Wow!!! Colt Lyerla participating in rookie camp

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Jason Wilde posted a good article about Lyerla yesterday with what I hope to be an appropriate title, Days of Atonement: http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=14231&is_corp=1
- - - - -

The question of nature (genetics) vs. nurture (environment and in this case, behavior) is at the center of more than a few discussions and IMO it applies to addiction as well. From anecdotal evidence from my life I do think genetics plays a part in addiction. Two of my closest friends have been in AA and sober for many decades and each has extensive family histories of addiction. We went to college together and I was behaving the same way they were at college – got drunk far too often, smoked pot, and tried cocaine (no, we didn’t ‘experiment’ with it – we didn’t wear lab coats and collect data – we just tried it). Anyway, I am lucky enough not to have any family history of addiction – at least back to both sets of grandparents – and I’ve never had a problem with addiction. I have run across similar examples in my life, in fact more than a few of my friends have had problems with addiction, and in each case at least one parent shared those problems. But anecdotal evidence is just that.

Here’s just one site that came up after a basic search. http://www.addictionsandrecovery.org/is-addiction-a-disease.htm The author may be overstating the percentage of those addicted due to genetic factors but if the studies on twins are well done, that provides some evidence to back the claim of some having a genetic predisposition to addiction. The author also says repeatedly abusing drugs or alcohol permanently rewires the brain and I have read of those studies as well. And of course he says poor coping skills also lead to addiction – I don’t think there’s any disagreement about that.

Even if someone is predisposed to having problems with addiction, if they never try the addictive substance they’ll obviously have no problem with it. This is relevant to the discussion above because to the extent addiction is a genetic predisposition it can be more easily thought of as a disease. However much like type 2 diabetes which of course is a “disease”, it is brought on by behavior (as Jordyruns mentioned). As I said, I gave myself a chance to be addicted to alcohol and illegal substances so far-be-it for me to judge others who did the same and became addicted. I certainly am in no way morally superior to my two friends mentioned above. And those who become addicted, no matter the cause, can certainly overcome it by changing their behavior. While I agree calling addiction a disease does not help those addicted overcome it, neither does ignoring behavior and personal responsibility help those suffering from type 2 diabetes, or the person with heart disease who won’t watch what he eats or exercise. IOW if you blame addiction completely on the addicted you have to do the same with some of those who suffer from agreed-upon diseases. Unless you are coming at this discussion from the perspective of a perfect person, I’m not sure how much the cause of addiction matters (except to be particularly vigilant if there’s a family history of it).

With regard to Colt Lyerla after reading about his childhood it’s easy for me to see how his inability to cope with his environment led to a lot of his problems, whether he is predisposed to addiction or not (in fact whether he is even addicted, or not). And in any event I agree with those who say this is a very low - to no - risk signing for the Packers. They are giving him a chance to overcome his problems and straighten out his life. If he fails, I don’t see how his failure reflects poorly on the Packers. If he succeeds, of course the Packers will benefit by having added one of the best TE prospects from this draft. So IMO it's a low risk, and potentially high reward proposition. And even beyond giving another human being a second chance, I give kudos to Thompson for doing it.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I agree with ya,for once lol. Who is to say the guy even has a "problem", could have been experimental. Lesson learned hopefully. Props to TT for giving this gem a chance with the proper organization. I bieleive we have the correct atmosphere and persons to mentor him into a fine GB product.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I LOVE this pick-up. If he doesn't work out or becomes a distraction, he's gone. But if he gets his act together and plays anything like he does in his highlight reel, the Packers just scored big time. Have you seen what he can do at the Fullback position as well? Final thought, what a great place to bring someone in need of straightening out some personal issues!!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you accept that babies born after being exposed to drugs in utero have a disease that results in long term problems with mentation and social development it seems reasonable to assume that adults exposed to drugs would have similar neurological malfunctions. So it easy for me to accept drug abuse as a disease. There is good evidence that medical and behavioral treatment regimes help many patients escape from their drug abuse, but the neurological effects of the abuse may be a factor in a patient's inability to follow the treatment regime. It makes the treatment more difficult, but not impossible. Hopefully Lyerla is one of the successes.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best part of the signing is that I no longer have to hear people talk about how a guy isn't "Packer people". If the Packers are willing to sign this guy, then moral issues obviously aren't a determining factor in personnel decisions.
Yes, we've taken a huge first step toward becoming the Raiders or Lions.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This dude is gonna be a fan favorite when he starts scoring tds. Just learned he played fullback his freshmen year, looks to be a better runner than Kuhn taking a handoff and def a better option catching the ball if he can pass protect well be set. And Kuhn will be out of a job hopefully cause that would allow us to keep an extra player at another position which would be big.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow the hype is crazy on this kid. Put me in the prove it first before I jump on the bandwagon

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If people are comparing him to Ebron then I'm already on the bandwagon because I thought Ebron would be a matchup nightmare if he landed in the right offense...unfortunately for us he did with Caldwell in Detroit which means we have see him twice a yr ...but if we have a guy just as dynamic sucks for them to!

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If people are comparing him to Ebron then I'm already on the bandwagon because I thought Ebron would be a matchup nightmare if he landed in the right offense...unfortunately for us he did with Caldwell in Detroit which means we have see him twice a yr ...but if we have a guy just as dynamic sucks for them to!

