So....MM still fired?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fired? No. I get critical at times with the 2 minutes offense since him and Rodgers have taken over but they have improved alot so I am ok with things.

I cant stand fans screaming for him to challenge plays.... He doesnt see what you see. Go stand on the field, you dont have the "TV views". Its really the coaches in the booth you need to complain about, he is at the mercy of them.

At least he doesnt have a ***********.

animalmother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Theres a difference between good playcalling and plays actually being executed. That makes it hard to distinguish whats a good call and what isn't. In atlanta the game was called similarly to what we saw today but obviously it wasn't executed as well.

missinghoagies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has no control over the special teams. The players who play special teams and the special teams coaches are the ones who are responsible. This is a tough one because we have so many injuries and a lot of those guys played Special Teams.

He has no control over special teams? Really? Well then who does if the HC is not ultimately responsible for every aspect of his team. Finally it is not just this year it is every year that they have been a problem including 2007 and it has cost them games. I think Fox put up the stat during the game 5-15 in games decided by a TD or less going back a couple years. Don't you think clock management and emphasis on special teams helps win a couple more of those games, to his credit MM has finally taken care of the penalities. Hopefully he will continue to grow as a coach and become a truly elite coach as there is no doubt he has the ability to do so.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's remember, we're not in the playoffs just yet.

My complaint with MM has to do with his assistants-particularly his o line coach and offensive coordinator. They were hired to implement the zone blocking scheme and didn't have any particular expertise in it other than working under Zago for a year. I think these coaches have primary responsibility for not developing a consistently dominating line, like we saw yesterday.

Mike seems to be a principled man who has great loyalty to his fellow coaches. This admirable trait needs to be secondary to his loyalty to the team. He needs to get some new assistants after this season on offense and on special teams, just as he did when he found Capers.

Capers' defense has had as many injuries as offense and special teams and Capers has managed to maintain excellence. The other coaches need to do the same.

If MM is unable, or unwilling, to do this it may result in his job.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has no control over special teams? Really? Well then who does if the HC is not ultimately responsible for every aspect of his team. Finally it is not just this year it is every year that they have been a problem including 2007 and it has cost them games. I think Fox put up the stat during the game 5-15 in games decided by a TD or less going back a couple years. Don't you think clock management and emphasis on special teams helps win a couple more of those games, to his credit MM has finally taken care of the penalities. Hopefully he will continue to grow as a coach and become a truly elite coach as there is no doubt he has the ability to do so.

I think the point being made is that injuries have plagued our special teams THIS season more so than any other component this year.

When a starter goes out on IR, his backup is brought up. This often requires a reduced role on Special Teams as you don't want to expose your new starter to an increased risk injury.

We lost 13 guys to IR this season. All of those guys had to be brought up from Special Teams and practice squads, which means THOSE guys now have to be replaced with whoever is available on the street. Considering there's a reason why they're on the street in the first place, the drop off in talent is pretty steep.

Hence, soft Special Teams THIS season.

No, it doesn't explain the previous two seasons. This was supposed to be the year we saw a marked improvement in ST's, but we didn't.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the point being made is that injuries have plagued our special teams THIS season more so than any other component this year.

When a starter goes out on IR, his backup is brought up. This often requires a reduced role on Special Teams as you don't want to expose your new starter to an increased risk injury.

We lost 13 guys to IR this season. All of those guys had to be brought up from Special Teams and practice squads, which means THOSE guys now have to be replaced with whoever is available on the street. Considering there's a reason why they're on the street in the first place, the drop off in talent is pretty steep.

Hence, soft Special Teams THIS season.

No, it doesn't explain the previous two seasons. This was supposed to be the year we saw a marked improvement in ST's, but we didn't.

That guard run vs the Pats is perfect example.

At point of attack I counted 2 players not on the roster for 1st game of the year..And one was not active for the 1st game of the year

missinghoagies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That guard run vs the Pats is perfect example.

