2007 Detroit Lions R.I.P.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I guess that paper mache defense wasn't such a good idea after all....
"Paper Lion".
Anyone remember that? I can't remember his first name, but Plimpton was his last name. He went undercover and was allowed to play 4 downs as a QB for the Lions in a scrimmage. The players didn't know it was fake, and I don't think they gave him one yard in the 4 attempts he had.

Wow.....all that cause Greg said "paper mache" defense! Jogged my old memory i guess!LOL! :lol:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
"Paper Lion".
Anyone remember that? I can't remember his first name, but Plimpton was his last name. He went undercover and was allowed to play 4 downs as a QB for the Lions in a scrimmage. The players didn't know it was fake, and I don't think they gave him one yard in the 4 attempts he had.

Wow.....all that cause Greg said "paper mache" defense! Jogged my old memory i guess!LOL! :lol:

George. He was a comedian and a writer.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Greg C. said:
"Paper Lion".

George. He was a comedian and a writer.
THANK YOU!!! For the life of me, i couldn't remember his first name!
At least i got the last name though! LOL!
I saw the film of him when he did it, and the D was all over him. But hey, he gave it a shot!

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this was a funny comment from Don Banks of Sports Illustrated:

"I'm telling you, that Lions loss at Philly was so ugly it could get Wayne Fontes fired."

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I thought this was a funny comment from Don Banks of Sports Illustrated:

"I'm telling you, that Lions loss at Philly was so ugly it could get Wayne Fontes fired."
LOLOL!!! I like that!
Maybe it will get Joey Harrington fired too! :lol:

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow, counting out a team you haven't even played yet. that takes balls. This probably should have gone in the smack area considering it is based only on opinion and there is no truth to it whatsoever. we've only played one NFC north opponent and we won. so I guess we'll see after sunday how it looks against the bears. Now that wrecks isn't playing i am afraid though.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow, counting out a team you haven't even played yet. that takes balls. This probably should have gone in the smack area considering it is based only on opinion and there is no truth to it whatsoever. we've only played one NFC north opponent and we won. so I guess we'll see after sunday how it looks against the bears. Now that wrecks isn't playing i am afraid though.

I wasn't meaning to talk smack. This is a Packer site after all, so I figured a little sarcasm about the Lions wasn't going to upset anybody. The Lion fans I know feel exactly the same way about that loss as I do anyway. They're thinking, "Here we go again."

The Lion defense was really exposed. They were not a good defense last year and then they traded away their best player, Dre Bley, for more talent on the offensive side of the ball. That's not a recipe for success. But I haven't seen them enough to know what's really going on. Maybe they've got some young up-and-coming players who will improve during the season. I know they have a good LB, Sims, and a couple of good D-linemen. But beyond that, nobody has caught my eye when I've watched them.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the dre bly thing sucked. they didn't want to get rid of him, they had to. Rod is trying to build this team with players who want to be here, play football, and work together. We had to trade IMO our 2nd best defensive player because he was a cancer in the locker room. These aren't the "same old Lion's" yet. don't get me wrong, they certainly could be. the offense is great for a change. with Kevin Jones back we will develop a good running game IF and it's a big if, we aren't always playing catch up. The defense obviously is our weakness. The only hope we have against teams is to get pressure on qbs. otherwise we are toast (proven by philly)the O line also needs to gel. BAD. kitna can't win a game from being on his back 9 times. but when he has time, we kick ***. come on, 3 games and we already have almost a thousand yards passing. If "hot rod" doesn't coach up some of the defensive secondary though, we may never be able to stop anybody. time will tell.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the dre bly thing sucked. they didn't want to get rid of him, they had to. Rod is trying to build this team with players who want to be here, play football, and work together. We had to trade IMO our 2nd best defensive player because he was a cancer in the locker room. These aren't the "same old Lion's" yet. don't get me wrong, they certainly could be. the offense is great for a change. with Kevin Jones back we will develop a good running game IF and it's a big if, we aren't always playing catch up. The defense obviously is our weakness. The only hope we have against teams is to get pressure on qbs. otherwise we are toast (proven by philly)the O line also needs to gel. BAD. kitna can't win a game from being on his back 9 times. but when he has time, we kick ***. come on, 3 games and we already have almost a thousand yards passing. If "hot rod" doesn't coach up some of the defensive secondary though, we may never be able to stop anybody. time will tell.

