Your favorite current NFL players who DON'T play for the team that you're a fan of...

R

repeatlife

I just thought we'd try a little something different around here for a change. It seems as if homerism is at an all time high around here as of late and not just in the football forum either. I am guilty of it myself at times, so I figured we should honor some guys that don't play for the teams that we are fans of and give props to some guys to whom we normally wouldn't.

I'll start. I am a Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan (the joke's on me) so I cannot list any players who have ever played for the Bucs, past or present.

I'll list mine by position:

QB- Brett Favre. I don't care about the media hype or about the "retirements" or any of that drama. The fact is the dude can still play football and is a winner. He may be a gunslinger, but he has won more games than any other person to ever play his position and wins are the most important stat of all in football.

RB- Brian Westbrook. His versatility is what intrigues me about him the most. He may not be able to destroy teams running between the tackles like many of his peers, but he can do everything else at a very high level. He is also the most exciting back in the passing game since Marshall Faulk.

WR- Andre Johnson. He may in fact be the best wide receiver in the game depending on your criteria, but he also happens to be my favorite. He has never had a good quarterback for a full season until this year and yet he has led the league in receptions and yards several times. This guy can play.

TE- Todd Heap. Compared to the other "receiving" style tight ends over the past decade, I think Heap was the best blocker and team player. I have seen this guy make catches that other top tier tight ends couldn't make either. He may be slowing down now, but 5-6 years ago I wouldn't have chosen anyone over him.

OL- Jeff Saturday. Everyone knows Peyton Manning is one of the best quarterbacks to ever lace them up and one of the most cerebral signal callers ever. He calls so many audibles and makes different line calls that you'd have to be a sharp guy to follow his lead. Saturday has been doing it for 10+ years now.

DL- Jared Allen. A lot of people hate him and think he is a dirty player, but I love his intensity. It seems like his motor is running in 5th gear at all times. I can't think of a better edge rusher in the league right now and I just love to watch him sack opposing quarterbacks all day long.

MLB- Ray Lewis. Like him or not, I have never seen a more complete defensive player in my lifetime. The heart and soul of one of the best defenses of all time and a true gamer and leader in every sense of the word.

OLB- DeMarcus Ware. This guy is an absolute beast. He had one of the best pass rushing seasons of all time last year and even though his numbers may be down he is still a force to be reckoned with. He is also not bad at all when dropping into coverage compared to other 3-4 linebackers that specialize in rushing the passer.

CB- Nnamdi Asomugha. This guy is simply the best in the world at what he does. He pretty much had the greatest single season at his position in NFL history last year by allowing a measly 9 receptions for 144 yards the entire year. The true definition of a shutdown corner if there ever was one.

S- Ed Reed. It was a very close call for me between Reed and Brian Dawkins, but I just have to choose Reed. If you looked up the word "ballhawk" in the dictionary there should be a picture of Reed there. Some of the plays this guy has made over the years made my jaw literally drop. A true game changer.

RET- Josh Cribbs. This guy has singlehandedly won his team a few games solely on his prowess as a kick returner and punt returner. I may not like the team he plays for (at all) but it is a joy to watch this guy play every Sunday. They need to pony up the dough to keep this guy long term though. Losing him would hurt tremendously.

K/P- Shane Lechler. As a former punter myself, it just amazes me when I see what this guy can do game in and game out, year in and year out. Most people overlook punters, but this guy is just on another planet as far as talent and production are concerned. Imagine if he actually played on a good team!

Feel free to contribute, guys! This could be a fun thread and one of few on the forum with almost zero chance and homerism coming into play.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread!

QB - Tom Brady. Almost nobody likes him. I do. The guy was told he couldn't play all his life. Yet if I had to choose one guy playing right now, it'd be him. He didn't have a great season last year, but his resume is just terrific. Don't know why, but he reminds me of Bart Starr.
RB - Chris Johnson. Second coming of Barry Sanders
WR - Andre Johnson. One of the best, and a true pro. Double teamed all the time, and still performs.
TE - Dallas Clark. THE most underrated offensive player in the NFL.
LT - Joe Thomas. The best in NFL in pass and run combined.
LG - Jahri Evans. The best young G in the NFL.
C - Kevin Mawae. He's old, but he's great.
RG - Chris Snee. One of the most underrated OL in the NFL.
RT - David Stewart. Another underrated guy.

