Week 3: Packers away at Redskins

Status
Not open for further replies.

James from IL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with Williams covering an opposing receiver one-on-one on the perimeter. He's not an upgrade at free safety as suggested in other threads though.

At least it won't be Diggs and Thielen every week.. ha!

JimWB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need a win like the one they got yesterday, but without the refs deciding to take pity on the pathetic Vikings.

Soon, Minnesota.

Soon.
The refs took pity on Minnesota, knowing they had pathetic field goal kicker. It's doubtful the Pack can count on 3 missed field goals and a blocked punt in Mpls.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Actually I don't think it's a trap game whatsoever. Frankly, we aren't that much better than the Skins. Them winning wouldn't even be a mini upset.

Solid point. Backed up by the fact that the Packers have only 16 more wins than the Skins over the last 5 years. Stellar analysis.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The refs took pity on Minnesota, knowing they had pathetic field goal kicker. It's doubtful the Pack can count on 3 missed field goals and a blocked punt in Mpls.

The theory is that with a healthy, escapable Rodgers, they won’t need to.

Post-tie tantrum aside, you guys have a darn good team. Cousins is legit. His receiver duo is stellar. Zimmer is a great coach. The defense speaks for itself. It’s going to be a dog fight. If the Packers get you, it’s probably going to be over OL issues.

Reaction score
sWhile GB is still in the process of figuring out their identity on Defense (and they will) The Redskins have the same issue on Offense. Like any scientist understands.. you need 3 test results to form an accurate result and we don't have 3 live examples yet (that's my out);)
I like GB's propensity to improve overall on all sides of the ball better than Washington. I said last year I thought our best chances of peaking will be in 2019, the closer GB gets to 2019 the better we will get IMO. We have a slew of young talent that will only improve with live game experience, not to mention a nice group of veterans eager to prove themselves still. While we have a lot of "unproven" talent... I believe we have a significant amount of potential that has not been unleashed and it is paramount to get them live game experience early in the season. That said, it takes time to get cohesive with all these new additions and it's not going to all happen week 3. The good news is that GB is not porpoising which can be a serious concern for a young team (e.g, winning 27-3 then losing 13-38 etc..). both on Offense and Defense games have been relatively consistent, especially considering we just played a couple of the leagues better Defensive opponents.

Redskins stay within 1 score due to playing at home and the Redskins Defense initially gives GB a scare.. until Aaron Rodgers is Aaron Rodgers and begins to wear them down. Also GB's Special teams win the day as field position becomes paramount. Having a solid and competitive veteran K (eager to redeem himself) and what I believe will be a top 10 P is huge.
GB 26 Redskins 21

Last edited:

Riley82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am worried about the pass rush that will fix the defence no end.
I think Burks will help against the pass he will be good in coverage which could move Jackson to the perimiter.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
sWhile GB is still in the process of figuring out their identity on Defense (and they will) The Redskins have the same issue on Offense. Like any scientist understands.. you need 3 test results to form an accurate result and we don't have 3 live examples yet (that's my out);)
I like GB's propensity to improve overall on all sides of the ball better than Washington. I said last year I thought our best chances of peaking will be in 2019, the closer GB gets to 2019 the better we will get IMO. We have a slew of young talent that will only improve with live game experience, not to mention a nice group of veterans eager to prove themselves still. While we have a lot of "unproven" talent... I believe we have a significant amount of potential that has not been unleashed and it is paramount to get them live game experience early in the season. That said, it takes time to get cohesive with all these new additions and it's not going to all happen week 3. The good news is that GB is not porpoising which can be a serious concern for a young team (e.g, winning 27-3 then losing 13-38 etc..). both on Offense and Defense games have been relatively consistent, especially considering we just played a couple of the leagues better Defensive opponents.

Redskins stay within 1 score due to playing at home and the Redskins Defense initially gives GB a scare.. until Aaron Rodgers is Aaron Rodgers and begins to wear them down. Also GB's Special teams win the day as field position becomes paramount. Having a solid and competitive veteran K (eager to redeem himself) and what I believe will be a top 10 P is huge.
GB 26 Redskins 21

I read your first part and immediately all I could envision was this...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope people aren't expecting Burks to be the "savior" of this defense? I know some are really high on him and I am cautiously optimistic that he will turn into a good ILB, but this isn't Mack coming back from an injury, its a Rookie 3rd round pick, who has yet to play in a real NFL game. Feeling the same way with Josh Jones. I hope he turns into a decent S, but he didn't do a lot to make me think his return is going to fix what we saw against the Queens.

I’m not expecting much of anything from him right now, I was just puzzled by not hearing about his mysterious injury. But turns out he was cleared and is practicing so that’s that.

D

Deleted member 6794

That was my point. I don't expect him to be better than Morrison right away, down the road? I hope so. I fully expect him to make rookie mistakes. All I was saying are for those people thinking we are getting a "starter" back at ILB and that will make us instantly better, right now that "improvement" is unproven and could even be worse. We will see. Getting him back to get him reps and improve the depth of a thin in talent position, now I love that.

