So....MM still fired?

missinghoagies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe MM should get a little more criticism from the Packer patrons(good alliteration there:)) but to really want him fired is a little over the top even for me, believe me I here your frustration with most if not all your points PackerRS but I seem to remember Mike Holgrem led teams having huge let down games and being unable to win a tough game against a more talented team or with just as much talent until they broke through in 1995 vs. the 9ers and then they blew a 4th qtr lead vs. Dallas in NFC Championship game. To me MM just does too many big things right(like QB development, most important thing in today's NFL). Remember he saved Farve's broken down butt and got control over the gunslinger, then Rogers and now seemingly Flynn...he has taken care of the penalities which was the bane of my existence for years, maybe he gets better with emphasizing special teams, running game and game management issues and if he does he becomes an elite coach in my opinion right now we are dealing with a poor man's Andy Reid, he is not going to be fired nor should he as he has too much upside, Plus just think how close they were to hiring Chilly, I would rather have a coach with some warts then take a chance on a guy who might be a wart like Ray Rhodes or Chilly or for that matter even Mike Sherman(and I liked Sherman but he let Favre go out of control and it affected the entire team)

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's some good points being brought up here but I don't think it matters, I don't think MM is going anywhere next year. Fact is, we've been absolutely decimated with injuries, and he's still pulled off a winning season and probably even a playoff berth. With that in mind, TT won't get rid of him. Not without seeing what he could do with a fully healthy squad now. Keep in mind that our team, if not this year, is ready to contend for the next few years, I don't think TT would want to try and bring in a new coach for the whole team to become acclimated to.

BiggTexPackman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM was a joke when he got hired, coordinator for the #32 ranked offense (San Francisco)! What was TT thinking?!? He single handedly lost the Detroit game with his horrible play calling, all of a sudden trying to develop a running game in week #14, when they could've made a move for a Lynch (Buffalo) or Choice (Dallas). I have seen a lot of teams lose games with "Prevent Defense"; MM is the 1st I've seen lose several with "Prevent Offense". MM and TT: GOT TO GO!!!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM was a joke when he got hired, coordinator for the #32 ranked offense (San Francisco)! What was TT thinking?!? He single handedly lost the Detroit game with his horrible play calling, all of a sudden trying to develop a running game in week #14, when they could've made a move for a Lynch (Buffalo) or Choice (Dallas). I have seen a lot of teams lose games with "Prevent Defense"; MM is the 1st I've seen lose several with "Prevent Offense". MM and TT: GOT TO GO!!!

TT needs to go? Really? Spoken like a Brett Favre ball washer. You do realize TT is more responsible for all of the success we're having than not, right? He's the reason we've even been remotely competitive this season.

I was critical of the MM hiring because of where he came from, but he took a 4-12 team to 8-8 then to 13-3 and a berth in the NFC Championship game.

An injury plagued defense a year later caused us to go 6-10, but we bounced back to go 11-5 and now have our second winning season in a row and a second consecutive shot at making the playoffs.

All under MM.

Yup, let's fire the guy that gets wins because he makes a mistake or two here and there.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He has his shortcomings, but offense isn't one of them. Last time I looked, our offense ranks 5th in passing, 8th in scoring, 8th in total yards. We rank 22 in rushing, which is only 2 spots ahead of the mighty Bears--who people here seem to think are a super team.

Many of us think the failure to develop a dominating offensive line is MM's primary shortcoming. I'm one of them, and it will eventually cost him his job if he doesn't correct it. If the last 2 games is any indication, he has corrected it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why do favre fans even come on here spewing nonsense?

Trade for Lynch? Why? What has he done that makes him better than Jackson and Kuhn? Give up a draft pick or two for nothing in terms of production? Which games do we win with choice or lynch that we lost with kuhn and jackson?

Cant bring yourself to praise TT for Raji and Matthews? Or any of the draft picks this year?

BiggTexPackman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll give you TT has come around to do some pretty good things, I have had to adjust my opinion of him. I do still hold a grudge against him for the handling of the Favre situation, even if it was the correct decision. If MM continues to throttle the offense when they've got a lead, my issues with him will settle as well, I still stand by his use of prevent offense & if there had been a better running game in place all season, A-Rod probably wouldn't have either concussion, especially the one at Detoit.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Favreites all think their hero should be given anything he wants. Thompson handled things just fine as far as most Packer fans are concerned. The Interceptor's selfishness is never better demonstrated than in his post-game pressers this year. He loves to tell everyone how great his career has been after his team has been destroyed. What a guy.

BiggTexPackman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure who said it earlier, but I agree. I think MM is a above average head coach in a league that is probably replacing 1/3 of the coaches this year. I do however think he should give up the play calling. The 1st three possessions against Detroit were terrible. The 1st and goal series against New England equally bad.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure who said it earlier, but I agree. I think MM is a above average head coach in a league that is probably replacing 1/3 of the coaches this year. I do however think he should give up the play calling. The 1st three possessions against Detroit were terrible. The 1st and goal series against New England equally bad.

is it playcalling or execution?

