What did we learn in Week 2?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
A lot of times we as fans just don’t know who screwed up on a particular play. But two things tell me it was definitely Jones who screwed up that route:
1. In all my years of playing and watching football I have never seen such a route. It was a muddled mess.
2. Aaron Rodgers is not Jay Cutler: He doesn’t deflect blame onto teammates to avoid it himself. If he were responsible IMO he would have indicated that as publically as he displayed his anger at Jones.

From jsonline:
It was a simple out route in which Jones has to bend his route in front of the cornerback and to the sideline. Rodgers anticipated him being in a spot and threw the ball there. However, at the last second, Jones decided not to follow through with the route and went behind CB Tim Jennings, who had an easy interception. Rodgers was furious with Jones and chewed him out before he even got to the bench.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/169734966.html

Having said that I didn’t like the play call either. I don’t mind a pass being called but I prefer safer ones in that instance. For example, I don’t think we saw the play in which they fake a run left, have Rodgers bootleg to the right and have the TE run a crossing-like route in front of him – 5 or so yards beyond the LOS, with a WR running a true crossing route a little deeper. If neither are open Rodgers can make a few yards (or not) and slide.

Another point: Benson could fumble on a dive play up the middle and had the Bears mounted a real comeback, fans today would be screaming about McCarthy being too conservative. Just say’n.

Oh ya the title of the thread: I learned the pressure they got against the 9ers O was not an aberration. Aaron Rodgers still hasn't hit his stride (but still is damn good) and unfortunately Newhouse still looks like he needs help against speed rushers.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, post one thing you learned about the team this week. Try to keep it to one or 2 sentences.

Our special teams may be the best we've had in a decade. Coverage was very good against a team with very good special teams.

One thing people should have learned from these first two games is to not overreact in either direction. Shouldn't get too low because we have had a couple bad games on offense. 49ers defense is probably the best in the NFL this season, and the Bears always give our offense trouble. Also need to hold down our expectations for the defense after their amazing performance last night. I want to see them carry that over to their game next week in Seattle.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Finely, fans like to boo...
Because, the guy can't catch a cold... He was doing ok, cause the guy has a good skill set...
acted cocky like he was important, been mister disappointment ever sinse.
He's a recieving tightend, who is a drive killer, plus he is known, not to hang on to the ball...
on stretching for extra yards and crap, when he already has the first down.
That was a nice play to punch the ball out, but Finely only had one arm on that ball.

As for Rodgers, I don't know how his confidence isn't shot, with all the big play drops i have
seen in just the first two games.
He dropped one pass, and had a ball forced out, and I like my TE to fight for every yard because every yard counts.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Finely, fans like to boo...
Because, the guy can't catch a cold... He was doing ok, cause the guy has a good skill set...
acted cocky like he was important, been mister disappointment ever sinse.
He's a recieving tightend, who is a drive killer, plus he is known, not to hang on to the ball...
on stretching for extra yards and crap, when he already has the first down.
That was a nice play to punch the ball out, but Finely only had one arm on that ball.

As for Rodgers, I don't know how his confidence isn't shot, with all the big play drops i have
seen in just the first two games.
He dropped one pass, and had a ball forced out, and I like my TE to fight for every yard because every yard counts. You'll remember that before his injury he was a machine.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What did we learn?
Really, not much. Bear-Packer games historically never follow script. The unexpected always occurs. Players don't always play to the expectations but others play way beyond their expectation. The hero and goat of the game is never what you expect. Such is the story of 85 years of Bears-Packers games. After Chester Marcol scores a TD with his own blocked FG to win the game way back in the day the Bears returned the favor at the end of the season with a 61-7 massacre of us.
Objectively:
The Bears are not the 49ers nor are they nearly as physical as the 49ers.
We can probably run the ball against many defenses who are not from San Francisco.
Our defense plays better against a gun slinger than a methodic maticulator like Alex Smith or a Tom Brady.
Bush should remain on special teams.
Let some of the kids play. Get House into the house.
Driver is still the man if we call on him.
You don't have to win in glorious fashion. Ugly wins are just as good.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he thought Rodgers wasn't going to throw it because his route was completely disrupted.

You still have to complete the route. Jones, who's not a starter, should run ever play hard.

I think the whole play was inexcusable. The play call was not appropriate for the situation. Jones ran a horrible route. Rodgers should have thrown the ball away.

H

HardRightEdge

I learned that A.J. Hawk can play some football when he puts his mind to hit.

I learned that the lick Shields put on Gore to stop him short of a first down earned him 60 snaps in game 2. We did not hear his name called...Cutler wouldn't throw against him.

Hawk, Shields, Raji...it looked like 2010 for those guys.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't Lovie Smith say, when he got hired, that his #1 focus was on beating the Packers?
How's that working out for you Lovie!

H

HardRightEdge

A lot of times we as fans just don’t know who screwed up on a particular play. But two things tell me it was definitely Jones who screwed up that route:
1. In all my years of playing and watching football I have never seen such a route. It was a muddled mess.
2. Aaron Rodgers is not Jay Cutler: He doesn’t deflect blame onto teammates to avoid it himself. If he were responsible IMO he would have indicated that as publically as he displayed his anger at Jones.

From jsonline:
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/169734966.html

Having said that I didn’t like the play call either. I don’t mind a pass being called but I prefer safer ones in that instance. For example, I don’t think we saw the play in which they fake a run left, have Rodgers bootleg to the right and have the TE run a crossing-like route in front of him – 5 or so yards beyond the LOS, with a WR running a true crossing route a little deeper. If neither are open Rodgers can make a few yards (or not) and slide.

Another point: Benson could fumble on a dive play up the middle and had the Bears mounted a real comeback, fans today would be screaming about McCarthy being too conservative. Just say’n.

Oh ya the title of the thread: I learned the pressure they got against the 9ers O was not an aberration. Aaron Rodgers still hasn't hit his stride (but still is damn good) and unfortunately Newhouse still looks like he needs help against speed rushers.

MM said a post corner route was called. JJ stuttered; Rodgers though he was going to break it off. I give the -1 to JJ because it was an ugly non-committal move down field. Indecision kills.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
In week 2, we learned that there are 14 more weeks in front of the Packers. Whereas the 9'ers kicked the Pack's *** in no uncertain terms and the Packers kicked the Bears a** in no uncertain terms ... there is no telling who will kick whose *** in week 7, 14 or 17 ... much less come mid-January. So... I'm just going to settle in and enjoy a season that will end all too soon. :) Go Pack.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OPI = 15 yards
Turnover on Thursday = 7 points for Chicago

It was a ball that shouldn't have been thrown. Rodgers should have seen that the route was disrupted. He threw it anyway. No matter how you look at it, Rodgers shares some of the blame.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a ball that shouldn't have been thrown. Rodgers should have seen that the route was disrupted. He threw it anyway. No matter how you look at it, Rodgers shares some of the blame.

For sure. I think Jones, Rodgers and McCarthy all deserve blame for that. First, blame McCarthy for calling a pass in an obvious running situation (up 20 points with 7 minutes remaining). Second, blame Jones for his mental error (running the wrong route) and quitting on the route. Last, blame Rodgers for trying to throw a ball through a cornerback.

As I said before, the whole play is inexcusable.

Members online

Latest posts