What Safety is there at 12? Or Hockenson ~ the next Gronk

D

Deleted member 6794

No, Hockenson isn't on my GAME CHANGER LIST and people that think there gonna draft him that high with paying Graham the $ they are need to get there head examined. Signing Lewis was the final nail in the coffin on Hockenson not even being considered as Lewis can more then handle the blocking duties.

The Packers guaranteeing Lewis $500K won't have any affect on the team selecting Hockenson if they consider him the BVA at #12.

No TE as slow as him has ever been drafted in the 1st round.

There have been several successful tight ends not running the 40 faster than Hockenson. It doesn't matter in which round they were drafted. If the Packers want to select him they will most likely have to use the 12th pick on him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CGJ played slot corner more out of a necessity than anything else. UF was a little thin at corner and being the athlete he is CFB is all about getting your best athletes on the field and letting them make plays, same as the NFL though with less technique. Savage you could paint in a similar light as well.

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
CGJ played slot corner more out of a necessity than anything else. UF was a little thin at corner and being the athlete he is CFB is all about getting your best athletes on the field and letting them make plays, same as the NFL though with less technique. Savage you could paint in a similar light as well.
CGJ actually played safety in 2017 out of necessity. I forget who got injured, but he stepped in at safety due to injury. He also struggled at times at safety that year.

In 2018 he went back to CB and played nearly all slot corner last year. The coaches felt that was his best position and where he was most productive.

Many scouts feel he would be best used as a slot CB in the NFL.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL Network had Packers drafting Fant at 12 and AJ Brown at 30 yesterday and Oliver falling to #18 to the Vikings.

I'd seriously contemplate finding a whole new team to cheer for if that happened.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
NFL Network had Packers drafting Fant at 12 and AJ Brown at 30 yesterday and Oliver falling to #18 to the Vikings.

I'd seriously contemplate finding a whole new team to cheer for if that happened.

Switch Oliver for Fant and I would be pretty excited about that outcome.

I don't get too worked up over Mocks, since once you get past the first few picks, few are correct. But, I do see a lot of Mocks having the Packers using that #12 pick on Oliver, Hochenson or Fant.

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Was it Bucky Brooks?

Daniel Jeremiah normally is pretty good. Brooks just seems clueless.

The A.J. Brown pick at #30 I wouldn't totally hate.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Switch Oliver for Fant and I would be pretty excited about that outcome.

I don't get too worked up over Mocks, since once you get past the first few picks, few are correct. But, I do see a lot of Mocks having the Packers using that #12 pick on Oliver, Hochenson or Fant.

Bingo. Replace Fant with Oliver.....do what you want at 30. I'd already be sold.

My unprofessional take is, please don't take your foot off the gas on defense. I like the FA moves, I think a piece like Oliver can help get over the hump.

D

Deleted member 6794

My unprofessional take is, please don't take your foot off the gas on defense. I like the FA moves, I think a piece like Oliver can help get over the hump.

I would definitely be in favor of drafting Oliver if he's still on the board at #12 but the Packers have to improve the offense in this year's draft as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bingo. Replace Fant with Oliver.....do what you want at 30. I'd already be sold.

While I definitely would like to see Oliver at #12, I do believe they need to invest more in the offense. AJ Brown at #30 would be a step in the right direction. Then a RT and TE relatively high.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oliver and P. Campbell would be amazing. AJ Brown doesn't do much for us.

In my ideal draft for the Packers it would go:

#12: Oliver
#30: Fant
#45: Campbell/Samuel

I think all 3 of those players might be available at each of those picks and all 3 would see a lot of playing time, as well as contribute this year.

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I think all 3 of those players might be available at each of those picks and all 3 would see a lot of playing time, as well as contribute this year.
Are you picking for who u think will be there or who would be your dream 3 picks? I am almost weirded out by intelligent knowledgeable people who want Fant over Hock.:D

I can understand someone taking Oliver first if he is there at 12 and then thinking Hock will be gone at #30. I personally wouldn't take Fant at #30 in that scenario, but I can understand your thinking.

