possibly a Free Agent prospect (51st best senior WR). Average speed (4.54 40), but not a huge target (5-10, 190).

Those big names like Green, Fairly, and Prince will be gone by our pick for certain.

Reaction score
Indeed they will and you popped in with a nice info drop. The one player I have a man crush on is the one man we for sure have NO chance at or need and that is Andrew Luck. I love draft time because I love to talk propects but its hard to find people who wanna talk football as much as me lol. Damn I didnt' even realize that about Jefferies. OH well time to continue to scout the talent.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I am not high on him as he was once the top prospect at OLB in the senior class, but has now dropped considerably. He just had reconstructive surgery on his Knee (ACL) and won't be ready to do any participation at any level until next fall. He had good speed (4.57) but was a bit small to be an OLB in the 3-4 as he is only 6-3, 235. Keep in mind Matthews was a 'slim' 245lbs when he was drafted.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not high on him as he was once the top prospect at OLB in the senior class, but has now dropped considerably. He just had reconstructive surgery on his Knee (ACL) and won't be ready to do any participation at any level until next fall. He had good speed (4.57) but was a bit small to be an OLB in the 3-4 as he is only 6-3, 235. Keep in mind Matthews was a 'slim' 245lbs when he was drafted.

its SIs top 10 players at LBer, not just one player!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand that, but it would be great if you offered some analysis outside of simply copying and posting a link.

If you really did understand that, which I dont think you did, then why would you just post what you think on one player instead of the list as a whole?

Good job jumping to conclusions, I was going to post my thoughts on each player on the list.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you really did understand that, which I dont think you did, then why would you just post what you think on one player instead of the list as a whole?

Good job jumping to conclusions, I was going to post my thoughts on each player on the list.

I am still waiting for your analysis. I gave my thoughts on one player, and some info you most likely did not know.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am still waiting for your analysis. I gave my thoughts on one player, and some info you most likely did not know.

:rotfl: Analysis? Thats what you call that? That he is injured and small? Yeah no one knew that. I bet you watched alot of tape to figure that out. You should work for ESPN

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:rotfl: Analysis? Thats what you call that? That he is injured and small? Yeah no one knew that. I bet you watched alot of tape to figure that out. You should work for ESPN

I threw in what was necessary to consider him as a player for our draft, per the topic title.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I threw in what was necessary to consider him as a player for our draft, per the topic title.

real quick,

how much weight does size hold with you in terms of how you rate players?

I personally like ranking players at positions more than I do a mock draft since its so up in the air who goes and who stays at this point in the year. Each their own.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
real quick,

how much weight does size hold with you in terms of how you rate players?

I personally like ranking players at positions more than I do a mock draft since its so up in the air who goes and who stays at this point in the year. Each their own.

Well there are several factors to consider.

The ratio of height, weight, and speed as physical attributes does, in fact, correlate to success in the NFL. Now, for every Jerry Rice or Emmitt Smith you throw out as guys who were not fast, but rather had great technique, I can name THOUSANDS who lacked both and didn't even get a shot. The simple fact is that you do need physical attributes in order to compete at the NFL level. I would say that this is about 1 of 20 categories for analyzing talent, but it makes up roughly 20% of the overall analysis...at least that is what they teach you at NFLDS.

Ranking players at a position is easy. I think that you get a better view of the VALUE of a player in a draft sense by at least throwing a round of value in with a name. That is saying that there are indeed differences between a guy like Von Miller who has a 1st round grade and a guy like Bruce Carter who only has a 3rd round grade. There are reasons stock fall and rise from now until April, but you are always trying to maximize value like Thompson likes to do.

As for things being up in the air, that's a yes and no. It's a yes because its hard to determine who goes to what team EXACTLY. Guys who do professional mocks find it better to select the top 255 or so who do get drafted of about 4000 prospects each year...then you can break it down by round. How many guys of the 32 that went in the first round did you have going in the first round? How many in the entire draft. Last year I personally had 27/32 in the first round, which isn't bad.

Members online

Latest posts