Who you picking? Savage or Nixon...

One year deal is announced for $5M...between these two guys..who you picking?

• Savage

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Nixon

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
As I said at the top of the page, Nixon is not a $5m/yr player. He'd be overpaid about 50% in the scenario though I'd rather have him back. I expect DS to get a lot more than $5m per so to get him for that, just for his experience (journeyman vet backup 1 yr prove it), would be acceptable.
I’m not a huge Savage fan. His production marks are what you’d expect from a good Day3 selection in year 4. I think he’s worth $4Mil area maybe $5m at best. ONLY because it allows us to focus on upgrading other positions.
I understand he’ll get paid it’s the reality of it.
I’d prefer to spend that $$ on someone that Hafley wants in FA.
Sorry I’m just not a big fan of DS style at all I’d prefer a more aggressive Safety. I’m not the least bit scared to replace him with a Day2 selection and another Veteran signing.

I’d keep Nixon but the $$ part is what it comes down to. I’d keep anyone at vet minimum it’s all about the $$ is my point.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not a huge Savage fan. His production marks are what you’d expect from a good Day3 selection in year 4. I think he’s worth $4Mil area maybe $5m at best. ONLY because it allows us to focus on upgrading other positions.
Sorry I’m just not a big fan of DS style at all I’d prefer a more aggressive Safety. I’m not the least bit scared to replace him with a Day2 selection and another Veteran signing.

I’d keep Nixon but the $$ part is what it comes down to. I’d keep anyone at vet minimum it’s all about the $$ is my point.
I don't think Savage fits at all for what Hafley is looking for. I think he's replaceable by a 3 day old ham sandwich.

Edit: For the record, I wouldn't offer Nixon more than 3 million and I wouldn't make that offer until after the draft, and only if needed for depth at multiple positions.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Savage is (necessarily) what is wanted at FS in single-high, but we also need a box safety. He played better this year closer to the LOS.

If, and I stress IF, he could be our box safety, there is value. We'll have to play some cover-2 and cover-4 regardless of the preferred alignment. If he can excel at SS and be okay as the other deep safety, that's wonderful.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well releasing savage kind of says they didn't make him a priority. I'm happy with the mckinney pick up though. He is only 24 and still going to get better. :)

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A lot of what has transpired in the last 48 hours is difficult to digest. Not that it is bad. It is just that living those years from 2005-2018 the offseason for GB always centered on the draft. Maybe a handful of moves over all those seasons. Indeed this is Un-Thompsonlike.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of what has transpired in the last 48 hours is difficult to digest. Not that it is bad. It is just that living those years from 2005-2018 the offseason for GB always centered on the draft. Maybe a handful of moves over all those seasons. Indeed this is Un-Thompsonlike.
Yeah; these are very definitely not the Ted Thompson Packers. There's no more ambiguity about that at all.

I like Nixon, but I struggle with this contract. When I look at some of the FA safeties who are actually effective safeties are getting these past couple of days, I don't understand how this is a good move. We still need at least one respectable, #2 safety/rotational player, and Nixon is not that. But several who fit that description have been signing for $5-7M, including Jeremy Chinn for 1yr/$5.2M. I think that would have been a far better use of that money.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First Nixon. I like having the player back, but the contract does seem rich. I am hoping to hear at some point how team-friendly it really is with loads of incentives, voidable years, and a low cap hit regardless.
Yeah; these are very definitely not the Ted Thompson Packers. There's no more ambiguity about that at all
Gute is still very draft-oriented, but the difference is that he is outpacing TT in the draft. Since he hit on so many young offensive weapons (and started to shed two massive contracts in Rodgers and Bahktiari), he has the space to play in FA. Ted's downfall was holding onto his picks too long and paying them too much to stay. He was a dad that believed in his kids too much, instead of just letting the rotten ones fail.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
First Nixon. I like having the player back, but the contract does seem rich. I am hoping to hear at some point how team-friendly it really is with loads of incentives, voidable years, and a low cap hit regardless.

Gute is still very draft-oriented, but the difference is that he is outpacing TT in the draft. Since he hit on so many young offensive weapons (and started to shed two massive contracts in Rodgers and Bahktiari), he has the space to play in FA. Ted's downfall was holding onto his picks too long and paying them too much to stay. He was a dad that believed in his kids too much, instead of just letting the rotten ones fail.
I think Thompson's downfall was not ordering McCarthy to fire Capers. Too many of Thompson's draft picks were becoming very good players in other NFL cities and I believe Capers effectively help ruin Raji's career.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Thompson's downfall was not ordering McCarthy to fire Capers. Too many of Thompson's draft picks were becoming very good players in other NFL cities and I believe Capers effectively help ruin Raji's career.

I do think Capers should have been let go before he was, but the only two formers that went on to do good work was Micah Hyde and Hayward.

Hyde wasn't a safety for us, more nickel back tweener. We had what looked to be an ascending pair in Dix and Burnett. Hindsight, oops, but at the time, a very reasonable decision.

