What if Rodgers gets hurt again....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wtf?

Not sure if we leave this open for the laugh factor, or lock it to avoid the laugh factor

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

You took the words right out of my mouth. Maybe ask the "Gravedigger" back too. Just as a back up course !

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers goes down, we're screwed. The idea of Favre coming back is a cross between comical and lunacy.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Green Bay not taking the back up qb spot seriously.. they will simply be doomed lol u think they would have fixed that problem after Rodgers injuries etc.. like it’s okay to spend a a little money on a adequate back up..

D

Deleted member 6794

With Green Bay not taking the back up qb spot seriously.. they will simply be doomed lol u think they would have fixed that problem after Rodgers injuries etc.. like it’s okay to spend a a little money on a adequate back up..

I would prefer the Packers to have a veteran backup quarterback as well but they didn't have a lot of cap space to work with to sign one this offseason.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer the Packers to have a veteran backup quarterback as well but they didn't have a lot of cap space to work with to sign one this offseason.
Do u think after preseason if there is cuts made they could go after a veteran? If they cut tramon they could snag one but I think they are set on keeping him

D

Deleted member 6794

Do u think after preseason if there is cuts made they could go after a veteran? If they cut tramon they could snag one but I think they are set on keeping him

I think the Packers will enter the season with Kizer being the backup.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like what? any vet with any amount of experience is going to cost some cash. Should we be like Da Bears and pay a guy like Chase Daniels 6-7 million per to be a back up? Get Case Keenum for 7 million? Even a guy like Brett Hundley is still getting about 2 million. What does that tell you? You'd give a million bucks to Blake Bortles? that guys is taking nobody anywhere.

It's the reality we face with a guy like Rodgers. How much cap do you use on a position that will never be close to the guy he's replacing? There's a lot of garbage out there we could get for a couple million bucks and this year, we don't really have that couple million to spend if we want to have any ability to adapt to in season injuries or an unexpected player being made available.

and they traded a 2nd round player for a 2nd round QB. I wouldn't say they don't take it seriously, they just understand how much they can dedicate to a player they hope never see's the field and the cap.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate freaking threads like this. I mean seriously? What do you think? We're screwed obviously. Why even speak that into existence with something like this? Yes I'm superstitious. It's crap that this, we're going to back to should that happens heaven forbid. But I agree with Cheese Headed Monster. Should he go down, we need to draft a replacement, and in all honesty, I would consider trading him. Some team would be stupid enough to sell the entire stock for him. I'd hate to see him leave, but I'm a Packers fan first.

H

HardRightEdge

Like what? any vet with any amount of experience is going to cost some cash. Should we be like Da Bears and pay a guy like Chase Daniels 6-7 million per to be a back up? Get Case Keenum for 7 million? Even a guy like Brett Hundley is still getting about 2 million. What does that tell you? You'd give a million bucks to Blake Bortles? that guys is taking nobody anywhere.

It's the reality we face with a guy like Rodgers. How much cap do you use on a position that will never be close to the guy he's replacing? There's a lot of garbage out there we could get for a couple million bucks and this year, we don't really have that couple million to spend if we want to have any ability to adapt to in season injuries or an unexpected player being made available.

and they traded a 2nd round player for a 2nd round QB. I wouldn't say they don't take it seriously, they just understand how much they can dedicate to a player they hope never see's the field and the cap.
Actually, Washington is paying Keenum for one year at $3.5 mil in trade. He may have agreed to the pre-trade renegotiation to that number because it was Washington where he has a good chance to start and an opportunity to earn a decent next contract.

Chicago signed Daniel to a 2 year deal for $5 mil per year, 6 months before the Mack signing when they had the cap to do it with a resulting low QB budget expenditure. These two QBs together have a total 2 year cap cost for 2018-2019 of about $25 mil. That's some cheap quarterbacking. Besides, do you think you would win anything with Chase Daniel? I don't.

Of course the most recent example (and maybe the best ever in the salary cap era) of a backup being particularly handy was Nick Foles. It was $11 mil for 2 years in 2017, then a big raise for 2018 in negotiation after winning that SB with Wentz's timeline uncertain. However you cut it, with Wentz on one of those cheap rookie deals, their QB spend was modest compared to franchise QB pay.