I have this theory, which I've never heard mentioned elsewhere, that offensive-minded coaches tend to acquire defensive talent, while defensive-minded coaches tend to acquire offensive talent. I think this happens because they think they need talent on the "other" side of the ball, while they think they can coach up lesser talent on "their" side of the ball. Right now the Lions have a defensive guy, Marinelli, as coach, and their GM, Millen, played defense as well. So they're acquiring offensive talent but scrimping with the defense.

The best example of this is Brian Billick in Baltimore, with former TE Ozzie Newsome as GM. They've always acquired great defensive talent but tried to get by with less on offense, thinking Billick could get them to play over their heads. They won a Super Bowl that way, but they've struggled since then.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Marz had a lot to do with how our off season went. We were very close to building an offensive powerhouse Rod let Martz get the last few pieces of his puzzle. (qb of the future, # 2 receiver, 2 new offensive lineman, 2 proven RB's). but we left a lot of needs unanswered in the off season defensivly. I think you are right about why. Rod thinks he can "coach these guys up". problem is, we don't have that kind of time. lion's need to win and win now. we don't have time for a rebuild or to have guys coached up. The lion's are losing their fan base. We are tired of losing. all of us. If they make no progress this year lots of people will just give up. I'm one of them. many already have. It's pretty sad when i get more **** for wearing a lion's hat around Detroit than i have going to chicago or Cleveland or Columbus (which i am at VERY often). Seriously. "god, you still watch that garbage?" or "go lion's, and take the tigers with you.", or "god i gave up on them years ago." is all you ever here around Detroit when you wear lion's stuff. it's the old closet fan thing now. Fans have been wearing paper bags over their heads for years at the games. "fire millen" is the new catch phrase for everything in michigan. IF things don't get better soon, no one is going to care anymore.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Marz had a lot to do with how our off season went. We were very close to building an offensive powerhouse Rod let Martz get the last few pieces of his puzzle. (qb of the future, # 2 receiver, 2 new offensive lineman, 2 proven RB's). but we left a lot of needs unanswered in the off season defensivly. I think you are right about why. Rod thinks he can "coach these guys up". problem is, we don't have that kind of time. lion's need to win and win now. we don't have time for a rebuild or to have guys coached up. The lion's are losing their fan base. We are tired of losing. all of us. If they make no progress this year lots of people will just give up. I'm one of them. many already have. It's pretty sad when i get more **** for wearing a lion's hat around Detroit than i have going to chicago or Cleveland or Columbus (which i am at VERY often). Seriously. "god, you still watch that garbage?" or "go lion's, and take the tigers with you.", or "god i gave up on them years ago." is all you ever here around Detroit when you wear lion's stuff. it's the old closet fan thing now. Fans have been wearing paper bags over their heads for years at the games. "fire millen" is the new catch phrase for everything in michigan. IF things don't get better soon, no one is going to care anymore.

Well, at least there are the Pistons and Red Wings. I've been a Pistons fan since the mid-80s, before they were good, because we got the games on Channel 50 in my hometown. I'm not a hockey fan, but a friend of mine is, and we're going to see the Red Wings play the Black Hawks in Detroit on November 17th.

As for the Lions, I'm afraid the "win and win now" mentality is more likely to backfire than succeed. Millen was hired before he was ready for the job and wasted several years just learning how to do it. Now he is scrambling a bit, trying to play catchup, but without a solid base of personnel to build around. He seems to have found a good head coach, and he lucked into possibly the best offensive coordinator in the league, but it may be too little too late.

flep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say if there's one team that often starts poor and comes back it's the Eagles. We may be happy to of gotten them opening day

Great comment.

3 -0 now for us. I bet the eagles get in the playoffs

Members online

Latest posts