Who is our #2 RB this year?

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your logic is sound. I guess Wilson can improve after a season, I’m just not a big fan. But yeah, he knows the playbook.

Also not a fan of a rookie RB in a weak year for RBs. With Dillon back, maybe Wilson does get the nod.

I still see Gluten picking two RBs, probably round 4 and round 7 or an UDFA.
I'm not against taking a hail Mary shot at a late round RB. My thoughts are that we already have a couple of those guys. I like mid rounds on project linemen...

The skill player who make an impact come from day one or two....

Like I said. We need a guy at Jacobs level, to replace him if he were to have a season ending injury. And looking forward to possibly competing for the starting job year 2 or 3...

One 2nd round pick now on one of those three I mentioned in the opening post. And we are literally stacked at the RB position current, and prepared for future. Set strong for 3 years minimum, barring catastrophe...

Having Wilson or Taylor doesn't do it for you. Then having 4 Wilson's and Taylor's won't do it either ... We need to shore up the position and be done. Imho

Reaction score
I'm not against taking a hail Mary shot at a late round RB. My thoughts are that we already have a couple of those guys. I like mid rounds on project linemen...

The skill player who make an impact come from day one or two....

Like I said. We need a guy at Jacobs level, to replace him if he were to have a season ending injury. And looking forward to possibly competing for the starting job year 2 or 3...

One 2nd round pick now on one of those three I mentioned in the opening post. And we are literally stacked at the RB position current, and prepared for future. Set strong for 3 years minimum, barring catastrophe...

Having Wilson or Taylor doesn't do it for you. Then having 4 Wilson's and Taylor's won't do it either ... We need to shore up the position and be done. Imho
I see RB or iLB (generally speaking) as positions you can have earlier success all the way inside that 150 overall area. Now I’m not suggesting waiting until #148 overall either. What I am saying is we have our RB1 and RB2. I’m totally comfortable waiting until even #168 (5th) if the board falls our way at other positions. If we see a LB or CB or OC or OT. at #88/#91/#127 that’s slipped a Round? I’m going that direction now.

I would’ve felt differently with Aaron Jones turning 30 this season and Wilson as our RB2. Josh Jacob’s should conceivably be good to go for 3 seasons. Now if My favorite Jonathan Brooks gets anywhere near #80’s range for injury/minimal production concerns? I’m trading up!

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I see RB or iLB (generally speaking) as positions you can have earlier success all the way inside that 150 overall area. Now I’m not suggesting waiting until #148 overall either. What I am saying is we have our RB1 and RB2. I’m totally comfortable waiting until even #168 (5th) if the board falls our way at other positions. If we see a LB or CB or OC or OT. at #88/#91/#127 that’s slipped a Round? I’m going that direction now.

I would’ve felt differently with Aaron Jones turning 30 this season and Wilson as our RB2. Josh Jacob’s should conceivably be good to go for 3 seasons. Now if My favorite Jonathan Brooks gets anywhere near #80’s range for injury/minimal production concerns? I’m trading up!
How many RB's you carrying on the 53 man roster?

If the answer is 3, you're running a significant risk of your mid round draft pick not making your roster.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think someone else is going to snatch DeJean up before we get a shot, but we'll take a tackle at 25 and either Nubin or Bullard on Day Two. Assuming Gute doesn't trade back out of Round One altogether, which honestly is a coin flip. Could go either way, depending on who's on the board.
Agreed. If they can't get DeJean at #25, and they probably can't, better to trade back and still get a good OT. Not a strong draft for safeties or RBs, so may be better to make multiple picks at those positions. I wouldn't be opposed to taking a WR early either as I don't believe Watson is gonna survive in the NFL.

Reaction score
The other thing about Jacobs is he’s one of the best pure Rushers in the league. Jones makes up for the difference as a dual threat RB. That said, The Packers flourished last year when Jones ramped up his Carry load. I suspect Jacobs gets a slightly bigger carry load than Aaron Jones had.

