Wide Receiver

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't watched Gabriel Davis. Just too many players this year, not enough time.
Agree. There are a lot of talented WRs. But I feel Gabriel Davis is that Packers type of WR who we may select in the second or third, its more of a Ted Thompson pick. Similar physical measurement to Jordy, Adams and James Jones. 6'0 -- 6'3. 205-219lbs. Enough speed (4.5). With Consistent college production. I think J'Mon Moore/Yancey were players who they saw in that similar mold but couldn't run a decent route or catch. But this is the Gutekunst Era (he seems to like his WR taller), so far only J'Mon fits that TT WR mold but So I won't be surprised if they select someone like Gabe Davis anywhere from 2-4 round and then take a longer or athletic WRs in late round.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that sticks out in my mind about Jefferson is that he caught 110 passes last year. That's a lot. That was something that stuck out to me about Jordy also who caught 120 passes at Kansas St. in his last season. Don't see much of a chance that Jefferson will be available though.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One thing that sticks out in my mind about Jefferson is that he caught 110 passes last year. That's a lot. That was something that stuck out to me about Jordy also who caught 120 passes at Kansas St. in his last season. Don't see much of a chance that Jefferson will be available though.

The entire LSU offense catered to Jefferson.

They put him in the slot with a two way go at all times. They used him as the Z, so he never had to face press coverage. They manufactured touches for him out of the backfield and on screens. He had the best accuracy % of targets of any receiver in this draft class. They got him matched on safeties and linebackers regularly. They generally schemed him away from the best corners on the opposition.

In any offense or defense there are engines and there are trailers-- players that make the whole thing work, and players that fit in a role that's largely beneficial.

Burrow, Chase, CEH, and the offensive line were engines for that offense. I would argue that Jefferson was a trailer, along with guys like Moss.

To his credit, Jefferson has stellar ball skills and caught everything. But when I watch him play, I don't see anything else exceptional about his game. He doesn't consistently create separation, he doesn't stack defenders and threaten vertically, he isn't a real threat to consistent create after the catch. In most respects, he's just a guy to me.

If Jefferson is there at #30, I hope the Packers pass. Maybe he will make me look really stupid for this in time, but I'm going to call this one how I see it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to echo Dantes' thoughts on Jefferson. I originally before I poured into researching the wideouts thought he was perfect for us...but other WRs did more against DB#1's far far far more than Jefferson ever did (primarily because he was NEVER asked to).

This is not a knock on Jefferson, but a true blue unknown. He very well might have the skills to create separation against better coverage skilled athletes...but we DON'T know because the LSU offense shoveled everything to him in situations where he nearly always had the clear advantage. As stated, you can do that for a WR and they still suck or fail...but Jeffersons' ball skills are stellar and that scheme mixed with his skillset allowed for insane numbers. That said though, you have guys many peg in the Tier 2 like Claypool, Pittman and others whose numbers vs what they faced on plays to me is far more impressive.

It depends what the team plans to do with Jefferson whether he fits well. To be fair we need a WR that can create that separation or serious YAC type...he just isn't that.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Someone, I forget who, compared JJ to Davante Adams at one point.

If we are talking about Fresno State Davante Adams, I actually think that's a great comparison. In college, Adams was a catch point winner who didn't create great separation consistently but came down with a lot of tough catches. His ball skills were his main strength as a prospect and his ability to defeat press was a concern.

Jefferson is similarly built and has similar play speed on tape despite his faster timed speed. And his strengths are the same-- catch point winner with ball skills. He doesn't separate very consistently on tape, and he never has to deal with press coverage.

Adams would go on, we all know, to become a press release magician, a stellar route runner, and an effortless separator. That, combined with his college traits, have made him one of the best in the game. But on the basis of who he was in college, he went in the 2nd round. That's where I feel Jefferson belongs. Maybe he crafts and demonstrates the same qualities that have allowed Adams to grow into such an excellent player. But maybe he doesn't.

So if someone wants to take him in the middle of round one, I will applaud the move. I'm all for 2nd round talents going in the top 29 picks.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone, I forget who, compared JJ to Davante Adams at one point.

If we are talking about Fresno State Davante Adams, I actually think that's a great comparison. In college, Adams was a catch point winner who didn't create great separation consistently but came down with a lot of tough catches. His ball skills were his main strength as a prospect and his ability to defeat press was a concern.

Jefferson is similarly built and has similar play speed on tape despite his faster timed speed. And his strengths are the same-- catch point winner with ball skills. He doesn't separate very consistently on tape, and he never has to deal with press coverage.

Adams would go on, we all know, to become a press release magician, a stellar route runner, and an effortless separator. That, combined with his college traits, have made him one of the best in the game. But on the basis of who he was in college, he went in the 2nd round. That's where I feel Jefferson belongs. Maybe he crafts and demonstrates the same qualities that have allowed Adams to grow into such an excellent player. But maybe he doesn't.

So if someone wants to take him in the middle of round one, I will applaud the move. I'm all for 2nd round talents going in the top 29 picks.