Hayward is more complicated. Capers wanted strong, man 2 man corners on the boundary. Casey didn't really show that and he missed a fair amount of time leading up to his contract expiring. He might have benefited from a change of venue.

Raji I actually put on Thompson. We struggled to draft another good internal DL until we got Clark. That lead to Raji playing more than optimal based on his body type and role, and he burnt out.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I do think Capers should have been let go before he was, but the only two formers that went on to do good work was Micah Hyde and Hayward.

Hyde wasn't a safety for us, more nickel back tweener. We had what looked to be an ascending pair in Dix and Burnett. Hindsight, oops, but at the time, a very reasonable decision.

Hayward is more complicated. Capers wanted strong, man 2 man corners on the boundary. Casey didn't really show that and he missed a fair amount of time leading up to his contract expiring. He might have benefited from a change of venue.

Raji I actually put on Thompson. We struggled to draft another good internal DL until we got Clark. That lead to Raji playing more than optimal based on his body type and role, and he burnt out.
Capers moved him out away from the center in 2011. Bad move imo. It was clear to me when we drafted Hyde that he was more safety than a corner. If Capers had put Hyde at safety, we'd have probably never made the mistake of drafting Dix. Imo, Capers was a stubborn fool that refused to put players in their best position to succeed because he was totally entrenched in his d@mn scheme. In retrospect, Thompson should have probably fired McCarthy earlier for NOT firing Capers.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers moved him out away from the center in 2011. Bad move imo.

Honestly, I think moving Raji off the 0/1T position should make his life easier. 3T's generally have more pass rushing, less run defense responsibilities. And it let us keep Pickett at 0/1. I'm more annoyed about what happened after Pickett retired.

It was clear to me when we drafted Hyde that he was more safety than a corner. If Capers had put Hyde at safety, we'd have probably never made the mistake of drafting Dix. Imo, Capers was a stubborn fool that refused to put players in their best position to succeed because he was totally entrenched in his d@mn scheme.

I'm not sure how we used Hyde was wrong or that it would have changed drafting Dix. Hyde was a late 5th round pick in 2013, Dix was drafted in 2014. Hyde was a college CB. What they did in 2013 made all the sense in the world.

Hyde won the starting FS job over Dix as training camp broke in 2014 and was the starter until Week 7.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah; these are very definitely not the Ted Thompson Packers. There's no more ambiguity about that at all.

I like Nixon, but I struggle with this contract. When I look at some of the FA safeties who are actually effective safeties are getting these past couple of days, I don't understand how this is a good move. We still need at least one respectable, #2 safety/rotational player, and Nixon is not that. But several who fit that description have been signing for $5-7M, including Jeremy Chinn for 1yr/$5.2M. I think that would have been a far better use of that money.
And as much as it is great to have a returner on kickoffs most of them are touchbacks. We are hopeful just to have a punt returner who can hold on to the ball. I think Nixon got his contract because of the last return in Frisco. If that is a touchback who knows.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That was post whatever "medical issue" TT had which I think greatly affected his decision making.
When did Thompson's medical issues begin? I think in retrospect we'd have been better off without Capers by 2012.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Gute picked Nixon! 3yr/$18mil deal (incentives to $19.2mil).
And as much as it is great to have a returner on kickoffs most of them are touchbacks. We are hopeful just to have a punt returner who can hold on to the ball. I think Nixon got his contract because of the last return in Frisco. If that is a touchback who knows.

I look at it this way:

A) Nixon is way more valuable

He's actually three different players in one-a nickel corner, a safety (more on that later) AND an All-Pro level returner

Hence, why he basically signed a 3 for 20M deal exactly around the range I saw his value at

B) New scenery will work for Savage

Savage made the dagger pick six down in Big D so he'll always be GnG to me

With that being said he didn't duplicate it in Cali while Nixon at least had that big return late

Savage signed for 3y 21M; he will surely be a starter at S for the Jaguars moving forward

The talk became too negative around him returning despite his overall postseason flashes

He gets a clean slate in JAX and a chance to build on what he did as a member of the Green+Gold career wise

C) How Hafley will use Nixon

4-3 base I could definitely envision Nixon being the other starting S alongside McKinney + 3 off-ball LBs not named Gary/Smith

He's a better tackler than Savage and is the better man-to-man cover guy; m2m will be more emphasized in the new schematics of the D

Now when we take off an LB/guy from the front to go nickel we're in the enviable position of already being able to easily disguise coverages for one little nugget of a reason-our nickelback will likely already be on the field

Meaning, we could go 'base nickel' with SS1 go with an extra corner (CB3 CV) or go w/FS2 AJJ allowing McKinney to drop down and line up in a moneybacker-esque DB position

All the possibilities make it that more difficult to know if they're single high or split zone or man

Especially if the Pack, say, go bring back Hyde as a savvy vet with versatility to fill the SS1 spot in an actual reduced yet still technically 'starting' role within the secondary on a team-friendly 1 year contract

The net net of it is this-with K9 you're receiving 3-for-1 value at a million plus LESS than the price of a lower-tiered solid starting NFL DB in Savage

Gute can't beat that #GPG

Members online

Latest posts