If the answer is 3, you're running a significant risk of your mid round draft pick not making your roster.
Wilson would go practice squad before say my Marshawn Lloyd type selection. Good point though you have to be careful.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The other thing about Jacobs is he’s one of the best pure Rushers in the league. Jones makes up for the difference as a dual threat RB. That said, The Packers flourished last year when Jones ramped up his Carry load. I suspect Jacobs gets a slightly bigger carry load than Aaron Jones had.

Wilson would go practice squad before say my Marshawn Lloyd type selection. Good point though you have to be careful.
Aghhh, people say that kind of stuff every year. I'm not knocking Lloyd, but if the Packers like Wilson, then take a guy like Lloyd in the 6th or 7th round. We've got roster shortages at safety, linebacker and offensive line potentially.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jacobs will surprise a lot of people with his receiving skills. He was known as a pass-catching threat in college, but was not used effectively in that role on a consistent basis with the Raiders. But he was 5th in the league in receptions by a running back in 2021 (5 spots ahead of Jones), and 10th in 22 (4 behind Jones). His career target/completion rate is .78, as compared to .75 for Jones. His average YAC stat (yards after catch) was roughly equal to Jones the last 3 years, but significantly better last year. (Source for all those figures - mostly statmuse.com, some nfl.com or ESPN.com).

I don't think we're giving up anything at all in the passing game, and one of the first things LaFleur told him was that he was expecting him to catch a lot of footballs. LaFleur talked about it in his press conference too, saying he's excited to design pass plays for him. At the time we played them last season, I believe he was the NFL's leading receiver out of the backfield, and Lafleur talked a lot about how Green Bay needed to be ready to defend him and take seriously the threat he posed coming out of backfield. So Green Bay knows he offers a lot in the passing game.

Take a little time to watch some of his highlight reels on Youtube - he's pretty to watch. He's a confident receiver, makes it look easy. Very sure hands, always looks the ball all the way into his hands before turning upfield, has excellent body control as he tracks the ball (so that he catches the ball cleanly and solidly), and just all around terrific pass catching technique and discipline. Always seems to already know exactly where he's going the instant the ball is secure, no hesitation or second thoughts - just tucks it in, pivots 90 degrees, and POW he's off. You watch him for a while, you can't help coming away from it feeling like you're seeing a guy with a complete set of well-developed skills as a receiver.

The more I see of this guy, the more excited I am about him. I think this was a wonderful addition. I love Aaron, always will. Will always miss him. But we all know he was going to need to be replaced within the next year or two anyway, and the more I see about Jacobs the more I think we could hardly have found a better replacement.

It's just going to be hard to get used to how many times we're going to see him get caught from behind or angled out of bounds by linebackers. We're not used to seeing that here, but it's going to be the new reality. He's got great burst, but he'll never have Aaron's top gear or breakaway speed. He accelerates to his terminal velocity very quickly, but once he's there, that's as fast as he's going to go. Hopefullly we draft someone with that ability, because they'd pair up perfectly. Linebackers and safeties would have a hard time adjusting.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Aren't there usually three RBs active on game day? It seemed like last year, when Jones was healthy, it was Jones, Dillon, and Wilson.

I see your point. If there are 3 RBs on the 53, it's possible they have to try and sneak another promising rookie or any player at another position onto the PS. My guess is that last year they had Jones and Dillon on the 53 and stashed Wilson on the PS for game day activation.

It's a good question and I'm only guessing.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aghhh, people say that kind of stuff every year. I'm not knocking Lloyd, but if the Packers like Wilson, then take a guy like Lloyd in the 6th or 7th round. We've got roster shortages at safety, linebacker and offensive line potentially.
I think one reason they switched Jacobs for Jones is so that they would 1) solidify the starting RB position, and 2) to your point, not have to spend an early draft pick on a RB in a draft weak on RBs anyway. I don't know that I'd wait until the 6th or 7th rounds, but then I don't like Wilson that much.