I think Jefferson is more athletic than Adams but I also think he's much less refined at beating press coverage than Adams. I could be talked into him as a late first-round pick but I still would prefer Higgins, Pittman, Reagor, or Mims over him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think Jefferson is more athletic than Adams but I also think he's much less refined at beating press coverage than Adams. I could be talked into him as a late first-round pick but I still would prefer Higgins, Pittman, Reagor, or Mims over him.

I think a lot of people will perceive Jefferson as being a better athlete because of his fast timed speed. I'm not so convinced. He isn't really that fast on tape. For instance, if you watch his game against Texas, safety Brandon Jones runs with him vertically, step for step, twice.

Jefferson's vertical was good, but Adams was 10 lbs heavier and jumped 2 inches higher. He out broad jumped Adams by three inches, but Adams had a 72nd% result in the three cone, which unfortunately we can't compare with Jefferson because he skipped the drill.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jefferson just put simply was NEVER asked in the LSU system to beat someone with high quality coverage skills....that unknown is a HUGE red circle for me and one I'm not gambling on in the first...and depending who else is available even in the second.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to worry. The moron scouts of some other team will grab Jefferson way before we have a chance. So I hear this is an incredibly deep receiver class. I guess that means there will be like 15 of them that will have excellent careers in the NFL for the next 10 years. And it should certainly make our job easy to pick one that will work out great for The Green Bay Packers for the next 10.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a lot of people will perceive Jefferson as being a better athlete because of his fast timed speed. I'm not so convinced. He isn't really that fast on tape. For instance, if you watch his game against Texas, safety Brandon Jones runs with him vertically, step for step, twice.

Jefferson's vertical was good, but Adams was 10 lbs heavier and jumped 2 inches higher. He out broad jumped Adams by three inches, but Adams had a 72nd% result in the three cone, which unfortunately we can't compare with Jefferson because he skipped the drill.

I think Jefferson could be a receiver who can become a legitimate deep-threat. He's faster, as a rookie, than Adams (and I'm not just talking 40 time). Adams is right there with Thomas as one of the best short-to-intermediate range receivers in the NFL but I don't believe Adams can match Jefferson's potential (important word with rookies) as a deep-threat.

But, of course, these are all just projections and opinions so who knows?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think Jefferson could be a receiver who can become a legitimate deep-threat. He's faster, as a rookie, than Adams (and I'm not just talking 40 time). Adams is right there with Thomas as one of the best short-to-intermediate range receivers in the NFL but I don't believe Adams can match Jefferson's potential (important word with rookies) as a deep-threat.

But, of course, these are all just projections and opinions so who knows?

It's hard for me to see Jefferson as a guy who will threaten vertically in the NFL when it isn't something I saw in college, despite having some of the juiciest match-ups of anyone in this draft class. Anything is possible, but I don't see the basis for thinking it's all that likely when I watch him play.

I would echo one of the observations that Greg Cosell made after watching every JJ target from his college career: "The look of a one speed receiver who did not show much suddenness or explosiveness, No meaningful vertical element to Jefferson's game."

Your last statement is obviously true. We are all just doing the best we can with what we see and what we know. But it's still fun to discuss.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am firmly planted in the I'd love Pittman or Edwards I think...which essentially means we either reach at #30, trade back and grab or hope one is there at #62. I believe both of them are the type of guys with very few unknowns, high floors and their worst cases played out are higher than some others like Reagor, Aiyuk and Mims - love all three but I do feel have a larger chance of bust than Edwards and Pittman.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am firmly planted in the I'd love Pittman or Edwards I think...which essentially means we either reach at #30, trade back and grab or hope one is there at #62. I believe both of them are the type of guys with very few unknowns, high floors and their worst cases played out are higher than some others like Reagor, Aiyuk and Mims - love all three but I do feel have a larger chance of bust than Edwards and Pittman.

The other possibility is to trade up from #62.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yup, omitted the other option by mistake.

How dare you!

One interesting thing about Edwards-- he isn't often thought up as a YAC weapon because of his size (and because he's kind of the forgotten man in this class, generally), but just over 50% of his receptions in 2019 were screens (led the class). He can make things happen with the ball in his hands. Some have compared him to a bigger Deebo.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How dare you!

One interesting thing about Edwards-- he isn't often thought up as a YAC weapon because of his size (and because he's kind of the forgotten man in this class, generally), but just over 50% of his receptions in 2019 were screens (led the class). He can make things happen with the ball in his hands. Some have compared him to a bigger Deebo.

100%. He and Pittman unlike many of the "hot picks" have illustrated their abilities and skills over multiple years too.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
100%. He and Pittman unlike many of the "hot picks" have illustrated their abilities and skills over multiple years too.

Pittman isn't the playmaker with the ball in his hands that Aiyuk or Reagor are, but man is that guy a perfect fit for what LaFleur wants to do. And the beautiful thing is that he's a high end athlete, so it isn't like you have to sacrifice upside for floor in his case.

Members online

Latest posts