At point of attack I counted 2 players not on the roster for 1st game of the year..And one was not active for the 1st game of the year

So it was okay that an offensive lineman took it 71 yards down to the 4? How does that explain all the previous years and basically the same problems lack of consistent coverage, horrible punting and I mean horrible, inconsistent kicking, and less then average return teams with a few gems from the punt return team.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So it was okay that an offensive lineman took it 71 yards down to the 4? How does that explain all the previous years and basically the same problems lack of consistent coverage, horrible punting and I mean horrible, inconsistent kicking, and less then average return teams with a few gems from the punt return team.

Stop trying to make my comment more into anything else, because I am not trying to explain away past years, not saying why it was OK for that guard to run wild..

Sparta was explaining why there are 3rd stringers or street free agents on special teams..

Just gave example I saw

Reaction score
He has no control over the special teams. The players who play special teams and the special teams coaches are the ones who are responsible. This is a tough one because we have so many injuries and a lot of those guys played Special Teams.

Sure MM is responsible but does he have any control over it? Im pretty sure Dom Capers calls the defense does MM get the credit for defense? It's the same story for special teams. The special team coach probably tells the special teams unit the coverage. The only thing MM probably controls is if he wants an onside kick or a squib kick. Sure the 5-15 record is a good amount of his fault but in 2008, Rodgers first season. I can recall about 5 games where the offense got us the lead in the 4th quarter but the defense was so bad that year they gave up a touchdown right after that. Stats don't always tell the truth.

missinghoagies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop trying to make my comment more into anything else, because I am not trying to explain away past years, not saying why it was OK for that guard to run wild..

Sparta was explaining why there are 3rd stringers or street free agents on special teams..

Just gave example I saw

Just wondering if you are ever critical or are you a paint the face type of fan, "gotta support the team", cmon man turn to the darkside:) Just having a little fun take no offense. We both know it was not okay for a lineman to rumble 71 yards tot he 4.

missinghoagies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure MM is responsible but does he have any control over it? Im pretty sure Dom Capers calls the defense does MM get the credit for defense? It's the same story for special teams. The special team coach probably tells the special teams unit the coverage. The only thing MM probably controls is if he wants an onside kick or a squib kick. Sure the 5-15 record is a good amount of his fault but in 2008, Rodgers first season. I can recall about 5 games where the offense got us the lead in the 4th quarter but the defense was so bad that year they gave up a touchdown right after that. Stats don't always tell the truth.

Proved my point for me, MM who is ultimately responsible for the play of the Green Bay Packers and I believed he fired 5 or 6 defensive assistants including Sanders after the 2008 season, he then brought in Capers and should get the credit for it along with how well the defense has played.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Just wondering if you are ever critical or are you a paint the face type of fan, "gotta support the team", cmon man turn to the darkside:) Just having a little fun take no offense. We both know it was not okay for a lineman to rumble 71 yards tot he 4.

:chisux:
I hate Crosby, I hate our special teams, I hate that we cant run the ******* ball...

But unlike others I know my comments will not make the team do anything..

I am not going to get all bent out of shape and post my rants every ******* day like some of the people here, cuz it wont do anything to make Ted change his ways

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score

never. you are right

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I haven't posted here in God knows forever but I just had to when reading this thread. Playcalling is great when it is EXECUTED. When it's not executed, it looks like a horrible play call. Sorry, but this is a huge point of contention with me is when people talk about playcalling...
Thank you, I have to roll my eyes when people keep clamoring about play calling. It has to be they're complaining about execution.

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still not fully on the wagon. I do think if he is fired the players would be pissed. We'll have to see where this run takes us right now. Couldn't believe he out coached Belichick but I don't expect it to happen again.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you, I have to roll my eyes when people keep clamoring about play calling. It has to be they're complaining about execution.
I understand what you are saying, but it's not that easy.

Against the Lions, we weren't being able to run the ball or pass the ball effectively from under center (I've done the breakdown from under center and shotgun). But we were from shotgun. No, it wasn't perfect, but we were having more sucess when we spread them out.

Was there failure in execution? Absolutely. MM's gameplan work perfectly when the PA works. The offense is almost unstoppable.

However, it wasn't just execution. There were parts of the offense that were working.

Yet MM failed to acknowledge and correct that, sticking with "jumbo" formations and playaction passes, even though we weren't able to run the ball.

My great beef with MM's playcalling is the lack of adjustement.