They now have higher-priority needs at LB, S, OL, and Edge, not in that order.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jacobs will surprise a lot of people with his receiving skills. He was known as a pass-catching threat in college, but was not used effectively in that role on a consistent basis with the Raiders. But he was 5th in the league in receptions by a running back in 2021 (5 spots ahead of Jones), and 10th in 22 (4 behind Jones). His career target/completion rate is .78, as compared to .75 for Jones. His average YAC stat (yards after catch) was roughly equal to Jones the last 3 years, but significantly better last year. (Source for all those figures - mostly statmuse.com, some nfl.com or ESPN.com).

I don't think we're giving up anything at all in the passing game, and one of the first things LaFleur told him was that he was expecting him to catch a lot of footballs. LaFleur talked about it in his press conference too, saying he's excited to design pass plays for him. At the time we played them last season, I believe he was the NFL's leading receiver out of the backfield, and Lafleur talked a lot about how Green Bay needed to be ready to defend him and take seriously the threat he posed coming out of backfield. So Green Bay knows he offers a lot in the passing game.

Take a little time to watch some of his highlight reels on Youtube - he's pretty to watch. He's a confident receiver, makes it look easy. Very sure hands, always looks the ball all the way into his hands before turning upfield, has excellent body control as he tracks the ball (so that he catches the ball cleanly and solidly), and just all around terrific pass catching technique and discipline. Always seems to already know exactly where he's going the instant the ball is secure, no hesitation or second thoughts - just tucks it in, pivots 90 degrees, and POW he's off. You watch him for a while, you can't help coming away from it feeling like you're seeing a guy with a complete set of well-developed skills as a receiver.

The more I see of this guy, the more excited I am about him. I think this was a wonderful addition. I love Aaron, always will. Will always miss him. But we all know he was going to need to be replaced within the next year or two anyway, and the more I see about Jacobs the more I think we could hardly have found a better replacement.

It's just going to be hard to get used to how many times we're going to see him get caught from behind or angled out of bounds by linebackers. We're not used to seeing that here, but it's going to be the new reality. He's got great burst, but he'll never have Aaron's top gear or breakaway speed. He accelerates to his terminal velocity very quickly, but once he's there, that's as fast as he's going to go. Hopefullly we draft someone with that ability, because they'd pair up perfectly. Linebackers and safeties would have a hard time adjusting.
Agreed. Not sure where the concerns about Jacobs' pass game are coming from. And lest we forget, he's 26. I hate to see Jones go, but keeping him for sentimental reasons is wrong. Even in MN, Jones took about a 50% pay cut I think. I'm sure he's pissed and will want some pay back.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have Jacobs potentially for 4 years, maybe even more if he works out. I don't think there is a huge rush to replace him. Compliment him absolutely but the urgency is nothing like it was before the swap. I hope we do draft one this year and I wouldn't even mind a fairly early pick but it has to be a guy they really like (I think that is Gute's MO anyway, he doesn't seem to reach) and if a guy they likes really falls I wouldn't balk at a second one but I would prefer not.
My choice of words wasn't very good. I do believe they need to hit on a RB in the draft, to bring along while Jacobs plays out his time here. There certainly isn't the urgency there was when it was just Jones, but RBs have short careers and are subject to injury. But yeah, with Dillon back, maybe draft one RB and wait for another draft with a better selection of RBs.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This post states my position to a T. The only thing I wasn't really aware of was your last paragraph because I've not really watched a whole lot of him on a consistent basis. Just highlights and they don't always show that if you are not really looking for it.

My choice of words wasn't very good. I do believe they need to hit on a RB in the draft, to bring along while Jacobs plays out his time here. There certainly isn't the urgency there was when it was just Jones, but RBs have short careers and are subject to injury. But yeah, with Dillon back, maybe draft one RB and wait for another draft with a better selection of RBs.

I didn't think that you meant they should be looking for his replacement in the near future. I guess what I disagreed with most was the draft 2 RBs. Your reasoning is sound. I've since deleted my post because I felt my reply was rather weak.

