The Jordan Love Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
But as a side note, it seems they weren't successful anyway.
You don’t know that for sure. In addition you have zero QB backup strategy.
I haven't ever heard Adams talk about retirement. Rodgers??? See above.
In reference to Adams left because he thought Rodgers might retire. He says that in a recent interview, but you may have not known that.
How many of those dozens have been successful since 2011???
Nick Foles won a SB just 5 Years ago. You can’t get more successful example than leading your team to a SB and beating Tom Brady. Dozens of backup level QB’s have played in playoff games etc.. often not on their original drafted team or after their Rookie contract was up.

Point being. Not all QB’s get drafted, stay with 1 team, start year 1 and go on to have lucrative careers. Your standard of using Aaron Rodgers in year 16 as a comparison for a Sophomore QB’s as some “litmus test” is just ridiculous. Rodgers himself didn’t even get off the bench for 4 years himself, that’s after 4 full offseason programs and 16 preseason contests. you expected Love to beat Rodgers after 1 full offseason and 3 preseason games.

You have no backup plan at QB. The most important position in the game. If you’re going to attack a position group? Id just assume you’d have an alternate plan? Nope

One way or another. Rodgers won’t be here forever. I’m glad we at least have someone in the pipeline until we figure out who that guy will be. Relying on K. Benkert probably isn’t the best idea to succeed a HOF QB

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordan Love...the first player in NFL history that fans argue doesn't actually NEED to play in order to be more important than the guys playing on the field. What's that you say, he could win a Super Bowl one day? And all it might cost is the chance at a Super Bowl (or two) now? Seem like a sweet deal! Why have now what you could perhaps maybe get in a few more years!

Reaction score
Jordan Love...the first player in NFL history that fans argue doesn't actually NEED to play in order to be more important than the guys playing on the field. What's that you say, he could win a Super Bowl one day? And all it might cost is the chance at a Super Bowl (or two) now? Seem like a sweet deal! Why have now what you could perhaps maybe get in a few more years!
Nope. Ain’t no way a WR overcomes that foul ST unit last season. We didn’t need a WR that wouldn’t get thrown to. We had WR running around wide open and we couldn’t pass to them.

I also doubt a late Day 1 Rookie WR pushes us past Tampa Bay.

So now that’s behind us. Who is our QB successor if Rodgers suddenly retires?? Are you implying we run with Benkert if Rodgers got hurt?

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. Ain’t no way a WR overcomes that foul ST unit last season. We didn’t need a WR that wouldn’t get thrown to. We had WR running around wide open and we couldn’t pass to them.

I also doubt a late Day 1 Rookie WR pushes us past Tampa Bay.

So now that’s behind us. Who is our QB successor if Rodgers suddenly retires?? Are you implying we run with Benkert if Rodgers got hurt?

I like how easily you automatically assume Tee Higgins wouldn't have been more helpful than Allen Lazard in the past two playoffs but you're absolutely prepared to believe that Jordan Love is going to be super helpful AND that the Packers would have had no chance to find a different QB in any upcoming draft.

Btw, I personally think Tee Higgins or Pittam Jr would have had more than 3 catches for 60 yards against the Bucs or, more importantly, more than one catch for 6 yards against the 49ers. Aaron Jones had 10 targets against the 49ers and Adams had 11, no other player had more than 2 but sure, having a good second receiver wouldn't have helped in a game the Packers lost by 3.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I like how easily you automatically assume Tee Higgins wouldn't have been more helpful than Allen Lazard in the past two playoffs but you're absolutely prepared to believe that Jordan Love is going to be super helpful AND that the Packers would have had no chance to find a different QB in any upcoming draft.