So while your examples are not quite right, the point is well taken. Teams paying top dollar to their starting QBs are not going to be able to afford a decently credentialed backup.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's not like the Packers are contenders without rodgers. we're not the eagles of a couple of years ago. a veteran qb would just come in and mess up the draft position.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's not like the Packers are contenders without rodgers. we're not the eagles of a couple of years ago. a veteran qb would just come in and mess up the draft position.
You probably might like this idea, but I suggested should this happen (heaven forbid) I would consider the option of trading him. Better we get something from him before it's too late. Definitely draft a new QB.

Reaction score
There’s a lot riding on Aaron Rodgers health. This is why I’m always preachy about putting more resources into our O Line (similar to 2019, this should be the norm until #12 retires).
You don’t go out and buy 1,000,000 home and then try to save a few hundred getting substandard insurance to protect it. You always insure your biggest investment heavily and it makes smart financial sense to apply that here.

That said. The backup QB position is more important than we realize and yes, if you can find a solid backup for 6-7M (in general) and you’re a team with adequate cap space or the ability to make room for this you should IMO. You should also draft a QB in the middle rounds more often as a third than we do.

If we retain a backup QB that can win .500+ pretty regular? we stand a larger chance of staying alive until our starter is back. We have to understand the likelihood that not all QB injuries are season ending. We have to be as prepared to accommodate that situation as any position and more. A concussion alone can easily put a QB out for a smooth 2-4 weeks. We need to do a better job going forward of both drafting a QB and retaining a veteran at the same time. Ron Wolf understood this all to well.

We also stand the chance that every so often you get a Matt Flynn type reliable backup that doesn’t present a cap hit. In which case you can cut your proven veteran. Right now, I’m not sure we possess either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any back up that can win .500+ with regularity is going to be a well compensated starter. Unless you drafted and developed or got a steal after a devastating injury and they actually come back and are able to perform that scenario is highly unlikely.

Reaction score
Any back up that can win .500+ with regularity is going to be a well compensated starter. Unless you drafted and developed or got a steal after a devastating injury and they actually come back and are able to perform that scenario is highly unlikely.
True. If we actually had a D that could hold their own ..15-19Pts/Gm this would be much more attainable.

I will never be upset if we spend 7M Or 9M for that matter or so on a backup and he never sees the field as long as #12 is in the huddle. I also won’t be upset if I have great homeowners and my house doesn’t burn down.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you think a back up QB that will never come close to Aaron Rodgers level would be money better spent than getting Zdarius or Amos? Or giving Adams an extension? Let Kenny Clark walk?

It’s not like homeowners insurance, that gets me a new house. It’s more like paying new home construction costs for a mobile home replacement to sit in your driveway

D

Deleted member 6794

If Rodgers gets injured again this year, we draft a replacement. Period.

Unfortunately it won't be easy drafting an adequate replacement for Rodgers.

Should he go down, we need to draft a replacement, and in all honesty, I would consider trading him. Some team would be stupid enough to sell the entire stock for him. I'd hate to see him leave, but I'm a Packers fan first.

There's no way the Packers trade Rodgers as they would take an additional cap hit in 2020. How much would depend on when the move is made.

A veteran quarterback might be able to keep the Packers in playoff contention if Rodgers ends up missing only some games though.

The backup QB position is more important than we realize and yes, if you can find a solid backup for 6-7M (in general) and you’re a team with adequate cap space or the ability to make room for this you should IMO. You should also draft a QB in the middle rounds more often as a third than we do.

There's no way the Packers should spend that kind of money on a backup quarterback.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
We're forgetting the stories that Lafleur's offense is "system" based, (there's more to it than that but I'm keeping it simple). One would hope that Kizer can not only step into this offense, but succeed at it, to the point we can win a few games.

If the O-line can block and the receivers can get open and the D is improved enough to not only stop the other team from scoring but actually get a few TDs for us for a change (SQUEE!!!!! okay I'm better), we might be okay.

If the O-line can't do it, (big ask with Mack and Flowers 2x per year), then Gute failed us this year and he should be banned from the group. :)