Agreed. Not sure where the concerns about Jacobs' pass game are coming from. And lest we forget, he's 26. I hate to see Jones go, but keeping him for sentimental reasons is wrong. Even in MN, Jones took about a 50% pay cut I think. I'm sure he's pissed and will want some pay back.
His 0 TDs. That's all I can think of. Its all that matters to some people and I guess its sort of logical. I mean how is it possible that a RB who is actually pretty good at catching the ball has no TDs. It stands to reason if he has no TDs he can't be a very good pass catcher. I disagree.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This post states my position to a T. The only thing I wasn't really aware of was your last paragraph because I've not really watched a whole lot of him on a consistent basis. Just highlights and they don't always show that if you are not really looking for it.

I didn't think that you meant they should be looking for his replacement in the near future. I guess what I disagreed with most was the draft 2 RBs. Your reasoning is sound. I've since deleted my post because I felt my reply was rather weak.

His 0 TDs. That's all I can think of. Its all that matters to some people and I guess its sort of logical. I mean how is it possible that a RB who is actually pretty good at catching the ball has no TDs. It stands to reason if he has no TDs he can't be a very good pass catcher. I disagree.
All good. As for pass catching, I think that's the key - a RB who can run routes, bail out a QB in trouble, catch the ball and pick up yards. TDs are certainly nice, but that's not the top metric I would use to evaluate a back who does more than run.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aren't there usually three RBs active on game day? It seemed like last year, when Jones was healthy, it was Jones, Dillon, and Wilson.

I see your point. If there are 3 RBs on the 53, it's possible they have to try and sneak another promising rookie or any player at another position onto the PS. My guess is that last year they had Jones and Dillon on the 53 and stashed Wilson on the PS for game day activation.

It's a good question and I'm only guessing.
Injuries play a big part. Jones was terrific in the final 5 weeks and the post season. But I could not see him carrying that load for a whole season. Even his injury in WK 1 last year was non-contact.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Not sure where the concerns about Jacobs' pass game are coming from.

My concern, if you want to call it that, is that what Jacobs is good at (in the passing game) isn't what Jones is good at. I don't see Jacobs being split out and succeeding the same way Jones could. The player you might want to target is a shifty receiving type RB to fill some of the gap. Wouldn't surprise me if they take someone earlier if he's a threat in the passing game. Wouldn't surprise me if they stand pat and take a late rough flyer.

I full expect Jacobs to do well over-all in the passing game and get plenty of catches and yards.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My concern, if you want to call it that, is that what Jacobs is good at (in the passing game) isn't what Jones is good at. I don't see Jacobs being split out and succeeding the same way Jones could. The player you might want to target is a shifty receiving type RB to fill some of the gap. Wouldn't surprise me if they take someone earlier if he's a threat in the passing game. Wouldn't surprise me if they stand pat and take a late rough flyer.

I full expect Jacobs to do well over-all in the passing game and get plenty of catches and yards.
Good point. It wasn’t unusual for Jones to line up outside. Hard to see Jacobs doing that. Jones was finesse, Jacobs is power.

Reaction score

I agree with most of this. I just watched 3 condensed games from 2022. Mostly I was watching to see what type blocker we were talking about. He did whiff on a few blocks but it was often against guys like Mack. That guy throws Left Tackles around I forgot how strong he is.

One thing I noticed very quickly. My concerns about Josh overall speed were dispelled. Jacobs seems to play faster than his Pro Day times.

I’m not sure that Jones isn’t a hair better overall RB. But it’s hard to Imagine Jones not slowing down soon. I’d probably take Jones this season by a nose. I’m just hoping
Josh is healed up good.

Reaction score
Plus. You can’t guarantee our RB doesn’t miss time. Both Jacob’s and Jones have missed multiple games recently. I’m not afraid to Roster 4 guys if needed. They know more than I do about Wilson. As of now he’s a Sophomore RB that was undradted from Denver.This banking on him is a bit premature. Maybe he is maybe he isn’t but I’m not ignoring RB because I’m scared of losing Wilson that I’m 100% sure of. If a RB I have at #75 overall is there at #91 he’s getting gift wrapped and overnighted to GB. Wilson can earn his spot by showing me he’s Trey Benson or Braelon Allen. I think we’re putting waaay too much stock in Emmanuel Wilson. He’s a great 3rd-4th look. Past that it’s too early to crown him Jacobs successor.

