2005 draft picks

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never seen a draft when a playoff contending team keep so many of it's draft choices.
I am not saying it is all wrong. I just find it a bit interesting.
Of the 11 picks 10 of the players have made the team. The 11th Bragg may well end up on the practice squad. If not I think he will be signed by another team.
They have 5 picks that were drafted in the 5-7 rounds. These are the types of players that normally don't make the cut in such high numbers. For example there are only 7 other players on the current team that were drafted in the 5-7th rounds. And that covers 13 seasons.
So the real question is: did TT do THAT good of a job or is he serving notice that he wants his kind of players on the team?
Which leads to another question. Did MS do THAT poorly in prior drafts?

Reaction score
Slick, it actually is TT who has the final say, but he can't force his players on a coach so they coaches and TT talk it over extensivly. But regardless, TT has the final say. MS now has the final say on who starts where.

DeusNova

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather have youth who want to make a name for themsleves, as opposed to selfish individuals like Cletius Hunt.

I Imagine their a heck of alot cheaper too.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Slick, it actually is TT who has the final say, but he can't force his players on a coach so they coaches and TT talk it over extensivly. But regardless, TT has the final say. MS now has the final say on who starts where.

Yup.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
I have never seen a draft when a playoff contending team keep so many of it's draft choices.
Of the 11 picks 10 of the players have made the team. The 11th Bragg may well end up on the practice squad. If not I think he will be signed by another team.
They have 5 picks that were drafted in the 5-7 rounds. These are the types of players that normally don't make the cut in such high numbers. For example there are only 7 other players on the current team that were drafted in the 5-7th rounds. And that covers 13 seasons.
So the real question is: did TT do THAT good of a job or is he serving notice that he wants his kind of players on the team?

Lots of good points and observations. Hopefully it's a case where TT did a good job of drafting. If he did, he really got the shelves restocked quickly for the future while hopefully still being able to field a competitive team this year.

I think the Collins pick is a good omen about his draft in general. He looks like he's a player, when most of the national media blasted the pick when the Packers selected him. If TT was right about Collins while most people gave TT a poor draft grade for the pick, TT might be right about a few more of his draft choices that people weren't so high on. But it is unusual to have that many rookies make the roster like you pointed out.

OP
OP
W

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
Hopefully it's a case where TT did a good job of drafting. If he did, he really got the shelves restocked quickly for the future while hopefully still being able to field a competitive team this year.

I figured it would take at least 2 years and more than likely 3 to restock the shelves. Plus a little time for the youngsters to learn about life in the NFL. I sure hope they did it in 1.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps your giving Ted Thompson too much credit. Just for argument one could say that the talent was so depleted that it was easier for the draft picks to make it.

Rodgers, Murphy, Campbell, and Coston did not earn their positions. The others including Bragg getting a roster spot on the Jets did. Well Popinga is debatable.

It does not take much to beat a Sherman draft.

OP
OP
W

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Perhaps your giving Ted Thompson too much credit. Just for argument one could say that the talent was so depleted that it was easier for the draft picks to make it.

Rodgers, Murphy, Campbell, and Coston did not earn their positions. The others including Bragg getting a roster spot on the Jets did. Well Popinga is debatable.

It does not take much to beat a Sherman draft.

That was the basis of my real question(s). Are the changes for real or are they because the team had a lot of marginal players to begin with.

I don't get too upset when rookies "don't earn their positions". I think very few are able to come out of college and perform at an avg level or higher in the NFL. But they should be able to grow into in a season or two.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
wpr said:

Lots of good points and observations. Hopefully it's a case where TT did a good job of drafting. If he did, he really got the shelves restocked quickly for the future while hopefully still being able to field a competitive team this year.

I think the Collins pick is a good omen about his draft in general. He looks like he's a player, when most of the national media blasted the pick when the Packers selected him. If TT was right about Collins while most people gave TT a poor draft grade for the pick, TT might be right about a few more of his draft choices that people weren't so high on. But it is unusual to have that many rookies make the roster like you pointed out.

Most of the national media did blast the pick, but the Ravens (who might know a thing or two about defense) called right after the Packers took him and congratulated them on the excellent pick and that they were going to take him if the Pack did not. I would rather have another credible NFL team make a comment about a player than the national media. Collins will work out for the Packers for many, many years.

Members online

Latest posts