BiggTexPackman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the New England game it was play calling, when you run the same play on 1st & 2nd without gaining an inch & go right back to it on 3rd! To me that is play calling. That was a huge momentum shift in that game which we dominated and should have won, minus the 3 or 4 interceptions the we dropped. And against Detroit, I don't have a beef with trying to establish a running game, but to start a game with 8 runs in the 1st 9 plays, all 3 & out! The pass works, at least use it to open the run... just my opinion.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
In the New England game it was play calling, when you run the same play on 1st & 2nd without gaining an inch & go right back to it on 3rd! To me that is play calling. That was a huge momentum shift in that game which we dominated and should have won, minus the 3 or 4 interceptions the we dropped. And against Detroit, I don't have a beef with trying to establish a running game, but to start a game with 8 runs in the 1st 9 plays, all 3 & out! The pass works, at least use it to open the run... just my opinion.

Detroit they did 8 runs in 1st 9 plays? you sure?

NFL Game Center: Green Bay Packers at Detroit Lions - 2010 Week 14

1st drive
pass
pass( quarless fumbled)

2nd drive
run
pass
sack
punt

3rd
run
run
pass
punt

8 plays, 5 pass atts, 3 runs

Rutnstrut

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all your post you have made have been negative and against TT and MM. Are you just trolling? Cant you talk about anything other than TT and MM?

Nope not trolling, and am I not entitled to my opinion? IMO MM is just not that great of a coach, as far as TT. My dislike for him has nothing to do with the Favre situation. I just dislike his lack of doing anything to make the team win NOW. His lack of pulling the trigger on a RB is just the latest of his screw ups in free agency. A team NEEDS a solid running game to progress in the playoffs. I would love to be proved wrong this year though.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope not trolling, and am I not entitled to my opinion? IMO MM is just not that great of a coach, as far as TT. My dislike for him has nothing to do with the Favre situation. I just dislike his lack of doing anything to make the team win NOW. His lack of pulling the trigger on a RB is just the latest of his screw ups in free agency. A team NEEDS a solid running game to progress in the playoffs. I would love to be proved wrong this year though.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I agree that we lack a running game, but please don't act like our RB's are complete dirt. Our OL couldn't open up pockets for the life of them. There are very few AD's, MJD's and CJ's and a "pretty good" RB wouldn't have a great deal more success than our current RBs.

On top of that, this team has never been a NOW team. We have never been the desperate, scramble for free agents, type of team like MN and NYJ. And this will make us a threat for a hell of alot of years.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Win NOW, like the Vikings?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Win NOW, like the Vikings?
Exactly. The future is looking very rosy for the Vikings and the other WIN NOW franchise the Redskins. Why can't we get a GM who wants to WIN NOW?

People think that winning in the NFL is just a decision. That one GM each year thinks, 'I think we should try and win the Superbowl this year', so he does. That TT plans to not win the Superbowl for God knows what reason. There are 31 other teams that want to win also. Signing FAs, in most cases, makes your team worse,not better. In reality, TT signed Woodson, Pickett and Chillar; and are the only moderate to high dollar FAs. All three have been a success. TT is probably the only GM batting 1000 in the mid to high FA market. One could argue that he is, therefore, the most successful GM in FA.

ClayMatthews

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think MM should not be fired. He is a good head coach, BUT I think that the Packers should really hire an offensive coordinator. Sometimes MM plays calls just shine, and everything works. But then there are those days where its a 4th and 1 and you need one yard to keep the game alive and you call a 40 yard bomb with your back up in type calls. I like MM but they need an offensive coordinator.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are entitled to your opinion, and I agree that we lack a running game, but please don't act like our RB's are complete dirt. Our OL couldn't open up pockets for the life of them. There are very few AD's, MJD's and CJ's and a "pretty good" RB wouldn't have a great deal more success than our current RBs.

On top of that, this team has never been a NOW team. We have never been the desperate, scramble for free agents, type of team like MN and NYJ. And this will make us a threat for a hell of alot of years.

Well said.

ANYONE who says we need to give up draft picks for in-season trades is just an idiot. I'm sorry, but we've been over this nonsense over and over again. There's many a RB thread on this forum, and it keeps getting proven to the naysayers that we made the RIGHT decision in not trading for Marshawn Lynch based on our team's actual needs.

Besides, he's done **** for Seattle. Jackson has had a MUCH better season.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. The future is looking very rosy for the Vikings and the other WIN NOW franchise the Redskins. Why can't we get a GM who wants to WIN NOW?

People think that winning in the NFL is just a decision. That one GM each year thinks, 'I think we should try and win the Superbowl this year', so he does. That TT plans to not win the Superbowl for God knows what reason. There are 31 other teams that want to win also. Signing FAs, in most cases, makes your team worse,not better. In reality, TT signed Woodson, Pickett and Chillar; and are the only moderate to high dollar FAs. All three have been a success. TT is probably the only GM batting 1000 in the mid to high FA market. One could argue that he is, therefore, the most successful GM in FA.

Yup. People think running a real football team is akin to running a Madden franchise. Sorry, but it's not. You can't just plug and play players and expect them to perform at a high level right away. Real life doesn't work that way.

Rutnstrut

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said.

ANYONE who says we need to give up draft picks for in-season trades is just an idiot. I'm sorry, but we've been over this nonsense over and over again. There's many a RB thread on this forum, and it keeps getting proven to the naysayers that we made the RIGHT decision in not trading for Marshawn Lynch based on our team's actual needs.

Besides, he's done **** for Seattle. Jackson has had a MUCH better season.

We will see how well jackson does post season if they get there. Although I would love to be wrong, I am still saying lack of a running game will do them in come the playoffs.