Btw, I personally think Tee Higgins or Pittam Jr would have had more than 3 catches for 60 yards against the Bucs or, more importantly, more than one catch for 6 yards against the 49ers. Aaron Jones had 10 targets against the 49ers and Adams had 11, no other player had more than 2 but sure, having a good second receiver wouldn't have helped in a game the Packers lost by 3.
Oh...so we get to play the "would have, should have, could have game" with draft picks to improve "what could have happened....if".
Such a silly game to play to try and make a point. If I could go back every 2 years and repick the entire Packers draft, I would never lose a Super Bowl!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If ifs and buts were candies and nuts it'd be Christmas all year long.

Despise the "this player instead" game...beyond hypotheticals that just expose discussions to vastly too many unknowns and trickle affect that changes things.

It's like if Davante suffers a catastrophic injury tomorrow...."Oh look what we escaped by trading him..." comments that would happen. NO, there is literally less than zero way of knowing if that injury was going to happen regardless of EVERY other decision and step he made had he signed with Green Bay.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Despise the "this player instead" game...beyond hypotheticals that just expose discussions to vastly too many unknowns and trickle affect that changes things.
Yup and the Game gets really fun with "After Rodgers got hit by that bus right after the 2020 draft...."

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh...so we get to play the "would have, should have, could have game" with draft picks to improve "what could have happened....if".
Such a silly game to play to try and make a point. If I could go back every 2 years and repick the entire Packers draft, I would never lose a Super Bowl!

Isn't that the only way to evaluate GM performance in general? Dave Gettleman should have drafted different players and so he was terrible. Gute has drafted pretty well, which we know because many of his players have done well in the NFL. Personally, I don't think hypotheticals on what could have happened are any worse than people claiming to know that some player will certainly be very good once he actually plays. We are literally on page 46 of a discussion on a player who has a grand total of 62 NFL passing attempts. Some people think that players who had over 1,000 yards receiving this year might have helped this team as a second receiver more than the backup QB; others prefer to have a backup QB and a player who they are 100% certain will win Super Bowls as the starting QB in the next decade. If I was certain Jordan Love would become a top-5 NFL QB then I might agree with the second group, but the history of the draft says the likelihood of that happening is pretty slim.

I also think it's fairly reasonable to say that if the Packers had a better receiving corps that didn't require Rodgers to focus on the only good receiver he had so much, that the team's offense would have been more effective against teams that could literally focus their entire passing defense against one player.

D

Deleted member 6794

You need to realize, that some folks believe OR betting odds are that, he will most likely not have a significant impact for the Packers at any point in his career though.

Fixed it for you. It's like when I even mentioned or hinted at the trading of Adams - and you swept in stating things in definitive manners. This cannot be stated in such a matter of fact way.

You obviously missed that I stated it's most likely Love won't have a significant impact with the Packers. No stating of things in a definitive matter.

That's different than saying you want a rookie QB so he can play on the first contract. That implies that we can just pick up a college QB whenever the need arises.

It's tough to draft an elite quarterback. But when you give it a shot in the first round it would be smart to try to take advantage of the QB being on a cheap rookie deal for as long as possible.
The other thing that influences that curve are the opportunities that Love gets to prove himself in the NFL, which have been very few.

Which was pretty obvious from the beginning.

I suppose they could have paid a vet QB $5-15M to serve that role, but then that might cost you the ability to use that money on another player.

Which quarterback signed as a backup is making $15 million a season???
You don’t know that for sure.

True, that's why I mentioned it seems to be that way.

In addition you have zero QB backup strategy.

That's pretty easy, the Packers could have kept Boyle as their backup.

In reference to Adams left because he thought Rodgers might retire. He says that in a recent interview, but you may have not known that.

I know that, but you were talking about Adams contemplating retirement.

Nick Foles won a SB just 5 Years ago. You can’t get more successful example than leading your team to a SB and beating Tom Brady.

Foles was already successful for the Eagles during his first stint with the team after they drafted him though.

Point being. Not all QB’s get drafted, stay with 1 team, start year 1 and go on to have lucrative careers. Your standard of using Aaron Rodgers in year 16 as a comparison for a Sophomore QB’s as some “litmus test” is just ridiculous. Rodgers himself didn’t even get off the bench for 4 years himself, that’s after 4 full offseason programs and 16 preseason contests. you expected Love to beat Rodgers after 1 full offseason and 3 preseason games.