We’re 1 Injury to Jacobs or Dillon away from a major hole and this O functions best with a good RB. It didn’t do well at all with Dillon last year as RB1 and I’m Not sure why you think Dillon or Wilson can handle Jacob’s role if he misses time. I’m drafting Braelon Allen if he’s there late Day2

Worse case scenario we have too many good RB’s? That’s a good problem to have

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus. You can’t guarantee our RB doesn’t miss time. Both Jacob’s and Jones have missed multiple games recently. I’m not afraid to Roster 4 guys if needed. They know more than I do about Wilson. As of now he’s a Sophomore RB that was undradted from Denver.This banking on him is a bit premature. Maybe he is maybe he isn’t but I’m not ignoring RB because I’m scared of losing Wilson that I’m 100% sure of. If a RB I have at #75 overall is there at #91 he’s getting gift wrapped and overnighted to GB. Wilson can earn his spot by showing me he’s Trey Benson or Braelon Allen. I think we’re putting waaay too much stock in Emmanuel Wilson. He’s a great 3rd-4th look. Past that it’s too early to crown him Jacobs successor.

We’re 1 Injury to Jacobs or Dillon away from a major hole and this O functions best with a good RB. It didn’t do well at all with Dillon last year as RB1 and I’m Not sure why you think Dillon or Wilson can handle Jacob’s role if he misses time. I’m drafting Braelon Allen if he’s there late Day2

And Jones big injury last season happened in WK 1 without contact. He had so much free track to run that day that his hamstring just gave out. There are only a very few every down RBs in the NFL any more.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have a couple favorites too. I'm not going to mentions them yet, because I don't want the football gods to jinx us. But I found a RB, DT, and WR that kind of rocks my world..... All should be 3-5 rounders imo. Unless a GM is seeing what I see, as far as potential goes. ;) Knock on wood.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My thoughts exactly. The three guys I mentioned in my opening post are definitely worthy of day 2 picks. And I found a 4th that I love..... I'm a sucker for short thick, quick, strong, and fairly fast(very fast for their size) type of RBs.... Barry Sanders, Maurice Jones-Drew types.... And that the Marshawn Lloyd pick that was mentioned. He is going to be a good NFL RB. (Bet!).... My top pick is the physical freak Isaac Guerendo. 6'1" 225 , 4.33/40...41.5" very..... Either of those two would have me giddy.

Reaction score
I have a couple favorites too. I'm not going to mentions them yet, because I don't want the football gods to jinx us. But I found a RB, DT, and WR that kind of rocks my world..... All should be 3-5 rounders imo. Unless a GM is seeing what I see, as far as potential goes. ;) Knock on wood.
Yeah don’t jinx us!
Something I noticed in 3 different Mocks. That DT position is super thick in RD4 area (give or take a 1/2 round)

A few weeks back I did a round by round (consensus) by position. WR was the #1 most loaded position both at the Top and throughout. Surprisingly QB offered plenty of options in that Top 200.

For the most part. RB’s, Safeties and LB’s really didn’t get going good until RD2. But there’s lots of options
RD2-5

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah don’t jinx us!
Something I noticed in 3 different Mocks. That DT position is super thick in RD4 area (give or take a 1/2 round)

A few weeks back I did a round by round (consensus) by position. WR was the #1 most loaded position both at the Top and throughout. Surprisingly QB offered plenty of options in that Top 200.

For the most part. RB’s, Safeties and LB’s really didn’t get going good until RD2. But there’s lots of options
RD2-5
I couldn't help it..... I'll throw some salt over my shoulder., and leave an offering tonight.

Members online

Latest posts