17th Annual Draft Contest

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
:rolleyes: "I'd like to thank the little people...."

Not to give my scouting tips away, but most of you guys did all the heavy lifting. I kept looking for common picks, figuring you all knew what you were doing. :D I just got lucky on hitting 2 rounds.

Thanks to Amish for hosting another fun drafting event. The hours he spent compiling, sorting, etc......his dedication to his craft shouldn't go unnoticed.

Now to go collect my prize.......:cautious:

H

HardRightEdge

Not to give my scouting tips away, but most of you guys did all the heavy lifting. I kept looking for common picks, figuring you all knew what you were doing.
Congrats, Pokerdude. Not a bad way to go about it..."wisdom of crowds" and all that which seems appropriate for a handicapping exercise.

Nate Silver established a career with remarkable results picking elections by polling the polls.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:rolleyes: "I'd like to thank the little people...."

Not to give my scouting tips away, but most of you guys did all the heavy lifting. I kept looking for common picks, figuring you all knew what you were doing. :D I just got lucky on hitting 2 rounds.

Thanks to Amish for hosting another fun drafting event. The hours he spent compiling, sorting, etc......his dedication to his craft shouldn't go unnoticed.

Now to go collect my prize.......:cautious:
I saw Kyle Murphy in a lot of these and considered adding him. My other update was to delete Spriggs because I though he would be gone before our 1st pick. I never got around to it, so it is a wash.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm completely flabbergasted that I understand Ted Thompson's mindset so little...:D. I'm looking forward to 2017's draft where maybe I'll hit on even one. Of the 3 positions of greatest need TT gave me the middle finger by taking (draft and UDFA) only 2 ILB's and ZERO TE's. :(

D

Deleted member 6794

Congrats, Pokerbrat!!! I really should stop competing in this contest as I have a total of three points in as many tries.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Congrats, Pokerbrat!!! I really should stop competing in this contest as I have a total of three points in as many tries.

Thanks Captain, I hope you keep playing it......when I look at your draft....I think I would have preferred it over TT's ;) Of course we all got 20 picks, TT only got......7

I think the real winner will be in a year or two and someone can look back and say "I told you so". I played last year and hit 1 or 2......would be fun to go back and see how the 20 guys I picked are faring in the NFL.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the real winner will be in a year or two and someone can look back and say "I told you so". I played last year and hit 1 or 2......would be fun to go back and see how the 20 guys I picked are faring in the NFL.
I don't necessarily pick players that I think will be good, I pick players I think TT will think will be good. There is a pattern and I weed out a lot of players I am fairly certain TT won't be interested in. Later rounds there are usually a few picks that I never even looked at. Anyway, I would not look on previous contest picks as players that I felt would succeed.
Found the link to last years Amish Draft......hmmmm.......we need to figure this numbering system out......17th annual this year......96th annual last year?? :cautious:

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/the-96th-annual-amish-mafia-draft-contest.59575/
Man, you gotta think outside the box! Who says they have to be in a row?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Man, you gotta think outside the box! Who says they have to be in a row?

True, when we are all 90 and senile and want to look back at this, numbers won't mean a thing to us! Actually, your whole numbering system might even make some sense at that point! ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't necessarily pick players that I think will be good, I pick players I think TT will think will be good. There is a pattern and I weed out a lot of players I am fairly certain TT won't be interested in.

Oh most definitely have to try to think like TT for your contest. What I do is free my mind during the free agency period....scout a few college teams while others are busy looking at FA's. :coffee:

All kidding aside, I do think TT places more importance on character and teachability then other GM's. Sometimes he misses on this criteria, but for the most part a prevailing theme. Typically if you read about one of his draft choices, there is a good indication that the player has his football head on straight, eager to learn and a back story of how he has become a better man because of football.

H

HardRightEdge

Maybe we should have a contest where we re-pick the draft the way we would do it, not the way we think Thompson will do, based on who was actually on the board at each pick. Then check back in a year and see how it worked out. The only thing that stops me is that it would be cheating. For example, if you know Murphy will be available in the 6th. you're not going to draft him the 5th., a not insignificant advantage.

The first round is not cheating, though, and with that I would have gone with Ragland, enlarged aorta or not.

I hold firmly to the opinion that Kendricks would have been the better pick in the first round last year, and Ragland is even a better player.

