Tracking the 2023 Green Bay Roster

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What I like about Wilson is when he sees he can get to the outside; the jets come on. He really gets going in a hurry when there is some open space. I don't know what is going to happen with our 3 RBs on the bubble but I like each of them. Still, no replacing Jones imho.
It wouldn't shock me to see the Packers roll the dice on all of the potential #3 RB's, by not putting any of them on the 53 and signing 1-2 of them that clear waivers to the PS. That would allow them to maybe keep a 7th WR or 10th OL.

Personally, I'd like to see Wilson make it to the PS, otherwise I would go with Taylor or Goodson. Wilson is maybe a gamble, in that he is not as familiar with the offense as the other 2, but I think he has a bigger upside.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I still wish that the NFL would expand the rosters to 60, it isn't like teams can't afford it. 17 games is a long season and only being able to keep 53 out of the 90 you had on the roster for 4+ months, is ridiculous. If they don't want to do that, at least allow teams to declare a 53 man roster and 5-7 players that go on the PS, without having to clear waivers. Finally, raise the limit of only being able to protect 4 players on the PS from being poached to the same 5-7 that are automatically put on the PS during the cutdown process.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They’re trying to expand the league, not rosters. Water it down too much and it becomes 2nd rate like other leagues that can’t hold a candle to the nfl in terms of product on the field

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They’re trying to expand the league, not rosters. Water it down too much and it becomes 2nd rate like other leagues that can’t hold a candle to the nfl in terms of product on the field
I guess that makes sense. I just hope they don't put too many teams in the playoffs. That is where it gets watered down for me. The whole regular season. Like BBall.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that makes sense. I just hope they don't put too many teams in the playoffs. That is where it gets watered down for me. The whole regular season. Like BBall.
Me too, but they will. It’s more money for them. Elimination games always make money. I think they have a balance of meaningful regular season, winning divisions etc and are getting close to damaging that balance for the long term good for short term viewership.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I still wish that the NFL would expand the rosters to 60, it isn't like teams can't afford it. 17 games is a long season and only being able to keep 53 out of the 90 you had on the roster for 4+ months, is ridiculous. If they don't want to do that, at least allow teams to declare a 53 man roster and 5-7 players that go on the PS, without having to clear waivers. Finally, raise the limit of only being able to protect 4 players on the PS from being poached to the same 5-7 that are automatically put on the PS during the cutdown process.
I like your thought process, but the key statement that you made is "it isn't like teams can't afford it". They can, they just don't want to. That's 7 extra guys that they would have to pay at least league minimum and there's roughly a $600k difference between the two. Quick math says that's over $4 million. Seems miniscule, but rich people like their money.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I also saw Jake Hanson got cut. I thought that was a good pick at the time. He was the anchor of the Oregon Duck's line. Guess that didn't equate to the NFL. Injuries did him in.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I like your thought process, but the key statement that you made is "it isn't like teams can't afford it". They can, they just don't want to. That's 7 extra guys that they would have to pay at least league minimum and there's roughly a $600k difference between the two. Quick math says that's over $4 million. Seems miniscule, but rich people like their money.

Or, more money to 7 guys and less money to the other 53. I wouldn't see the need to adjust the cap, but I am sure the NFLPA wouldn't like that. The other thing about that, during the season, injuries usually necessitate signing guys off the street or off the PS, so those numbers aren't really as cut and dry and they might seem. I just think the product is improved when you are able to start playing guys that are already familiar with your system, playbook, coaches, etc.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I also saw Jake Hanson got cut. I thought that was a good pick at the time. He was the anchor of the Oregon Duck's line. Guess that didn't equate to the NFL. Injuries did him in.
Early release to try out another player. LB Marvin Pierre and CB Elijah Hamilton were signed today.

Hanson wasn't going to make the 53, he will get an injury settlement and who knows, could end up back in GB eventually.

Reaction score
Early release to try out another player. LB Marvin Pierre and CB Elijah Hamilton were signed today.

Hanson wasn't going to make the 53, he will get an injury settlement and who knows, could end up back in GB eventually.
I’m Guessing Hanson was going to miss some regular season time. That kinda makes it an easy decision because no one else will want to sign him and there’s little to zero risk if we need to stay in touch and bring him back if there’s an injury on our OL.

The injury, while being bad for the player, makes the teams decision easy to schedule that 53 roster when in a close race at any given position.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for continuing to update.

One note, I don't think ILB DQ Thomas is with the team anymore? He broke his femur during practice on 1/6/23 and was never resigned.

I know for a fact that's probably not even the only mistake, I hit a busy spell over this year and failed it. I'll get him off. Spot check others.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know for a fact that's probably not even the only mistake, I hit a busy spell over this year and failed it. I'll get him off. Spot check others.
Offseason and especially this time of year, it is pretty hard to stay up to date, so kudos to you for being pretty spot on. I can't tell you how many times I will start typing about a player and then look him up for added information and realize that he isn't even on the roster or I have confused me players. :D

Not that I rely on Wikipedia for a lot of information, but sometimes that site amazes me with how fast someone has updated the information.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your data is more than appreciated. I don't think people understand that players are graded by all plays, not just those where they are the center of the action. Often, like with offensive linemen, their actions "off the ball" has an impact as to what happens two gaps away, but unless you recognize it, you'd never understand the value of the play, or mistake made.

Reaction score
What I like about Wilson is when he sees he can get to the outside; the jets come on. He really gets going in a hurry when there is some open space. I don't know what is going to happen with our 3 RBs on the bubble but I like each of them. Still, no replacing Jones imho.
Yeah. I think Taylor has more ST upside and I know we value that. However if it were strictly on the Offensive side Wilson sure looks dynamic. Love his size at 5’10.5 X 229lb with good field vision. I can see why he put up 19 TD’s last year in Division II ball. Man among boys type thing. He’s done a fantastic coming from a small school to this point, he deserves a shot and some quality training.
I envision Emmanuel as a priority on PS as we have a few other positions I’d like to keep +1 such as Edge, DB or WR

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you talking about Yosh? He only said he gave it (being cut) a 5% chance.
I wouldn't be shocked at any of the people mentioned. A few surprises maybe but I'd understand all of them especially as he laid it out.
Is there a link I’m missing?
I posted a link to today's pack-a-day youtube podcast.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked at any of the people mentioned. A few surprises maybe but I'd understand all of them especially as he laid it out.
Yup. As fans we only read what is written, hear what is spoken (publicly) and see what we watch on TV. So much more goes into some of these decisions that we are unaware of. We can make educated guesses, but there are always going to be reasons for what the Packers do/don't do, that we aren't aware of.

I enjoy Andy Herman's thought process, have watched him before, thanks for posting this one.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be surprised but not shocked if cut. He has a different view.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
For me the vets who need to be updating their resume so to speak are as follows:

Deguara
Toure
Nijman
Preston Smith
O'Donnell

All are being outplayed by younger and in Toure's case bigger and younger guys. Do I think they ALL get cut? No...I would bet money that it's at least 1 of them though.

Members online