What do you REALLY think Rodgers would garner in a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He (the o.p.) says "it's his what? Job. IMO "his" in this statement is AR. IMO since the name Rodgers is in the title of this thread that makes me even a little more confident IMO. IMO you are the only one talking about anyone besides AR. The rest of us are commenting on AR and the current situation in which he, IMO, was able to choose whether or not he was going to play with a new team, therefore changing employers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He (the o.p.) says "it's his what? Job. IMO "his" in this statement is AR. IMO since the name Rodgers is in the title of this thread that makes me even a little more confident IMO. IMO you are the only one talking about anyone besides AR. The rest of us are commenting on AR and the current situation in which he, IMO, was able to choose whether or not he was going to play with a new team, therefore changing employers.
While I understand your need and desire to be the squeaky wheel in other peoples discussions, you should either go back to when the discussion started or stay out of it....IMO of course.

I said it was ok for him to choose where he wants to be employed like every other person working in the United States of America

Reaction score
You are late to the party. The OP said this:

Why wouldn't we talk about every player in the NFL? If it's some special "Aaron Rodgers Rule" that I am missing, enlighten me. If the OP wants the NFL players to be allowed to quit one job and resign with another team of their choosing to "start another job", whenever they fancy, the NFL would have a real problem. All I am hearing from a poster like that is "F contracts and owners, players should have the same rights that we do." They do, they can quit the NFL at anytime and go shop jobs, but as long as they are in the NFL, they have to abide by the rules of the NFL. View it as a "non-compete clause", if it makes it easier to understand.

Now any player, including Rodgers, can go back and haggle with the team on changing contract terms, as can the team with the player. Rodgers and the Packers seem to have come to a mutual agreement, its time to end the relationship and thus end the contract. This doesn't make Rodgers a free agent, to negotiate a new deal. What he got out of the agreement was a say in where he would be traded to. Meanwhile, the Packers are working on the trade deal with that team, the Jets. Rodgers should not have any say in or influence on what assets (besides himself) that the trade involves. Yet, if reports/rumors/speculation are true, once again Rodgers has and continues to do what he does best, manipulate the system to serve his own agenda.
I don't like the idea of players running things and/or determining which team they play for (unless they are a free agent) either. It's not so much because I think players should be loyal to a franchise, this is a business after all, I just don't want the pros to be like college where it's the same teams winning all of the time because it's not a truly level playing field due to the fact of players preferring certain schools and programs.

With that being said, not to change subject, but I do think non-compete clauses are generally a bad thing when not in the sports world. I think it is just a way for employers to make it harder for employees to leave for a different employer that offers better wages and working conditions.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't like the idea of players running things and/or determining which team they play for (unless they are a free agent) either. It's not so much because I think players should be loyal to a franchise, this is a business after all, I just don't want the pros to be like college where it's the same teams winning all of the time because it's not a truly level playing field due to the fact of players preferring certain schools and programs.
Agree and we have a thread about the College Portal and NIL money, if you want to chime in. I think a great discussion for years to come.

Back to the NFL, I agree with you on that too. It seems to be happening more and more, many of the top players at each position, are wanting to dictate terms mid contract. That was one thing I appreciated about Davante Adams, he kept his mouth shut and waited for his contract to expire. I would be fine with performance escalator clauses being put into contracts, but that should be a 2 way clause. If a players performance drops, then his salary should too. A guy like Budah Baker gets $33M in guaranteed money and with 2 years left on his contract, he now wants more. Yet, had his play dropped off, the team is still on the hook for the guaranteed money. The guaranteed money for both the owners and players in the NFL is way out of hand, as is the greed that both have.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why wouldn't we talk about every player in the NFL? If it's some special "Aaron Rodgers Rule" that I am missing, enlighten me. If the OP wants the NFL players to be allowed to quit one job and resign with another team of their choosing to "start another job", whenever they fancy, the NFL would have a real problem. All I am hearing from a poster like that is "F contracts and owners, players should have the same rights that we do." They do, they can quit the NFL at anytime and go shop jobs, but as long as they are in the NFL, they have to abide by the rules of the NFL. View it as a "non-compete clause", if it makes it easier to understand.