LDE - Darnell Dockett. He's got it all, he can play 4-3 or 3-4. The closest to Reggie White there is in the league (but miles, miles apart from Reggie)
DT - Tommie Harris. The only Bears player I respect. He could've ended the Packers' season last year, but he didn't. If he wasn't injuried all the time, he'd be one of the best. For his character and his past performance, I put him in here.
NT - Jay Ratliff. Again, can play both, and is the most impactful NT in the league, though he's allowed to be so.
RDE - Mario Williams. A class-act stud.
LOLB - Lamarr Woodley. Harrison doesn't play in the left, and Woodley is as good as him.
MLB - Ray Lewis. He's not the best anymore, but he's the best LB I've ever seen.
ROLB - DeMarcus Ware. He's the best pass rusher in the NFL, he's also a class act, and what a story.
CB - Nmandi Asomugah. The second best CB in the NFL.
CB - Champ Bailey. Again, this guy has been doing it at an elite level for more than one season.
FS - Ed Reed. Don't need to explain.
SS - Troy Polamalu. Don't need to explain.

KR/PR - Cribbs. Him and Thomas are the only players the Browns have. Cribbs does it all for them.
K - Adam Vinatiery. The only K worthy of HoF honors.
P - Mike Scifres. The best. What he did in 08 against Indy was astonishing. He won that game.

This is my team. You'll find lots of underrated players, young players, and class-acts.

Ghost of Billy Mays

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My favorites NOT playing for the Pack.....

QB-Manning- plays the part of an O.C. and QB
RB-Steven Jackson-An Adrian Peterson proto minus all the fumbles
WR- Andre Johnson- nuff said
TE- Tony Gonzalez- all around TE IMO
OL- Nick Mangold/Kevin Mawae- need these guys to keep your QB clean
CB- Nmandi Asomugha- numbers don't lie
SS- Polamalu- I love Ed Reed, but I love Troy more
DE- Dwight Freeney- is always injured, and always productive
LB- Patrick Willis- Ray Lewis part II
PK- Kaeding, I know he blew it in the play-offs, but is still the most accurate ever % wise
ST- Cribbs- nuff said

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
QB: Michael Vick (At the height of his powers, and even now, I still hold my breath every time he takes off running)
RB: Adrian Peterson (Physical, fast, watch the clip of him trucking that Steeler and tell me he isn't the most fun guy to watch in the NFL)
WR: Larry Fitzgerald (His ability to adjust to the ball is like looking at fine art.)
TE: Dallas Clark (Nobody plays that position better)
DL: Jared Allen (Dude does not quit.)
LB: Patrick Willis (I swear to God there's 3 of him on the field. Nobody can be that many places at once)
CB: Darelle Revis (The very definition of a shutdown corner. Woodson is the best playmaker in the NFL at corner, Revis is the best at taking an entire side of the field away. You can decide which you think is more valuable)
S: Ed Reed (Sort of like Willis, you'd swear to God there's 3 of him. He manages to be around the ball on every play)

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QB - Drew Brees
RB - Michael Turner
FB - Le'Ron McClain
WR1 - Andre Johnson - Heights and speed.
WR2 - Percy Harvin
TE - Vernon Davis
OT - Joe Thomas
OG - Ben Grubbs
C - Alex Mack
OG - Leonard Davis - Hes +350lbs and hes in a rock band.
OT - David Stewart

DE1 - Jared Allen - Badass...
DE2 - Mario Williams
DT - Kris Jenkins
LOLB - Lamarr Woodley
MLB - Patrick Willis
ROLB - Clay Mathews
CB1 - Nnamdi Asomugha
CB2 - Darrelle Revis
FS - Nick Collins
SS - Brandon Meriweather
K - Sebastian Janikowski
P - Craig Heinrich
KR - Joshua Cribbs

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm nice post.

Offense

QB Tom Brady
RB Adrian Peterson
WR Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson
OT Jake Long, Joe Thomas
OG Logan Mankins, Carl Nicks
C Maurkice Pouncey
TE Antonio Gates

Defense

DT Ndamukong Suh
DE Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney
OLB Demarcus Ware, Brian Orakpo
ILB Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis
CB Nmadi Asomugha, Darrelle Revis
FS Ed Reed
SS Troy Polumalu

PeckinRX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't you think that is a little unrealistic. The point of Fantasy Football is put together the best available team, but you can't have all superstars.

CarolinaPackerFan

Packers fan in Panthers country
Reaction score
QB - Matthew Stafford
RB - DeAngelo Williams
WR - Calvin Johnson
TE - Vernon Davis
OL - Jeff Saturday
DL - Osi Umenyiora
LB - John Beason
CB - Champ Bailey
S - Ed Reed