Solution for the Favre situation

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the solution. Tomorrow, come out with this statement:

"We understand that Brett would like to play in the NFL as a starter. Brett has done a lot for the Packers and the Green Bay community. So, we'd like to honor his request within reason. Even though Brett has 3 years left on his contract, we would be willing to do the following:

a. Let Brett contact any team in the NFL not located in the NFC North about becoming their starting QB.
b. If Brett finds a suitor, we will renegotiate Brett to whatever salary he requests for one year and deal him to that team for a fair draft pick.

We feel this allows both Brett the ability to find a position that's a good fit for him but also protects the interest of the current Green Bay Packer team."

IMO, one of the following happen:

1. a team like Baltimore or Tampa will convince him to play there and we get a pick in return
2. he won't find anyone and it will come out that he wants to go to Minnesota. At that point, PR will be completely against him.
3. He will end up staying retired because he doesn't want to play or no one will be willing to make him their starter at this point.

Any way you slice it, GB comes out fine.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I might be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that GB asked Favre for a list of teams he'd be willing to be traded to. That be a step in the direction you're thinking of.

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just saying make everything (except maybe the compensation public). So, in essence, assuming a team is willing to give a 4th or 5th round pick for a starting QB (which you would assume most would do), there's no real difference between that and Brett being a FA.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baltimore denied any interest in Favre last I heard. Personally I think the Packer's should just take him back. He clearly wants to play again, he clearly can play at a high level, and they still haven't started training camp yet. Sure, they'd have to reverse a few things, but it's not like Favre hasn't been with all those players and coaches for a long time.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baltimore denied any interest in Favre last I heard. Personally I think the Packer's should just take him back. He clearly wants to play again, he clearly can play at a high level, and they still haven't started training camp yet. Sure, they'd have to reverse a few things, but it's not like Favre hasn't been with all those players and coaches for a long time.

At this point, that seems nearly impossible. Each party is contradicting what the other party is saying, and the bad blood is really starting to show. I think too much damage has been done by both sides. It's the best case scenerio, and it'd be nice if everyone could just make up and be over with it, but I think it's already gone too far for it to go back to how it was.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They put in a new offense to match the skills of Aaron Rogers. Brett retired and the Packers drafted two quarterbacks. Which one of those rookies are you going to cut? Look I love watching Brett play, but the guy retired in good faith. The Packers moved on. It sounds as if the Packers did everything possible to get Brett to comeback. I think this was another one of those games that Brett has been playing for years when talking about retiring. Well, the Packers have now called him on it, and suddenly it's not a game anymore. Brett's been pulling this **** for years now. If I were the Packers I'd offer him a chance to come in and learn the new system and compete for the starters job. If he's better at it than Rogers, then you play Brett. If Rogers is ahead, then Brett has a choice to make again. He doesn't want to come back as a sub and I understand that, but then he should have made the right choice to start with.

Right now I'm pissed at Brett. This smells too much of dishonesty. The Packers have done everything possible to maintain his legacy and he keeps digging it deeper and deeper.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see only 2 reasons another team would want to pick Brett up in a trade.
1. They feel he is the key player that will put them over the top and give them a real shot at going to the Super Bowl for 1 or 2 years.
2. It is a terrible franchise that is desperate to get a fan base and realize that even if they are not a successful team people will come out just to watch Brett play.

In either case GB should be asking for a 2nd or 3rd round choice as a minimum and not a 4-5 round choice.

Other than that I like your comments Arles.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From left field perhaps but hear me out.

Packers release Aaron Rodgers and bring Favre back. They start grooming Brohm and Flynn. Rodgers ends up in Baltimore or TB or NYJ with a starting job. Favre takes the Packers to the SB and we do it all again next March.

Sweet and simple and almost everyone is happy.

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really not sure about the bolded part. He has yet to say that he's 100% dedicated and seems more interested in setting up a situation where he could DECIDE to come and play in 2-3 weeks - not one where he can play now. If Favre comes in rusty with a new set of plays and is only about 80% dedicated, I don't think he's a better option than Rodgers. He needs to be 100% focused in camp on day 1. And, I don't see the Brett Favre who just spoke tonight as a guy that's 100% driven to succeed as a starting QB right now.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
djcubez said:
I'm really not sure about the bolded part. He has yet to say that he's 100% dedicated and seems more interested in setting up a situation where he could DECIDE to come and play in 2-3 weeks - not one where he can play now. If Favre comes in rusty with a new set of plays and is only about 80% dedicated, I don't think he's a better option than Rodgers. He needs to be 100% focused in camp on day 1. And, I don't see the Brett Favre who just spoke tonight as a guy that's 100% driven to succeed as a starting QB right now.

Agreed.

jpigeon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point, that seems nearly impossible. Each party is contradicting what the other party is saying, and the bad blood is really starting to show. I think too much damage has been done by both sides. It's the best case scenerio, and it'd be nice if everyone could just make up and be over with it, but I think it's already gone too far for it to go back to how it was.

I agree. This situation didn't get any better last night. Baltimore isn't interested, at least that's what they've said, and the real fact of the matter is, he didn't come off at all in the interview as someone that really wants to play the game. Normally he'd expressed that sentiment, he never touched on it. Feels like this is all sour grapes and he just wants to call mangement out.

Only 2 things happen after that. First, lets not forget, he has to ask for reinstatement, assuming he does that, he'll be in camp ready to work OR he'll still be sitting on his tractor cutting his lawn. I kind of think he will stay retired.