1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Worse break up, Favre and the Pack? Or Lebron and the Cavs?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Jul 11, 2010.

1. OurWarNow

OurWarNow Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0

That's a good point and something I've thought about myself. It seemed to me, however, that he was playing the "will he or won't he" game every offseason since that horrific 4-12 fiasco. In fact, doing a quick google search has brought me to this website:

Timeline: Brett Favre's retirement drama since 2006 - USATODAY.com

I'm not sure how accurate it is. Feel free to point out anything that isn't correct. Interestingly enough, as I read it, he predicts exactly what is going to happen on Sept. 3 2006. (third bulletin point). I don't know whether to laugh at that, call him the Nostradamus of football, or cry because you may be right. Still, in my mind, it seems as if he is simply THAT indecisive. We beat Minnesota TWICE in 2007. What would be so attractive that we wouldn't have here, beside subservient management? :Heristical:

I still remember seeing his "retirement" from Green Bay. The guy looked absolutely sincere. Once again, if it was his plan at that time to go to Minnesota all along...he deserves an Oscar or something.

Just for clarification, I'm no longer a big Favre fan. I don't hate him as a lot of Packer fans do, but now I can see he's definitely a dang diva. The thing is, I literally grew up watching the guy play! He's still fun to watch on the field. I don't necessarily root against him...UNLESS he is playing the Green and Gold. :duel:

Oh, one more thing, I ultimately agree with you: :viksux:
  2. Clay's Jock Strap

Clay's Jock Strap TRK's Hero

Ratings Received:
    +26 / 0 / -0

I guess your reply here leads me to ask exactly what favre needs to do before you would come to the conclusion that he is (1) insincere and (2) all about BrINT??

Exactly what height of misdeeds does he need to reach before you actually doubt his PR scheme?
  3. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +979 / 0 / -0
    Like the article says, Favre told the reason for the whole retire-nonretire thing in that HBO interview in 06. The organization was rebuilding, and Favre wanted them to commit to him, to focus all their effort to build a team to win while he was still with the team, whatever the cost.

That's the reason he left.
  4. Pugger

Pugger Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Horse hockey. :nhl2: He left just a couple of weeks after the team played in the stinkin' NFC Championship game, for pity's sake! To me, that is a winning team. And after a year of adjustment with Rodgers the team was back in the playoffs in 2009 and is one of the favorites in 2010. :happy0005:
  5. OurWarNow

OurWarNow Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0

For (1), I guess I'd have to see more evidence about the idea that he planned to go to Minnesota all along. For (2), no need for him to do anything more, I definitely know he's all about himself.
  6. profile_removed

profile_removed Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Pugger's comments of July 12th that the 2 situations are different. Lebron wasn't FORCED out of Cleveland by a GM who thought he had a 'bigger younger better player at his position'. No Lebron just straight up left.

Everyone here chastises Favre for wanting to prove Ted Thompson wrong and prove he can still play yet...Lebron who straight out left a la another of our legendary heroes...Vince Lombardi *Read up on your history about the Bengston situation before you bash me* is a great guy who made a smart business move to win a championship. Man when did Packer fans become idiots. Maybe I SHOULD become a Vikings fan...somebody did something to the water in Packer nation...glad I don't drink water.
  7. profile_removed

Ratings Received:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Fact is Favre played for the Jets to out-smart Thompson. He basically got Thompson Mr. Intelligent Businessman to trade him to Minnesota for what...a 3rd round pick...and it didn't even come out of Minnesota's pocket...and they call FAVRE a stupid hick! Anybody who didn't see Favre asking the Jets for his release so he could sign with the Vikings is either Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, or Ronnie Milsap. He wanted to shove it down the throat of Ted Thompson and Ted Thompson only...POSSIBLY Aaron Rodgers as well, who knows about Aaron though...and what did he do twice last year...just that!

If Brett would've gone to and won the superbowl, we would've seen him do an interview along the lines of Molitor when he won the World Series with Toronto...that's really all Favre wants...retribution against the team that forced him out. This isn't personal against us fans at least not with Favre. This is personal against us fans with Ted Thompson and Ted Thompson ONLY.
  8. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +2,517 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    I posted a "rebuttal" to the time line

http://www.packerforum.com/packer-fan-forum/17710-time-line-explained-brett.html

Those that post on Brett forum might recall this it was posted by Bretts business partner and the man that ran the forum and the online store..When specifically asked was it his thoughts on the whole timeline,this person said no..That he got it right from the horses mouth...Which meant right from Brett..

This guy was not disputing anything the Packers said/did in THIS time line...So that means to me that the Packers did want him back, just didnt want to have to wait till August to hear it

Funny thing, few days later this person took this down, but I did save it..

The italicized/bolded parts is what Brett supposedly said

9. longtimefan

Ratings Received:
    +2,517 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    Why do you try to convince people to things they dont want to hear?

Give it up..EVERY post you make is a broken record
  10. profile_removed

Ratings Received:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I just don't want Packer Nation to be ignorant anymore!
  11. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +3,427 / 81 / -25
    Brett didnt play hard since the 90s in GB. He got lazy. Goes to MN and puts up great numbers just proves it. He is motivated by revenge for a situation he caused. After the NFC championship against the Giants Favre went back and forth so many times with the packers they really had no choice. In his head he thought he ran the team, what a tool.
  12. Pugger

Pugger Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    All of this stuff is nonsense cuz NONE OF US REALLY KNOWS WHAT WENT DOWN. We can all make educated guesses but that's all they are - guesses. Unless you have audio/video tape and/or tapped their phones you don't know anything more than the rest of us do.

My guess? I suspect #4 wanted out of Green Bay because it is the only plausible explaination I can think of. What player would want to leave a team that just weeks before was playing for a Super Bowl berth? What GM/HC would want to boot a future HOF QB that is still playing at a high level? And if Favre felt pressured to make up his mind because the Packers wanted to know his plans before the draft, is that an unreasonable request? If all Favre wanted to do was play why did he sit on his...hands and not file for reinstatement instead of pussyfooting around and going on national TV crying to Greta? None of Favre's actions make any sense unless he was trying to force his way out of town by creating a PR nighmare for GB.

I hope someday both MM and Favre write a tell-all book! Until then all we have is conjecture.
  13. longtimefan

Ratings Received:
    +2,517 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    I actually have thought that before..

Another possible reason on why he said " maybe they dont know how to tell Brett Favre he is no longer needed" a few years before he retired..He wanted out then but didnt know how to go about asking them to release or trade

Wasnt it in 06? there were rumors he wanted to be traded? But right away it was put to rest.
  14. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 57 / -28
    Packer Fan Since:
    [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5418788"]Cleveland Indians crowd taunts fan in LeBron James Heat jersey - ESPN[/ame]