TT forces Brett to retire.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PPierce is right...Brett Favre is the Packer's best option, and will remain so for maybe 2 to 3 years IF he decides to keep playing. But he's not going to be here forever. To treat him like he is the franchise's future is a mistake.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
PPierce said:
But Favre is, in football terms, a senior citizen.

Favre, in football terms, is better than half of the active Qbs in the league.
Correction, he is better than 2/3 of the active QB's in the NFL.
We should all (if you are a Packer fan) hope for at least 1 more year. We may not see another like him in our lifetimes.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree.......Favre is NOT the long term future, but SHORT term, he still is! Rodgers is NOT ready to be a starting QB yet. He would, in my opinion, learn and grow watching Favre one more year. AND, if the injured players come back, and they get a decent draft, they could be in the running this coming year. Why tear the team down BEFORE it's absolutely necessary? We may end up with 20 years like the 1970's and 80's to deal with. Are any of you in such a hurry to start that? I lived through it......too many of todays Packer fans are SPOILED! They think you can just throw anyone in there, and the Packers will win. Ask the Lions if that works.
TT has had ONE draft, and all the mess that the previous GM left. Thats like having a barn filled with horse crap, and blaming the guy that just walked in the door for not having it spotlessly cleaned up yet. Give him some time..........then, if he messes up, THEN complain. If YOU started a job, and people were screaming at YOU for the mess that was left by your predacessor, how would you feel?
But this calling people rude names on here to me was uncalled for. None of us are football gurus.........if we were, WE would be coaching in the NFL. We all just give our opinions........for what they are worth.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good post cheesy...I've been wavering back and forth on the Brett issue...no doubt that he's better than AR, but is his 15 mil v. the cap next year better spent on future players?!?

If the Pack are able to build a winner in the next 2 yrs w/ Brett, then no...if that's not possible, then the $ is better spent on the future.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre still showed the heart, the arm strength, the desire to win. He just did NOT have the team mates around him that he was familiar with. The injuries did them in this year, no doubt. IF they get everyone back healthy, why NOT throw everything at next year? How many teams have gone year after year, and not even got close? I really think this year will be it..........then they will have to rebuild. But like i said, there's PLENTY of time to do that. I say, give it one more shot with Favre, IF he's willing to come back. Then, settle in for many 4-12, to 7-9 seasons while they try to get players with even HALF the talent Favre has.
I guess we will find out soon if he's coming back. If he isn't, then the team will have to get O linemen that can protect Rodgers 100% of the time, as he has shown NO ability to avoid a pass rush......so far, that is.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arizona, Detroit, Cleveland, New Orleans, Green Bay. Some teams have GM's that make them special.

Nall and Favre thrown away. Soon to be joined by many others now that there is cap room. Lots of players can be cut now that the Packers can absorb the cap hits. Enjoy the struggles of Rodgers that so many want.

The top QB contracts in the NFL are paying almost 15 million a season for the next 3 years. Brett is earning 10 next year with a cap number of 12 million. Less in 2007.

Brett Favre was second in NFL MVP voting in 2002. Has he gone that far downhill in 3 years?

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting comments by Chris Havel in his chat today. I don't take Havel as gospel, but he seems to know Favre as well as anyone considering he wrote 2 books for Farve:

"I will repeat this once again for those chatters that may have missed it. Mike Sherman and Brett Favre are in no way tied at the hip. Sherman's firing - and trust me on this - actually increases Favre's chances of returning. He was clearly frustrated with the goings on at 1265. It was evident in his manner, his attitude and at times his performance. Favre has never told me this, so I'm speculating here, but it appeared that he and Sherman and Tom Rossley had an OK working relationship, but that it wasn't ever anything special. I never felt that the three of them were on the same page."

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
PPierce said:
But Favre is, in football terms, a senior citizen.

Favre, in football terms, is better than half of the active Qbs in the league.
Which means he's not great any longer. Actually, none of the really good teams would take him over their current QBs. If Favre actually decided to play for another team, he'd probably end up on a very mediocre one as all the best teams have excellent QB's who are much younger. Which team would dump it's first string QB for Favre? Indy? The Pats? Who?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
PPierce..

You're a Favre hater..Why don't you just come out and admit...?

Also..you don't know what the hell you are talking about either....no matter...

Most right thinking fans can see right through you...

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Havel and one other guy on 107.5 up here in Green Bay were doing a player by player comparison of Brett, picking who they'd take over Brett. Havel is a pretty big supporter of Brett, yet he had ~ 9 current qbs over Brett.

So, PPierce isn't the only person who feels BF isn't the best qb in the league, and I'm willing to bet he and Havel aren't the only ones who feel that way. And just because you don't bow down and pray in the direction of Brett's house 5 times per day does not mean you are a favre hater.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OK MUSSCY...

Please list the QB's you would have starting over Favre in the NFL..

(i need a laugh..)

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether ( at this point ) Brett is the best QB in the NFL is not the question though.

Our Choice is Aaron or Brett ( if we should be so lucky anymore ). Who would most of us choose ?

No Brainer unless your TT it seems.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
OK MUSSCY...

Please list the QB's you would have starting over Favre in the NFL..

(i need a laugh..)

Brady
P Manning
Palmer (has a lot of good years ahead of him although not quite at Brett's level)
Roethelisberger (not as talented as Brett, but good game mngr)
McNabb (not as good a passer, but better runner, and very gutsy)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Peyton and brady I agree with. Ben, Palmer and Donovan I completely disagree. Put brett behind Peyton or Tom's center and I bet you get similar results even at age 36. A qb can only bring a team as far as the team lets him.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The title of this thread is evidence of how twisted things have become in Packerland. Many fans care more about Brett Favre than they care about the Green Bay Packers. For four years now Favre has been talking about retirement. Last offseason Favre waited to see what the Packers would do before making his decision, and he has said he would do the same thing this year. That is his right, but it's not exactly helpful to the team. Brett Favre is perfectly free to come back next season, and as Havel suggests, he may even like the idea of playing for a new coach.