I don't expect Burks to perform at an elite level by any means but consider him to be an immediate upgrade in coverage at inside linebacker. That should help the defense to improve.

Well so far, I believe it's only been Matthews that's drawn those flags. So maybe the key is for him to get stuffed and out iDL to do the damage?

Perry and Wilkerson were flagged for roughing the passer vs. the Bears as well.

Wut? I mean what? I don't have any words.

Did I drink that much? I'm heading home now.

Actually the Packers are only a three point favorite at most Vegas sports bookies.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually the Packers are only a three point favorite at most Vegas sports bookies.

Probably because they have a good pass defence and our attack is pass oriented too. With Jones back, we should win this by having a more balanced attack.

D

Deleted member 6794

Probably because they have a good pass defence and our attack is pass oriented too. With Jones back, we should win this by having a more balanced attack.

I expect the Packers to win as well but Washington isn't a pushover by any means.

H

HardRightEdge

My personal opinion is to get more snaps to Gilbert also. I’d like to see him in the 300-500 snap range this year. It’s time to get him more involved.
Gilbert had defensive snap counts of 53% and 47% in the first two games, respectively. The Packers had 1,056 defensive snaps last season, 66 per game. At the current 50% rate Gilbert's already on pace for 500+ snaps based on last year's total defensive snaps. Total defensive snaps in the first two games this season were 70 and 73, respectively. If that higher total snap count continues, he'd be pushing 600 on the current pace.

H

HardRightEdge

Actually I don't think it's a trap game whatsoever. Frankly, we aren't that much better than the Skins. Them winning wouldn't even be a mini upset.
Right. I don't know how you can have a trap game in week 3 unless you're playing the Bills. The betting line is Packers -3 which looks about right. Washington's defense is currently ranked #1 at 247 yds. per game surrendered and a 67.0 passer rating against playing Bradford and Luck. That ain't chopped liver even if this is the early going.

H

HardRightEdge

Post-tie tantrum aside, you guys have a darn good team. Cousins is legit. His receiver duo is stellar. Zimmer is a great coach. The defense speaks for itself. It’s going to be a dog fight. If the Packers get you, it’s probably going to be over OL issues.
This, after starting a thread entitled "The Vikings are Fake" with a lead in calling them "pathetic losers." Tantrum indeed, and entirely misdirected.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't expect Burks to perform at an elite level by any means but consider him to be an immediate upgrade in coverage at inside linebacker. That should help the defense to improve.

Perry and Wilkerson were flagged for roughing the passer vs. the Bears as well.

Typically if Vegas thinks a game is a toss up, the home team will be a 3 point favorite. If the game is a push, Vegas likes the road team. If the home team is a dog, Vegas really prefers the road team. I believe there are only four road favorites this week, and only two of them (CHI @ AZ; NE @ DET) are bigger road favorites than the Packers.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This, after starting a thread entitled "The Vikings are Fake" with a lead in calling them "pathetic losers." Tantrum indeed, and entirely misplaced.

Your ability to recognize a bit is right up there with your ability to quote a post.

H

HardRightEdge

Your ability to recognize a bit is right up there with your ability to quote a post.
A "bit"? You mean like a comic routine? You were right the first time: "tantrum".

Or perhaps you should disclaim each post with "Warning: This is cheerleading" or "Warning: This is analysis."

H

HardRightEdge

Typically if Vegas thinks a game is a toss up, the home team will be a 3 point favorite. If the game is a push, Vegas likes the road team. If the home team is a dog, Vegas really prefers the road team. I believe there are only four road favorites this week, and only two of them (CHI @ AZ; NE @ DET) are bigger road favorites than the Packers.
So?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If AR's knee is fully healed when the two teams meet again Thanksgiving week, that game promises to be a doozy.

H

HardRightEdge

I fail to see the liability in a Williams-Alexander-Jackson nickel combination. You'd expect the rookies to have some difficulties in zone coverages but I'm not seeing that with these guys. King, in fact, is the guy who continues to struggle with it, allowing too much space in off coverage with underneath help on at least one play early against Minnesota.

Alexander in the slot against Crowder, Jackson wide, House dime, Burks on Reed which is what he was drafted to do. Richardson's not very big, so they could flip Alexander on him and let Jackson handle the slot. Pettine's been moving these guys around for matchups; there's no reason to think that won't continue.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
A "bit"? You mean like a comic routine? You were right the first time: "tantrum".

Or perhaps you should disclaim each post with "Warning: This is cheerleading" or "Warning: This is analysis."

I keep forgetting to submit my posts to you for pre-approval. My bad!

While on the subject, maybe you should make a header for all your posts: "Warning: This is Arrogant Drivel."

*So* I was replying to someone else on that subject. Is that OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.