Studs and Duds Packers vs Browns pre wk 1

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carl Nassib, a high 3rd. round pick out of what used to be called Linebacker U., looks like he's going to be a pretty good football player. Oh, wait, this is the Packer forum. ;)
I was thinking the same thing last night. I enjoyed watching him in college. He is a lunch pail type of dude. I was hoping he would fall to the packers in the draft. But like you said, last night he showed his rush skills and ability to run down ball carrier. Crazy good play when he brought down Ctockett from behind, it looked like Crockett would have taken that screen 30+yds. Got to give credit where credit is do. Hopefully our rookie Dean Lowry shows the same ability to be well rounded.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't get to see Martinez much. Made a nice blitz or 2, but bounced off an attempted tackle and that didn't look good.

No it didn't look good, those types of plays extend the opponents drives. Reminded me of AJ Hawk.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No it didn't look good, those types of plays extend the opponents drives. Reminded me of AJ Hawk.
His run stop ability was in question when we drafted him. And after he slipped off Duke Johnson like water its still in question. Positives were he looked like a leader calling plays and adjustments. He had a nice blitz or 2 up the gut but overall wasnt a strong performance. I dont believe he played much either. It seemed like Bradford and Thomas were mostly manning the middle and doing a fine job for the most part.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Callahan and Williams are no doubt competing for 1 spot on the practice squad, so I would (hopefully) not be too concerned about seeing either in a regular season game anytime soon.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't get to see Martinez much. Made a nice blitz or 2, but bounced off an attempted tackle and that didn't look good.
That missed tackle looked horrible. I also I think everyone is expecting too much out of Martinez, so I'm not expecting too much out of him. I do think Carl Bradford will emerge.

I also thought Mortell looked great. His directional punting was pretty accurate. Giving Masthay a run for his money.

H

HardRightEdge

Callahan and Williams are no doubt competing for 1 spot on the practice squad, so I would (hopefully) not be too concerned about seeing either in a regular season game anytime soon.
If and when Rodgers misses time, which has happened in the past and will likely happen in the future, then the PS guy becomes like the VP, "one heartbeat away from the Presidency." Then you'll be concerned that C. or W. might become your Caleb Hanie.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's way too early to get excited about a player after the first preseason game but I was impressed with Jason Spriggs, who hopefully turns into a decent tackle.

I'll be curious to see how he carries his extra weight around next spring and summer, I have to imagine the staff will want him to add about 10 pounds of good weight.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Datone had a solid game. The

I heard he was more than solid, which doesn't exactly surprise me because he looked natural in the position in the past and he always was more of a finesse guy.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard he was more than solid, which doesn't exactly surprise me because he looked natural in the position in the past and he always was more of a finesse guy.
He had a very strong and fast rush and the stats don't show his impact. He made the QB rush a few throws and put some fire our pass rush!!

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone know exactly how many plays Clark played? I noticed someone mention Lowry starting which I didn't notice last night. Hopefully Clark stands out a little more Thursday vs Oakland.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If and when Rodgers misses time, which has happened in the past and will likely happen in the future, then the PS guy becomes like the VP, "one heartbeat away from the Presidency." Then you'll be concerned that C. or W. might become your Caleb Hanie.

Well I feel pretty good about our backup; hopefully Callahan or Williams will make the PS and grow into a serviceble backup eventually, but if we have to go 3 deep at QB again, we might as well give Matt Flynn a call again.

Either way, it will probably be much like 2013. Hope the rest of the division sucks and try to hang on for dear life.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone know exactly how many plays Clark played? I noticed someone mention Lowry starting which I didn't notice last night. Hopefully Clark stands out a little more Thursday vs Oakland.

Kenny Clark played behind Guion in a fairly nondescript performance I gather that he showed some decent mobility. Clark is just scratching the surface in terms of his talent. I expect him to be a good one once he has a full offseason and cleans up his technique issues.

Dougherty wrote that Lowry wasn't the rookie anyone expected out there... I have no idea as to what that means given that he's a 5th rounder. Does anyone have any thoughts on Lowry.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers need to keep Micah Hyde period. He's one of the most versatile players on the roster and he's got play making ability. His diving int. Reminded me of how Woodson used to do it. Kept the Browns from at least 3 points. He may not be the cover guy Shileds is but the fact that he can play the ANY position in the secondary and be effective in the return game makes him a priority.

Sky King

Reaction score
The Packers need to keep Micah Hyde period. He's one of the most versatile players on the roster and he's got play making ability. His diving int. Reminded me of how Woodson used to do it. Kept the Browns from at least 3 points. He may not be the cover guy Shileds is but the fact that he can play the ANY position in the secondary and be effective in the return game makes him a priority.
One point or three?

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wouldnt hurt my feelings to keep bahk and have 3 good tackles.

I agree, the these linemen get hurt, it is important to have quality backup and not just some turnstile that going to get Rodgers hurt.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With respect to the Defense obviously you want your best players in their best positions. But if push comes to shove Mike D could play some nose in relief of Guion. His leverage tenacity and endurance would make him a natural anchor and besides I don't think anyone else on our defense handles double teams as well.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, the these linemen get hurt, it is important to have quality backup and not just some turnstile that going to get Rodgers hurt.

If Spriggs continues to look the part at LT then no. It isn't worth paying Bakhtiari close to what he's going to command on the market just for depth purposes. I'm genuinely suprised even just two posters think it would be worth it.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Spriggs continues to look the part at LT then no. It isn't worth paying Bakhtiari close to what he's going to command on the market just for depth purposes. I'm genuinely suprised even just two posters think it would be worth it.

Bahk is garbage . Leave Spriggs there and let him learn the position.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If Bulaga misses many games because of injury again, his days in the Green and Gold could be numbered as well. Cap hit would have to be swallowed though.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bahk is garbage . Leave Spriggs there and let him learn the position.
Can you explain why you think Bak is Garbage? By no means can I say that is true. He is a young left Tackle heading into a contract year. I'm willing to bet he has a stellar year and gets voted Top 100 players next year by his peers. Plenty of teams would love to have him as their LT, which may show next offseason.