Now any player, including Rodgers, can go back and haggle with the team on changing contract terms, as can the team with the player. Rodgers and the Packers seem to have come to a mutual agreement, its time to end the relationship and thus end the contract. This doesn't make Rodgers a free agent, to negotiate a new deal. What he got out of the agreement was a say in where he would be traded to. Meanwhile, the Packers are working on the trade deal with that team, the Jets. Rodgers should not have any say in or influence on what assets (besides himself) that the trade involves. Yet, if reports/rumors/speculation are true, once again Rodgers has and continues to do what he does best, manipulate the system to serve his own agenda.

Look Rodgers is in position to choose where he would like to work. He chose the Jets after the Packers chose Jordan Love...im not sure what "rule" Rodgers has broken according to you but I dont see

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Look Rodgers is in position to choose where he would like to work. He chose the Jets after the Packers chose Jordan Love...im not sure what "rule" Rodgers has broken according to you but I dont see
Not sure what Jordan Love has to do with this, the Packers drafted him almost 3 years ago. Doing that, didn't suddenly give Rodgers any more or any less power. Rodgers is only in a position to choose where he wants to play, because the Packers allowed it. I understand that you THINK he and any NFL player should have the right to choose where they play, but it doesn't work that way.

Simple question for you. If Jaire Alexander decided he wanted to play for the Jets too, should the Packers be required to make it happen? The statement below gives me what I think should be your answer.

thequick12 said:
I said it was ok for him to choose where he wants to be employed like every other person working in the United States of America.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not pretend the Packers moving Rodgers to the Jets isn't without it's benefits to the team too.

This is hardly a case of Rodgers says, I want to play for the Jets, trade me.

Out one side of the mouth from some is, nobody wants to trade much for an old QB who is waffling on retirement. and they're right, he's a perfect fit for a very select few teams.

And out the other side of their mouth is, He won't play for anybody else and is dictating too much about when and where he wants to play.
I'd ask which it is, but I know the answer is obviously "both" because it paints Rodgers in the worst possible light LOL

Jaire is young, Jaire has a workable career expectancy left, Jaire doesn't give us a monumental amount of cap relief if we can unload him this year vs. taking the hit next year and paying that big bonus at the seasons start. Very different situation. I"m betting as we get closer to Jaire being at a very respectable retirement age with a massive cap hit looming and there is someone who wants to trade for him and he says i'll play for them. GB will be happy to oblige then too.

This isn't a one way street with Rodgers right now. It's disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what Jordan Love has to do with this, the Packers drafted him almost 3 years ago. Doing that, didn't suddenly give Rodgers any more or any less power. Rodgers is only in a position to choose where he wants to play, because the Packers allowed it. I understand that you THINK he and any NFL player should have the right to choose where they play, but it doesn't work that way.

Simple question for you. If Jaire Alexander decided he wanted to play for the Jets too, should the Packers be required to make it happen? The statement below gives me what I think should be your answer.

thequick12 said:
I said it was ok for him to choose where he wants to be employed like every other person working in the United States of America.

Well if were being realistic, Jaire Alexander is good enough that he likely could do that. Yes it would not work for some other players. Because they have a basic supply and demand problem. There is a bigger supply of lets call it a "Tyler Davis" than there is demand for similar type players. While there is a smaller supply of "Jaire Alexander" type players than there is demand for Jaire Alexander type players.

And that is how it works for every other person working in the USA. If youre really good at a job you can pretty much choose where you wanna work...if youre not so good at something youre going to be much more limited in your options

As for, whats Love got to do with it...I was referring to the Packers decision to go with Love as the starter moving forward

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers should not have any say in or influence on what assets (besides himself) that the trade involves. Yet, if reports/rumors/speculation are true, once again Rodgers has and continues to do what he does best, manipulate the system to serve his own agenda.

You really need to stop believing any random source out there mentioning something negative about Rodgers. I guarantee that he's not involved in negotiations between the Packers and the Jets.