I don't think he's quite the receiver Ebron is. Handswise. But if he can stay on track, definitely an incredible steal of an UDFA and probably the best TE on the roster unless Rodgers stuns everyone. TE suddenly has turned into a stacked position. Who doesn't make the team out of the group? They have to keep someone with blocking and ST talent. I guess quarless, lyerla, and Rodgers all make the 53 but I'm not very sure about bostick anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't think he's quite the receiver Ebron is. Handswise. But if he can stay on track, definitely an incredible steal of an UDFA and probably the best TE on the roster unless Rodgers stuns everyone. TE suddenly has turned into a stacked position. Who doesn't make the team out of the group? They have to keep someone with blocking and ST talent. I guess quarless, lyerla, and Rodgers all make the 53 but I'm not very sure about bostick anymore.

The roster is pretty much stacked everywhere. IMO this is best 90 man roster I have ever seen the Packers have as far as pure talent. They have added a lot of speed. There should major competition all over the board all training camp long. Very exciting.

It's funny because I was saying I would take our roster hands down over Seahawks about a month ago on a different thread and people were giving me a hard time about it. I think it's pretty obvious now. Thank you TT,

Last edited:

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The roster is pretty much stacked everywhere. IMO this is best 90 man roster I have ever seen the Packers have as far as pure talent. They have added a lot of speed. There should major competition all over the board all training camp long. Very exciting.
Just wish we had one more really promising ILB to at least light a fire under the group. Maybe there will be an overachiever or barrington will make a leap.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Just wish we had one more really promising ILB to at least light a fire under the group. Maybe there will be an overachiever or barrington will make a leap.

As time goes I am feeling better about ILB. There is a lot of talented guys that were brought in competing for that spot and I believe someone will rise to the top and add improvement to it. Along with the guys coming back developing hopefully.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As time goes I am feeling better about ILB. There is a lot of talented guys that were brought in competing for that spot and I believe someone will rise to the top and add improvement to it. Along with the guys coming back developing hopefully.

Really? I've been getting more pessimistic. Barrington seems like a wanna be Ray Lewis without half the talent. Jones is a liability on 75% of his snaps. Hawk is just good enough. Lattimore lacks certain instincts. I just don't know.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

This dude is gonna be a fan favorite when he starts scoring tds. Just learned he played fullback his freshmen year, looks to be a better runner than Kuhn taking a handoff and def a better option catching the ball if he can pass protect well be set. And Kuhn will be out of a job hopefully cause that would allow us to keep an extra player at another position which would be big.

While Lyerla lined up at fullback in college for some snaps he won´t do that in the NFL. At 6-4, 242 he doesn´t have enough bulk to play the position at this level. The Packers re-signed Kuhn to make the team.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I´m convinced Stoneburner won´t make the team. If the team wants to keep four it will be a battle in camp between Bostick and Taylor for the last spot.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

It's funny because I was saying I would take our roster hands down over Seahawks about a month ago on a different thread and people were giving me a hard time about it. I think it's pretty obvious now. Thank you TT,

ILB and center are still huge question marks going into OTAs. Seattle is still the better team as of now.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I don´t understand why you would feel better about the ILB position. Aside of some UDFAs the Packers haven´t added any talent at the position. There´s no guarantee any of those undrafted guys will even make the 53.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t understand why you would feel better about the ILB position. Aside of some UDFAs the Packers haven´t added any talent at the position. There´s no guarantee any of those undrafted guys will even make the 53.
We have 2 guys who are very athletic in Hawk and Jones. Jones is still learning the position and Hawk had one of his best seasons, actually making a few decent plays. There is still upside for both of these guys. Certainly the coaches saw enough of Jones to think he has some strong potential there with the contract. Playing LB in a 3-4 is not an easy task. It takes a few years. If you look at the Steeler LBs, many of them do very little in there first few years before blooming into stars.

I am not going to tell you I am comfortable with our current duo. I was a strong proponent of drafting Mosley or Shazier in this past draft. I would have preferred adding someone in this draft to push these guys, but there were not many options in this draft. Most of the prospects were not the type of ILB that I think we need - speedy. But don't give up on Hawk and Jones so fast. At the very least, they should be better than last year because they have played together and Jones has more experience at the position.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Hawk is just fine, people rag on him, but I dont see why.....maybe because he does not live up to his draft position well enough for some people. I like the guy. He has good motor, VERY durable, leading taclker for years now, does not cost much, and like others have said - he had a damn good season last year without consistant support opposite him. Now brad jones on the other hand..... slow reaction time, poor tackling, lame duck, and over paid....what upside does he provide?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

We have 2 guys who are very athletic in Hawk and Jones. Jones is still learning the position and Hawk had one of his best seasons, actually making a few decent plays. There is still upside for both of these guys. Certainly the coaches saw enough of Jones to think he has some strong potential there with the contract. Playing LB in a 3-4 is not an easy task. It takes a few years. If you look at the Steeler LBs, many of them do very little in there first few years before blooming into stars.

I am not going to tell you I am comfortable with our current duo. I was a strong proponent of drafting Mosley or Shazier in this past draft. I would have preferred adding someone in this draft to push these guys, but there were not many options in this draft. Most of the prospects were not the type of ILB that I think we need - speedy. But don't give up on Hawk and Jones so fast. At the very least, they should be better than last year because they have played together and Jones has more experience at the position.

While Hawk made some plays rushing the passer and finally made some turnover plays he was terrible against the run. Brad Jones played solid before he got injured, but there´s nothing you can say that will convince him he should be a starter.

I agree there wasn´t much talent at the position in the draft after Mosley was gone. Thompson knew that before the draft though and should have improved the position in free agency.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
While Hawk made some plays rushing the passer and finally made some turnover plays he was terrible against the run. Brad Jones played solid before he got injured, but there´s nothing you can say that will convince him he should be a starter.

I agree there wasn´t much talent at the position in the draft after Mosley was gone. Thompson knew that before the draft though and should have improved the position in free agency.

this is the truth.

But, brad jones had NEVER played solid. He plays in slow motion.

Members online