The reason for DePack's passion about Sherman, for those who don't know, is that he once saw Sherman being very kind and considerate to some fans, including a disabled kid. DePack told this story on the News Chronicle forum once, and it's a very good story. I, too, have always thought that Mike Sherman is an honorable man. I like him a lot. But I do think it was time for a change of direction with this team, and that in the long run this may prove to be a good thing for Mike Sherman as well as the Packers. Sherman will coach somewhere else, and maybe he will learn that he needs to be more flexible in choosing his staff and making decisions. He's still a good guy. Thompson did not take that away from him.

kuston

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack, Steve Young said the same thing yesterday. It's in today's Journal Sport's section page 2.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett IS the future of this team.

Maybe not the future 5 years from now, but the best chance to win NOW is with Brett in the near future.

It really does seem like the forum is filling up with more and more people looking to end the Favre era and I really don't get it.

Why would Brett want to come back and learn a new playbook?

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 get over it Favre can't play 50 more years...all great things come to end.

Geez you are a sheeop. The packers need a plan. To me Favre either comes back for 2-3 years or he should retire. The pack cna't have one year plans. Lets be realistic, its going to be insanely hard for the pack to win the SB next year, especially if they are rebuilding. But, they need a plan. IF Favre comes back in the middle of rebuilding then leaves after next year...that would be another set back. So if the Pack are going to start over lets do it all in one season and not make it a long process. Though if Favre stays 2 or 3 years. Next year could put the Pack in position to make a run in 07 and if Favre is there for that...it is a possibilty the Pack are back.

But to me its has to be a 2-3 year plan for Favre or a retirement plan.

4favre2walker84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
I agree.......Favre is NOT the long term future, but SHORT term, he still is! Rodgers is NOT ready to be a starting QB yet. He would, in my opinion, learn and grow watching Favre one more year. AND, if the injured players come back, and they get a decent draft, they could be in the running this coming year. Why tear the team down BEFORE it's absolutely necessary? We may end up with 20 years like the 1970's and 80's to deal with. Are any of you in such a hurry to start that? I lived through it......too many of todays Packer fans are SPOILED! They think you can just throw anyone in there, and the Packers will win. Ask the Lions if that works.
TT has had ONE draft, and all the mess that the previous GM left. Thats like having a barn filled with horse crap, and blaming the guy that just walked in the door for not having it spotlessly cleaned up yet. Give him some time..........then, if he messes up, THEN complain. If YOU started a job, and people were screaming at YOU for the mess that was left by your predacessor, how would you feel?
But this calling people rude names on here to me was uncalled for. None of us are football gurus.........if we were, WE would be coaching in the NFL. We all just give our opinions........for what they are worth.

Please read the rest of my posts to see how much I support Favre and want him back. But I do have one thing to pick on about your post.

Favre has nothing that Rodgers can gain. Rodgers is not going to become a better QB from Brett. Brett has the fundamentals of a 400 pound man trying to cheerlead. He is not a good example. Favre does what he does, he is great at it. But, dont be fooled, you cant duplicate it, nor would you want to train an upcoming QB from Favre films. Heart, competitiveness, character, trueness are not things that can be tought, and that is exactly what makes it so hard for us to let go of Favre.

Again, dont think I want him gone, but he is not doing Rodgers any training favors, nor do i think that Favre even cares for Rodgers. He views him as a replacement, not a friend. Favre is far to competetive to think of Rodgers as a friend. He could be friends with Peterson and others, because he knew the only way that they would take over is if here were to get hurt, which he just simply would ignore a broken thumb, or whatever came his way to prevent that from happening.

Mike

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
PPierce..

You're a Favre hater..Why don't you just come out and admit...?

Also..you don't know what the hell you are talking about either....no matter...

Most right thinking fans can see right through you...

another P@ck 66

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not many people on this board confuse Mike Sherman "the good man" with Mike Sherman, "the terribly mediocre coach". Short of one or two posters, all agree that Sherman is a man of distinguished character. About half of those people also view him as not too good a coach.

Let's not confuse or convolute the two. Nobody likes to see a person let lose, especially when you consider how it impacts their families. But the reality is that MS has not gotten it done for 4 years now.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Favre made the statement that his decision to come back would depend on MS being around, he alluded that it was the system which would be the deciding point, not the man himself. He said that he did not know if he had the drive to learn a new system. If TT brings in a guy without a West coast type of offense than he may be pushing Brett out. If he brings in a West coast offense type of guy, he's inviting Brett to come back. Let's face it, alot of other teammates are used to a west coast offense. Will TT get rid of everyone by bringing in a new HC which will totally dismantle the entire team? I don't see that happening.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
My only hope now is that TT talked to Brett about signing Mooch OR Favre comes back to spite Thompson and shoves it up his ***.

I'll second that motion and Pray Brett hears it. 8)

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone that thinks that TT is trying to force Favre to retire is clutching at straws in order to justify the fact that they're mad at TT for firing Sherman. There is absolutely no evidence anywhere that proves it's a fact.

Favre will come back next year or he won't. As the GM said it's his decision either way. As he'll get paid around $11 million to return, I'm sure he could care less if the GM begs him in the media to do so or not.

Members online

Latest posts