Nobody has mentioned anything about Love needing to perform on a level on par with Rodgers.

It shouldn't be too much to ask for him to have shown some promise by now.

I'm quite sure Rodgers would have targeted Higgins or Pittman as both of them would have been able to get open.

If ifs and buts were candies and nuts it'd be Christmas all year long.

It's ridiculous that you advocate to not use "What ifs" to make a point considering that's the only way you try justify the selection of Love.

Last edited by a moderator:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s actually comforting knowing we’ve got someone in the pipeline. Like you said, if he doesn’t end up working out fine. It’s not like we can’t get what we can for him and keep searching.

After all this talk (from both Davante and Rodgers) about seriously contemplating retirement. Maybe the QB position was the right call after all?? There’s no guarantees with Rodgers, he’s a complicated fella
This is my "theory"
Rodgers hinted to front office about retiring or wanting to go elsewhere In 2 years. FO felt he was declining some, so this was perfect time

they didn't get the wr they really wanted so they went with whom they thought was a project for the next two years

then rodgers revisited his younger self video to help his game.

so now we are at where we are

10000 pages of the same arguments over and over

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
10000 pages of the same arguments over and ove
Yup....would have been so much less discussions or back and forths had the Packers just traded up for Ruggs, Reagor or Arnette or stayed pat and selected Gladney or Wilson. :coffee:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who knows the future but right now I think ARod wants to play his whole career in GB. So we need to limit the afteraffects when he quits the game. Not easy but not many choices imho. Hopefully he will hang them up when it is also the best case scenario for the GBP. If he falls off a cliff right after signing a big contract...bad scenario.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thoroughly expecting Rodgers to play and play at a high level for 3, 4, 5 years or more. I don't expect Love to ever show enough to be signed beyond his rookie contract by the Packers. We get more for him trading him sooner than later - probably. Until this season, I wouldn't have had much hope for the Packers if Rodgers goes down either with Love or otherwise. With the seemingly loaded team we have this year, though, maybe there would be some hope even if Rodgers got hurt. Bottom line for this season, though, is that I trust Benkert as the backup at least as much as Love. Showcase Love in the preseason, then trade him if possible, ideally for at least a third round pick.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thoroughly expecting Rodgers to play and play at a high level for 3, 4, 5 years or more. I don't expect Love to ever show enough to be signed beyond his rookie contract by the Packers. We get more for him trading him sooner than later - probably. Until this season, I wouldn't have had much hope for the Packers if Rodgers goes down either with Love or otherwise. With the seemingly loaded team we have this year, though, maybe there would be some hope even if Rodgers got hurt. Bottom line for this season, though, is that I trust Benkert as the backup at least as much as Love. Showcase Love in the preseason, then trade him if possible, ideally for at least a third round pick.
I think 5 years is really stretching it. He is already way down on his wheels. And he thinks about retirement. We'll see. I am definitely not in the camp to just throw Love away for a 3rd rounder. I am hoping he surprises during pre-season. But I hope LaFleur takes away one of his assets. I just don't see the upside to a QB running in pre-season.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be absolutely shocked if AR played another 5 years. I think HE knows he's not going to and I believe he told Adams as much which is why DA chose to go to LV and play with Carr, who has more runway left in him.

Reaction score

In the right conditions? Possibly. My contention is that at Lambeau in the single digits and windy? That isn’t where I’m super confident in a relatively inexperienced Wideout lighting it up.

Regardless of that fact. As people we like to pick n choose what parts we like and which parts we don’t like about past drafts. The reality is, teams don’t have the benefit of going back in time, they simply make real time moves that they believe will benefit the team as a whole. If you change the philosophy of our GM and his draft approach? Id argue you would also change his entire draft board

I absolutely think we could’ve drafted better here and there. I’m not willing to let my personal draft desires to deteriorate my season because it didn’t align with how I’d play GM. My hope (because although we disagree, I regard you as a fellow Packer fan) is that you don’t allow that to destroy your relationships with fans that might disagree with a draft approach.

