The Difference and the similarity to the 96 superbowl team

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see some similarities here between the two teams. Neither team had that good of a run game.

96 team was a passing team and the running game was there just to keep the defense honest.
THIS year's team seems much the same in that way though we need to run a bit better to control the clock and to keep the opponents guessing.

Also, Packer DL is strong, such as the 96 team. There are quite a few differences but the game plan seems a lot alike with short passes that can be broken for big yardage, a pass first mentality and a stifling defense...

THIS packer team might just accomplish what the 96 team did. Let's hope that we stay healthy... Depth might be a concern in some positions.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 96 team used the pass to open up the run, which is why I was probably begging for more running plays in the 2nd half yesterday. But we won so I'm just going to shut my mouth and enjoy it.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the prime comparison between the teams is that, in spite of the expolsive 1996 offense, it was the defense that led us to the promised land....and LeRoy Butler in particular was stirring that drink.

This is going to be a fun team to watch.

Pack88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: The Difference and the similarity to the 96 superbowl te

One of the biggest differences betwen the 96 squad and now are playmakers in the defensive backfield and ST. Maybe 38 starts to look like Howard soon but I do not see Eugene Robinson and Butler back there!!
I do like the current GB front 7!

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biggest difference? No #94.
Reggie may have been past his prime but he led the defense. When they had to step it up he was the one who lit the fire under the other players.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i know you know reggie was 92. sometimes a guy just gets caught up in his typing, and has a little lapse, like that time i was talking about how Marquand Manuel, and i wanted to say he was a terrible safety, but i accidentally said i wanted to open-mouth kiss him. that was embarassing.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i know you know reggie was 92. sometimes a guy just gets caught up in his typing, and has a little lapse, like that time i was talking about how Marquand Manuel, and i wanted to say he was a terrible safety, but i accidentally said i wanted to open-mouth kiss him. that was embarassing.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I think I just hurt myself laughing. I have to go check myself and see if I am still dry.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I think I just hurt myself laughing. I have to go check myself and see if I am still dry.

maybe bozz wants to check?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

bozz_2006 said:

lol

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course it's early, but one similarity I like is that so far this team has done well in the third quarter. That was definitely the case in the first two games. Against San Diego, the Packers gave up that TD on the opening drive of the third quarter, but they pretty much owned the rest of the second half.

Holmgren's best teams usually put the hammer down in the third quarter.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see some similarities here between the two teams. Neither team had that good of a run game.

96 team was a passing team and the running game was there just to keep the defense honest.
THIS year's team seems much the same in that way though we need to run a bit better to control the clock and to keep the opponents guessing.

Also, Packer DL is strong, such as the 96 team. There are quite a few differences but the game plan seems a lot alike with short passes that can be broken for big yardage, a pass first mentality and a stifling defense...

THIS packer team might just accomplish what the 96 team did. Let's hope that we stay healthy... Depth might be a concern in some positions.

The '96 team had a good running game in my opinion...their passing game overshadowed it, but it was still good. Bennett and Levens rushed for a combined 1450+ yards and 7 TD's. With everyone's combined rushing yds, it was just under 2,000 yards and 9 TD's. I think that's pretty darn good considering they were "pass first" to open up the running game. I also remember Levens carrying us in the playoffs with his hard running attack when the weather turned colder. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in there. I agree with the rest though... :wink:

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

One of the biggest differences betwen the 96 squad and now are playmakers in the defensive backfield and ST. Maybe 38 starts to look like Howard soon but I do not see Eugene Robinson and Butler back there!!
I do like the current GB front 7!

Good point on ST. Although our ST have been good this year, the one big missing component is the homerun returner. We're missing Howard, but we could have had Rossum. He was picked up by the Steelers this year and already has a KO returned for a TD and his average is 37 ypr with 6 returns over 20 yards.

Maybe Blackmon will come on and turn out to be a very good returner. It would make a huge difference. It's easy for the offense to look great when you're always playing a short field.

GO PACK GO!!!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember a team that won the turnover battle like we are this year and the biggest difference to me is this team is much younger that the '96 squad.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no comparison from 96 to now.

Pass offense was better. Running game much much better. Special teams was better (so far). D-line was much better, secondary much better. Linebackers were about even. Coaching was better. My life was better as well :)

Like i said, no comparison but we're off to a good start.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
My life was loads easier in 96. All I had to worry about was how I'd wrestle on the varsity team.

Now, I have a six year old, a job, rent, bills, bills, bills and more bills.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My life was loads easier in 96. All I had to worry about was how I'd wrestle on the varsity team.

Now, I have a six year old, a job, rent, bills, bills, bills and more bills.

Ahh but your sweet wife makes it all worth it doesn't she?

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fatter, less hair, less fun, more bills & responsibilities. Less time to do things i want to do. Stay young and have fun, jesus christ.

starpass

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets face NE and the super bowl and beat them again...sorry Moss you made the wrong choice..

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score

de_real_deal said:
Fatter, less hair, less fun, more bills & responsibilities. Less time to do things i want to do. Stay young and have fun, jesus christ.

Wow. Thanks for the advice, buddy! I'm sure I can use it. I feel myself slippin' more and more into that style every day! =(

LordEvil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
running game

i was thinking last night, when we won the superbowl we didnt have that much of a running game then. on sunday vs the chargers we only ran the ball 13 times i think for close to 50 yards. if its working now throwing the football i say keep it up, make the team start play more nickel packages, and then try running more.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: running game

game one 139 yards rushing

game 2 171

game 3 132

1st 3 games were wins

game 4 60 ( loss )

on the season 1701 for the RB
4.3 yards per carry for entire season.

1995 is the year the running game wasnt really there