World Cup Brazil 2014

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
In the first game england played pretty ok the second game was a bit tougher for them, they should have perhaps had two draws. But football at that level is ruthless they lack something for me, that being a killer striker. I saw Glen Hoddle talking about Gerrard and how he should stay and not retire because of his age, comparing him to Pirlo. I laughed in terms of ability he's certainly no Pirlo.

Main difference between Gerrard and Pirlo for me is that Gerrard does too much running, if that makes sense. He needs to conserve his energy more and play more clever to be in the same league as Pirlo. Pirlo uses his brain, doesnt do 30yrd bursts, yet instead just a 5yrd shuffle to his left or right to create an angle for the pass, or leave space behind him so the ball can go to de Rossi.

Slight tweaks in Gerrards game could well see him become a top defensive midfielder, but he's always been an all action midfielder, so i cant see him making those adjustments.

But if we're pinning our hopes on Wilshere becoming 'our Pirlo', then god help us.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Main difference between Gerrard and Pirlo for me is that Gerrard does too much running, if that makes sense. He needs to conserve his energy more and play more clever to be in the same league as Pirlo. Pirlo uses his brain, doesnt do 30yrd bursts, yet instead just a 5yrd shuffle to his left or right to create an angle for the pass, or leave space behind him so the ball can go to de Rossi.

Slight tweaks in Gerrards game could well see him become a top defensive midfielder, but he's always been an all action midfielder, so i cant see him making those adjustments.

But if we're pinning our hopes on Wilshere becoming 'our Pirlo', then god help us.

Gerrard is what he is, he's one of the better english midfielders but for me like most UK players lacks intelligence and professionalism. He gave away the ball in two high profile games that resulted in goals. Its interesting Fergie does not rate him highly that for me says it all, Lampard was better (i would say that) but he's past it now.

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking forward to the game against Ghana tonight.
Going to wear this shirt, beer is in the fridge....ready for kickoff ;)
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Looking forward to the game against Ghana tonight.
Going to wear this shirt, beer is in the fridge....ready for kickoff ;)

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

Nice shirt think ill wear mine too nessie, agreed after a debate the Russian one for me was also the winner. :tup: Btw the Scottish guy in the pics was on a mission, he took loads of football shirts down with him and handed them to the local children's charity so top banana of the day for him. :cool::barefoot:

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice shirt think ill wear mine too nessie, agreed after a debate the Russian one for me was also the winner. :tup: Btw the Scottish guy in the pics was on a mission, he took loads of football shirts down with him and handed them to the local children's charity so top banana of the day for him. :cool::barefoot:
for the Scottish guy, nice story !
Your are wearing the green shirt too PF71 ? One cant go wrong with this. :) Just nice to hear that a Scot
keeps his fingers crossed for us. This game will be much more difficult than against Portugal.:cautious:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
for the Scottish guy, nice story !
Your are wearing the green shirt too PF71 ? One cant go wrong with this. :) Just nice to hear that a Scot
keeps his fingers crossed for us. This game will be much more difficult than against Portugal.
:cautious:

Yay! 1-0 off his head and his knee who cares its in the net. :) Ghana are a bit more stubborn.
I am nessie hope it helps a bit. ;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I'm glad i missed the first half the second made up for it great game 2-2, fantastic World Cup so far. :D

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I see you missed out the English girl !!!

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score

I see you missed out the English girl !!!

I looked hard Bill believe me, seems like you found her. :tup: I take it all the posh english Birdz are not interested in football. :)

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad i missed the first half the second made up for it great game 2-2, fantastic World Cup so far. :D
Im fine with the draw against Ghana. As expected, much more difficult than Portugal and a great game in the second half by both teams.
Now we need to beat the USA and we will ;)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Im fine with the draw against Ghana. As expected, much more difficult than Portugal and a great game in the second half by both teams.
Don`t tell Bundesbier that :D. At least you lot didn`t beat us on penalties this time :roflmao:, I see that as improvement.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
It would have been better for the USA had Germany won. This opens more possibilities. :cry:

We just have to beat Portugal and we are in. A draw complicates things immensely. A loss to Portugal will be dreadful.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

A draw will be perfectly fine. :tup:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
From what i saw very unlucky for Bosnia a perfectly good goal disallowed and they also had other chances and hit the wood work . Nigeria win 1-0. :rolleyes:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
It would have been better for the USA had Germany won. This opens more possibilities. :cry:

We just have to beat Portugal and we are in. A draw complicates things immensely. A loss to Portugal will be dreadful.

Think positive you could beat Portugal.

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
I hope we will. It's going to be very tense I think.

I think the 300 "advisers" Obama is sending over to Iraq have a better shot, but I have been known to be a bit less than objective when it comes to US Soccer. :D

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
It happens every time after a bad tourney, :rolleyes: the inquest the funny thing is they would still be the same players even if they had managed a couple of draws. More media navel gazing, nothing really will change they are still ordinary.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27960739

At least this "4 point plan" names the problems they have and if they really want to improve change is needed.
But how to give English players more game time in a league where only roundabout 33 % of the players are English ?
I dont like the idea of having rules for this and rules for that. They just need to be good enough and they will get their playing time automatically. To me its more important that they have a plan and a philosophy for their youth players.
Like the Dutch for example, a much smaller country but they have a style and philosophy since the 70's and always enough young and talented players who make their National team worldclass since decades.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
At least this "4 point plan" names the problems they have and if they really want to improve change is needed.
But how to give English players more game time in a league where only roundabout 33 % of the players are English ?
I dont like the idea of having rules for this and rules for that. They just need to be good enough and they will get their playing time automatically. To me its more important that they have a plan and a philosophy for their youth players.
Like the Dutch for example, a much smaller country but they have a style and philosophy since the 70's and always enough young and talented players who make their National team worldclass since decades.

I seem to remember Germany had an awful Euro 2000 tourney out in the group stages, then two years later they were in the World Cup Final what a turnaround! :eek: Germany made positive adjustments to the domestic game in double quick time, and the players came through with the right abilty and mentality.