In the absence of a bunch of playmakers as in 2010, having a very firm hand in the center of the field goes chronically underappreciated. Martinez will help in dime. Ryan and Barrington is a decent combination, but lacks that special sauce.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe we should have a contest where we re-pick the draft the way we would do it, not the way we think Thompson will do, based on who was actually on the board at each pick. Then check back in a year and see how it worked out. The only thing that stops me is that it would be cheating. For example, if you know Murphy will be available in the 6th. you're not going to draft him the 5th., a not insignificant advantage.

I would never want to change the Amish draft, it would dilute my win! :D It is a fun draft though, predicting what TT will do, not what you would do if you were TT or what you would do as a GM of the "PokerBrat Penguins".

To do something like you are alluding to, which would be fun too, one could open up a draft thread. Participants would have to be online and submit their pick(s) before they announce the Packer pick. Big time commitment though, I normally don't watch the draft too close and hope to check my computer or TV around when I think the Packers are close to picking.

H

HardRightEdge

I would never want to change the Amish draft, it would dilute my win! :D
Clearly, I did not suggest changing anything, nor would I ever do anything to dim your warm glow of victory! That will wear off on it's own soon enough. :eek:

This would be something different, but as I said it would be cheating so I would not consider it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This would be something different, but as I said it would be cheating so I would not consider it.

You mean run a draft after the draft? Pick the players you would have picked for the Packers, now knowing how the whole board played out? That would be "too easy" lol. While everyone would have the same advantage, IMO its unrealistic to have that advanced knowledge of when you have to select a guy to get him. Maybe a fun exercise, sort of your "All Star Packer Fantasy Draft Team".

H

HardRightEdge

Maybe a fun exercise, sort of your "All Star Packer Fantasy Draft Team".
There is a clear flaw in the proposition, a second form of cheating if you will. If one were to pass on Clark in round 1, for example, we'd have no idea where he would have gone. It would not be reasonable to allow somebody to pick him in round 7, for example. I think you'd have to say if you pass on a Packer pick at the spot where they picked him then he's be off the board. You could take him higher than the Packers if that was your inclication.

With that provision in place, go ahead and try it. If Thompson chooses the "best player available" how will you do better? ;) Seriously, I don't think it's as easy as you think. Make the trade up for Spriggs or any other player of your choosing at that spot, or keep the picks where they were and choose some other guys, but Spriggs is off the board if you don't pick him at or before the Packers spot.

Too much work for me and a year from now, nobody would care about the post mortem.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

To do something like you are alluding to, which would be fun too, one could open up a draft thread. Participants would have to be online and submit their pick(s) before they announce the Packer pick. Big time commitment though, I normally don't watch the draft too close and hope to check my computer or TV around when I think the Packers are close to picking.
While interesting, that would be a management nightmare. These posts are not even visibly time stamped past the minute to audit the results. Somebody would have to sit there and post, "pick closed" at some designated time for each pick, like when the commish starts walking down the runway. And who is going to sit through every minute of every round to post their picks? A trade could happen at any time. I have yard work and golfing if it isn't raining. ;)

In any case, this becomes just another take on the "what will Thompson do" contest. That's not what I'm getting at.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While interesting, that would be a management nightmare. These posts are not even visibly time stamped past the minute to audit the results. Somebody would have to sit there and post, "pick closed" at some designated time for each pick, like when the commish starts walking down the runway. And who is going to sit through every minute of every round to post their picks? A trade could happen at any time. I have yard work and golfing if it isn't raining. ;)

In any case, this becomes just another take on the "what will Thompson do" contest. That's not what I'm getting.
Check out my other thread "head to head with ted" that was meant for exactly what you are speaking of. It did not get much interest so I didnt bother with other rounds, only did the first.

H

HardRightEdge

Check out my other thread "head to head with ted" that was meant for exactly what you are speaking of. It did not get much interest so I didnt bother with other rounds, only did the first.
You're a better man than I trying to run that.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for your work on both, Amish. I didn't go on this one because I didn't have the time to go in depth for 7 rds like many here.
The other thread you had suited me perfectly, as I go by a positional lists, then a combined regardless of position list. Scratch off the names picked, then I pick make my pick. Had fun, although I noticed after awhile I was pretty much the only one posting.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thanks for your work on both, Amish.

Shhhhhhhh.....Amish is sleeping after the countless hours he poured into setting up and running the draft.

Rumor has it, that his buggy is packed and that he has decided to use the 2 week all expense paid trip to Hawaii himself, instead of giving it out to this years winner! :whistling:

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts