The debate should end...for now

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont think this D is starting out as slow as last year..

You 4get the Bears got 19 points on us in the opening game last year? ( special teams got a punt return td)

Bears got 361 yards total offense

Philly 283 total

~~~

Last year Philly on opening weekend got 441 yards and 24 points ( but was vs the Texans)

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You 4get the Bears got 19 points on us in the opening game last year? ( special teams got a punt return td)

Bears got 361 yards total offense

Philly 283 total

~~~

Last year Philly on opening weekend got 441 yards and 24 points ( but was vs the Texans)

Our D is good. The Eagles are a good team. Last year, they were #6 in points scored, so to limit them to only 283 yards and 13 points, we should be patting ourselves on the back.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It didn't.

The Defense was very solid against Philly. What is the one thing that has killed the Packers over and over. The BIG PLAY. Did Philly have it? They had one when Harris was out and they tested Williams. How well did the defense answer? Very good holding them to a field goal.

Brian Westbrook had his yards but he didn't do much with it. Once he got the football in the flat he was brought down right away. Nick Barnett did a great job holding him in check.

The Brett Favre fumble usually spells doom for the Packers but the defense came through again holding them to a 3 and out.

The Defense was solid against Philly. They weren't as good as San Diego or Chicago but they were one of the best 10 units in week 1.

The only negative I found on the Defense as a whole was A.J. Hawk. He had a very bad game.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk seemed to get lost in the shuffle for most of the day, but I didn't notice any big mistakes from him. He did miss a tackle against Westbrook in the flat one time, but the play only went for a two-yard gain, I think.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Hawk seemed to get lost in the shuffle for most of the day, but I didn't notice any big mistakes from him. He did miss a tackle against Westbrook in the flat one time, but the play only went for a two-yard gain, I think.

My impression was that he just had one of those OLB type days where you do your job, but nothing huge happens. I don't remember any receptions against him, which is a positive and he didn't really blitz all that often.

That's the thing about OLB's who aren't asked to blitz all that much. You may not even notice them, but if they are doing their job they can have a big impact regardless: blanketing in man coverage (hard to see with the crappy TV angles), shutting down passing lanes if they are in a zone, blowing up running lanes when the ball is run to their side by taking on blockers aggressively, etc.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

My impression was that he just had one of those OLB type days where you do your job, but nothing huge happens. I don't remember any receptions against him, which is a positive and he didn't really blitz all that often.

That's the thing about OLB's who aren't asked to blitz all that much. You may not even notice them, but if they are doing their job they can have a big impact regardless: blanketing in man coverage (hard to see with the crappy TV angles), shutting down passing lanes if they are in a zone, blowing up running lanes when the ball is run to their side by taking on blockers aggressively, etc.

Very well-said. I've enjoyed your comments this week. There were a few decent gains by Westbrook to Hawk's side, but nothing too damaging. As porky pointed out, that's pretty much how the entire defense played last Sunday.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Very well-said. I've enjoyed your comments this week. There were a few decent gains by Westbrook to Hawk's side, but nothing too damaging. As porky pointed out, that's pretty much how the entire defense played last Sunday.

Thanks. I'll probably continue to post here during the season, though I post on two other Packer sites as well.

Hawk had several games last year in the 5 tackle range and he'll likely have plenty more. I would like to see him blitz more often, but I think they like his abilities in pass D, so they don't use he or Barnett all that much in that aspect of the game.

When he does have a relatively quite game, I just want him to not have any glaring gaffes. I do remember missed tackle you mentioned above, though that isn't something we see out of him all that often.

This week, we could see him tested in the passing game if he is ever manned up on Shockey.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The debate will never end, nor should it.

A GM should always be under constant scrutiny to keep them on their toes. What I like about TT is that he's not afraid to take riskswhen it comes to the draft. He drafts his players regardless of where they're projected to go. We picked Jennings in the second when a lot of people thought he should have been a 3rd or 4th rounder. Tony Moll wasn't supposed to be drafted. James Jones - 6th or 7th rounder.

I do wish TT would take some risks in FA. Alas, you can't always get what you want.

Staff online

Latest posts