The best that can happen for us Packer fans is that Love gets better. I’m going to root him on because he’s a Packer. It’s not his fault we drafted him, truthfully he’d probably wished he could've went to a team where he’d get a shot to play. 2 preseason games (coming off shoulder injury) and 1 official start is not enough to throw a career in high gear.

Last edited:

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought I was quoting SudsMcBucky with this, but I guess I mishandled the quote function.

Why wouldn't he? Brady is still going strong and is a full six years older than Rodgers. Rodgers seems to have a sturdier body and arguably is a lot more athletic than Brady as well as probably better than Brady or anybody at things like reading defenses. There has never been any indication that Rodgers has lost any competitive fire. Barring unexpected serious injury, I see no reason why Rodgers wouldn't play to at least the age Brady plays to.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I was quoting SudsMcBucky with this, but I guess I mishandled the quote function.

Why wouldn't he? Brady is still going strong and is a full six years older than Rodgers. Rodgers seems to have a sturdier body and arguably is a lot more athletic than Brady as well as probably better than Brady or anybody at things like reading defenses. There has never been any indication that Rodgers has lost any competitive fire. Barring unexpected serious injury, I see no reason why Rodgers wouldn't play to at least the age Brady plays to.
Brady never mentioned retirement in public that I am aware of

Rodgers has brought it in public and I'm convinced he did to the fo

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

His wheels have always been a big part of his game. Not so much with Brady imo. If that 1st quick step to get away from pressure starts to hurt or really slow down; it could be a problem for him. Unless he will be willing to take his reads and make the throw. He'll need a bit more time given to him though and not so much the time he makes for himself.

Reaction score

I’ve considered that also. One thing that absolutely helps Rodgers is that his diet is good and he takes care of himself. Even when his physical aspect diminishes some, I think he’ll still be very effective. We are witnessing how we are committed to supplying our QB with a plethora of protection. We’ve drafted more OL in the last couple of years than anytime since the draft rounds were reduced. As long as we protect him, there’s no doubt he can play until 44-45 years old. Unfortunately not every QB wants to play until 45. I think his career retirement over/under is 42yrs old.

That said. We may hit a crossroads before then. Rodger’s mobility/ability will regress in his 40’s. He’s very stubborn and in the near future he will likely want league high money when he drops into that top 10-15 type QB. That’s where he will likely force us to go a different direction. Just a guess.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Barring a major injury, I think Rodgers will retire well before his body requires him too. This is a very proud and intelligent guy, who is financially secured for 100 lives, he will do what is best for Aaron Rodgers. I don't pay much attention to NFL records, maybe there are some he is eye balling, but he won't play past the point where his body is a liability for the rest of his life.

Reaction score
Barring a major injury, I think Rodgers will retire well before his body requires him too. This is a very proud and intelligent guy, who is financially secured for 100 lives, he will do what is best for Aaron Rodgers. I don't pay much attention to NFL records, maybe there are some he is eye balling, but he won't play past the point where his body is a liability for the rest of his life.
I agree. He’s talking about retirement while in his prime. That’s concerning. I’m going off memory, but Aaron was already disgruntled before that Jordan Love selection. It’s my belief they considered that he might eventually force a trade or retire. I believe that was a legitimate concern. A tertiary concern for Gute was his play had declined slightly over a 3 year period and couple with a post-injury status.

Like it or not. I remember seeing mocks going QB at that time, before the draft. The problem is you rarely get a polished, big school, high ceiling QB remaining later in Round 1. Sure, we could’ve ignored QB or taken a later round flyer, but that decreases our chances of success significantly. I also heard that move also promoted WI liquor sales and changed National liquor consumption laws that month. :whistling:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.