That was one thing I appreciated about Davante Adams, he kept his mouth shut and waited for his contract to expire.

Actually Adams forced a trade after the Packers put the franchise tag on him despite the team wanting to retain him.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are late to the party. The OP said this:

That is pretty much what I was getting at. And he did answer questions on his worth. And that was before Gute said that we didn’t necessarily needed a first rounder. And that is fine, but Rodgers should just shut his trap and let the front office do what they do. That 90% saying he was going to retire comment which was supposedly after the meeting with the Jets brass muddled things up. I still think this trade goes down. It might be when pick 13 comes up.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not that Purdy came right out and said he won't be playing in 2023, but the fact that he isn't sure if he will be able to, might spark some more 49'er interest in Rodgers. There cap space and 2023 draft assets aren't that favorable for such a thing to happen, but I am sure they could figure out a way to work around the cap and use future picks to pay for Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And that is fine, but Rodgers should just shut his trap and let the front office do what they do. That 90% saying he was going to retire comment which was supposedly after the meeting with the Jets brass muddled things up.
Agree. Rodgers is a master manipulator and game player, just look at how he plays the game of football. He matches his on the field game, with the one he plays off the field too. Carefully choosing his words and then feigning innocence or agitation when rumors start. Then he wonders why people misquote/misunderstand him or connect the dots wrong. All part of his game and a way to pretend that he hates being under a spotlight, when in fact, he loves it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well if were being realistic, Jaire Alexander is good enough that he likely could do that. Yes it would not work for some other players. Because they have a basic supply and demand problem. There is a bigger supply of lets call it a "Tyler Davis" than there is demand for similar type players. While there is a smaller supply of "Jaire Alexander" type players than there is demand for Jaire Alexander type players.

And that is how it works for every other person working in the USA. If youre really good at a job you can pretty much choose where you wanna work...if youre not so good at something youre going to be much more limited in your options
This doesn't match what you were saying a few posts ago.

I said it was ok for him to choose where he wants to be employed like every other person working in the United States of America

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. Rodgers is a master manipulator and game player, just look at how he plays the game of football. He matches his on the field game, with the one he plays off the field too. Carefully choosing his words and then feigning innocence or agitation when rumors start. Then he wonders why people misquote/misunderstand him or connect the dots wrong. All part of his game and a way to pretend that he hates being under a spotlight, when in fact, he loves it.
He really is an odd duck. Pretty much a narcissist. He might be a borderline genius who is so bored with life that he thrives on agitation. I think I am softening the blow for when he actually does leave. I did the same with Favre. This past month or two is making it easier to see him leave.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How not? Please explain

Simple.

You said "it was ok for him to choose where he wants to be employed like every other person working in the United States of America"

I assume that you consider all NFL players to be included in that group? I mean they are working in the US, right?

I also assume that you know that only Free agents or players with no trade agreements have the right to choose where they work within the NFL? Even some Free Agents can be subject to waiver wire claims and not have that freedom of choice.

Finally, is Rodgers a free agent or does he have a no trade clause in his contract?

Now you are trying to back up what you started to say was a right of every American to add exceptions to your rule, by saying this:

"And that is how it works for every other person working in the USA. If youre really good at a job you can pretty much choose where you wanna work...if youre not so good at something youre going to be much more limited in your options."

I can name 30 pretty darn good football players, do you think they should all have the right to choose which team they play for? You know, because they are really good at their job.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

That is pretty much what I was getting at. And he did answer questions on his worth. And that was before Gute said that we didn’t necessarily needed a first rounder. And that is fine, but Rodgers should just shut his trap and let the front office do what they do. That 90% saying he was going to retire comment which was supposedly after the meeting with the Jets brass muddled things up. I still think this trade goes down. It might be when pick 13 comes up.

Once again, I'm asking you to link to a video in which Rodgers mentioned anything about what the Jets should give up for him in return. As far as I know the only one who commented on it was Gutekunst when he mentioned the team doesn't necessarily need a first rounder in return.