Of course execution plays a huge role in it. Had the line play moderately well against the Lions, the playcalling would've been good.

But, against the Lions, with the kind of talent we have on offense, to not be able to score a single TD, when we were having some sucess in the shotgun and with quick passes? That is a lot on the playcalling.

It's not just the Lions' game. Last year MM spent the first half of the season trying to go vertical. Yes, if we have decent OL play, if it's not Alan Barbre and Colledge at both tackle spots, it might've worked.

But the playcalling, namely the adjustement, IS to blame for a lot that has happened.

My two cents.

arrimike

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, we can say that he is a good coach, not a great coach. He is the kind of coach that can take a superb team to the playoffs year after year, but he is not the coach to take us to the Super Bowl like Belichick. It seems to me, that McCarthy struggles with a great team. Belichick can take an alright team and turn it into a superb team. MM shows no sign of being able to do that. Still want him fired. He just has made too many mistakes for me to think otherwise, even if he does put a pounding on the Bears.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you know that when James Jones drops passes, its play calling and not execution

arrimike

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you realize that Bill Belichick was head coach of the Cleveland Browns for 5 years and had a 36-44 record?

How do you know McCarthy isn't on the verge of becoming a great coach? He needs to work on his game management a bit, but I think that is correctable. He has proven he can win, can take a team deep into the playoffs, can handle adversity, can develop players, can hire and manage a very good staff, and that he can work effectively with his boss.

And, he WILL NOT be fired after this season. There is a much better chance of him being Coach of the Year than for him to be fired. Mark Murphy and Ted Thompson are smarter than that and they are running the ship (fortunately). Hope for it .. fine ... but it ain't happening.

I do think there are a few assistant coaches who may lose their jobs (Slocum and Campen), but McCarthy will not.

I guess his fantastic play calling did us well in the 2008 NFC Championship game. Couldn't move the ball one inch. Has won one playoff game since being in GB to a mediocre Seattle team. Has won one divisional title in what we can probably agree on, has been one of the weaker in the NFL over the years. I like him as a head coach. He seems to make the rights calls there, but as a offense coordinator, not the best in the business. Lets say, I would like to see him get "fired" from that position and just be a full time head coach. And I do agree that if we win Sunday, he is most likely a shoe in for coach of the year.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, one game won't sway me. I'll decide when I look at the season as a whole. But can you really blame the ppl who wanted MM fired (I didn't btw)? When he screwed up.... he REALLY screwed up.

arrimike

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got to agree with PakersRS. The way that this division plays every year, we should be able to win it almost every year, not once in 5 years. When this kind of thing happens, you just stop looking at the players and you turn towards the coaching staff. They just ain't getting the job done. And if you are satisfied with, which you seem to be glad with crappy calls, then you my friend should turn in your Packer card. I'm tired of fans being glad with a 13-3 record, 11-5 record last year and going no where with it. At some point, some one is going to have to take us to the next level and when you have a overly talented team that does all they can, you look for a new coach. Trust me, couple more seasons like last years or this years, MM is gone. History has shown so. TT is a smart guy, he will give him another shot, but when the job ain't getting done with a team like the Packers, the coach is always to blame and will take the heat.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy reminds me of Sean Payton. Both run pass heavy offenses where they can start damning themselves by abandoning the rushing game. However, the biggest difference is how Payton has handled his teams in situations of adversity. I'm not sure how much of that is on McCarthy or just the team being young and inexperienced... but when this team can start closing games, I think McCarthy has the makings of a Super Bowl winning coach.

HOWEVER, I've had that "if" belief for 3 seasons. The Packers haven't been able to close games effectively since 2008. I don't want him fired and have faith in what he's doing, but I have begun wondering if McCarthy can get us over the hill, or if he'll be at a standstill, kind of like Andy Reid at the NFC championship game (Minus the one season they played N.E.).

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I still say fire his worthless ***, and hopefully TT also.

Why on Earth would we fire Ted when he's stacked this team with enough depth and talent that we can sustain an unbelievable amount of injuries and still maybe win 10 games and get to the Playoffs?

I'm guessing you're still bitter about Favre or something, because there's no rational reason to fire Ted. None at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts