2010 Draft - Round 5, Pick 38, Overall Pick 169: Marshall Newhouse

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Packers picked Marshall Newhouse for their fifth pick in the draft. DISCUSS!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Marshall Newhouse (OT)
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 319 lbs.
Arm Length: 34 in.
Hand Size: 10 1/4 in.
College: TCU
Conference: Mountain West

Pick Analysis:
The Packers continue to add developmental offensive tackles. With starters Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher aging, Green Bay clearly wants to groom some young players as eventual replacements. Newhouse has outstanding measurables, and possesses impressive athleticism given his size, but needs improvement in recognizing blitzes and finishing his blocks.

Overview:
Newhouse comes from a strong football family but does not show the kind of instincts and mental awareness than you'd expect from someone with that kind of background. As long as the defensive front plays pretty vanilla in terms of stunts and twists, he shows no hesitations or indecision, but he can be late to react and adjust when he sees something for the first time. He shows good initial quickness and speed but struggles when he has to adjust on the move or react to counter moves. He was a quality starter at left tackle for the past three years at TCU but will probably find a better fit inside at guard at the next level.

Strengths:
Marshall is tall enough with a thick build. Has a good first step and the speed to make blocks at the second level. Maintains a wide base and uses his hands to push edge rushers past the pocket. Three-year starter at TCU.

Weaknesses:
Lacks the lateral agility to make blocks in space and struggles to get into position after counter moves. Does not consistently recognize stunts and blitzes and misses his blocking assignments too often. Lacks a mean streak and does not always finish blocks.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My friend who is a offensive linemen guru says he is a horse. I asked if he has started potential now... he said possibly.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive heard good things about him, about how crazy big he is and he's a mauler. Let's wait and see, but what I do remember is that a lot of people had him going to the raiders, I dont know if thats a good thing or bad thing.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I thought this was an awesome pick. He's a very underrated guy and if Bulaga doesn't pan out then Newhouse could definitely take over. I just hope that TT doesn't pull a Jamon Meredith on him by cutting him after the preseason. Newhouse is very similar to Meredith in that both lack a mean streak.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its very much a TT pick since he is versatile at the line. So we are all in agreement that Lee and Giacomini are headed out right? So do you guys think anyone else on the line might be gone as well?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see with the media interviews he is very polite. Gotta love the yes sir no sir

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two Tackles in the draft, I love it. Don't know that either will pan out but at least we have the possiblity and competition on the O-line. This makes sense with Spitz coming back from a back injury and Colledge having his issues.

IMO if thes guys have a good camp we have just added depth to the O-line, something we did not have last year.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I made a post earlier saying we MUST draft marshall newhouse, this guy is gonna be either our next LG or RG, he is a beast.

A. Rodgers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
our line got THIS much better in one draft?!?!?!!? this is great. i love it :happy0005:

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its very much a TT pick since he is versatile at the line. So we are all in agreement that Lee and Giacomini are headed out right? So do you guys think anyone else on the line might be gone as well?
Agreed. Although Barber and Colledge might get kicked to the curb in some peoples minds.........I think both of them might play better if they stay in one spot for awhile.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Although Barber and Colledge might get kicked to the curb in some peoples minds.........I think both of them might play better if they stay in one spot for awhile.

Colledge is very inconsistent. Yes he's been moved around a bit but he's strictly a LG. Despite staying at that one spot he's still somewhat struggling. Barbre is just awful, but I'm wondering how he'll fare if he gets moved back to his natural LG position.

Recluse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I made a post earlier saying we MUST draft marshall newhouse, this guy is gonna be either our next LG or RG, he is a beast.

I think he'd make a better LG than LT. As far as the "mean streak," the NFL has a way of bringing that out in rookies/first-year lineman. He's pretty quick, and some good coaching will make him a Pro-Bowler within three years.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'd make a better LG than LT. As far as the "mean streak," the NFL has a way of bringing that out in rookies/first-year lineman. He's pretty quick, and some good coaching will make him a Pro-Bowler within three years.

He hasn't even been in an NFL contact drill yet, has not made the team, and we already know his best position and have him making the Pro Bowl? C'mon

Recluse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He hasn't even been in an NFL contact drill yet, has not made the team, and we already know his best position and have him making the Pro Bowl? C'mon

Yep. Watched him play a few games at Amon Carter Stadium this past year. He's a force. Pack used to be famous for developing offensive linemen. If this youngster had played for OU or Nebraska or Auburn, he A) would probably have been drafted a lot higher, and B) there would be little doubt as to his near to immediate future. Those schools are offensive lineman machines.

He's quick, has the right size, fast feet and the brains to put it all together. All he was missing at TCU was position coaching. He won't be missing that at Green Bay.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Wonder if He sent Sherrod a get well soon card... Maybe I'll like him better as a guard; we seem to have a penchant for picking tackles who play guard

Members online

Latest posts