I don't like your WR's either, but I really want to know if you prefer Fant as TE for the Pack over Hock if you choose between just those 2?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Are you picking for who u think will be there or who would be your dream 3 picks? I am almost weirded out by intelligent knowledgeable people who want Fant over Hock.:D

I can understand someone taking Oliver first if he is there at 12 and then thinking Hock will be gone at #30. I personally wouldn't take Fant at #30 in that scenario, but I can understand your thinking.

I don't like your WR's either, but I really want to know if you prefer Fant as TE for the Pack over Hock if you choose between just those 2?

That is based on who I think has a chance of being there at those picks. I wouldn't mind Hoch at 12, but prefer Oliver. Hock won't be there at 30, but Fant might. I prefer Fant over Smith and after Smith, there is a sharp drop off I feel.

As far as WR's, I would prefer AJ Brown over either of those 2 guys, but I don't think he will be there at 45 and if he is there at 30, then its a toss up.....between taking him or Fant (if there) if Fant is gone, take Brown at 30 and shoot for Sternberger later on.

Basically, my 3 picks are based on how I think the first 45 picks could play out as far as who will be there for the Packers to pick.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

That would be a WINNER. Oliver would be the final piece up front. Fant would really be a TE that can stretch the seam like no other the Packers have ever had. Add Campbell's speed and explosion to the slot and I would be salavating.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
?

Umm, maybe because they value elite speed from the TE position.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the target at 30 is going to be NKeal Harry.

Don't think anyone on our wishlist will be there at 12, so I'm thinking they'll trade back, or take an OT as the best value.

Think Gute will be looking to move around to get the players he wants at the right value.

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Umm, maybe because they value elite speed from the TE position.
Yeah because the difference between 4.50 and 4.70 is so huge that one can forget that Fant is a horrible blocker and can't make contested catches.

You said you really liked TE Jace Sternberger for the Pack in the draft.

Jace Sternberger's 40 time: 4.75

You just have this fake wild hate for Hock because you know a lot of people like him and you like to get a rise out people and the attention it affords you. The game you're playing is almost as old as that pic of T.J. you use to troll people.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hockenson is one i've actually got to watch on a fairly regular basis last year. I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't like him? He can move, he can block, and it seems if he can put a hand on it, he's catching it regardless of who's on him. Seems to have a great football mentality too. I'm not sure what there would be to dislike?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yeah because the difference between 4.50 and 4.70 is so huge that one can forget that Fant is a horrible blocker and can't make contested catches.

You said you really liked TE Jace Sternberger for the Pack in the draft.

Jace Sternberger's 40 time: 4.75

You just have this fake wild hate for Hock because you know a lot of people like him and you like to get a rise out people and the attention it affords you. The game you're playing is almost as old as that pic of T.J. you use to troll people.

I have the pic because I lost a bet. Jace Sternberger I like as a 3rd round prospect. the difference between 4.5 and 4.75 can be everything at times in the NFL. I am not for drafting players that lack elite athletic ability in the 1st round and especially at the TE position. Makes zero sense unless you are like the Seahawks and run a Schottenheimer offense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Unless it's the year that Charles Harris came out, and then Brandon demands that we take a lack of elite athletic ability in the 1st round and you are an IDIOT if you don't see it that way.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be a WINNER. Oliver would be the final piece up front. Fant would really be a TE that can stretch the seam like no other the Packers have ever had. Add Campbell's speed and explosion to the slot and I would be salavating.

Oh great. Another thread turned into a Parris Campbell thread.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Unless it's the year that Charles Harris came out, and then Brandon demands that we take a lack of elite athletic ability in the 1st round and you are an IDIOT if you don't see it that way.

Well of course Edge would rate higher on the VALUE LIST then TE and the urgency to reach a little there. I see ZERO REASONS to reach for a TE if your the Packers.