Votes: 4 26.7%
  • K-U-U-U-U-U-H-H-H-H-N-N until the end of time

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a complete waste of a pick. Kuhn played 10.5% of the snaps during the first 14 games last season before Rodgers injured his calf in Tampa. There's absolutely no need to spend a draft pick on a backup at an seldom used position.

BTW there's no way Fowler could line up out wide in the NFL other than on some gimmick plays.

Not necessarily, look at the pick as a practice squad guy aimed at eventually replacing Kuhn and not someone trying to make the 53 man roster this year. He battles with Kuhn in camp and if he can't show that he is worthy of replacing him this year he is cut or goes to the PS. If he outplays Kuhn in camp then bye bye John.

If you are advocating don't waste the pick because you can pick one up as an UDFA that's a different argument but if there is a guy that Ted thinks may not make it through the draft then I don't have a problem with using the draft pick on him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not necessarily, look at the pick as a practice squad guy aimed at eventually replacing Kuhn and not someone trying to make the 53 man roster this year. He battles with Kuhn in camp and if he can't show that he is worthy of replacing him this year he is cut or goes to the PS. If he outplays Kuhn in camp then bye bye John.

If you are advocating don't waste the pick because you can pick one up as an UDFA that's a different argument but if there is a guy that Ted thinks may not make it through the draft then I don't have a problem with using the draft pick on him.

Once again, we're talking about spending a draft pick on a played most likely backing up a guy who played 10% of the snaps for most of last season. I really don't see the need for it.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, we're talking about spending a draft pick on a played most likely backing up a guy who played 10% of the snaps for most of last season. I really don't see the need for it.

I completely understand your point but I don't necessarily agree. If you are simply looking at 2015 then I agree with you but teams can and do draft for the future. If the Packers are intent on having a fullback on the roster after Kuhn leaves (and I am guessing they will) I'm not sure riding Kuhn until he drops and then grabbing the best guy we can find to replace him is the best way to approach it. Why not try to develop someone who shows more talent rather than just simply grabbing the best guy we can find when we need one.

D

Deleted member 6794

I completely understand your point but I don't necessarily agree. If you are simply looking at 2015 then I agree with you but teams can and do draft for the future. If the Packers are intent on having a fullback on the roster after Kuhn leaves (and I am guessing they will) I'm not sure riding Kuhn until he drops and then grabbing the best guy we can find to replace him is the best way to approach it. Why not try to develop someone who shows more talent rather than just simply grabbing the best guy we can find when we need one.

I really don't see the Packers continuing to use a FB once Kuhn is done. I'd rather have a TE capable of lining up as an H-back as well.

H

HardRightEdge

I really don't see the Packers continuing to use a FB once Kuhn is done. I'd rather have a TE capable of lining up as an H-back as well.
I agree with that in principle. I think we're up to a majority of teams that don't even carry a FB on the roster, so that view is approaching consensus.

However the Packers seem to eye TEs for pass catching first and blocking second, consequently there isn't a guy on the roster, nor has there been one, who you could say is a bona fide lead blocker who can also do some pass catching. Sometimes the value is where the other teams are not looking, which might be a block some/catch some FB.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with that in principle. I think we're up to a majority of teams that don't even carry a FB on the roster, so that view is approaching consensus.

However the Packers seem to eye TEs for pass catching first and blocking second, consequently there isn't a guy on the roster, nor has there been one, who you could say is a bona fide lead blocker who can also do some pass catching. Sometimes the value is where the other teams are not looking, which might be a block some/catch some FB.

There's no denying the Packers have lacked a TE capable of lining up as an H-back since releasing D.J. Williams.

With Kuhn being a lock to make the team and the Packers most likely not keeping two fullbacks on the roster I don't see the need to spend a draft pick on the position though.

Reaction score

Thank You!! Eloquently said!
There is something to be said about the FB/TE position consisting of a dominant blocker. Crab used to take DE's and literally pull a stronghold tork move that would lift the opponent off their feet and dismantles their ability to recover from being off balance for several seconds. (Similar to the principle we see when a RB leaves his feet and commits to the air he loses leverage) Guys that have that raw strength like Crabtree are a rarity and I personally think Tom was the best blocking TE we've seen in a decade.
Congrats Tom Crabtree. We miss you

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...mer-packers-te-tom-crabtree-retires/26635113/

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers failed to score a TD while on the opponents 1 yard line in three of the last four games
Last year - at Tampa Bay, Detroit at home and the Seattle playoff game. If Ripkowski can help us
Convert on those short yardage opportunities and play special teams, I believe he makes the final
Roster and eventually replaces Kuhn.

D

Deleted member 6794

Crab used to take DE's and literally pull a stronghold tork move that would lift the opponent off their feet and dismantles their ability to recover from being off balance for several seconds. (Similar to the principle we see when a RB leaves his feet and commits to the air he loses leverage) Guys that have that raw strength like Crabtree are a rarity and I personally think Tom was the best blocking TE we've seen in a decade.
Congrats Tom Crabtree. We miss you

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...mer-packers-te-tom-crabtree-retires/26635113/

Crabtree was an average pass blocker but was mostly bad in blocking for the run during his tenure with the Packers.

The Packers failed to score a TD while on the opponents 1 yard line in three of the last four games
Last year - at Tampa Bay, Detroit at home and the Seattle playoff game. If Ripkowski can help us
Convert on those short yardage opportunities and play special teams, I believe he makes the final
Roster and eventually replaces Kuhn.

The Packers probably want Ripkowski to eventually replace Kuhn at some point. I would still prefer to get a TE capable of being a receiving threat as well as lining up as an H-back. It seems those are pretty rare in today´s game though.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would still prefer to get a TE capable of being a receiving threat as well as lining up as an H-back. It seems those are pretty rare in today´s game though.

Maybe Backman is that kind of player. This is what he said to JSonline:

"I've played inside, I've played split out, I've played H-back in the backfield a little bit like a fullback," said Backman. "I think the versatility in that sense, being able to move from one side of the formation to another formation...is going to help me a lot. Maybe one of the reasons why they chose me."

And by the way, the guys at PFF liked him quite a bit. He has pretty solid run blocking grades:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe Backman is that kind of player. This is what he said to JSonline:

"I've played inside, I've played split out, I've played H-back in the backfield a little bit like a fullback," said Backman. "I think the versatility in that sense, being able to move from one side of the formation to another formation...is going to help me a lot. Maybe one of the reasons why they chose me."

And by the way, the guys at PFF liked him quite a bit. He has pretty solid run blocking grades:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

It´s good to see that he graded out pretty well vs. the best competition he faced vs. Mississippi State, Arkansas and Marshall.

BTW where do you have this info from??? As far as I know PFF doesn´t offer these grades to the public.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It´s good to see that he graded out pretty well vs. the best competition he faced vs. Mississippi State, Arkansas and Marshall.

BTW where do you have this info from??? As far as I know PFF doesn´t offer these grades to the public.

Twitter! Bryan Hall tweeted this. He tweets a lot of packer related PFF stuff. Unfortunately he only tweeted the grades of Backman and Rollins.

H

HardRightEdge

Backman looks like more of a blocker than a receiver. While he showed 4.66 speed at his pro day, that looks like straight line speed. If you watch him run routes, he looks a little stiff, slow out of his breaks and has a counting steps look about him. There's not much that's crisp in his game. I suspect he can run a go seam if his ball skills are up to it.

Being more H-back than true TE, I expect this guy to compete with Ripkowski for a spot.

Members online

Latest posts