As mentioned over and over again, it's ridiculous to suggest the Jets weren't aware that Rodgers might only play for a single season with them long before he appeared on the McAfee show.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and again, I do not think this is remotely close to a situation where Rodgers said, "I'm done with you GB, trade me to the Jets or else".

We all saw it, and it was commented on extensively even before the season ended, just how much the front office would like to move on from Rodgers. Pretty much everyone of us has said, it is time to move on, the window is closed, last year would have been optimal to move on with timing especially with the benefit of hindsight it's even more obvious but Rodgers level of play made it pretty difficult to do.

So how does that now become, and I paraphrase, "Rodgers is such an egomanical narcissist so driven to manipulate the situation he's dictating where he's going to play next"?

How do you rectify in your minds what we already knew heading in, very few teams would be in on a 40 year old QB with a big contract, but for those very select few teams he would be pretty valuable in terms of a potential super bowl run vs what is running their team now.

For me, it was Jets or Miami. even if we add in some of the more unlikely like Raiders, 49ers who would be an excellent destination, but have no capital to offer, that's what 4 teams? 2 of which were never serious contenders to me, so 2 teams? But this is all Rodgers dictating where he wants to go, right? right...
I think it's normal for guys to prefer some team over another. Adams preferred the Raiders over the Packers. After all was said and done, it's quite obvious he said i'm not playing for you, trade me, and trade me to the Raiders and they did. I don't hold any of it against him. he was a great player here, he preferred to go elsewhere.

but with Rodgers and some of you. He's been a great player and the reality of the situation seems to be most likely GB wants to move on and he wants to continue to play. Very few teams are in on him and he said, I'd like to play there the most and they're trying to make it happen. But he's just a terrible person for it...

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not even believe Rodgers picked the Jets. IMO the Jets picked Rodgers and he agreed to it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not even believe Rodgers picked the Jets. IMO the Jets picked Rodgers and he agreed to it.
that's kind of my perception too. They said the Jets want you, do you want to play there, and he said, yes, I will play there.

Just giving kind of a "worst case scenario" where it might be a case of where Rodgers "picked" where he's going to play. Being they basically had 4 or less, likely 2 choices and said, trade with the Jets.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that Purdy came right out and said he won't be playing in 2023, but the fact that he isn't sure if he will be able to, might spark some more 49'er interest in Rodgers. There cap space and 2023 draft assets aren't that favorable for such a thing to happen, but I am sure they could figure out a way to work around the cap and use future picks to pay for Rodgers.

If the Jets trade isn't going down until after the draft, then bring the Niners back into play, or ANY team that wants in, since 2023 draft capital would then no longer be relevant. Now you'd be dealing w/ 2024 picks and/or players.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i just hope we can get a deal done. Hopefully the Jets don’t wake up and have a WTF are we doing moment? Or watch the collective 4th quarters of his last 3 season ending losses. 10 of 23 for 89 yards one interception zero touchdowns 54 QBR

Reaction score
Rodgers (91.0) has a better passer rating in playoff losses than Brady (89.8) has in all of his playoff games.

Yet some of you truly believe he's the only way to blame for the team coming up short in the postseason since 2010
Funny when I see that because How many Championship level games has Brady Competed at the Conference level or Super Bowl level?? Honestly Too many to count it goes past all toes and fingers

How many Conference or SB level opponents has Rodgers competed against?? 6

I’d also argue -+ 1% in Passer rating is splitting hairs close. As with anything there’s probably a margin of error around +-3% across a 100 units measurement (use polling as an example)
So therefore it’s not a tough conclusion to say that Brady played the same level as Rodgers… but against higher level competition

Tom Brady is just plain impressive. We even tried to discount him and say it’s Bill B and then Tom just casually goes to another team and Wins another SB. For those that need proof it’s just undeniable how good he was.
I know I know the Defenses and it’s a really good argument also.
Yet we need not look any further than above this paragraph than to say.. we can’t deny that Tom Brady did more with a tougher opponent at a higher level from a Passer perspective. He’s was just built for higher level winning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.